Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 234199 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. new studio album in '19 (first since '13)!!
« Reply #1295 on: November 09, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »
I liked it a whole lot.

can't single much out.  but my first listen says this MAY BE my fav since paradox Hotel way back when.  i wasn't really into the previous 2.  and that one off Roine side project recently was pretty awful.

The 2nd disc i may never play again. just like throwaway pieces but the main first disc i REALLY enjoyed.

Throwaways? Maybe it's just me, but I *really* enjoy "We Were Always Here", and to me, sounds like the proper album closer. It's got that upbeat, hopeful sound that the band is fairly good at, and works as a way to tie-up the album, musically and lyrically. Despite the lopsided track order, the 2nd disc is definitely part of the album, and to my eyes and ears, is definitely essential, unlike the bonus discs for albums like The Rainmaker, The Sum Of No Evil, Banks Of Eden, and Desolation Rose. Even as someone who has re-ordered the tracklists for all of the TFK albums (to fit in the bonus tracks into the running order), I feel like the way WFM is presented is the proper way to listen to the album. Both the CD and the vinyl LP have the same running order, so all the songs have been placed meaningfully, at least to me.

i'll for sure play disc 2 again.  but first listen left no impression on me.

disc 1 is only getting better i'm happy to report though.

Understandable. I guess, especially since I've been listening to the album digitally and not on a physical CD yet, that I haven't really picked up on the disc-division of this double album yet. It doesn't feel as cut-and-dry as other doubles for me, even among the TFK catalog. The album's 15 tracks just run together, IMO, and if I burn the album to CD-rs for use in my car, I'll probably split the discs more evenly (as the vinyl has it). Honestly, I listen to music more often on laptops/desktops/my phone/iPod than I do with CDs (in my car), so if an album is longer than 80 minutes, I don't particularly judge it by weighing how I feel about "one disc" over "the other disc"...but that's just me. It's all one album to me, and one that is growing better and better every time I get through it, song by song! I'm definitely feeling this one more than Roine's Manifesto, or the previous two TFK albums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. new studio album in '19 (first since '13)!!
« Reply #1296 on: November 09, 2019, 09:01:36 PM »
I liked it a whole lot.

can't single much out.  but my first listen says this MAY BE my fav since paradox Hotel way back when.  i wasn't really into the previous 2. and that one off Roine side project recently was pretty awful.

The 2nd disc i may never play again. just like throwaway pieces but the main first disc i REALLY enjoyed.

I will be pleased as punch if I can one day soon say this is my favorite since Paradox Hotel, considering how much I love Banks of Eden.  :)

Offline DTA

« Reply #1297 on: November 10, 2019, 06:21:45 AM »
Am I the only one who loves Desolation Rose? Yeah it's no Stardust We Are, but the whole thing is pretty solid and the bonus tracks are possibly more interesting than the main album. Why does this thing get shit on so much? Even Roine said it was bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1298 on: November 10, 2019, 07:36:43 AM »
Am I the only one who loves Desolation Rose? Yeah it's no Stardust We Are, but the whole thing is pretty solid and the bonus tracks are possibly more interesting than the main album. Why does this thing get shit on so much? Even Roine said it was bad.

The bolded sums it up.  It's a solid record, and the bonus disc is better. 

If I am in the mood for the Flower Kings, it is by far the album I reach for the least often. 

I feel like I pick on Froberg a lot, but his vocals are a detriment on this album.  I like Tower One a lot for the most part, but every time he sings, it is cringe-worthy.  Meanwhile, the sections that Roine sings are all great.  His voice sounded more strained than normal on that record, and not in a good way.  And he sings a lot on it.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1299 on: November 10, 2019, 09:47:27 AM »

The bolded sums it up.  It's a solid record, and the bonus disc is better. 

If I am in the mood for the Flower Kings, it is by far the album I reach for the least often. 

I feel like I pick on Froberg a lot, but his vocals are a detriment on this album.  I like Tower One a lot for the most part, but every time he sings, it is cringe-worthy.  Meanwhile, the sections that Roine sings are all great.  His voice sounded more strained than normal on that record, and not in a good way.  And he sings a lot on it.

Yea After Paradox hotel.  I've been finding less Froberg goes a long way.  i've haven't really enjoyed him as much since.

I suppose that may be another plus on Miracles.  Less Froberg.  and i notice when he does sing.  he's more hoarse here.  Age of course.

and i love how they've added more instrumental work.  this album gives me a BIG old school FK's vibe.

i'm loving it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1300 on: November 10, 2019, 07:09:28 PM »

Yea After Paradox hotel.  I've been finding less Froberg goes a long way.  i've haven't really enjoyed him as much since.

I suppose that may be another plus on Miracles.  Less Froberg.  and i notice when he does sing.  he's more hoarse here.  Age of course.

and i love how they've added more instrumental work.  this album gives me a BIG old school FK's vibe.

i'm loving it.

Regarding Froberg's hoarse vocals, I noticed them right away on the chorus of Sleep with the Enemy from the new album.  Still seemed like a good song, regardless, but I couldn't help but notice.

I still need to get to a second listen, but it definitely had a bit of an old school TFK vibe. Roine's solo album last year sounded like, well, a Roine solo album, but this new one definitely sounded like a Flower Kings record.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1301 on: November 17, 2019, 03:11:39 PM »
Really liking this album, alot better than Manifesto IMO. The Bridge stands out the most so far. Not sure what to think of Spirals and Steampunk though.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1302 on: November 17, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »
Really liking this album, alot better than Manifesto IMO. The Bridge stands out the most so far. Not sure what to think of Spirals and Steampunk though.

I still can't quite remember how The Bridge goes but I remember liking it when I last listened to it. Ascending To The Stars is my favorite so far and I'm pretty sure the new keyboardist wrote that one. We Were Always Here is also great. The other ones aren't sticking yet but I like everything I've heard. Seems much more interesting and musical than Manifesto.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1303 on: November 23, 2019, 09:14:42 AM »
So far, I like the album, but it's not drawing me in to where I finish listening and immediately want to listen again, which is the feeling often I get from a new record that I really like or love.  Maybe it will be a grower in that regard. Time will tell, but so far seems a bit underwhelming considering it's been 6 years since their last proper album.  And not to beat a dead horse, but while the new keyboard player seems to do a good job, Tomas Bodin is definitely missed.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1304 on: November 23, 2019, 09:37:24 AM »
So far, I like the album, but it's not drawing me in to where I finish listening and immediately want to listen again, which is the feeling often I get from a new record that I really like or love.  Maybe it will be a grower in that regard. Time will tell, but so far seems a bit underwhelming considering it's been 6 years since their last proper album.  And not to beat a dead horse, but while the new keyboard player seems to do a good job, Tomas Bodin is definitely missed.

Tomas is missed but this album hasn't dropped off my radar yet which usually means I like it. I think the sequencing does detract a bit. There's something about 3 longer tracks in the very beginning that feel a bit daunting/off-putting (even though past albums have had had much longer tracks in the intro spot). The same thing occurs on Manifesto and really makes it harder to get into that album. Plus there's no MOMENTS that really make me take notice. I just want one of those melodies that completely overwhelm me like FK music of the past. Everything still has this subdued, mellow vibe and I miss the hippie-bombast of previous works.

Anyone care to list their top 10 FK songs? I'm in a list mood:

1. I Am The Sun
2. Stardust We Are
3. Garden Of Dreams
4. Monster Within
5. Church Of Your Heart
6. Silent Sorrow
7. Magic Pie
8. Calling Home
9. The Road Back Home
10. Theme For A Hero

4-10 are not really in order, but the first 3 are pretty much the definitive top 3.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1305 on: November 23, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »
Even though I did a list once here and put Garden of Dreams at number 1, I do feel like it's cheating since it really isn't a single song, but more of a complete work of art with many songs contained within. 

That said, the first three songs from it is my favorite piece of TFK music, so I will go that way...

1. Dawn/Simple Song/Business Vamp
2. Big Puzzle
3. I Am the Sun, part 2
4. End on a High Note
5. Stardust We Are
6. The Road Back Home
7. I Am the Sun, part 1
8. Silent Sorrow
9. What If God Is Alone?
10. Ghost of the Red Cloud

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1306 on: November 23, 2019, 10:52:36 AM »
My current top 10:

1. I Am the Sun
2. Stardust We Are
3. Garden of Dreams
4. A King's Prayer
5. Numbers
6. Painter
7. Love Supreme
8. The Truth Will Set You Free
9. Love Is the Only Answer
10. Atomic Prince/Kaleidoscope

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1307 on: November 23, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
Numbers didn't crack my top 10, but it might crack my top 20.  Great song, with three killer guitar solos. 

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1308 on: November 23, 2019, 01:31:27 PM »
I haven't bought Miracles, but I'm so glad some people here are justifying my POV that disc 2 is glorified bonus tracks, because that's what they surely are. There is absolutely NO other explanation for it. It infuriates me that IO and/or the band feel they can short-change us this way with no explanation given. That this is a bad decision (one of many IO has made since selling out to Sony) is incredibly plain and obvious for all to see, and anyone who refuses to see it is blind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1309 on: November 23, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »
No one was short-changed.  I bought it from iTunes for $11.99.  Not bad for an 85-minute album.

You say you haven't bought it yet, but have you listened to it? It doesn't sound like a single disc with leftovers thrown on a bonus disc; it sounds like an album from start to finish.  Honestly, you have pitched a fit about this from the beginning, and it sounds to me like you are just looking for anyone to agree so you can say, "See, I was right!"  Maybe just enjoy the music and stop worrying about such trivial details?  Good grief.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1310 on: November 23, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »
No one was short-changed.  I bought it from iTunes for $11.99.  Not bad for an 85-minute album.

You say you haven't bought it yet, but have you listened to it? It doesn't sound like a single disc with leftovers thrown on a bonus disc; it sounds like an album from start to finish.  Honestly, you have pitched a fit about this from the beginning, and it sounds to me like you are just looking for anyone to agree so you can say, "See, I was right!"  Maybe just enjoy the music and stop worrying about such trivial details?  Good grief.

Gotta agree with Kev here - the second disc, or the fourth side of the vinyl, sounds like a part of the album proper, and if you've heard it, you'd feel this way too. "We Were Always Here" sounds like the album closer, with "Busking At Brobank" being a cute little coda for the album. Other than being a bit lopsided on the physical CD version, the album stands as a single 85 minute piece of work to me. It's not an album with leftovers/bonus tracks in the vein of TSONE, BOE, or DR.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1311 on: November 23, 2019, 02:08:31 PM »
Nope. This is the hill I will die on. The way albums are structured on compact disc still matters immensely. I will be the last person on this goddamn planet to be using CDs. I expect the rest of you to return to the right way before too long, like you all have done with vinyl. Right idea, wrong medium.

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #1312 on: November 23, 2019, 04:25:15 PM »
My current top 10. Like the new album but nothing to put in top 10 yet.
1. The Truth Will Set You Free
2. Love is the Only Answer
3. Paradox Hotel
4. I Am the Sun
5. In the Eyes of the World
6. The Man who walked with Kings
7. Last Minute on Earth
8. Monkey Business
9. Stardust We Are
10.Monsters and Men

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1313 on: November 24, 2019, 06:40:59 AM »
Nope. This is the hill I will die on. The way albums are structured on compact disc still matters immensely. I will be the last person on this goddamn planet to be using CDs. I expect the rest of you to return to the right way before too long, like you all have done with vinyl. Right idea, wrong medium.

Who are you to tell everyone which is the right medium for music? Maybe some people like to hold a nice 30x30cm cover in their hands, instead of a 12x12cm plastic case? To each their own!

And while I agree that this album was structured in a weird way (as were the last Spock's Beard album and The Sea Within's debut), the way albums are structured in compact discs may still matter a great deal TO YOU - but it seems, it doesn't matter that much to many other people, including me.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1314 on: November 24, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
Exactly.  Heck, I agree that it is kind of strange to have the two CD's that uneven in regards to how many minutes are on each, but does it ultimately matter when it comes to the quality of the album?  Of course not.  Seems like a weird hill to die on, but I guess some like finding ways to rob themselves of music enjoyment.  :lol :lol

My current top 10. Like the new album but nothing to put in top 10 yet.
1. The Truth Will Set You Free
2. Love is the Only Answer
3. Paradox Hotel
4. I Am the Sun
5. In the Eyes of the World
6. The Man who walked with Kings
7. Last Minute on Earth
8. Monkey Business
9. Stardust We Are
10.Monsters and Men

Interesting to see Love Is the Only Answer on another top 10 list.  I like that song quite a bit, from an album that is easily one of my 2-3 least favorites, but I don't see being quite that good.  But hey, it is always cool to see these kind of lists with so many different songs making it.  Love seeing The Man Who Walked with Kings in there!  :tup :tup

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1315 on: November 24, 2019, 08:04:47 AM »
Spinning Retropolis. Along with The Rainmaker, probably the album I've listened to the least since I bought the boxset. It's a good album, but nothing on it has grabbed me as much as tracks on other albums.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1316 on: November 24, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »
Exactly.  Heck, I agree that it is kind of strange to have the two CD's that uneven in regards to how many minutes are on each, but does it ultimately matter when it comes to the quality of the album?  Of course not.  Seems like a weird hill to die on, but I guess some like finding ways to rob themselves of music enjoyment.  :lol :lol

They could've pulled a Tool and left those 2nd Disc songs as Download Only.

The Strangeness though is due to flow. Those 1st Disc songs really do flow well together. The entire album does when listened to uninterrupted.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTA

« Reply #1317 on: November 24, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
Even though I did a list once here and put Garden of Dreams at number 1, I do feel like it's cheating since it really isn't a single song, but more of a complete work of art with many songs contained within. 

That said, the first three songs from it is my favorite piece of TFK music, so I will go that way...

1. Dawn/Simple Song/Business Vamp
2. Big Puzzle
3. I Am the Sun, part 2
4. End on a High Note
5. Stardust We Are
6. The Road Back Home
7. I Am the Sun, part 1
8. Silent Sorrow
9. What If God Is Alone?
10. Ghost of the Red Cloud

No All You Can Save??? I know there's a lot of ambient/synth heavy sections but it sucks Garden never got a 100% full live performance. Same with I Am The Sun. We have a decent amount of overlap...Silent Sorrow is such an awesome song (though I was tempted to put Judas Kiss). Ghost of The Red Cloud is an oddball, but it's also a great song with a catchy chorus. Those early albums had incredible epic songs but also really catchy unique shorter songs.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1318 on: November 24, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »
My current top 10:

1. I Am the Sun
2. Stardust We Are
3. Garden of Dreams
4. A King's Prayer
5. Numbers
6. Painter
7. Love Supreme
8. The Truth Will Set You Free
9. Love Is the Only Answer
10. Atomic Prince/Kaleidoscope

Cool seeing Painter. FP Disc 2 has a lot of great tracks that really get overlooked.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1319 on: November 24, 2019, 12:52:43 PM »

1. Garden of Dreams
2. I Am The Sun
3. Devils Playground
4. Stardust We Are
5. Blue Planet
6. Eyes of the world
7. Big Puzzle
8. Monsters and Men
9. Monster within
10. Silent Sorrow

Honorable mentions to Circus Brimstone, Self-Consuming Fire, Ghost of the Red Cloud and The Judas Kiss which are all favorites as well  :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1320 on: November 24, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »

The Strangeness though is due to flow. Those 1st Disc songs really do flow well together. The entire album does when listened to uninterrupted.

Agreed.  The entire album seems to flow well (for those of us who suck and are listening to the album the wrong way :lol).

No All You Can Save??? I know there's a lot of ambient/synth heavy sections but it sucks Garden never got a 100% full live performance. Same with I Am The Sun. We have a decent amount of overlap...Silent Sorrow is such an awesome song (though I was tempted to put Judas Kiss). Ghost of The Red Cloud is an oddball, but it's also a great song with a catchy chorus. Those early albums had incredible epic songs but also really catchy unique shorter songs.

All You Can Save would probably make it if I had made the list on another day.  That is a major favorite of mine and now I want to kick myself for leaving it off. ;) :lol

Ghost of the Red Cloud and Silent Sorrow have always been favorites for me, so they will always rate very high.  :hat

FP Disc 2 has a lot of great tracks that really get overlooked.

Stupid Girl and Psycedelic Postcard are my favorites, and Deaf, Numb and Blind is outstanding as well. 

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1321 on: November 25, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »
Yeah, there are some great tracks on Flower Power Disc 2. I even enjoy the two ambient instrumentals, especially Hudson River Sirens Call 1998. The "trilogy" of Psychedelic Postcard > HRSC98 > Magic Pie is really really good!

Offline DTA

« Reply #1322 on: November 25, 2019, 10:44:54 AM »
Yeah, there are some great tracks on Flower Power Disc 2. I even enjoy the two ambient instrumentals, especially Hudson River Sirens Call 1998. The "trilogy" of Psychedelic Postcard > HRSC98 > Magic Pie is really really good!

That's a great stretch. I always forget that Psychedelic Postcard exists but it's really quite a fantastic "trip" of a song. Also, I've never timed it, but I wonder why they decided to throw Astral Dog on disc 1 instead of disc 2 (or just left it off entirely). You have this gigantic hour long epic and then an 8 minute jam session.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1323 on: November 25, 2019, 11:47:46 AM »

That's a great stretch. I always forget that Psychedelic Postcard exists but it's really quite a fantastic "trip" of a song. Also, I've never timed it, but I wonder why they decided to throw Astral Dog on disc 1 instead of disc 2 (or just left it off entirely). You have this gigantic hour long epic and then an 8 minute jam session.

Just eyeballing the track times in the Wiki article, it looks like disc 2 runs about 72-73 minutes, so that is probably why.
EDIT - Checked my files at my work computer - Disc 2's ten tracks add up to 72:50, so they would not have been able to fit the final 3 tracks of Disc 1 on there (totaling 8:47).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:01:01 PM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1324 on: November 25, 2019, 03:27:29 PM »
I wonder why they decided to throw Astral Dog on disc 1 instead of disc 2 (or just left it off entirely). You have this gigantic hour long epic and then an 8 minute jam session.

That can seem odd, but after the hour-long epic suite, Astral Dog is like this little jam tune to help you cool off and bring it down to a lighter and mellower level.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1325 on: November 26, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
Personally I take a break after Garden of Dreams. It's an extraordinary journey that one needs to step back from the player for a short period of time before tackling the rest of the album. The first time I listened all the way through, I broke it into three parts:

Part 1: Garden of Dreams (59')
Part 2: Captain Capstan thru Power of Kindness (36')
Part 3: Psychedelic Postcard thru Afterlife (43')

Offline DTA

« Reply #1326 on: November 27, 2019, 05:17:06 AM »
Personally I take a break after Garden of Dreams. It's an extraordinary journey that one needs to step back from the player for a short period of time before tackling the rest of the album. The first time I listened all the way through, I broke it into three parts:

Part 1: Garden of Dreams (59')
Part 2: Captain Capstan thru Power of Kindness (36')
Part 3: Psychedelic Postcard thru Afterlife (43')

I don't even think I listened to disc 2 until I had the album for about a month. I was so mesmerized by GoD that I just didn't have any inclination to listen to anything else.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1327 on: November 27, 2019, 07:20:42 AM »

I don't even think I listened to disc 2 until I had the album for about a month. I was so mesmerized by GoD that I just didn't have any inclination to listen to anything else.

Haha, that was me as well, although I think it was way more than a month.  I was eventually like, "hey, the second disc is pretty good, too!"  :lol

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1328 on: December 20, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »
Been on a big Flower Kings kick this week. Listened thru Back in the World of Adventures, Adam and Eve, Flower Power and this afternoon The Sum of No Evil. I'm debating between Space Revolver and The Rainmaker for this evening, and I'm veering towards the latter as it hasn't received as much attention from me as Space Revolver.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1329 on: December 20, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »
The Rainmaker is an odd one for me in that I think it is better than many do, yet it is still clearly a bottom 3 TFK release for me (although it could be promoted to 4th least best soon if the new one doesn't grab me a lot more).  Serious Dreamers is a killer tune, and I really like the acoustic section of Road to Sanctuary (it just screams Yes).