Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 233764 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. Islands, Oct. 30
« Reply #1610 on: November 15, 2020, 07:27:55 AM »
Also, the LP looks absolutely beautiful! Usually, Insideout "clear" vinyls are not really transparent, but murky (not sure if that's the right word). But this one:  :omg:

That is glorious!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1611 on: November 15, 2020, 07:42:52 AM »
I agreed (agreeD) on the "strange" sound of ISLANDS. But now that my box set finally has arrived, I gotta say that the mix sounds much more balanced on the vinyls than on the digital files I had before. Also, the sound is warmer and more transparent.

Also, the LP looks absolutely beautiful! Usually, Insideout "clear" vinyls are not really transparent, but murky (not sure if that's the right word). But this one:  :omg:

I am now at peace with what I thought was kind of a weird sound  :lol And I am VERY pleased with the purchase of this (overpriced) box set, since it's gorgeous and sounds great.

Now, does "Hidden Angles" have a weird skip around 0:40 on the vinyl? I have to know lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1612 on: November 15, 2020, 07:57:15 AM »
I agreed (agreeD) on the "strange" sound of ISLANDS. But now that my box set finally has arrived, I gotta say that the mix sounds much more balanced on the vinyls than on the digital files I had before. Also, the sound is warmer and more transparent.

I am now at peace with what I thought was kind of a weird sound  :lol And I am VERY pleased with the purchase of this (overpriced) box set, since it's gorgeous and sounds great.

Now, does "Hidden Angles" have a weird skip around 0:40 on the vinyl? I have to know lol

-Marc.

Sorry Marc I forgot all about that haha
Yes, it's there. But still not enough to bother me ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1613 on: November 15, 2020, 08:51:24 AM »

-Marc.

Sorry Marc I forgot all about that haha
Yes, it's there. But still not enough to bother me ;)

I guess the error was in the mixing stage then if it made to both the CD and vinyl masters. A shame, really, and quite the oversight on Roine's part. The only blemish on an otherwise pretty good album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #1614 on: November 15, 2020, 09:13:06 AM »
I haven’t noticed the skip yet, but I haven’t tried to look for it. I figure if I never do I may never hear it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1615 on: November 15, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
I forgot about the skip. I haven't noticed it yet, so maybe that's a good thing. I'll be on the look out next time.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1616 on: November 15, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »
What a gorgeous piece of vinyl.  :hefdaddy

Also, I have just now noticed that the vinyl edition has the album split into six sides. I find it very odd. When there are two CDs of 45 minutes each, that can fit on four sides of vinyl perfectly.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1617 on: November 15, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »
It's really not that big a deal. I don't even hear it anymore. But then, DTF went absolutely nuts and spent pages and pages arguing over "People just don't have the time for music anymore" from DT, so it's not a massive surprise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1618 on: November 15, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »

Speaking of drummers, what is your preference in relation to the drummers who were part of TFK?

Zoltan, without a doubt.  None of the albums he plays on is my favorite, but his playing is impressive as hell on each, and all three albums sound awesome in large part due to how great his drum sounds. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1619 on: November 15, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
What a gorgeous piece of vinyl.  :hefdaddy

Also, I have just now noticed that the vinyl edition has the album split into six sides. I find it very odd. When there are two CDs of 45 minutes each, that can fit on four sides of vinyl perfectly.

Well, the 48 and 43 minutes of the two CDs would have fit, but because of the song lengths they would have had to split some songs in half.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1620 on: November 15, 2020, 10:59:21 PM »
That vinyl is pretty. Like it was birthed from the ocean.  :heart
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online HOF

« Reply #1621 on: November 21, 2020, 09:27:46 AM »
Spent a little time last night playing with an abridged, single disc length version of Islands. One thing I realized while doing it is that I didn’t dislike any of the songs/tracks, which is good. I was ultimately pretty harsh, cutting some tracks that I know people here have mentioned liking. But I felt pretty good dropping the ones that I did in the end. I moved a few things around, but mostly kept to the order things were originally in. The finished product is 68 minute and flows pretty well IMO:

1. Racing With Blinders On
2. From the Ground
3. Morning News
4. Broken
5. Tangerine
6. Solaris
7. All I Need is Love
8. Serpentine
9. Telescope
10. Looking for Answers
11. Northern Lights
12. Between Hope and Fear
13. Islands

Just got done with a full listen this morning, and I really liked it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1622 on: November 21, 2020, 02:29:41 PM »
I gave Islands another listen. I've had no issue letting it ride after the first disc. I rarely actually listen to the actual CD but generally still treat individual discs as their own, queuing up 2nd discs separately, but Islands is just a little longer than one full 80 minute CD so for me it's not that long. I'm slowly starting to get into more of the individual tracks, but it's still a lot to digest. Going through the last few TFK/Roine releases has made me realize how much I love the first half dozen TFK/Roine albums from the 90s so much more than anything that's come out since after Jonas joined, though I love his playing. I like almost everything the band has been putting out but that sweet spot for me is anything released from 93-00, but of course, I think Unfold The Future is their best album overall, so there's that, so maybe everything since UtF has been really good, or just kind of so-so for the band generally. With Islands, I feel more like we have one foot in the Modernized Classic Prog "rawk" TFK sound, with the other foot in the modern 'mature' and jazzier, slightly experimental, slightly darker TFK sound. I think it's a great combo, they kind of drop the dark overtones on this one so that really gives it a brighter sound. I still don't put it in their top 5, but it's very good for this late in the game.

I think I can give TFK a ranking now, I will include relevant Roine Stolt albums in bold. I took some liberties with Flower Power, because the first disc, to me, is the best single disc of Flower Kings music out there, and to me both discs are different enough on their own, unlike other double albums by TFK where each feel like one half of a whole. Otherwise, UtF is the best album IMO. I like all these albums except the last one.

Flower Power (disc 1)
Unfold The Future
Stardust We Are
Back In The World of Adventures
The Flower King
Space Revolver
The Sum Of No Evil
Hydrophonia
Retropolis
The Rainmaker
Islands
Flower Power (disc 2)
Paradox Hotel
Banks of Eden
Adam & Eve
Waiting For Miracles
Manifesto of an Alchemist
Desolation Rose

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1623 on: November 21, 2020, 03:35:13 PM »
Yeah, Desolation Rose really does stand out as the least best of the bunch by a significant margin.  It's not bad; it just feels a bit uninspired and the hooks aren't quite there.  I did a binge of most of their albums again recently, as I often do when a favorite releases a new album, and it was the only album I didn't enjoy (at the very least) a lot.  Even the much-maligned Rainmaker, despite some major hiccups on there, has some great stuff on there, and The Sum of No Evil is aging pretty well for me.  I was pretty iffy on that one for a long time, but I am liking it more and more as time goes on.  Still wouldn't put high on my list, but I definitely enjoy it much more now than I ever did before.

Online HOF

« Reply #1624 on: November 21, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »
I do want to note that Roine’s solos on Islands seem to be really well done. Listening to Telescope right now for example. That’s just an awesome, soulful solo with some really cool licks. In the past as well his solos have been a bit shrill, but I really like his tone on Islands.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: November 22, 2020, 01:15:22 AM »
Looking at darkshade's rankings, I realise I haven't checked out Flower Power yet. I need to get on that.

I've only heard Stardust We Are, Space Revolver, Paradox Hotel, Waiting For Miracles, Islands - and The Road Back Home, which was my introduction to them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1626 on: November 22, 2020, 08:28:43 AM »
Spent a little time last night playing with an abridged, single disc length version of Islands. One thing I realized while doing it is that I didn’t dislike any of the songs/tracks, which is good. I was ultimately pretty harsh, cutting some tracks that I know people here have mentioned liking. But I felt pretty good dropping the ones that I did in the end. I moved a few things around, but mostly kept to the order things were originally in. The finished product is 68 minute and flows pretty well IMO:

2. From the Ground
3. Morning News
4. Broken
5. Tangerine
6. Solaris
7. All I Need is Love
8. Serpentine
9. Telescope
10. Looking for Answers
11. Northern Lights
13. Islands

I suspect I will do this at some point, but have not yet. I can't imagine getting rid of anything from Disc 1 except maybe Tangerine (love the verses, chorus is somewhat of a letdown, but I still like the song) and Journeyman.   I know Roine has said the whole album is like one long piece that all kind of goes together, but I am not hearing it that way.  Feels like a double album of mostly individual songs that work just fine on their own.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1627 on: November 22, 2020, 09:29:15 AM »
Looking at darkshade's rankings, I realise I haven't checked out Flower Power yet. I need to get on that.

I've only heard Stardust We Are, Space Revolver, Paradox Hotel, Waiting For Miracles, Islands - and The Road Back Home, which was my introduction to them.

You owe it to yourself. Flower Power has a very BIG sound. First disc is nearly as epic as The Whirlwind.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1628 on: November 22, 2020, 10:10:20 AM »

You owe it to yourself. Flower Power has a very BIG sound. First disc is nearly as epic as The Whirlwind.

I haven't completely gotten into The Garden Of Dream yet. But I love some of the second disc's songs. Especially Deaf, Numb & Blind, Corruption, Calling Home.

I realised, I think the band is very strong in writing 10-15 min songs. In The Eyes Of The World, Circus Brimstone, Silent Inferno (my favourite song of the band EVER), Solaris (off Islands), The Sum Of No Reason, One More Time, as well as the mentioned two from Flower Power are amazing. I'd also like to mention Tower ONE from the often (and just before) slayed Desolation Rose. Themes are intertwining and being reprised very well here. And Felix Lehrmann is one awesome drummer!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1629 on: November 22, 2020, 11:20:10 AM »
Tower One is the only song on DR I'll go back to.

Online HOF

« Reply #1630 on: November 22, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »

2. From the Ground
3. Morning News
4. Broken
5. Tangerine
6. Solaris
7. All I Need is Love
8. Serpentine
9. Telescope
10. Looking for Answers
11. Northern Lights
13. Islands

I suspect I will do this at some point, but have not yet. I can't imagine getting rid of anything from Disc 1 except maybe Tangerine (love the verses, chorus is somewhat of a letdown, but I still like the song) and Journeyman.   I know Roine has said the whole album is like one long piece that all kind of goes together, but I am not hearing it that way.  Feels like a double album of mostly individual songs that work just fine on their own.

I started to pick up on some of the themes while putting this together actually. You can hear the theme from Islands on Racing With Blinders On for instance. There are also some repeating lyrics (“opening like a rose” and “watching through my telescope” are two I’ve picked up on). But I also don’t feel that the songs flow together in any sort of necessary way. Most of them can be rearranged without losing any sense of story or flow from one track to the next.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1631 on: November 22, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »

Hmmm, now that leads to a good question: which is the better suite, Garden of Dreams or The Whirlwind?  Both are amazing, so I'd have to think about that one.

I started to pick up on some of the themes while putting this together actually. You can hear the theme from Islands on Racing With Blinders On for instance. There are also some repeating lyrics (“opening like a rose” and “watching through my telescope” are two I’ve picked up on). But I also don’t feel that the songs flow together in any sort of necessary way. Most of them can be rearranged without losing any sense of story or flow from one track to the next.

Musically, I agree.  Honestly, after giving much of another listen earlier, I could probably lose all of the instrumentals on this and not miss them a lot. They are fine within the flow of the record, but if I do an abridged version at some point, I doubt I will keep any.

Online HOF

« Reply #1632 on: November 22, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »

Hmmm, now that leads to a good question: which is the better suite, Garden of Dreams or The Whirlwind?  Both are amazing, so I'd have to think about that one.

Musically, I agree.  Honestly, after giving much of another listen earlier, I could probably lose all of the instrumentals on this and not miss them a lot. They are fine within the flow of the record, but if I do an abridged version at some point, I doubt I will keep any.

Yeah, the instrumental tracks were the first to go for me, though I kept Looking for Answers (great guitar solo) and the closing track Islands which I think is a nice ending to the album (and reminds me of Yes).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1633 on: November 22, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »

Yeah, the instrumental tracks were the first to go for me, though I kept Looking for Answers (great guitar solo) and the closing track Islands which I think is a nice ending to the album (and reminds me of Yes).

I have to admit that the last few songs are falling kind of flat for me so far.  I don't dislike them, but it feels like the album just kind of meanders to its end after a really strong start (Disc 1).  Hoping that will change as I listen more.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1634 on: November 23, 2020, 09:36:52 AM »
Yea the 2nd disc is still not holding up for me like the first disc is, I cannot recall much of the 2nd disc other than the title track. TFK albums are tougher nuts to crack than other band's albums, so I won't give up yet.

Online HOF

« Reply #1635 on: November 23, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
I generally felt the same way with the second disc, but the three that really stand out are All I Need is Love, Telescope, and Looking for Answers. Northern Lights and Serpentine are cool too. It’s one of the reasons I think pairing down to one disc would help though. I just don’t think all of the material is strong enough to hold interest for two discs.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1636 on: November 23, 2020, 01:30:36 PM »
I'm curious how people would edit other FK double albums down to one disc, while we're here.

Stardust We Are (72:21)
1. In the Eyes of the World - 10:38
2. Just This Once - 7:54
3. Circus Brimstone - 12:03
4. Different People - 6:17
5. Kingdom of Lies - 5:47
6. Ghost of the Red Cloud - 4:37
7. Stardust We Are - 25:03

Flower Power (74:20)
1. Garden of Dreams - 59:16
2. Magic Pie - 8:19
3. Painter - 6:45
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:46:05 PM by RoeDent »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1637 on: November 23, 2020, 01:57:12 PM »
I'm curious how people would edit other FK double albums down to one disc, while we're here.

Stardust We Are (72:21)
1. In the Eyes of the World - 10:38
2. Just This Once - 7:54
3. Circus Brimstone - 12:03
4. Different People - 6:17
5. Kingdom of Lies - 5:47
6. Ghost of the Red Cloud - 4:37
7. Stardust We Are - 25:03

Flower Power (74:20)
1. Garden of Dreams - 59:16
2. Magic Pie - 8:19
3. Painter - 6:45

Flower Power without Deaf, Numb & Blind???

Online HOF

« Reply #1638 on: November 23, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
Kind of quick and dirty abridged Stardust We Are:

1. In The Eyes of the World
2. Just This Once
3. Church of Your Heart
4. The Man Who Walked With Kings
5. The Merrygoround
6. Different People
7. Kingdom of Lies
8. Stardust We Are

Just under one disc length at 78 minutes. I wish I could have for If 28 on there though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1639 on: November 23, 2020, 06:09:45 PM »
I like the middle three tracks on Disc 2 of Unfold the Future, but I remember making an abridged version of that album that displaced those three songs with Silent Inferno to where my go-to version for a while was:

Genie in a Bottle
Fast Lane
Grand Old World
Silent Inferno
Man Overboard
Solitary Shell
Devil's Playground

Online HOF

« Reply #1640 on: November 23, 2020, 07:37:36 PM »
Kind of quick and dirty abridged Stardust We Are:

1. In The Eyes of the World
2. Just This Once
3. Church of Your Heart
4. The Man Who Walked With Kings
5. The Merrygoround
6. Different People
7. Kingdom of Lies
8. Stardust We Are

Just under one disc length at 78 minutes. I wish I could have for If 28 on there though.

Man, this is a really fun ride with no let up.

Online HOF

« Reply #1641 on: November 23, 2020, 09:40:33 PM »
So I finally found a reasonably priced copy of Back In The World of Adventures over at Discogs. Came in the mail today but haven’t had a chance to listen yet (I’ve heard it before though). Looking at it now and it looks like an original pressing. CD says made in Sweden, has the Foxtrot Records label. Wasn’t really paying any attention to the version when I ordered it, but that’s kind of cool.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1642 on: November 24, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »

Yes. Sacrifices have to be made.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1643 on: November 24, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »

Yes. Sacrifices have to be made.

Yes and this sacrifice should be called Magic Pie  :biggrin:

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1644 on: November 24, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
Nope. I've made my stand. You can make your own version of the album with DN&B on it if you want.