Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230878 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #420 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:48 PM »
^
i also bought the UTF with the bonus track....too late for potatoes is probably  my favorite of the 4 improvs  :metal

"Too Late For Tomatoes", actually. I wonder if the "Tomatoes" part was a slight reference to Yes' "Tormato"? :lol

UTF is a pretty good album, and some might say the bonus track just makes an already long album even longer than it needs to be, but I'd say it's probably one of my favorite TFK albums anyway.

IIRC, the only albums with bonus tracks are:
Flower Power (Japanese Edition with bonus tracks at the end of each disc)
Space Revolver (Japanese Edition with bonus disc)
The Rainmaker (Special Edition 2-disc set in digibook)
Unfold The Future (Special Edition with a bonus track - released as both jewel case and digibook)
Adam & Eve (Japanese Bonus Disc)
The Sum Of No Evil (Special Edition 2-disc set in digipak)

Now, there are also non-jewel-case/digibook versions of Space Revolver (no bonus tracks), Paradox Hotel, the Collectors Artwork-Edition of Roine Stolt's The Flower King. I think that's everything. And sadly, I only know all of that because I own pretty much everything listed above (yes, even two versions of SR, TR, UTF, A&E and PH), the only exception being the Japanese version of Flower Power.

Oh, well there's also the 4-Disc digibook versions of Meet The Flower Kings and Instant Delivery, both of which are very nice pieces in addition to being great concerts.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:12:19 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #421 on: March 18, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »
^
i also bought the UTF with the bonus track....too late for potatoes is probably  my favorite of the 4 improvs  :metal

Mine too  :hat

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #422 on: March 18, 2012, 10:59:46 PM »
In the future if you guys know the release date of something it's much appreciated if you post it in the calendar thread as well. :)
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #423 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
I'd say Unfold the Future is more than just a "pretty good album," Marc. ;)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #424 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »
I'd say Unfold the Future is more than just a "pretty good album," Marc. ;)

Ahh, come on, you know I love that album. It's in my top 3 TFK albums, although depending on how Banks Of Eden turns out, it could get pushed out because as of right now, I still prefer Stardust We Are and Paradox Hotel over Unfold The Future. I'd say, UTF is damn-near masterpiece level, but it's not for the TFK-beginner, that's for sure. It's one of those albums that, when you get into a band, you come to after a couple albums, and with repeated listens, become rewarded with an amazing listening experience. That's how UTF was with me (as was Yes' TFTO), and is usually the case for many band's double-albums/longest album. Studio albums that are over 100 minutes long usually take MANY listens for me to get into, and UTF was no exception, but the pay off was VERY rewarding. It's quite easy for me to breeze through it's 150 minutes! :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #425 on: March 18, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
I think Unfold the Future's disc 1 is way better than disc 2. My favorite track is Black and White. Is it just me, or is UTF's production really compressed-sounding? Some other TFK albums also have this problem. The earlier albums had more spacious and dynamic soundscapes.

If I had to rank TFK's double albums:

1. Flower Power
2. Stardust We Are
3. Unfold the Future
4. Paradox Hotel
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #426 on: March 18, 2012, 11:26:31 PM »
I know, Marc.  I just couldn't resist. :biggrin:

Back before I got a car stereo that would play mp3 CDs, my one CD condensed version of UTF back in the day was:

1. Genie in a Bottle
2. Fast Lane
3. Grand Old World
4. Silent Inferno
5. Man Overboard
6. Solitary Shell
7. Devil's Playground
8. Too Late for Tomatos (they spell it without the 'e' :P)

Fit perfectly on to a single CD. :coolio

Pols Voice, I adore the intro to Black and White, but I think once the songs get going, the bass guitar is a bit too busy.  It is a very rare occasion where I would accuse TFK of overplaying.  The keyboard lead is already speedy enough, but then that bass going a bit too crazy in the background is distracting. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #427 on: March 18, 2012, 11:29:33 PM »
Unfold the Future was my 4th Flower Kings album, and second double album. It became my favorite immediately. As far as if it's the best one, well, I go back and forth on it. I raided their discography in the last year and a half, so I'm still exploring their other albums so I can't form a full opinion (TFK music takes a lot of time to appreciate, even though I enjoy it immensely every time, there's always something new to enjoy). My first listen to UtF was magical, none of their albums hit me on first listen aside from a few moments here and there, but UtF was great for the whole 2 1/2 hours. I can't explain it.

UtF is the only album I make sure I don't listen to very often, as I fear it becoming stale, since I almost over-listened to it soon after I got it. All the other TFK albums get a fairly good amount of rotation, even though Space Revolver is my most played album; but it was my first.

I think it's because I like every song on UtF and feel they're all strong and highly diverse, and the fact that the album leans heavily towards jazz (one of my favorite genres) is a big part of it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #428 on: March 18, 2012, 11:35:36 PM »
UTF as a whole is probably one of the TFK CDs I go back to the least in recent years, simply because it is so damn long and it is like a chore to get through the whole thing.  A handful of the shorter songs get fairly regular rotation when I go through a TFK phase, but the two very long ones are like Yes' Gates of Delirium or Genesis' Supper's Ready in that they get saved for very rare occasions (although Devil's Playground will usually get the nod), and the jazzy instrumentals are nice, but I have to be in the mood for that stuff. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #429 on: March 18, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »
I usually listen to disc 1 first, then disc 2 later, because it is a 2 1/2 hour album, and I don't have that much consecutive time, except at night sometimes. I'll probably sit through the whole thing soon as Ive been doing an album a day recently (I'm up to Flower Power, Space Revolver tomorrow). I'll give it to Roine, the album flows like a movie; a very long movie.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #430 on: March 21, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »
Picked this tidbit up from over at the TFK Forums:

From Hasse's blog:

Anyway, both Tomas and me has completed our contributions to the "standard edition" of the CD (TFK). As soon as we're done mixing the HFMC album, we'll start to record the extra songs for the "limited edition" (TFK), which by the way is supposed to be something EXTRA (but you won't hear anything from me).

So it looks like we'll get a (possibly) 2-disc set as a "Limited Edition" of Banks Of Eden! I liked the last set so if it's released in anyway like TSONE was done, count me in! That packaging was just AMAZING! Lovely, yet quirky artwork! Ed Unitsky has such a vivid imagination!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #431 on: March 23, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
So Ive been doing this TFK discography marathon, and I'm up to Unfold the Future, and aside from pausing it after Monkey Business to get a coffee, Ive been listening to the whole thing, and I'm almost up to Solitary Shell. WHAT A GREAT ALBUM! I don't care how long it is, it's really good. I still think this is one of their best. I may throw on Tomas Bodin's "I AM" album in between this and Adam & Eve for the UtF references.

Picked this tidbit up from over at the TFK Forums:

From Hasse's blog:

Anyway, both Tomas and me has completed our contributions to the "standard edition" of the CD (TFK). As soon as we're done mixing the HFMC album, we'll start to record the extra songs for the "limited edition" (TFK), which by the way is supposed to be something EXTRA (but you won't hear anything from me).

So it looks like we'll get a (possibly) 2-disc set as a "Limited Edition" of Banks Of Eden! I liked the last set so if it's released in anyway like TSONE was done, count me in! That packaging was just AMAZING! Lovely, yet quirky artwork! Ed Unitsky has such a vivid imagination!

-Marc.

I called it!

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #432 on: March 23, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »
Kind of interesting that they had the title Adam and Eve and now Banks of Eden.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #433 on: March 23, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
Kind of interesting that they had the title Adam and Eve and now Banks of Eden.

And the hour long epic "Garden of Dreams". Hmm.....

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #434 on: March 23, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »
I don't think they've made it any secret that their music carries some Christian overtones....."The Truth Will Set You Free" is also from the bible, isn't it?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #435 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
It's like clockwork for me... as soon as the weather gets warm, I grab me a handful of TFK cds.   :)

If there's one minor weakness for me with this band, it's in the fact that Stolt's and Froberg's voices are SO close in timbre and range that they lose some opportunity for interesting vocal interplay and harmonies.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online The Letter M

« Reply #436 on: April 16, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »
Is anyone else as pumped for Banks Of Eden as I am?! The new cover looks great (same guy did the first two Agents Of Mercy album covers)...next to new Rush, this album is probably my 2nd most anticipated album of the year!

Oddly enough, the album is a "scant" 55 minutes, and the first 25 of it is the opening epic! Of course, there will be bonus tracks and the sort, but it's weird - they haven't made an album this short since their first couple albums. Let's hope it's more concise and less filler!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #437 on: April 16, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
There isn't any filler on any TFK record.  I think some need to remember that just because you don't like a song doesn't make it filler. ;)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #438 on: April 16, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
There isn't any filler on any TFK record.  I think some need to remember that just because you don't like a song doesn't make it filler. ;)

True enough, but just because it's recorded and somebody else likes it doesn't mean it isn't filler. Case in point - they've released many albums with "bonus tracks", which apparently they thought were good enough to record and release, but not good enough to put on the main albums. So if the band themselves can think that of their own music, then I don't see a problem with the fans thinking that either.

I love their albums as WHOLES, but when it comes to individual songs, some things are just less-likable than others. It's like the band releases the album, but then the special/limited editions are the "Director's Cut" versions of albums, with the cut-songs made available for everyone to listen to. I just think some bands don't cut things because they like it all, but I think as fans, we don't have to like it like they do.

Either way, before I ramble on TOO much longer, I'll just say, with TFK, any music is GOOD music, and most music is GREAT music.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #439 on: April 16, 2012, 01:28:09 PM »

If there's one minor weakness for me with this band, it's in the fact that Stolt's and Froberg's voices are SO close in timbre and range that they lose some opportunity for interesting vocal interplay and harmonies.

I cannot disagree more with this.  There is no way that Stolt has the range than Froberg does, but conversely, Stolt's voice has tons more character than Froberg's does.  Froberg's vocals can be a bit hit or miss for me at times, simply because they are a bit too "pretty" at times if that makes sense; a good example would be the chorus of Starlight Man.  As much as I love this band, and this not meant to be any disrespect towards Froberg, I sometimes wonder how much better they could have been with a second lead singer whose voice had a bit more grit.  Having said that, Froberg does sing some sections that are goosebump-worthy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #440 on: April 16, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
Here are Roine's thoughts on the idea of filler and whatnot (which he posted 9 days ago at the FK yahoo mailing list), and he starts off with some major sarcasm :lol:

Filler = "Songs I don't like"

The funny thing is that some prog fans out there seriously consider
the possibility
that a band like TFK put second rate material to "fill" an album
because "they were short on material".

In reality there is a bulk of material floating around that for one
reason or another will not end up on a certain album
just to show up on a later TFK album (or even a Transatlantic album)
- and who knows becoming a fan fave.

The complexity and politics of chosing songs to an album is not easy
and all I can say is that we work
with the best intention to fill a couple of criterias.

Those being: songs with good catchy riffs and melodies, interesting,
clever or just plain positive uplifting lyrics,
Interesting arrangements with cool time signatures and stand out solo
sections and production to the highest of standards.
We also try to strike a good balance between staying within our
signature original TFK sound and trying new things and new
untried (for us) territory. This means we sometimes venture into
both pop and sometimes into more experimental or even ambient land.

And for those who wonder, there is no priority tag on songs written by
Stolt - all member have and have had the chance to
contribute equally every time, since the last 15 years at least.
What you see on TFK albums is the result of free will and
personal considerations regarding members individual careers.

That's about it - Now if we're lucky the songs transpire well into
the live setting - and we have 3 DVD's that show that this is the case
now and again.

So does this mean I love and justify every single TFK song or
album ? - no I don't, but as said it is the result of band politics
and
to be honest even I happen to be the one making the wrong decision
now and then or I just fall prey to the democratic process,
that do exist regardless of what others may say, and we end up with
an album that we all are about 75% happy with.
Still there seems to be a couple of tunes that live on and finds it's
way into our live sets.

The important thing for me is that TFK as a band has produced a huge
catalogue over the last 15 years and there is material of
very high order - plus the odd "miss" tune or album - well I don't
dwell on those, since the good stuff prevail and that's what I'm looking
forward to play live in the coming year(s).

Hail to the new album and a few more - of 50/50 % greatness/
filler ( as usual.)

Roine
btw Happy Easter one and all!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #441 on: April 16, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
I love Roine's sense of humor! It's pretty snarky but serious. He knows what's going on.

As for "filler", it's nice that he and the band are very forward-thinking. I'm glad they never had a huge "hit" or a really "classic" album (like DT has with IAW), where fans would always complain "OH, TFK have never been as good as _______ album since..."

I like that, with every new release, there's always great music to find, and while most of each album stands the test of time, they're all held up to the same high marker that Roine and company assign to each record.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #442 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:32 PM »
Yeah, if English is Roine's second language, then sarcasm is his third. :lol :lol

The thing is, I get why some might not care for certain songs on their own, like a lot of the shorter pieces on Stardust We Are, but when listening to the album as a whole, they provide nice little transitions and segue ways, rather than just the album being a collection of songs placed in no discernible order.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #443 on: April 16, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »

Interesting...I don't think their voices are similar at all. Both are great at what they do and fill different roles vocally. I always like it when Hasse gets a lot of lead vocals on an album, too.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #444 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »
two weeks ago i read all the Unfold The Future discussion but forgot to comment:
along with a plethora of other TFK material, i bought UTF (with bonus track) last summer. and although it can be a bit  much at times and a little exhausting, i would usually listen to both discs in one sitting. i got to know the album pretty much inside out and love(d) it. (GREAT album, indeed, darkshade).
....except for one problem. b/c it was SO much, i kept skipping Devil's Playground, convincing myself that i would get to know it later. well, after obsessing over the album for a couple months, i slowed on the repetitive spins and moved on to a dizzying amount of other music new to my ears, and i further put Devil's Playground on the back burner...and eventually  more or less forgot to get back 'round to it.
well, after reading a bunch of UTF posts in this thread (as mentioned), i forced DP spins last week. 5 times in 4 days i believe. conclusion: i've been missing out on a(nother)  cool TFK epic. though its tough to form an opinion on epics of such a magnitude after only 5 spins, i will say that i dont think i'll like it as much as the opening epic. but we'll see what a few more spins brings me.

the past 10+ days i've moved on to further exploring Retropolis, and have let Devil's Playground slip a little off my radar again. but i think maybe i'll throw it on when my current album finishes (and, yes, i'm currently spinning Retrop)

(speaking of Retrop, i keep only spinning the same 5 or 6 tunes from the album...i dont wanna get into the 'filler' debate {hehe, roine}, but the other tracks just didnt do it for me after the first couple listens, so i've stuck with those i know i love and have been spinning em to death...i'll have to get back on top of giving the remainder a chance sometime soon)

last thing - Question: if the only two TFK albums i love all the way thru are UTF and A&E, does that make me a Gildenlow fanboy?

warning: this post may be incoherent, but i'm too lazy right now to proofread.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #445 on: April 16, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »

last thing - Question: if the only two TFK albums i love all the way thru are UTF and A&E, does that make me a Gildenlow fanboy?

Only if you think the song Adam & Eve (one of their few "WTF were they trying to do" songs) is really good. :biggrin: :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #446 on: April 17, 2012, 06:17:48 AM »

Only if you think the song Adam & Eve (one of their few "WTF were they trying to do" songs) is really good. :biggrin: :lol

Oddly enough, I enjoy A&E's title track, with or without Gildenlow. And I'm not much of a Gildenlow fanboy, and the only POS albums I own are BE, and both Road Salt albums, and they haven't been spun much. I got BE a long time ago but just never bothered to dive more into POS, then I decided to get both Road Salt albums and found them to be pretty interesting. I guess I just need to listen more. I do enjoy DG's performances on all the Transatlantic stuff he's on, and he's a great musician/vocalist, but I guess it'll be awhile longer til I can really appreciate his work.

-Marc.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #447 on: April 17, 2012, 07:05:04 AM »
Roines comment is correct. You can have a really old song that they decide to dust off the shelf and finally finish it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #448 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »

ya, ive seen some of the ill will towards the title track...ive always loved the song. even the weird middle section. the only thing i dont like about said weird section is it makes it tougher to throw on a party type playlist without making your poker guests wonder wtf's going on (other than the weirdness, what a deadly rocker that song makes).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #449 on: April 17, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
Party type playlist?  Hmmm, I can't imagine any TFK song that would make any kind of party playlist I would make, but that's me. :lol :biggrin:

Offline darkshade

« Reply #450 on: April 17, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
New album cover looks amazing.

I don't understand the ill feelings towards Adam & Eve, it's a rockin' tune. Zoltan's drums on the album are so great! Not in my top 5, but maybe 6 or 7.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #451 on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
Party type playlist?  Hmmm, I can't imagine any TFK song that would make any kind of party playlist I would make, but that's me. :lol :biggrin:

really?! i havent even explored their entire catalogue, but i've come across plenty of shorter fun/rockin songs that go over well (or that i perceive to go over well) when company is over.

maybe 'party type playlist' is misleading...i just mean playlists for when we wanna have some drinks, rock out, and maybe play some poker.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #452 on: April 17, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »
He's right, to some extent that "Filler" is really "song I don't like" - sometimes.  Other times, it's just nonsense.  Like "A Day at The Mall" on disc 2 of _Stardust We Are_

If that's a "song" then I'm an ant eater

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #453 on: April 17, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
Adam & Eve is one my least favorite Flower Kings songs. I like the album in general, though. The first three tracks are gold.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:04:28 PM by Pols Voice »
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #454 on: April 17, 2012, 11:04:35 PM »
I think the strength as at the end of the CD, most notably the last three songs: Timelines, Driver's Seat and The Blade of Cain.  But Love Supreme is great as well, and I do like both Babylon and A Vampire's View quite a bit each.