Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 231070 times)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #490 on: April 28, 2012, 04:25:45 PM »
ya, im actually finding Devil's Playground to be near perfect. there's a bit of a lull in the middle of the song for me. but really, the song is just outstanding (maybe i'm just gushing over the track's freshness for me, and i'll cool on it a bit when the novelty wears off).

interesting you guys bring up man over board. i've really been grooving on it lately more than previous. dat time sig.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #491 on: April 29, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
Been awhile since I've spun UTF in it's entirety as I've been listening to earlier TFK (TFK, BITWOA, Retropolis, and SWA), as well as Adam & Eve in the last day (which I've come to appreciate a bit more now than I used to), although The Rainmaker still doesn't get as much attention as any of the other albums.

Unfold The Future is, and will most likely stay, a top 3 TFK album for me - it's got long songs, short songs, jams, and a lot of variety without being all over the place. That, and I just LOVE the album art.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #492 on: April 29, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »
Listened to Stardust We Are for the first time today. I'm just getting into TFK and I was kind of hesitant to listen one of their double albums because I was afraid that I'd lose interest in the album. I really liked it but there's a lot to take in. Its going to take a few more listens before I can really form an opinion. I did really like The Church of Your Heart and the title track.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #493 on: April 29, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
Stardust We Are is one of their best albums, and the title track is among their best epics, hell, among prog rock's best epics (along with most other TFK epics). I like the 2nd disc a lot because many of the tracks hint at the title track to come, though the disc also has a couple of their weaker moments too, but luckily, they're short.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #494 on: April 29, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »
Ghost of the Red Cloud is fantastic.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #495 on: May 15, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #496 on: May 15, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
Been waiting for someone to revive this thread.

Thanks for the link, but I'm trying to not hear anything from the new album until my hard copy is in my hands. I tried to do that with ADTOE last year, but, well, let's say I gave in to temptation.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #497 on: May 15, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »
Pre-orders are up on the band's own website, although they only include the single CD and the digipak special edition 2CD set, but not the 2LP/2CD bundle that is mentioned on the front page...sad, as I would've bought the vinyl in addition to the CDs, but I went ahead and got the 2CD set.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #498 on: May 16, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »
Who would have thought The Flower Kings would be on Blabbermouth?

https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=174068

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #499 on: May 16, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
Listened to Stardust We Are for the first time today...I did really like The Church of Your Heart and the title track.

church of your heart is amazing. i got married 2 summer's back, and our wedding songs were DT's I Walk Beside You and POS' This Heart Of Mine. but had i already known 'Church' (which i only got to know just over a year ago), i probly woulda decided it was the ultimate wedding song and bumped one of the other two (or added a third, i s'pose)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #500 on: May 16, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »
Who would have thought The Flower Kings would be on Blabbermouth?

https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=174068

Very nice! :)

church of your heart is amazing. i got married 2 summer's back, and our wedding songs were DT's I Walk Beside You and POS' This Heart Of Mine. but had i already known 'Church' (which i only got to know just over a year ago), i probly woulda decided it was the ultimate wedding song and bumped one of the other two (or added a third, i s'pose)

I could see that being a good wedding song, even with its extended length.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #501 on: May 17, 2012, 12:16:09 AM »
^ ya, it might be too much for some of the guests. an edit (sacrilege!) might be required.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #502 on: May 17, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #503 on: May 18, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Looks like we got some confirmation from Roine on the TFK Yahoo Group concerning why there is 2 discs when all the songs can fit onto one.

Quote from: Roine Stolt
[There is] a 23 minute interview film -
The other thing is that the songs on the bonus didn't really fit the concept- they're a tiny bit lightweight and upbest -
but well produced.

This is the way to go - trust me.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #504 on: May 25, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »
So it's now 4 weeks before Banks of Eden will be released. Is anyone as excited as I am? I'm trying to not listen to the band much until the new album comes out, because I'm sure the new album will throw me on a serious Flower Kings kick. Luckily I have been keeping myself busy with Agents of Mercy, Karmakanic, Spock's Beard, Yes, and Beardfish  ;D

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: May 25, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »
So I picked up a used copy of Paradox Hotel but I'm trying to figure out why this one has a different cover than the regular one. I can't even find a picture of this one online, but it has sort of a leather book texture on it and it just says Paradox Hotel Guest Book on the front. Any idea what's up with this copy?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #506 on: May 25, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »
So I picked up a used copy of Paradox Hotel but I'm trying to figure out why this one has a different cover than the regular one. I can't even find a picture of this one online, but it has sort of a leather book texture on it and it just says Paradox Hotel Guest Book on the front. Any idea what's up with this copy?

That's the cover for the liner notes, right? IIRC, that's the liner notes booklet that comes in the digipak of the album, not the jewel case. The jewel case version that I own is a promo version that has no lyrics but only a single-sheet insert folded in half with the cover art on the outside, and a list of tour dates on the inside.

-Marc.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: May 25, 2012, 10:19:55 PM »
Somebody must have taken it out of a Digipack and put it in a jewel case then. :lol

The back cover is even right, it's just the front that's off.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #508 on: May 25, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »
So it's now 4 weeks before Banks of Eden will be released. Is anyone as excited as I am?

Honestly, not really.  I am far more excited about the upcoming Rush CD, but once I get the TFK CD, I am sure I will be excited to listen to it.  I am cautiously optimistic that it will be great, but I have to admit that the relatively short length (by their standards) has me a bit worried that they went all-prog again from start to finish, and the diversity of all kinds of different styles is what makes their best albums their best albums, IMO.  I hope I am wrong.  I know the bonus songs will make it come out to almost 80 minutes, so time will tell.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #509 on: May 31, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
Roine mentioned on the TFK Yahoo Group that they sold out copies of Banks of Eden in pre-orders. That's awesome for the band and I hope they get on the Billboard charts (not that I really care about the charts, but it'd be good for exposure).

But don't worry, he said he ordered more CDs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #511 on: May 31, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
Roine mentioned on the TFK Yahoo Group that they sold out copies of Banks of Eden in pre-orders. That's awesome for the band and I hope they get on the Billboard charts (not that I really care about the charts, but it'd be good for exposure).

But don't worry, he said he ordered more CDs.

I was gonna say, I wanted to buy one.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #512 on: May 31, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »
30 second samples https://www.amazon.co.uk/Banks-of-Eden/dp/B0084T6NW8/ref=sr_shvl_album_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338506926&sr=301-4

Hmmm, sounds good! I cannot wait for this album. Between this and Rush's new album, I'll be pretty busy through June with new music!

And good thing I pre-ordered less than an hour after Roine put the pre-orders up on the TFK site! I hope mine gets signed like he said many will be!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #513 on: May 31, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Must.... resist.... urge.... to.... listen to previews!

I want it to be completely fresh when I hear it. I'm still annoyed at myself for checking out ADTOE when it leaked.

I hope my local shop is getting Banks of Eden, they have most of the other TFK albums there, and are generally good when it comes to having new prog releases. I checked with them yesterday, and they weren't sure. But it was some woman who Ive never seen working there before, so who knows.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #514 on: May 31, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »
was she cute at least?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #515 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »
was she cute at least?

Well she was probably in her 40s, she was in good shape, and OK-looking I guess. Of course, I wish it was a 23 year old brunette that doesn't have 1000 piercings and is into prog rock. I'd have hung around all day.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #516 on: June 01, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »
Looks like Roine is going to re-release the TFK back catalog...

Pale Rider
Just looking up some cool bonus material for the old TFK catalogue. New series coming this year - luxury pax.
What do YOU think is cool - live material - demos - videos ? Let us know. Off tomorrow for extensive rehearsal of the TFK golden oldies but with a brutal backbeat. Motorhead won't live thru this.......

Luxury "pax", eh? Looks like we may get 2-disc versions of one-disc albums and 3-disc versions of 2-disc albums (or more!). Cannot wait to see what they pull out of the "archives" to add to these sets. I wonder if there will be boxsets....

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #517 on: June 01, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »

Pale Rider
Just looking up some cool bonus material for the old TFK catalogue. New series coming this year - luxury pax.
What do YOU think is cool - live material - demos - videos ? Let us know. Off tomorrow for extensive rehearsal of the TFK golden oldies but with a brutal backbeat. Motorhead won't live thru this.......

Luxury "pax", eh? Looks like we may get 2-disc versions of one-disc albums and 3-disc versions of 2-disc albums (or more!). Cannot wait to see what they pull out of the "archives" to add to these sets. I wonder if there will be boxsets....

-Marc.

I just finished buying up all the TFK studio albums, and 1 live album, over the course of the last year and a half.  :facepalm:

Well, I'll only consider buying these new editions if there's anything worth having. I'd be down for more jams from Unfold the Future, and maybe bonus songs that were recorded on any of the albums, but then left on the back burner (if those exists, since Roine seems to release everything under the sun lol).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #518 on: June 01, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »

Pale Rider

-Marc.

I just finished buying up all the TFK studio albums, and 1 live album, over the course of the last year and a half.  :facepalm:

Well, I'll only consider buying these new editions if there's anything worth having. I'd be down for more jams from Unfold the Future, and maybe bonus songs that were recorded on any of the albums, but then left on the back burner (if those exists, since Roine seems to release everything under the sun lol).

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've spent the last 7 years buying all of their albums, and I do mean ALL of their albums, that have been officially released (no Fan Club discs), and a few really rare items, especially Japanese Versions of their albums (Space Revolver, Adam & Eve, both with Bonus tracks not featured anywhere else, as well as the Limited Edition of The Rainmaker, also with a bonus disc).

If the re-issues contain all the Japanese/European exclusive tracks, as well as some live stuff (either audio or video), then I might get them, especially if the packaging is pretty sweet.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #519 on: June 04, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »
So is everyone getting the 2CD special edition of Banks of Eden? I hope so, because the second disc will be just more songs, not B-sides or anything; those songs just didn't go with the theme of Banks of Eden, according to Roine Stolt.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #520 on: June 04, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
I've been putting off ordering this, but will the 2 CD version will available at places like amazon, lasercd, etc.?

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #521 on: June 04, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »

same here. last summer/autumn i bought up everything 'cept for stardust and paradox. though i also still need adam & eve version w bonus disc.

anyone know whats the deal with the complete lack of flower kings merch?! i want a shirt, damnit.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #522 on: June 04, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
I've been putting off ordering this, but will the 2 CD version will available at places like amazon, lasercd, etc.?

Best Buy offers the single CD version for $10, Amazon will have it for about $12, but everywhere I look, the special edition 2CD version is anywhere from $35 to $50!!!

However, today I found this site offers it for just $21.92
https://www.grooves-inc.com/flower-kings-the-banks-eden-special-edition-insideout-music-cd-album-pZZa1-1897465510.html?language=en&utm_source=froogle_us&utm_campaign=froogle_us

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #523 on: June 04, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
I may have to get it from there, then.  $29 from TFK's website (plus shipping) seems pretty high.  I get that artists want fans to support them by buying from them directly, but why makes the prices so obscenely high?  Neal Morse does the same thing when ordering from Radiant.  And quite frankly, I don't care about getting a 20-minute interview with the band; I just want the music.  And if the regular CD is $10 at amazon, even ordering from that site means I am spending an extra $11 plus shipping on four songs that total about 22 minutes.  Doesn't seem quite worth it, really.  I may just opt for the single version (which comes in a jewel case, which I like, as opposed to a digipak, which I do not).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #524 on: June 04, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
$29 price has everything to do with the exchange rate and nothing to do with the band doing anything greedy.