Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 230832 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: The Flower Kings Thread - because they are awesome and deserve one
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
Long: End on a High Note
Short: Rhythm of the Sea
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »
Long: End on a High Note
Short: Rhythm of the Sea

Odd choices, but cool songs!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
Well, I've been on a Paradox Hotel kick lately...

Long: Monsters & Men
Short: What If God Is Alone?

Also, Adam & Eve has been getting a lot of attention to...

Long: Love Supreme
Short: Adam & Eve

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:47 AM »
There's a good idea...favorite long song and favorite short song from each studio record. :)

BITWOA:
Long: "World of Adventures"
Short: "Train to Nowhere"

Retropolis:
Long: "Retropolis"
Short: "Silent Sorrow"

SWA:
Long: "Circus Brimstone"
Short: "Different People"

FP:
Long: "Garden of Dreams"
Short: "Psycedelic Postcard"

SR:
Long: "I Am the Sun"
Short: "Chicken Farmer Song"

TR:
Long: "City of Angels"
Short: "Serious Dreamers"

UTF:
Long: "Silent Inferno"
Short: "Solitary Shell"

A&E:
Long: "Love Supreme"
Short: "Timelines"

PH:
Long: "End on a High Note"
Short: "What If God Is Alone"

TSONE:
Long: "The Sum of No Reason"
Short: "Flight 999 Brimstone Air"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
Okay, I listened to TFK all weekend long (Retropolis and Stardust We Are) and I definitely got into them much more than I had.  KevShmev, I know this is an appreciation thread, but I hope you don't mind a bit of personal observation/critique on this band. 

I had mentioned in my previous post how they are more 'jammy/improvisational' than most prog bands and my listens confirmed this... very fusion-like.  I think that's the quality that turned me off initially, since their songs tend to "meander" a lot more than the Spock's Beard brand of "catchy" prog.  It certainly makes TFK's music a bit harder to follow.     

Some of The Flower Kings' riffs are pretty obtuse and jarring, but then they always manage to open up into some absolutely beautiful passages.  This band is highly focused on the instrumental side of things, almost to the point where the vocals seem like an afterthought at times.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  And the passages where they go with a lone acoustic guitar or piano are brilliant.

Retropolis clearly has touches of "classic" prog bands like Yes and Genesis (hence the album title), but it's not overdone because the band creates its own distinct identity and sound.  Stardust We Are shifts gears slightly, and as I listened to the album, I found myself being reminded of Camel.  Stolt practically comes across as a modern-day Andy Latimer.  I really enjoy their forays into World Music, including their use of Sitar and some cool reggae riffing.  Some touches of psychedelia (I could've sworn I was hearing Jerry Garcia's guitar), and there was even a very Jethro Tull-like riff somewhere.

I'm looking forward to exploring some more. 

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »
That is great to hear, LV!  :tup :tup

And I totally agree with your comment about the classic prog influence.  They are clearly influenced by bands like Yes and Genesis, but they definitely have their own sound and style, so they don't come off as sounding derivative or like a tribute band or anything.

Keep the comments, good or bad, coming! :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
The beauty of every Flower Kings album is that, while Roine/Tomas and company create and hold a distinct sound that is definitely "The Flower Kings sound", every album also how it's own feel and style that is unique on its own, be is the musicians involved or the over-all stylistic influence, particuarly their last 4 albums- Unfold The Future, Adam & Eve, Paradox Hotel and The Sum of No Evil.

LudwigVan - If you're looking for something less jammy-improvisational, I'd jump ahead to Paradox Hotel. With 19 songs and only three over 10 minutes long, many of the songs are more focused and and concise! Not to say it's their "pop" album (although there are some pop/modern rock influences), but the songs are fantastically composed and the performances are top notch! It's become one of my top 3 TFK albums!

Conversely, I would avoid Unfold The Future, which is littered with jazzy/fusion improvisations if that is something you want to steer clear of. Personally, I love UTF, but I have to be in that mood for it. Fortunately, the epics on the album are some of their best pieces (as usual!), particularly the 31-minute opening "The Truth Will Set You Free".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20:23 PM »
I think one of the main reasons why I love Paradox Hotel so much is that there is a crap load of acoustic guitar and piano.  I think I remember reading that much of the album was written on piano and acoustic, so that is why that record has a "simpler" feel to it, as opposed to something like The Sum of No Reason, which is much more complex and overtly proggy.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
I've been busy rounding out my collection of TFK albums.   The Truth Will Set You Free (from Unfold the Future) is blowing me away right now  :hat

Is "The Flower King" worth getting?   I don't see much mention of this album. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Mladen

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »
The only TFK album I listened to is The Sum of no evil. I chose it randomly, and I've gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. Love is the only answer is fabulous, and The Sum of no reason is great as well. Nice album all around, and I'll have to listen to this band more whenever I got time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »
Is "The Flower King" worth getting?   I don't see much mention of this album. 

Yes.  It is very good.  But it is more guitar-driven than most of the Flower Kings records, it being a Stolt solo album and all.  I know many think of it as the first unofficial TFK album, but I do not.  Tomas Bodin's absence is too glaring for me to consider it a real Flower Kings album like so many do.  It is still very good, though. :)

The only TFK album I listened to is The Sum of no evil. I chose it randomly, and I've gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. Love is the only answer is fabulous, and The Sum of no reason is great as well. Nice album all around, and I'll have to listen to this band more whenever I got time.

That is great to hear.  Nowhere to go now but up!  :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2010, 08:09:49 AM »
So after 3 years, TFK fans just MAY get an album this year, although Roine is pretty busy... between the Transatlantic Whirld Tour and recording the second Agents Of Mercy album, he might not get to a TFK album until late this year, which would mean a 2011 release. We could get lucky, however, and get one before year's end.

I recently read an interview with Tomas saying that TFK is only a go whenever Roine says he's ready. I think he'll be ready after AOM records their 2nd album because he'll have been away from TFK for so long - all he's done since TSONE has been side-albums and projects (AOM, 3rd World Electric, TA), so I'd like to think he's got some demos that haven't been used at all over the last three years that would make for a good TFK album, with Tomas' and Jonas' input/performance of course!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »
I think the odds are better that Roine has been using that material in the various projects he has been doing.  For example, "Spinning" totally sounds like a TFK song, but Transatlantic recorded it for the bonus CD.  But you never know if he has other stuff laying around that could be usable, so we'll see.  We can always hope.  Honestly, though, I think I have mentally accepted that the band as we knew them might be finished.  It is just a feeling I have, but I hope I am wrong. :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
I think the odds are better that Roine has been using that material in the various projects he has been doing.  For example, "Spinning" totally sounds like a TFK song, but Transatlantic recorded it for the bonus CD.  But you never know if he has other stuff laying around that could be usable, so we'll see.  We can always hope.  Honestly, though, I think I have mentally accepted that the band as we knew them might be finished.  It is just a feeling I have, but I hope I am wrong. :)

I really hoep they aren't finished. I think Roine just needed a break from them for awhile, and the short break turned into three years of side-projects. I'm sure he has plenty of demos laying around collecting dust. Heck, imagine how much material he came up with since TSONE? The man can write two albums' worth of material in a year!

Then again, Jonas has things with Karmakanic and Kaipa, and Tomas has his solo stuff/Eggs & Dogs, and Hasse Bruinisson (sp?) has his own side project now... so they're ALL keeping busy while TFK is on hiatus... I just feel it would be really unfortunate if they never got back together again. Then again, they did pump out 10 albums in 12 years, four of which were doubles, so they really probably could use this break lol

-Marc.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »
I've been meaning to check these guys out since I heard some of it on WPAPU. So Flower Power is the album I should be looking for?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2010, 07:24:34 PM »
I've been meaning to check these guys out since I heard some of it on WPAPU. So Flower Power is the album I should be looking for?

Flower Power is pretty good, but as a double album, it's a LOT to digest, especially the near hour-long epic "Garden of Dreams". If you want to get into a double album, I'd pick that one, or my favorite, Stardust We Are.

If you want some more concise, single-disc TFK, get Space Revolver, or even Retropolis. Their later albums (Unfold The Future to The Sum Of No Evil) are all a bit different from their earlier albums, and with varying personnel changes, it's almost a different band on each album, so you may want to check those out later.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »

That is a great one to start with.  Read back through the rest of this thread for my more in-depth recommendations. :)

Their later albums (Unfold The Future to The Sum Of No Evil) are all a bit different from their earlier albums, and with varying personnel changes, it's almost a different band on each album, so you may want to check those out later.

Eh, I don't agree with that.  The drummers change from album to album a lot, but other than that, the rest of the band is pretty much the same (except for Gildenlow popping up on two albums, and a few guest appearances here and there).  I mean, all six albums from the 2000s have the core four of Stolt (guitar and vocals), Froberg (vocals and some guitar), Bodin (keys) and Reingold (bass), so saying it is like a different band on each album is very misleading, IMO. :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »
I've amassed several of their albums thus far, and it is all good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
Hef, if by "good," you mean "great," then I agree with you.  :tup :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2010, 10:09:05 AM »
I do, and you do.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »
 Their later albums (Unfold The Future to The Sum Of No Evil) are all a bit different from their earlier albums, and with varying personnel changes, it's almost a different band on each album, so you may want to check those out later.

Eh, I don't agree with that.  The drummers change from album to album a lot, but other than that, the rest of the band is pretty much the same (except for Gildenlow popping up on two albums, and a few guest appearances here and there).  I mean, all six albums from the 2000s have the core four of Stolt (guitar and vocals), Froberg (vocals and some guitar), Bodin (keys) and Reingold (bass), so saying it is like a different band on each album is very misleading, IMO. :)

Well, yeah, those albums do contain those four core members, but stylistically, Unfold The Future is quite a bit different than Paradox Hotel. UTF is full of jazzy-fusiony moments while PH is more concise, song-based and runs with a concept. Adam & Eve is a bit in the middle, but contains some full sounding pieces, especially with the band as big as it was on the album! The Sum Of No Evil is a bit of everything from the previous albums, with hints of early-TFK.

I guess you get the TFK-sound in each album, but each album is different enough that you can't really say they're all the same... as for saying it's a different band each album, yeah I'll agree that was misleading on my part, but their sound changing between albums is a bit more noticable than other recent/current prog bands out there.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2010, 09:57:27 PM »
I do, and you do.  :biggrin:

Bitchin'.  :biggrin:

Well, yeah, those albums do contain those four core members, but stylistically, Unfold The Future is quite a bit different than Paradox Hotel. UTF is full of jazzy-fusiony moments while PH is more concise, song-based and runs with a concept. Adam & Eve is a bit in the middle, but contains some full sounding pieces, especially with the band as big as it was on the album! The Sum Of No Evil is a bit of everything from the previous albums, with hints of early-TFK.

I guess you get the TFK-sound in each album, but each album is different enough that you can't really say they're all the same... as for saying it's a different band each album, yeah I'll agree that was misleading on my part, but their sound changing between albums is a bit more noticable than other recent/current prog bands out there.

Okay, I see what you mean, but all of those albums are not that different.  They all pretty much have the core TFK sound, which is fairly unmistakable. 

Perhaps the best way to put it is, they are all somewhat varied and different in the context of the band's sound, which admittedly is somewhat narrow in scope.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2010, 10:05:23 PM »
Kev, how are TFK's lyrics. I've yet to hear a single song by them. Would there be anything to conflict with a Christian faith?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
Kev, how are TFK's lyrics. I've yet to hear a single song by them. Would there be anything to conflict with a Christian faith?

Not at all.  In fact, some of their lyrics have a slight spiritual feel to them, but are never in your face or over the top, even by the standards of those who would consider Neal Morse's lyrics to be too much.  That make sense?  :)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »
 :tup You speak clearly and well. I'll check them out via some way, and follow this thread for recommendations for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2010, 10:45:06 PM »
Sweet.  I would actually recommend starting with a lot of their shorter songs.  In fact, many of their best songs are the ones in the 6- to 10-minute range; think of them as mini-epics.  That is what makes Paradox Hotel so awesome; that album is filled with mostly songs in that time range (or maybe a tad shorter or longer), and most of them are tremendous.  On the flip side, an album like The Sum of No Evil tries so hard to be all-out proggy, that it often doesn't have room to breathe, as it is just one proggy song after another, with no let-up.  Just a suggestion. :)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »
Sweet.  I would actually recommend starting with a lot of their shorter songs.  In fact, many of their best songs are the ones in the 6- to 10-minute range; think of them as mini-epics.  That is what makes Paradox Hotel so awesome; that album is filled with mostly songs in that time range (or maybe a tad shorter or longer), and most of them are tremendous.  On the flip side, an album like The Sum of No Evil tries so hard to be all-out proggy, that it often doesn't have room to breathe, as it is just one proggy song after another, with no let-up.   Just a suggestion. :)

Your description of this album is getting me all excited.    :laugh:
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2010, 02:55:20 PM »
A few months back, I listened to Adam & Eve, not sure what to expect.  First couple of times I spun it, I was like... wut... the... fuk?  I couldn't wrap my head around it and tossed it aside, practically in disgust.   

I picked it up again and this time around, the music just grabbed me and didn't let go.  It's blown me away... I love it now.  I can't explain why this is happening though. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »
I just realized that when I bought the mp3 version of Paradox Hotel, I only bought disc 1  :facepalm: and the album is no longer available at the music store, in amazon is very expensive and I don´t feel like buying a physical copy since I already have disc 1... but I feel I´m missing a lot from disc 2... it´s your fault you Kev and your awesome posts  >:(

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »
A few months back, I listened to Adam & Eve, not sure what to expect.  First couple of times I spun it, I was like... wut... the... fuk?  I couldn't wrap my head around it and tossed it aside, practically in disgust.   

I picked it up again and this time around, the music just grabbed me and didn't let go.  It's blown me away... I love it now.  I can't explain why this is happening though. 

Heh.  I was not wild about A&E at first either, but, while I still put it near the bottom on my list of favorite TFK records, I like it a lot now.  The only misses are the title track (a major WTF) and the chorus to "Starlight Man" (which is a shame, as the verses and that main guitar line are very cool).  "Timelines," "Driver's Seat," "The Blade of Cain" and "Love Supreme" are all great. :)

I just realized that when I bought the mp3 version of Paradox Hotel, I only bought disc 1  :facepalm: and the album is no longer available at the music store, in amazon is very expensive and I don´t feel like buying a physical copy since I already have disc 1... but I feel I´m missing a lot from disc 2... it´s your fault you Kev and your awesome posts  >:(

That does blow, but I am sure there are other ways to find disc 2. ;)  Considering some of the best songs from PH are on disc 2, you need it! :)

And so sorry for my awesome posts. ;)  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2010, 06:15:20 AM »
Yeah Adam & Eve is one of their weaker albums, though it's still pretty good.

But disc 2 of PH should not be missed out on!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »
A friend and I once debated over which disc was better from PH; I don't think we ever came to a conclusion.  Both discs are so awesome, picking against either seemed like treason. :lol :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2010, 02:45:02 AM »
:lol Yeah, and pretty pointless really as it's simply a really solid 2-disc album. I actually listen to the mp3s more than the CDs (because changing CD is far too much effort) so rarely even distinguish what is on which disc.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »
I haven't gotten a chance to read through this thread for all of Kev's reccomended TFK material, but I am really trying to get into this band, but it's pretty dense stuff.

I'm a huge fan of Yes and Pink Floyd (moreso than Rush or say, Jethro Tull) and Transatlantic so what kind of albums or songs by TFK would I be into?

Out of what I've listened to, my favorite song so far has been "Church of Your Heart" but I must admit that song is the furthest I've gotten on Stardust We Are.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »
SWA was quite an animal to climb at first.  It was like Yes's Tales for me in that it is so massive and sprawling, you almost have to dedicate serious listening time to just that album and no other, to get into it.