Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230865 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
I've spun TBF a couple times, but I'll agree, it's definitely got that special Roine Stolt touch and sound.

As for new TFK, both Roine and Jonas keep hinting at new TFK material this year, and it seems that Hasse is finishing up his 2nd album with the Musical Companion, so he will likely be free after Spring to reconvene with Roine and Jonas to do some new TFK songs. As for Tomas, I've not read/heard much news about/from him, or whether or not he's been working on new material for Eggs & Dogs/solo stuff (where is HE SHE IT IS?!), but I'm sure he will be free to join up with the others.

As for a drummer, I keep saying they should get Marcus back, as he's drummed for both Roine and Jonas recently, so it'd be nice to get him behind the TFK kit once again, especially because I loved his work on Paradox Hotel, as well as Roine's Wall Street Voodoo and Tomas's I AM, and his work on the recent Karmakanic album is pretty good too!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #386 on: January 19, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
I say, bring more TFK on, no matter who the drummer is.  I hate seeing Roine "waste" him time with his main project being one with such a blah singer. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
From Roine's FB page:

THE FLOWER KINGS - Press statement Feb 2012:

Legendary progressive, iconic, symphonic rockband "The Flower Kings", formed in 1995 by guitarist, singer, composer Roine Stolt ( Transatlantic ), announce their immediate return to service in 2012, after an almost 5 years well earned hiatus.
The band consisting of Roine Stolt, bassplayer extraordinaire Jonas Reingold, keyboarder grand deluxe Tomas Bodin,
singer & guitarist Hasse Froberg and new 26 year old Berliner dextrous drummer prodigy Felix Lehrmann, started the recording
of a new album at Varispeed studios in Sweden on January 23rd.
The music is recorded in classic 70's style, with all musicians performing live in a room thru 70's vintage tube recording equipment
and famous NEVE consoles.
If all Gods and muses are onboard the new TFK is scheduled for an album release on June 6th on the Inside Out Music label (Century Media/EMI).
The yet unnamed album has a 23 min epic centerpiece and the material is all classic Flowerkings style with all
the dreamy melodic & cinematic elements that the bands fans has come to love over the years, but also contain some heavier psychedelic
music and some darker hi energy material.

The band is likely to embark on a headline european tour in september this year but will have it's official first re-union gig at the "Sweden Rock Festival" in June 7th - 2012.

---------

:coolio :coolio :coolio

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #388 on: February 02, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
 :D  Yay!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #389 on: February 02, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
Finally, an annoucement! I guess they wanted to wait until they actually started RECORDING the album before they said they would, ya know, just in case things didn't work out... :lol

So glad Jonas, Tomas, and Hasse have been able to rejoin Roine, and now introduce newcomer Felix Lehrmann. Gonna have to check him out ASAP!

Add this to my Top 12 Anticipated Releases of 2012!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ronrule

« Reply #390 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
Yes!

I wish it could be Zoltan. He's the only TFK drummer that really added additional musical goodness, IMO. BUT I'm really liking Felix's youtubes...looks some some great fusion influences might be coming back!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #391 on: February 02, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
Well, using the every other album trajectory they have been on since 2000, this album should be awesome!

Space Revolver = awesome
The Rainmaker = good
Unfold the Future = awesome
Adam and Eve - very good at best
Paradox Hotel = awesome
The Sum of No Evil - merely good
2012 album = awesome?

:biggrin:

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #392 on: February 02, 2012, 12:56:25 PM »
just checking him out on youtube right now... :corn
...i think it just put me in a fusion mood for the day.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #393 on: February 02, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
Well, using the every other album trajectory they have been on since 2000, this album should be awesome!

Space Revolver = awesome
The Rainmaker = good
Unfold the Future = awesome
Adam and Eve - very good at best
Paradox Hotel = awesome
The Sum of No Evil - merely good
2012 album = awesome?

:biggrin:

While I might not agree with your exact ratings, I will say that your general trend is dead on.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #394 on: February 02, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
Hellll yeah ;D

New TFK album, what a great year.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
This made my day.

No.

This made my week!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #396 on: February 02, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
YES. Great news!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #397 on: February 02, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
Here's a video of the new drummer. Makes me not miss Zoltan so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43MsDvHKQpE

Offline darkshade

« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
So guys, anyone have any guesses as to the new album's title?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »
So guys, anyone have any guesses as to the new album's title?

Dawn Of The Setting Sun

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #400 on: February 04, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »
Someone on Prog Archives came up with a good one

Return of the Kings

Could be a concept album based on LOTR (so prog), and also have double meaning.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #401 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »
Maybe they'll make their big return with an eponymous title?

"The Flower Kings"

Offline darkshade

« Reply #402 on: February 06, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »
I think they're one band that can't do that.

There's already a "The Flower King" album.

Besides, who makes an eponymous album more than 4-5 albums in.... wait......

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #403 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
I'd rather they not do that.  For the most part, I hate when bands call anything but their debut album a self-titled one.  The exception is The Beatles, but that is called The White Album by almost everyone anyway, so it's all good. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »
They should call it "Re-pollination"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #405 on: March 13, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
So....according to a FB post, the new album will be called Banks of Eden, and will be released on June 18th.  Woohoo! :tup :tup

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150861129464552&set=at.197841559551.168571.135600119551.100000224097006&type=1&theater

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: March 13, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Awesome!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #407 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:20 AM »
So....according to a FB post, the new album will be called Banks of Eden, and will be released on June 18th.  Woohoo! :tup :tup

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150861129464552&set=at.197841559551.168571.135600119551.100000224097006&type=1&theater

Saw this the other day. Meant to bump this thread but I guess I forgot to.

I cannot wait for the tracklist because I want to know if it'll be another double album! Part of me really wants it to be, and thinks it will be with how much material Roine seems to write and keep aside for long periods of time (not to mention whatever else Tomas, Jonas and Hasse bring to the table). Then again, another part of me thinks a solid single-disc album would be great as well, with a few extra/bonus tracks on a 2nd disc (like TSONE, which was pretty damn solid to me). I could go with either and still be really happy!

Five years was a LONG time to wait for a new album.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #408 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
^ Something tells me we'll get a single disc album, with a bonus disc of more material, but not necessarily "part" of the album. Transatlantic did it when they got back together, and Neal Morse did the same thing after that, so we'll see.

I, too, would explode if they released a new double album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #409 on: March 13, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
^ Something tells me we'll get a single disc album, with a bonus disc of more material, but not necessarily "part" of the album. Transatlantic did it when they got back together, and Neal Morse did the same thing after that, so we'll see.

I, too, would explode if they released a new double album.

Well Jonas, Hasse and Roine have all been busy in the years since TSONE, while Tomas hasn't released anything since 2008, so I would hope that he will contribute a lot of material, at least enough to expand the album into a 2-hour opus!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #410 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
I am hoping for a double, especially since I am pretty sure they said that there is a song around 25 minutes on there.  A double will let them stretch out more, which I always like, instead of having nothing but prog, prog, prog, like on The Sum of No Evil.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #411 on: March 13, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
I am hoping for a double, especially since I am pretty sure they said that there is a song around 25 minutes on there.  A double will let them stretch out more, which I always like, instead of having nothing but prog, prog, prog, like on The Sum of No Evil.

True. Paradox Hotel is like that, and it's in my Top 3 TFK albums of all time. It's got prog, hard rock, acoustic stuff, some really heavy stuff, some jazzy stuff, and some weird-Zappa-esque stuff. It's got everything, and is a lot more varied than, say, Unfold The Future was, which was, IMO, a tiny BIT bloated with some of the jazz improv stuff, which I have to be in a certain mood for.

As for having an epic, it doesn't always necessarily mean we'll get a double album - sure it applies to Stardust We Are, Paradox Hotel, Flower Power and Unfold The Future, but The Sum Of No Evil and Space Revolver both had 25 minute epics (albeit the latter had it's epic split/bookended), and Adam & Eve had a couple of side-length tunes as well, and all three of those albums were single-disc ventures.

So really, it could go either way. We could get an epic with then 50 minutes of shorter tunes. Or we could get the epic, and 100 more minutes of music of varying lengths.

-Marc.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #412 on: March 13, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »
They could make "The Sum of No Evil" over and over again as far as I'm concerned.  It's my favorite TFK album.    But I'll take whatever they've got.  :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #413 on: March 13, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

As for having an epic, it doesn't always necessarily mean we'll get a double album

I know.  That is why I said I am "hoping" for a double since there is already a very long song. ;)  That way, we get a lot of everything.  Plus, if they do a 25-minute song and it isn't a particularly great song, on a double, there is still likely over 100 minutes of music to dig into, instead of just maybe 50 or so.  As someone who finds The Truth Will Set You Free a bit tedious to listen to, I am very thankful that UTF is a double, since it gave me 16 more songs and well over 100 more minutes of music to tackle. :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #414 on: March 13, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »

As for having an epic, it doesn't always necessarily mean we'll get a double album

Plus, if they do a 25-minute song and it isn't a particularly great song,

That's a pretty BIG "if" there. They haven't written an epic I can't get behind and love!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #415 on: March 13, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »
They don't have any epics I dislike (except for One More Time, which is so plodding and boring), but a handful don't get listened to by me that much simply because they are not great enough for me to regularly dedicate the time needed to listen to them:

The Truth Will Set You Free
Love is the Only Answer
Road to Sanctuary

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #416 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »

....and Adam & Eve had a couple of side-length tunes as well, and all three of those albums were single-disc ventures...
-Marc.

but the bonus disc version of A&E SLAYS ALL.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #417 on: March 15, 2012, 09:14:55 AM »

....and Adam & Eve had a couple of side-length tunes as well, and all three of those albums were single-disc ventures...
-Marc.

but the bonus disc version of A&E SLAYS ALL.

Sure it does, but those Space Revolver-era bonus tracks (the last three) are only so good. It sucks that I had to get the A&E 2-disc version for those three tracks because the first 6 tracks were already on the The Rainmaker 2-disc version (which I already had). Now the bonus tracks on the 2-disc version of Space Revolver are really good, and it was worth shelling out money for THAT set.

Still need the Japanese edition of Flower Power for those 4 bonus tracks (even though they're just Tomas Bodin little pieces).

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #418 on: March 16, 2012, 06:25:42 PM »
The only TFK album I have that has any bonus material is my copy of Unfold the Future with the bonus track Too Late For Tomatos, but there's a slight segue into it from the epic Devil's Playground, plus it's one of 4 improv tracks on the album, so it feels like it's part of the album; almost an epilogue since it follows the grand finale of Devil's Playground.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #419 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
^
i also bought the UTF with the bonus track....too late for potatoes is probably  my favorite of the 4 improvs  :metal