Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 233168 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. new studio album in '19 (first since '13)!!
« Reply #1435 on: September 02, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »
I can imagine an extremely bored Roger Dean in quarantine creating like 500 pieces and going "uuuh, do any bands want these? I've got a lot fresh and ready to go."  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. Islands, Oct. 30
« Reply #1436 on: September 11, 2020, 07:21:33 AM »
New lyric video for the new song "Broken" - https://youtu.be/z3vktAkbeRE

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1437 on: September 11, 2020, 08:45:40 AM »
I really enjoyed that. Has more of an classic/early TFK vibe, and it also is quite Yes-ish. Might just be checking this one out after all.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1438 on: September 11, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »
Seems like an odd first single choice but I heard a lot of things I liked. I'm going to avoid listening to any more of it so I'm completely fresh when the album comes out

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1439 on: September 11, 2020, 10:57:28 AM »
Wow, I really dig that song and the full on analog sounds  :hat   

Just ordered my signed copy

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1440 on: September 11, 2020, 11:41:11 AM »
Wow, I really dig that song and the full on analog sounds  :hat   

Just ordered my signed copy

Signed where? From roinestolt.com ? I hope you got one of the first 200 because I was able to place an order there nine days ago, back when the album was revealed.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: September 11, 2020, 11:46:24 AM »
Oh, I don't care if it actually signed or not.  I just assumed I'd be among the first 200 on Roine's site, but I've already got tons of shit signed - some of it by people who aren't even in the band anymore like Zoltan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1442 on: September 11, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »
Oh, I don't care if it actually signed or not.  I just assumed I'd be among the first 200 on Roine's site, but I've already got tons of shit signed - some of it by people who aren't even in the band anymore like Zoltan

Oh wow, that's awesome! I don't have many things signed by TFK. I think I got the signed postcard from one of their last few albums. I also own a Paradox Hotel poster signed by that line-up from an auction on eBay (got it for fairly cheap too). I might have a couple more Roine signatures on other non-TFK albums, too.

As for the new single - it definitely bodes well for the sound of the album. Roine wasn't kidding around with the VINTAGE KEYBOARDS thing he keeps promoting on these newest albums by the band. Maybe he wants us to forget that they just casually replaced Tomas Bodin just as easily as they replaced their drummers in the past? Either way, Bodin or no Bodin, this song sounded pretty Classic-TFK to me, and I'm excited to hear the rest of the album!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1443 on: September 12, 2020, 09:02:08 AM »
I guess I haven’t been paying close enough attention, but I didn’t realize Bodin was out of TFK. Wasn’t he having some health issues (he was supposed to join Moon Safari a few years back but couldn’t due to some sort of health issue if I recall)?

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1444 on: September 12, 2020, 02:30:25 PM »
Flower kings and the double albums jeez......i get so fatigued with them as i  get older (double albums that is not TFK) BUT i actually loved the last album so i'm game.

new single is ok.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1445 on: September 15, 2020, 02:13:51 AM »
I mean, they're double albums but they're not the 130-140-minute double albums we had with the likes of Flower Power and Unfold the Future. 90 minutes is a bit more manageable.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: September 17, 2020, 11:37:58 AM »
ANYONE HERE ABLE TO INTERVIEW ROINE STOLT FOR THE UPCOMING RELEASE?

Wed, Sept. 23rd
12pm EST - 3pm EST

Thurs, Sept, 24th
1pm EST - 4pm EST

Wed, Sept. 30th
12pm EST - 3pm EST

Thurs, Oct. 1st
1pm EST - 4pm EST

PM me TODAY!!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: September 17, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »

Oh wow, that's awesome! I don't have many things signed by TFK. I think I got the signed postcard from one of their last few albums. I also own a Paradox Hotel poster signed by that line-up from an auction on eBay (got it for fairly cheap too). I might have a couple more Roine signatures on other non-TFK albums, too.

As for the new single - it definitely bodes well for the sound of the album. Roine wasn't kidding around with the VINTAGE KEYBOARDS thing he keeps promoting on these newest albums by the band. Maybe he wants us to forget that they just casually replaced Tomas Bodin just as easily as they replaced their drummers in the past? Either way, Bodin or no Bodin, this song sounded pretty Classic-TFK to me, and I'm excited to hear the rest of the album!

-Marc.

I know one of the promoters who brought them to the east coast in the Adam & Eve / Paradox Hotel time frame.  I got to hang out with the group at sound check, eat dinner with them and then we sat in the front row for show two years in a row.  Hasse was dripping sweat on my head during the concert  :lol    We hung out with TFK and a local group called Fluttr Effect after the show and I got them to sign the concert poster for me that year, then the following year I got them to sign a couple of my CDs and I got Hasse to sign one of his Musical Companion CDs and I got Jonas to sign a Karmakanic CD too  :biggrin:

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1448 on: September 18, 2020, 03:03:00 PM »
Just finding out about the new TFK album, great news. I haven't even gotten around to checking out the last one. Will have to remedy that.

Flower kings and the double albums jeez......i get so fatigued with them as i  get older (double albums that is not TFK) BUT i actually loved the last album so i'm game.

It's only a little bit longer than one full CD, though. Each disc is only a little over 40 minutes. It's a 1970s-length double album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1449 on: September 25, 2020, 03:02:55 AM »
Second single off Islands! With the most low-budget music video since Haken's Darkest Light  :biggrin:

The Flower Kings are pleased to launch the second single from their forthcoming new album 'Islands'. Listen to 'From The Ground' here: https://youtu.be/AANDQG4R3d4   
“'Here’s ‘From The Ground’ - a song from our “Islands” album! The song is a shorter, upbeat tune;
A celebration of all the small things - the importance of family, friends, a home, simple things in our everyday life. This video is a very simple photo gallery of recent touring - something most of us cannot experience right now - something that we all - band and fans - wanna get back to as soon as possible. Meanwhile; stay healthy - keep the distance when needed  - stay friendly - and let our minds stay positive and full of compassion! PEACE & LOVE ! - RS.”
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1450 on: September 25, 2020, 06:36:11 AM »
Second single off Islands! With the most low-budget music video since Haken's Darkest Light  :biggrin:

The Flower Kings are pleased to launch the second single from their forthcoming new album 'Islands'. Listen to 'From The Ground' here: https://youtu.be/AANDQG4R3d4   
“'Here’s ‘From The Ground’ - a song from our “Islands” album! The song is a shorter, upbeat tune;
A celebration of all the small things - the importance of family, friends, a home, simple things in our everyday life. This video is a very simple photo gallery of recent touring - something most of us cannot experience right now - something that we all - band and fans - wanna get back to as soon as possible. Meanwhile; stay healthy - keep the distance when needed  - stay friendly - and let our minds stay positive and full of compassion! PEACE & LOVE ! - RS.”

LOL it is a very low-budget "video" but at very least the song was enjoyable, but not as impactful as the first single. I'm sure itll hit different within the context of the album though.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1451 on: October 01, 2020, 07:45:57 AM »
https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-flower-kings-islands-insideout/

One of the first reviews for Islands! Sounds promising so far!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1452 on: October 01, 2020, 08:13:20 AM »
https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/the-flower-kings-islands-insideout/

One of the first reviews for Islands! Sounds promising so far!

-Marc.

What is this dude's problem with Abacab, Tormato and especially The Final Cut  :angry: I do think that The Flower Kings have some albums that are not essential. Adam & Eve is commonly considered one of their worst albums. But this reviewer sounds like a total fanboy to me anyway  :lol

Anyway, I was already able to listen to the album and I think it's a step up from Waiting For Miracles. It's a lot to digest though and I have only heard it twice, so I don't dare to express a real opinion yet. However, I think that while the album's sound is not bad, Stolt could hand over production/mixing/sound duties to someone else for once. Drums could be higher in the mix, the whole sound could use just a little more dirt, loudness (yeah I said it) and edge.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1453 on: October 01, 2020, 09:36:35 AM »
Abacab and Tormato were the works of seminal 70's prog bands trying to negotiate the late 70's/early 80's transition, with mixed results but not without merit.  The Final Cut was around the same time but had very different circumstances.

The Flower Kings weren't even formed until over a decade later, so such a comparison isn't just unfair, it's stupid.  The Flower Kings never had to navigate such a radical change in the both popular musical trends and the music industry overall.  They got to come in after the dust had settled and do their thing the way they like.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1454 on: October 10, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »
After digging through the first 2 Transatlantic albums, I gave Kaipa's first album a listen yesterday. Hadn't listened to it in years, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I remember liking it the first few times I listened to it. First off, I noticed Roine's guitar work a lot more. I recall my earlier listens always thinking "where's Roine?", now, not only can I hear him better, I can already hear the "Stoltisms" in his playing style. It's already there. Plus, it's a pretty good 70s prog rock album, especially good for a debut album. Very cool experience. I'm going to go through the rest of those 70s Kaipa albums.

Roine already had ideas of his own, it's nice to hear him in such an earlier era, kind of throws off the "retro prog" label his music gets. If anything Roine Stolt belongs to that 2nd wave of 1st generation prog rock acts not unlike bands like Camel, Rush, Utopia, etc...

Offline HOF

« Reply #1455 on: October 10, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
After digging through the first 2 Transatlantic albums, I gave Kaipa's first album a listen yesterday. Hadn't listened to it in years, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I remember liking it the first few times I listened to it. First off, I noticed Roine's guitar work a lot more. I recall my earlier listens always thinking "where's Roine?", now, not only can I hear him better, I can already hear the "Stoltisms" in his playing style. It's already there. Plus, it's a pretty good 70s prog rock album, especially good for a debut album. Very cool experience. I'm going to go through the rest of those 70s Kaipa albums. Roine already had ideas of his own, it's nice to hear him in such an earlier era, kind of throws off the "3rd wave/retro prog" label his music gets. If anything Roine Stolt belongs to that 2nd wave of the 1st generation prog rock not unlike bands like Camel, Rush, Utopia, etc...

The third Kaipa album (Solo) is really strong. Lots of Roine on that one. It is very Camel-ish. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1456 on: October 10, 2020, 09:55:30 AM »
After digging through the first 2 Transatlantic albums, I gave Kaipa's first album a listen yesterday. Hadn't listened to it in years, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I remember liking it the first few times I listened to it. First off, I noticed Roine's guitar work a lot more. I recall my earlier listens always thinking "where's Roine?", now, not only can I hear him better, I can already hear the "Stoltisms" in his playing style. It's already there. Plus, it's a pretty good 70s prog rock album, especially good for a debut album. Very cool experience. I'm going to go through the rest of those 70s Kaipa albums. Roine already had ideas of his own, it's nice to hear him in such an earlier era, kind of throws off the "3rd wave/retro prog" label his music gets. If anything Roine Stolt belongs to that 2nd wave of the 1st generation prog rock not unlike bands like Camel, Rush, Utopia, etc...

The third Kaipa album (Solo) is really strong. Lots of Roine on that one. It is very Camel-ish.

Solo was my favorite from the 70s albums. Looking forward to a re-listen.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1457 on: October 10, 2020, 10:04:19 AM »
Solo is outstanding and the best of the first 3 Kaipa albums, though Inget Nytt is an interesting listen because there's some familiar parts he borrowed that appear on later albums. His modern-day Kaipa albums are great too, with Keyholder being exceptionally good. I've been trying to find his Fantasia solo album but it's just nowhere to be found.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1458 on: October 10, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »
Solo is outstanding and the best of the first 3 Kaipa albums, though Inget Nytt is an interesting listen because there's some familiar parts he borrowed that appear on later albums. His modern-day Kaipa albums are great too, with Keyholder being exceptionally good. I've been trying to find his Fantasia solo album but it's just nowhere to be found.

If I'm not mistaken, lots of stuff that wound up on earlier Flower Kings albums was stuff written back in the 70s, maybe 80s? I'm not sure if I ever listened to 21st Century Kaipa albums outside of Keyholder. I haven't kept up with their recent output but I've heard good things, here and on progarchives, so they've been on my "to-do" list for a long time. I found Keyholder more dense than even TFK's denser albums.

I've had no luck finding anything with Roine's name on it from the 80s, or anything he apparently was a session musician for in the 70s/80s.
There is a single on Spotify called "Utopia" which is apparently from 1990, perhaps a couple of songs from Roine's album "The Lonely Heartbeat" from 1989? I haven't checked it out.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1459 on: October 10, 2020, 10:20:57 AM »

There’s a whole decade of music from Stolt that is unavailable as far as I know between Kaipa in the late 70s and The Flower King (basically the 80s).

There are a few things floating around YouTube from that era, like this album (and song) titled Behind the Walls.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WyhJsTYNIM

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1460 on: October 10, 2020, 11:13:04 AM »

Is it that hard to find now? I recall buying a copy on eBay about 10 years ago, only paid about $31 after shipping. I haven't listened to it much, but it was very good from what I remember. I may have to give it a fresh spin sometime soon!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1461 on: October 16, 2020, 07:11:12 AM »
New song/video, Morning News.

https://progreport.com/the-flower-kings-release-video-for-morning-news-from-upcoming-new-album-islands/

I really enjoyed that. I think this might be the first TFK album I buy on release.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1462 on: October 16, 2020, 10:40:47 AM »
New song/video, Morning News.

https://progreport.com/the-flower-kings-release-video-for-morning-news-from-upcoming-new-album-islands/

I really enjoyed that. I think this might be the first TFK album I buy on release.

Ahh, what a pleasant song! I've read a few reviews of the album this week and so far they're fairly positive! Cannot wait to hear it in a couple weeks!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1463 on: October 17, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »
I'm going to wait until the album comes out before I listen to anything. Just listened to The Flower King, the unofficial debut of the band, on this sunny fall day. One of my favorite albums of the early 90s releases, though they're all good. This album along with the first 2 TFK albums is like a trifecta of prog rock glory. It's amazing they followed those up with 2 massive double albums and then even after that with Space Revolver, any of those 6 albums could be considered the best Flower Kings album depending on when you ask me. Right now it's Roine's original The Flower King.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1464 on: October 17, 2020, 12:58:44 PM »
I'm going to wait until the album comes out before I listen to anything. Just listened to The Flower King, the unofficial debut of the band, on this sunny fall day. One of my favorite albums of the early 90s releases, though they're all good. This album along with the first 2 TFK albums is like a trifecta of prog rock glory. It's amazing they followed those up with 2 massive double albums and then even after that with Space Revolver, any of those 6 albums could be considered the best Flower Kings album depending on when you ask me. Right now it's Roine's original The Flower King.

That run of five TFK albums is pretty godly, IMO, and throwing in Stolt's TFK as well, it's shocking how much good music Roine and co. produced in those 6-7 years. I'll even say that the last five TFK albums (PH, TSONE, DOE, DR, and WFM) are all really great as well in their own ways.

I really hope TFK can keep up their steam and not succumb to yet another 5-year hiatus between pairs of albums (PH/TSONE came out in 06/07, but then BOE/DR came out in 12/13, with WFM and Islands now coming out in 19/20). I think if the pandemic continues through 2021 (which it seems like it might), maybe Roine might pump out another album by the end of 2021!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1465 on: October 17, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »

That run of five TFK albums is pretty godly, IMO, and throwing in Stolt's TFK as well, it's shocking how much good music Roine and co. produced in those 6-7 years. I'll even say that the last five TFK albums (PH, TSONE, DOE, DR, and WFM) are all really great as well in their own ways.

I really hope TFK can keep up their steam and not succumb to yet another 5-year hiatus between pairs of albums (PH/TSONE came out in 06/07, but then BOE/DR came out in 12/13, with WFM and Islands now coming out in 19/20). I think if the pandemic continues through 2021 (which it seems like it might), maybe Roine might pump out another album by the end of 2021!

-Marc.

We'll see soon enough for sure.
You can also add in Roine's Hydrophonia album with that mix of TFK albums. Instrumental TFK. Some great tunes on there.
I think The Rainmaker is the first speed bump, but there's there's still quality material there. From UTF on is another great run of albums, but it's a lot different IMO, however I sometimes think UTF is their best album. DR never did anything for me, and I haven't listened to the last album yet, so I got two new TFK albums to get into soon.

What are your opinions on the Manifesto of an Alchemist album from 2018? That one seemed like a quasi-TFK album to me as well, though I only listened to that one only 2-3 times maybe.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1466 on: October 17, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »

-Marc.

You can also add in Roine's Hydrophonia album with that mix of TFK albums. Instrumental TFK. Some great tunes on there.
I think The Rainmaker is the first speed bump, but there's there's still quality material there. From UTF on is another great run of albums, but it's a lot different IMO, however I sometimes think UTF is their best album. DR never did anything for me, and I haven't listened to the last album yet, so I got two new TFK albums to get into soon.

What are your opinions on the Manifesto of an Alchemist album from 2018? That one seemed like a quasi-TFK album to me as well, though I only listened to that one only 2-3 times maybe.

It definitely sounds like Roine just wanted to make a solo album but was probably encouraged to relate it to the Flower Kings given that it had been over five years since Desolation Rose, so he made it "Roine Stolt's The Flower King", both as a callback to his solo album The Flower King, and to bring in listeners of The Flower Kings. It kind of sits in the same sphere as that early solo album by being a Stolt solo album but also carrying those TFK-vibes. It's alright, I haven't spun it in awhile, and I enjoy WFM far more, but it wasn't awful. I definitely liked it more than The Sea Within, and maybe just as much as the Anderson/Stolt album. I think Roine definitely needed Manifesto before reforming TFK properly, as his prior projects were kind of middle-of-the-road, for me at least.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1467 on: October 18, 2020, 09:51:01 AM »
Back In The World Of Adventures, the official debut of the band, has always been one my favorite TFK albums, and my favorite of the 'first' 3 TFK albums if including Roine's TFK album. It does really pick up where The Flower King left off, but the inclusion of an actual keyboardist and bassist alongside Roine adds a lot more atmosphere to the proceedings. Roine's electric guitar tone has such a big metallic sound on these earlier releases. This is also the most rockin' album in the TFK discography IMO. Some great riffs there. The only thing missing on this album, is Hasse Froberg's vocals. I like Roine's vocals just fine, but he's the only one singing lead vocals, and this is the only TFK album like that, which is cool. I like that this band features 2 (sometimes 3) lead vocalists, though. The rest of the band is quite inspired here. Roine's solos are heartfelt, Tomas provides a great atmosphere that was lacking on "The Flower King", and the rhythm section of Michael Stolt on bass and Jamie Salazar on drums is solid. I prefer Jonas Reingold on later albums, but Michael Stolt is no slouche, he plays some of the best bass lines Ive heard from the early era of the band.
I thought I read somewhere that Michael Stolt is back on a bass on a new release by someone by I suddenly can't recall who.

It definitely sounds like Roine just wanted to make a solo album but was probably encouraged to relate it to the Flower Kings given that it had been over five years since Desolation Rose, so he made it "Roine Stolt's The Flower King", both as a callback to his solo album The Flower King, and to bring in listeners of The Flower Kings. It kind of sits in the same sphere as that early solo album by being a Stolt solo album but also carrying those TFK-vibes. It's alright, I haven't spun it in awhile, and I enjoy WFM far more, but it wasn't awful. I definitely liked it more than The Sea Within, and maybe just as much as the Anderson/Stolt album. I think Roine definitely needed Manifesto before reforming TFK properly, as his prior projects were kind of middle-of-the-road, for me at least.

-Marc.

I forgot about The Sea Within, never checked it out, wasn't impressed with the lead single. The Anderson/Stolt album is another, and is something I should check out soon, as I've been revisiting Yes' music for the first time in a long while.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1468 on: October 18, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »
Back In The World Of Adventures, the official debut of the band, has always been one my favorite TFK albums, and my favorite of the 'first' 3 TFK albums if including Roine's TFK album. It does really pick up where The Flower King left off, but the inclusion of an actual keyboardist and bassist alongside Roine adds a lot more atmosphere to the proceedings. Roine's electric guitar tone has such a big metallic sound on these earlier releases. This is also the most rockin' album in the TFK discography IMO. Some great riffs there. The only thing missing on this album, is Hasse Froberg's vocals. I like Roine's vocals just fine, but he's the only one singing lead vocals, and this is the only TFK album like that, which is cool. I like that this band features 2 (sometimes 3) lead vocalists, though. The rest of the band is quite inspired here. Roine's solos are heartfelt, Tomas provides a great atmosphere that was lacking on "The Flower King", and the rhythm section of Michael Stolt on bass and Jamie Salazar on drums is solid. I prefer Jonas Reingold on later albums, but Michael Stolt is no slouche, he plays some of the best bass lines Ive heard from the early era of the band.
I thought I read somewhere that Michael Stolt is back on a bass on a new release by someone by I suddenly can't recall who.

-Marc.

I forgot about The Sea Within, never checked it out, wasn't impressed with the lead single. The Anderson/Stolt album is another, and is something I should check out soon, as I've been revisiting Yes' music for the first time in a long while.

I didn't even think Michael played bass on the early FK albums...I always figured it was Roine in the studio but Michael live. I love the brighter production on the 90's albums. Everything felt more bombastic and happy before the tighter, boxed-in production took over from UTF onward.

-Marc.

I will never stop praising and recommending this album to new FK fans or prog fans in general. Some of the most exciting, beautiful instrumental prog I've ever heard.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1469 on: October 18, 2020, 10:25:49 AM »
I really like that one tune on Hydophonia that gives me that swashbuckling vibe.  :lol