Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 233358 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. Islands, Oct. 30
« Reply #1645 on: November 25, 2020, 12:05:33 AM »
Flower Power without Deaf, Numb & Blind???

Yes. Sacrifices have to be made.

Yes and this sacrifice should be called Magic Pie  :biggrin:

Noo, Magic Pie is probably my favourite on the whole album. I know, I've only been listening to it a couple of days but damn that song is great. DAT CHORUS.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1646 on: November 25, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »
I love Magic Pie!

It takes me through the skyyyyyyy! ♫♫

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1647 on: November 25, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »
Okay okay okay  :lol

I listened to Magic Pie again and you guys are right, it's a very good song. I still like Deaf Numb & Blind better, but Magic Pie's chorus is indeed... magic ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1648 on: November 25, 2020, 09:37:11 AM »
To be clear, that's not to say I don't like any of the tracks I omitted. But that's the whole point of the challenge to edit the albums down to single-disc length.

To carry on with said challenge:

Unfold the Future (69:12)
1. The Truth Will Set You Free - 30:50
2. Monkey Business - 4:23
3. Black and White - 7:39
4. Fast Lane - 6:33
5. Grand Old World - 5:26
6. Silent Inferno - 14:21

I've done a little bit of tracklist adjusting here to balance it out a bit more. Again, my experience with Devil's Playground has tarnished that song a bit for me.

Paradox Hotel (63:49)
1. Monsters & Men - 21:21
2. Pioneers of Aviation - 7:49
3. Lucy Had a Dream - 5:28
4. Man of the World - 5:55
5. Life Will Kill You - 7:05
6. Paradox Hotel - 6:29
7. Blue Planet - 9:42

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: November 25, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
Damn, no Hit Me With A Hit or End On A High Note?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1650 on: November 25, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »
Going through Unfold the Future to see about a single-disc edit, and to be honest I’m not sure that wouldn’t just be the same as the first disc. I think there are some strong parts on Devil’s Playground, but also a lot of not strong parts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1651 on: November 25, 2020, 04:12:53 PM »
Damn, no Hit Me With A Hit or End On A High Note?

Busting Paradox Hotel, which is possibly my favorite TFK album, down to one disc would be pretty difficult.  I know that End on a High Note (top 3 song from the record) would survive it, but not sure Hit Me... would. 

Honestly, even though Bavarian Skies and Mommy, Leave the Light On are not among my favorites, I like them a lot within the flow of the first disc, and can't imagine messing with that immaculate run and flow of Lucy Had a Dream through End of a High Note, so I would have to keep all five.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1652 on: November 28, 2020, 09:05:48 AM »
Listening to Retropolis today and Flora Majora's middle section jumped out at me. It's never been a favorite song of mine, but I always appreciated how composed, melodic and interesting their earlier instrumentals were until the jazz influence took over and everything became more "improv-y". The middle section of Flora is especially beautiful...these grand, triumphant melodies with subdued drums and an expressive guitar solo were such a trademark of their earlier material. I hate to live in the past and I really enjoy Islands, but Roine's songwriting was on a whole other level back then. Theme For A Hero is another one that really hits hard.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1653 on: November 28, 2020, 09:27:30 AM »
Listening to Retropolis today and Flora Majora's middle section jumped out at me. It's never been a favorite song of mine, but I always appreciated how composed, melodic and interesting their earlier instrumentals were until the jazz influence took over and everything became more "improv-y". The middle section of Flora is especially beautiful...these grand, triumphant melodies with subdued drums and an expressive guitar solo were such a trademark of their earlier material. I hate to live in the past and I really enjoy Islands, but Roine's songwriting was on a whole other level back then. Theme For A Hero is another one that really hits hard.

I love Flora Majora. Especially where it repeats the “open up your eyes” melody from Scanning the Greenhouse (off Roine’s The Flower Kings).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1654 on: November 28, 2020, 11:31:35 AM »
I've been spinning Retropolis a lot this week, actually. I especially like The Judas kiss and Silent sorrow. There are plenty of great instrumental bits on it, I agree.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1655 on: November 28, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
Silent Sorrow will always be one of my favorites.  It was integral in making me a big fan.  I still can't believe my luck, too, as they actually played the only time I've seen the band back in late '06.  :coolio :coolio

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1656 on: November 29, 2020, 12:56:56 AM »
Listening to Paradox Hotel now. Is Bavarian Skies sort of a Nazi lullaby? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Flower Kings Official Thread
« Reply #1657 on: November 29, 2020, 06:17:04 PM »
I think these previous posts by Marc and me sum it up well. :)

Ahhh good old "Bavarian Skies"... AFAIK, it doesn't reflect anything by Roine or the band. It's just another part of the story/concept that they decided to throw in there.

BTW, what's the deal with "Bavarian Skies"?

IIRC, it is supposed to be in the first person of a character staying at the hotel. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: November 29, 2020, 11:52:46 PM »
Okay, thanks Kev :)

Offline DTA

« Reply #1659 on: November 30, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »

I love Flora Majora. Especially where it repeats the “open up your eyes” melody from Scanning the Greenhouse (off Roine’s The Flower Kings).

I knew that melody was from a prior Stolt song but I couldn't remember which! Roine was cool about throwing in little references to other songs in his stuff - The End of Innocence intro from Skenet Bedrar, Inget Nytt Under Solen in The Pilgrim's Inn, The Melting Pot using the melody from Retropolis, etc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1660 on: November 30, 2020, 03:43:09 PM »

I knew that melody was from a prior Stolt song but I couldn't remember which! Roine was cool about throwing in little references to other songs in his stuff - The End of Innocence intro from Skenet Bedrar, Inget Nytt Under Solen in The Pilgrim's Inn, The Melting Pot using the melody from Retropolis, etc.

There are also a few references to other classic prog songs on those early TFK albums. Back in the World of Adventures has a brief Genesis reference. There’s a King Crimson reference somewhere on Retropolis (I think), and a Camel reference on Stardust We Are.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 06:02:27 PM by HOF »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1661 on: November 30, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #1662 on: December 01, 2020, 11:12:54 PM »
Listening to Retropolis again. Man, Roine was on fire on this album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1663 on: December 02, 2020, 07:37:31 PM »
Listening to Retropolis again. Man, Roine was on fire on this album.

Yeah, he was firing on all cylinders from a songwriting standpoint on that album, and his guitar playing was out of this world as well.  To me, it's still neck and neck with Space Revolver for best TFK single studio album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: December 02, 2020, 11:57:49 PM »
I gave Desolation Rose a few spins yesterday and I really liked it. What do you guys think about that album, and how would you rank it to their other albums?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1665 on: December 03, 2020, 12:07:39 AM »
I gave Desolation Rose a few spins yesterday and I really liked it. What do you guys think about that album, and how would you rank it to their other albums?

I like it, a bit more than the preceeding album Banks Of Eden, and the following album Waiting For Miracles. I only listen to DR in my personal expanded/edited version that mixes in the bonus tracks to make it a more traditional TFK double album.

I think the general consensus here has been that DR is a lower-tier album for many and I feel like I'm one of the few here that likes it overall. It's got some great melodies and moments throughout! I think I put it around the middle of the pack, but even then, mid-tier TFK is still great music!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1666 on: December 03, 2020, 01:29:01 AM »
Of the ones I've heard, it's clearly my favorite. It's consistent, catchy and powerful song after song after song. Tower one, Dark fascist skies, Silent masses, White tuxedos, Last carnivore... And who can forget that epic scream at the end of the closing track?  :tup

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1667 on: December 03, 2020, 02:00:59 AM »
Despite having its moments, it's probably my least favourite TFK album. That said, White Tuxedos is a real earworm.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: December 03, 2020, 02:02:08 AM »
Of the ones I've heard, it's clearly my favorite. It's consistent, catchy and powerful song after song after song. Tower one, Dark fascist skies, Silent masses, White tuxedos, Last carnivore... And who can forget that epic scream at the end of the closing track?  :tup

That's my impression of it too, very catchy stuff. Great riffs and choruses.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1669 on: December 03, 2020, 02:02:57 AM »
Desolation Rose has really jumped up in my ranking of FK albums lately. I’ve been playing it a lot at work and there’s a ton of really strong melodies that run through and reappear in different configurations. It’s basically a pre-Islands though I think the high points of DR are much higher. Tower One is an absolute beast and might be my new favorite of their songs in the 10-13 minute category. Interstellar Visitations is another high point.

I really can’t see how this one rates so low. So many great guitar parts and melodies

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1670 on: December 03, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »

It is easily my least favorite. I like it, but I don't love it.  Recent listens of all of their albums reinforced my belief that every other studio album is (at the very least) quite a bit better, IMO.

There are some glorious melodies on that album, but they are often surrounded by ones that feel like they missed the mark. The middle section of Tower One is killer, but the first and last few minutes all leave me kind of cold.  The Resurrected Jesus sounds like classic TFK in those verses, but then the chorus falls kind of flat and takes a lot of the air out of the song. 

To me, the best songs from those sessions were on the bonus disc, but I do not factor in bonus stuff when determining how good a record is.  I judge only the proper album.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1671 on: December 03, 2020, 08:12:51 PM »
DR is not even my least favorite TFK album, I just don't listen to it. Never been into this album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: December 04, 2020, 12:23:24 AM »
Wow, really diverse opinions on this one then :lol

After a couple of weeks of listening to nothing but TFK I can present my 10 favourite songs at the moment (in chronological order).

The Flower King
World of Adventures (probably the best of them all)
Train To Nowhere
In The Eyes Of The World
Magic Pie
I Am The Sun (1 & 2)
Hit Me With A Hit
End On A High Note
Wicked Old Symphony
Black Swan
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 12:33:57 AM by Zydar »

Offline DTA

« Reply #1673 on: December 04, 2020, 02:05:34 AM »

After a couple of weeks of listening to nothing but TFK I can present my 10 favourite songs at the moment (in chronological order).

The Flower King
Train To Nowhere
In The Eyes Of The World
Magic Pie
I Am The Sun (1 & 2)
Hit Me With A Hit
End On A High Note
Wicked Old Symphony
Black Swan

That’s a solid top 10. Glad to see Magic Pie on there! I always thought that was Hasse’s strongest song by far. I’m also surprised to see Train to Nowhere, Hit Me, and the two newer songs beating out stuff like Stardust We Are or Big Puzzle.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: December 04, 2020, 02:08:25 AM »
I guess I'm more drawn to the shorter, catchier stuff than the long epics right now. I'm sure they will click with me after a while :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1675 on: December 04, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »

The Flower King
Train To Nowhere
In The Eyes Of The World
Magic Pie
I Am The Sun (1 & 2)
Hit Me With A Hit
End On A High Note
Wicked Old Symphony
Black Swan

Interesting top 10.  :tup :tup

I suspect, as you keep listening, that will change a lot over time.  I have a few favorites that are always up there (the first 7 listed below), but the others tends to fluctuate.  If I had to spitball a top 10 right now, I would go with:

Business Vamp (add Dawn and Simple Song to it if I can combine those three from the suite into a single track)
I Am the Sun
Big Puzzle
Silent Sorrow
Ghost of the Red Cloud
End of a High Note
What If God Is Alone?
All You Can Save
The Road Back Home
The End of Innocence

Offline 425

« Reply #1676 on: December 06, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »
Train To Nowhere

I'm really only beginning to explore the Flower Kings' discography (kind of been working at it for a couple of years, just going a bit a time). But I think this is a really special song that I don't see people talking about very much.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 01:34:53 AM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: December 07, 2020, 01:23:15 AM »
They seem to have a few live albums too. Which should I check out first?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1678 on: December 07, 2020, 08:35:10 AM »
They seem to have a few live albums too. Which should I check out first?

If you like epics, go for Meet The Flower Kings. If you want a large variety of songs, go for either Alive On Planet Earth for earlier material, or Instant Delivery for middle-era stuff (a show from their Paradox Hotel tour).

Speaking of live TFK, I almost wish they had released a live album after WFM just to showcase what this latest lineup can do on stage, but now that touring is nearly impossible, I doubt we will see another live album anytime soon. I believe the last live album they put out was Tour Kaputt, released several years after the Sum Of No Evil tour it was recorded on, so well over a decade ago. I almost expected a live album from their BOE/DR era, but nope...ah well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1679 on: December 07, 2020, 09:09:01 AM »
Did they even do any shows in the aftermath of WFM?