Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 233895 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. Islands, Oct. 30
« Reply #1820 on: May 05, 2021, 02:12:10 PM »
Grand Old World is cool to me because it's built around a theme from Truth. I'm not the biggest UTF fan but I like how they made little excursion songs that use a melody from the big epic. The magic of those earlier FK albums are the little instrumental interludes and connector songs that don't add much on their own but make it feel like a really cohesive whole.

This. This is why the interludes on Stardust We Are are absolutely indispensible. They are vital for the flow of the album.

Those interludes were created for me to be able to use the delete button on my iPhone  ;)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: May 05, 2021, 02:12:43 PM »
I'm just busting balls - I get why people like them. I do.  I just have no use for stuff like that. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1822 on: May 29, 2021, 06:16:53 PM »
Roine just shared, in a private TFK Facebook group, that he has started "remixing some early TFK" as a comment on an early picture of Jaime Salazar.

It seems like he is remixing the earlier albums for eventual release on vinyl, so for those who have wanted them, hopefully he doesn't tinker TOO much (i.e. "Devil's Playground"), especially with classics like "Stardust We Are".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1823 on: May 30, 2021, 03:10:07 AM »
I've been highly considering giving The Flower Kings a shot recently. Is there any specific album(s) I should start with, or should I just start from the beginning of their discography and go through it in order?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1824 on: May 30, 2021, 04:13:33 AM »
I've been highly considering giving The Flower Kings a shot recently. Is there any specific album(s) I should start with, or should I just start from the beginning of their discography and go through it in order?

I usually recommend starting at the beginning and moving on chronologically, but since I'm not a fan of all Flower Kings albums, I'd recommend starting with one of these:
Unfold The Future (their masterpiece imo and the first FK album I ever heard, but very jazzy)
Sum Of No Evil (long tracks, less whacky, very melodic)
Stardust We Are (generally considered their best album along with UTF)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DTA

« Reply #1825 on: May 30, 2021, 05:06:45 AM »

I would just start with their first album Back In The World of Adventures. Their double albums can be daunting to start with so I wouldn’t recommend them, but this one has a pretty good mix of long/short tracks and doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1826 on: May 30, 2021, 05:45:37 AM »
I think any of the first 5 albums are a good place to start with this group.  The double albums can be a bit much, though.  "Back In The World of Adventures" is great.  But I think of the single-disc albums "Space Revolver" is probably my favorite, followed by "The Rainmaker" which is possibly their most eclectic and varied album. 

My very first album from The Flower Kings was "Alive on Planet Earth" 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1827 on: May 30, 2021, 06:57:05 AM »
Roine just shared, in a private TFK Facebook group, that he has started "remixing some early TFK" as a comment on an early picture of Jaime Salazar.

It seems like he is remixing the earlier albums for eventual release on vinyl, so for those who have wanted them, hopefully he doesn't tinker TOO much (i.e. "Devil's Playground"), especially with classics like "Stardust We Are".

-Marc.

Hoping for the best, but I fear he will tinker with some of the longer songs again. However, Flower Power is one of my favorite album covers, so I will likely get that on vinyl no matter what.

Going in order is a good idea.  Many of their best albums are the early material (the first five especially), and their only weaker ones (The Rainmaker, Desolation Rose) came later, so going chronologically won't get you off on a bad note and discourage you from moving forward.  :tup :tup

Offline HOF

« Reply #1828 on: May 30, 2021, 08:50:34 AM »
You won’t go wrong with anything up through The Rainmaker in my opinion though (Unfold the Future has some strong spots but it’s a bit long in my view). I’d start with Back in the World of Adventures or Retropolis, but at some point you also need to check out Roine Stolt’s The Flower King solo album which is really kind of the first TFK album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1829 on: May 30, 2021, 11:19:02 AM »
The Flower King is a really good album, but very much a Roine solo album as it is very guitar-driven.  Definitely worth getting, but I'd start with the actual band albums first.  :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #1830 on: May 30, 2021, 11:31:15 AM »
The Flower King is a really good album, but very much a Roine solo album as it is very guitar-driven.  Definitely worth getting, but I'd start with the actual band albums first.  :)

It is very instrumental but so are the first two TFK albums. It definitely sounds like a TFK album though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1831 on: May 30, 2021, 12:05:10 PM »

It is very instrumental but so are the first two TFK albums. It definitely sounds like a TFK album though.

It is the proto-TFK, and in some places, a TFK album in all but name, but yeah, it is also more guitar driven than even the immediate next TFK albums.

But I'll go along with the others and say that you should check them out in chronological order starting with Back In The World Of Adventures. If you enjoy that, definitely go to Retropolis and Stardust We Are next, though the latter is their first (of many) double albums, but I think if you enjoy their first two studio albums, you'll definitely be ready for Stardust We Are. After that, their sound evolves and changes bit by bit, especially as their line-up changes (with different bassists and drummers, additional auxiliary members). If you get to Unfold The Future, don't feel the need to tackle it all at once, as it is a BEHEMOTH of an album, and a bit different than what came before it.

Then again, if you love long albums with sprawling prog epics, you may enjoy most of their double albums. Personally, my top three TFK albums are Stardust We Are, Unfold The Future, and Paradox Hotel, and they're all lengthy double albums (each over 130 minutes long).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1832 on: May 30, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »
Paradox Hotel is still my favorite by a hair over Flower Power, but I know the fan base doesn't rate it as high overall as I do, so I take that into consideration when others ask for recs.

I also think starting chronologically is good because you start with two single albums (Back in the World of Adventures, Retropolis), both of which are excellent from start to finish.  Starting with single albums are easier hills to climb at first than trying to start with a double album that is over two hours.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1833 on: May 30, 2021, 03:42:04 PM »
The way I got into The Flower Kings was through their live album Instant DeLIVEry.

All those songs on that release I ended up enjoying. It's how I've come to like Pioneers of Aviation, I love that guitar melody at the end of the song.

I actually would recommend Paradox Hotel, Stardust We Are, Space Revolver or Unfold the Future. Those 4 albums are the ones I would consider the essential Flower Kings albums.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1834 on: May 30, 2021, 07:33:54 PM »
The way I got into The Flower Kings was through their live album Instant DeLIVEry.

All those songs on that release I ended up enjoying. It's how I've come to like Pioneers of Aviation, I love that guitar melody at the end of the song.

I actually would recommend Paradox Hotel, Stardust We Are, Space Revolver or Unfold the Future. Those 4 albums are the ones I would consider the essential Flower Kings albums.

I can get on board with those picks, even though the lack of inclusion of Flower Power breaks my heart a little. ;)

When it comes to their best single disc, I think Retropolis gets the slight nod over Space Revolver, but the latter has the two I Am the Sun tracks, which are two of their best songs ever (and could be their best song ever if one wants to cheat and call it one song).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1835 on: May 30, 2021, 07:46:40 PM »

I can get on board with those picks, even though the lack of inclusion of Flower Power breaks my heart a little. ;)

When it comes to their best single disc, I think Retropolis gets the slight nod over Space Revolver, but the latter has the two I Am the Sun tracks, which are two of their best songs ever (and could be their best song ever if one wants to cheat and call it one song).

If we go to 5 albums, Flower Power would definitely be next on that list.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1836 on: May 30, 2021, 08:03:53 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! :)   I shall start from the beginning and go through the albums in order.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1837 on: May 30, 2021, 08:26:13 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! :)   I shall start from the beginning and go through the albums in order.

Enjoy the ride! If you think to do it, it would be cool to read your thoughts on the albums and songs as you experience them! This might also give me a good reason to dive back into TFK again!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1838 on: May 30, 2021, 11:28:51 PM »

Enjoy the ride! If you think to do it, it would be cool to read your thoughts on the albums and songs as you experience them! This might also give me a good reason to dive back into TFK again!

-Marc.

That'd be cool  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: May 30, 2021, 11:52:55 PM »
I discovered TFK at the end of last year, and I think my favourite album might be Paradox Hotel.

My Top 5 would look something like this:

Paradox Hotel
Stardust We Are
Flower Power
Desolation Rose (I know, pretty controversial I guess)
Back In The World Of Adventures
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1840 on: May 31, 2021, 07:06:26 AM »
Well, earlier this morning I listened to Back in the World of Adventures. And I gotta say, if the debut album is this good, then I'm excited for what lies ahead! Now, it's not too marvelous for words or anything, but it left a strong impression and I really like what I'm hearing. It sounds very reminiscent of Transatlantic at times; not that that's surprising, since part of my interest in listening to The Flower Kings stemmed from knowing Roine Stolt is in both bands. I'm just saying there are moments on this album that would fit in really well on The Whirlwind, and that's a very good thing. Roine has a really nice voice, and the instrumental contributions from him and the other members are always great to listen to. I'm having a hard time choosing favorite songs here because all of them are really good, though if I had to think of the ones I like most right now, those would probably include "World of Adventures", "Train to Nowhere", and "Theme for a Hero". I like all of the songs on this album a lot so far, though. I enjoy how uplifting and full of energy the music is, and I think there's a good amount of diversity as well, with some songs having a lot of jazz elements or a moody atmosphere. Actually, as I type this, I'm listening to this album for the third time today. I'll probably give the next album, Retropolis, a listen later today as well. I could give more and more praise, but I'd just be saying "X is really good" over and over again. I'm already really glad I listened to this band (albeit slightly disappointed I didn't do so sooner), and I'm most certainly interested to hear what's in store for their next albums!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1841 on: May 31, 2021, 07:13:31 AM »
Well, earlier this morning I listened to Back in the World of Adventures. And I gotta say, if the debut album is this good, then I'm excited for what lies ahead! Now, it's not too marvelous for words or anything, but it left a strong impression and I really like what I'm hearing. It sounds very reminiscent of Transatlantic at times; not that that's surprising, since part of my interest in listening to The Flower Kings stemmed from knowing Roine Stolt is in both bands. I'm just saying there are moments on this album that would fit in really well on The Whirlwind, and that's a very good thing. Roine has a really nice voice, and the instrumental contributions from him and the other members are always great to listen to. I'm having a hard time choosing favorite songs here because all of them are really good, though if I had to think of the ones I like most right now, those would probably include "World of Adventures", "Train to Nowhere", and "Theme for a Hero". I like all of the songs on this album a lot so far, though. I enjoy how uplifting and full of energy the music is, and I think there's a good amount of diversity as well, with some songs having a lot of jazz elements or a moody atmosphere. Actually, as I type this, I'm listening to this album for the third time today. I'll probably give the next album, Retropolis, a listen later today as well. I could give more and more praise, but I'd just be saying "X is really good" over and over again. I'm already really glad I listened to this band (albeit slightly disappointed I didn't do so sooner), and I'm most certainly interested to hear what's in store for their next albums!

Nice!  Glad you enjoyed the debut.  Big Puzzle is my favorite from it, but your picks there are great as well.  The great thing about this band is that you usually get a lot of variety on their studio albums, and the pacing and flow are both always very well done.  Very much of an album band.  Keep the reviews coming.  :tup :tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1842 on: May 31, 2021, 08:37:30 AM »
My opinion is the first disc of Flower Power is the best single disc of TFK, but it's the first disc of a 2 disc double album. Although there are a few reprises of themes from disc 1 on the 2nd disc, it isn't anything to write home about. It's the only double of theirs I look at as two different (but related) albums.

Otherwise, the debut or Space Revolver are good albums for the uninitiated.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1843 on: May 31, 2021, 09:30:23 AM »
I like Disc 2 of Flower Power quite a bit, and love a few of the songs - Stupid Girl and Psycedelic Postcard most notably, and Deaf, Numb and Blind is pretty damn good as well - but the disparity between Disc 1 and Disc 2 is clear.  It makes the album sound lopsided, and if you listen to them straight through in order, Disc 2 can feel a bit disappointing.  On the other hand, I feel that Paradox Hotel and Stardust We Are are double albums where in both cases the two discs are about equally good.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1844 on: June 01, 2021, 03:32:45 AM »
I recently finished listening to Retropolis. To be honest, I was slightly worried I wouldn't like this one as much as the first album; the title track sounded good but didn't feel all that exciting or special. But after that, everything was really great. "Rhythm of the Sea" has this peaceful sound to it (well, after the first minute, at least), "There is More to This World" is probably my favorite song on the album, I really like how upbeat and optimistic it feels. "The Melting Pot" is simply a very good instrumental piece. "Silent Sorrow" sounds very unique and has a really cool instrumental section. And then there's the closing track, "The Road Back Home", which is another strong contender for my favorite song on the album. The whole song's great, but I must give special attention to the last two minutes or so. That is just amazing. Hard to say which one I like better of the two albums I've heard so far, but I am really liking both of them so far.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1845 on: June 01, 2021, 07:15:07 AM »
I recently finished listening to Retropolis. To be honest, I was slightly worried I wouldn't like this one as much as the first album; the title track sounded good but didn't feel all that exciting or special. But after that, everything was really great. "Rhythm of the Sea" has this peaceful sound to it (well, after the first minute, at least), "There is More to This World" is probably my favorite song on the album, I really like how upbeat and optimistic it feels. "The Melting Pot" is simply a very good instrumental piece. "Silent Sorrow" sounds very unique and has a really cool instrumental section. And then there's the closing track, "The Road Back Home", which is another strong contender for my favorite song on the album. The whole song's great, but I must give special attention to the last two minutes or so. That is just amazing. Hard to say which one I like better of the two albums I've heard so far, but I am really liking both of them so far.

Retropolis is (probably) my favorite TFK album.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1846 on: June 01, 2021, 07:42:57 AM »

I think I like Space Revolver a bit more, but I can't deny that Retropolis is pretty much a perfect prog-album. It's got everything and it does it all so well. I always appreciated the balance between instrumental and vocal tracks they had on their earlier albums.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1847 on: June 01, 2021, 07:51:41 AM »

I think I like Space Revolver a bit more, but I can't deny that Retropolis is pretty much a perfect prog-album. It's got everything and it does it all so well. I always appreciated the balance between instrumental and vocal tracks they had on their earlier albums.

Yep, the flow is just really nice throughout with the instrumental tracks, and it has three of my very favorite TFK tracks (There Is More To argue World, Flora Majora, and The Road Back Home). I even love the ping pong at the beginning!

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1848 on: June 01, 2021, 07:59:28 AM »
Yep, the flow is just really nice throughout with the instrumental tracks, and it has three of my very favorite TFK tracks (There Is More To argue World, Flora Majora, and The Road Back Home). I even love the ping pong at the beginning!

It's a very weird way to start an album, and I like it!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1849 on: June 01, 2021, 09:22:42 AM »

That's awesome. Retropolis isn't my favorite from the era, but it's one of their better albums overall. Have you listened to Roine's The Flower King album yet? I recommend checking that one out, too, before you go further in the TFK discography.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1850 on: June 01, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »

Glad you enjoyed their debut and sophomore albums! I'll echo what darkshade said and that before you go into Stardust We Are, definitely check out the proto-TFK Roine Stolt solo album, The Flower King. You'll get to hear "Humanizzimo", which is a 20-minute epic, and while not the best thing Roine/TFK have done, it's a very good epic for early TFK.

But yeah, if you loved BITWOA and Retropolis as much as you say, I'm sure you'll really like Stardust We Are. Just be sure to try and listen to it all as close to gether. I know some folks don't have the time to listen to a double album all at once, but you'll get to hear all of the recurring themes and motifs across the album if you listen to it in a tighter time span. There's a lot to digest in SWA, so it might warrant a couple of repeat listens before you make any big judgement calls on it, but once you hear how everything fits, it's very rewarding to listen to!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1851 on: June 01, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »
I disagree. No need to go backwards and listen to a solo album in the middle of the proper band albums.  Keep going in chronological order and hear the progression of the band from album to album. Glad you enjoyed Retropolis!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1852 on: June 01, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »
I disagree. No need to go backwards and listen to a solo album in the middle of the proper band albums.  Keep going in chronological order and hear the progression of the band from album to album. Glad you enjoyed Retropolis!

To me, the first 2 albums + Roine's TFK are a triptych of albums, and it's basically the same lineup just with Roine handling keyboard work as well as guitar. Plus, TFK played Humanizzimo on Meet The Flower Kings so at some point TFK album will need to be listened to, even if Revenge isn't doing live albums, MTFK is an essential listen (it's almost exclusively epics performed)

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1853 on: June 01, 2021, 02:34:20 PM »
I'll get to The Flower King at some point, but I'd rather go through the studio albums of The Flower Kings in order first just for consistency.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1854 on: June 01, 2021, 02:51:32 PM »
I'll get to The Flower King at some point, but I'd rather go through the studio albums of The Flower Kings in order first just for consistency.

Fair enough, but the further you get from their debut, the further you get from the sound of early 90s Roine. The sound of TFK evolves with each album, so by the time you get to Space Revolver or Unfold The Future at the turn of the century, going back to The Flower King might be like going from Genesis' Duke back to Trespass (well, maybe not THAT drastic of a difference), but I'll agree with darkshade, Stolt's TFK is very much rooted in the sound of early TFK. I'd say definitely get around to it before Space Revolver (before Jonas Reingold joined the band, where his sound helped evolve and change the sound).

-Marc.