Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 233435 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. new studio album in '19 (first since '13)!!
« Reply #1260 on: October 10, 2019, 08:39:20 AM »

I think Roine dodged the Bodin question with a fair amount of skill and reason. As he said, they've been through their share of drummers over the years, and no one batted an eyelid. Band members come and go, even seemingly-established members.

Tomas Bodin is the only other person besides Roine Stolt who has been a full-fledged member of the Flower Kings on every album prior to the forthcoming one (unless you want to call Forberg who has been on every album as well, but was a part-timer at best on the first few albums), so the drummers that have come and gone are not fair comparisons.  It is naive for Roine, or anyone else, to talk like Bodin hasn't been the 2nd most important member when it comes to the band's sound.  I suspect Roine actually does know this, but he has to put a happy face on it publicly now, which I get.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. new studio album in '19 (first since '13)!!
« Reply #1261 on: October 10, 2019, 12:16:29 PM »
Great interview and all, but what on earth is Pale Rider? There's no mention of that, other than in the url and in Ministro's post above.

Pale Rider has been Roine's social media handle for nearly a decade, I believe, since the Whirlwind Tour. It's from the lyrics of "A Man Can Feel", which I'm pretty sure he wrote, from The Whirlwind album.

-Marc.

This!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1262 on: October 11, 2019, 09:58:46 AM »
Ah, the problems and misunderstandings that come with copy-pasting your DTF posts from presumably-Facebook.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1263 on: October 12, 2019, 10:17:09 AM »
"Miracles For America" dropped online yesterday. I'm currently at work as I just find out about it, so I can't really listen right now, but the first minute or so sounded good!

https://youtu.be/vTcAXEb6amE

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1264 on: October 12, 2019, 12:44:04 PM »
I haven't listened properly, but again it sounds very much like classic Flower Kings, to me at least.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: October 12, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »
I haven't listened properly, but again it sounds very much like classic Flower Kings, to me at least.

The entire album does

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1266 on: October 14, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »
Good to hear, I guess. I don't think this will be a release day purchase for me. I've kinda OD'd on Flower Kings over the last 20 months or so, with picking up pretty much their entire discography. That and the fact I'll be spending the week following the release watching a charity marathon.

Offline majo

« Reply #1267 on: October 15, 2019, 07:22:10 AM »
Miracles for America is an awesome track.
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: October 22, 2019, 08:37:49 AM »
Progressive rock legends THE FLOWER KINGS are due to hit the road in December in support of their latest album ‘Waiting For Miracles’ (out November 8th, 2019), and unfortunately touring partners Kayak have been forced to drop out of the tour due to unexpected health issues. Joining the tour as replacements will be Russian chamber prog band Iamthemorning who recently released their new studio album, as well as Rikard Sjöblom – known for his work in Beardfish, Gungfly & Big Big Train.

Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings comments:
“We bring news regarding the upcoming Flower Kings tour of December - the Dutch classic band Kayak, who was initially to be our touring partner has had to pull out, due to serious and unexpected medical conditions of main guy Ton Scherpenzeel.  We are all sad about this but wish for a speedy recovery and perhaps another chance to share the stage later on. 

The brighter news is that we’ve managed to get the brilliant band Iamthemorning, singer Marjana Semkina and pianist Gleb Kolyadin & band, to join us in a package show that will also include a set from genius Rikard Sjöblom (Big Big Train, Beardfish). We will all play our separate sets - but there will likely be guesting and as usual the grand finale is not to be missed! We’re really looking forward to a great evening of expanding, young, vibrant ‘prog’ music. New songs from The Flower Kings brand new double album ‘Waiting For Miracles’ and bundles of classic Flower Kings and beautiful and groovy music from our new guests.”

The three acts will perform 12 dates across 6 countries, and you can find the full list of shows below, tickets on sale now:
1st December – Bahnhof Pauli, Hamburg, Germany
2nd December – Musik Zentrum, Hannover, Germany
3rd December – OK Andaluzia, Piekary Slaskie, Poland
4th December – Klub U Bazyla, Poznan, Poland
6th December – Burgerweeshuis, Deventer, Netherlands
7th December – De Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Netherlands
8th December – Scala, London, UK
9th December – Piano, Dortmund, Germany
10th December – Columbia Theater, Berlin, Germany
11th December – Amager Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark
12th December – Brewhouse, Gothenburg, Sweden
14th December – Kraken, Stockholm, Sweden

As mentioned previously, ‘Waiting For Miracles’ is due out on November 8th, 2019. The album is comprised of 15 new tracks, recorded over the summer at RMV studio in Stockholm, Sweden – a vintage studio space owned by ABBA star Benny Andersson.

The band, currently comprised of Roine Stolt, Jonas Reingold, Hasse Fröberg, Zach Kamins & Mirko DeMaio (the most recent live line-up), have crafted an adventurous collection of pure prog-rock. Expect boat-loads of vintage keyboards, odd time signatures and long guitar solos – with elements of pop, symphonic and cinematic music.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: October 22, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »
Good that it's posted.... was coming here for that

Praying for a full recovery for Ton Scherpenzeel.

Love that we will get both iamthemorning and Rickard Sjöblom

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1270 on: October 22, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
https://progreport.com/the-flower-kings-waiting-for-miracles-album-review/

The Prog Report posted one of the first reviews of WFM a couple days ago. Sounds promising, but it didn't really answer my question as to why the album is cut across its two discs the way it is. Has anyone asked Roine about that yet? :lol

Anyways, just a couple more weeks til it comes out, and I'm kind of excited, but it's been a HUGE year for prog music that I love - Neal Morse Band, Dream Theater, Big Big Train, Flying Colors, and many more, with TFK and No-Man coming out next month. It's been hard to keep up with really give each album the time they deserve, but many of them haven't disappointed me, so I'm hopeful that the new TFK brings me back to the TFK sounds that really move me!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: October 24, 2019, 05:48:17 AM »
Why did I not notice this little snippet in Roines announcement above?

-------
We will all play our separate sets - but there will likely be guesting and as usual the grand finale is not to be missed!
-------

This could be very interresting....

How about Roine Stolt guesting on Lighthouse by iamthemorning  singing Mariusz Dudas parts.
Gleb guesting on one song in Rickard Sjöbloms set.
Rickard Sjöblom guesting with The Flower Kings on a song.

Last year when TFK and Spock's Beard toured they did a grand finale with everyone on stage doing Hey Jude. A nice way to end the evening and a good way to get to thank all artists at the end.
Hopefully something like that this tour too.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1272 on: October 24, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
The Prog Report posted one of the first reviews of WFM a couple days ago. Sounds promising, but it didn't really answer my question as to why the album is cut across its two discs the way it is. Has anyone asked Roine about that yet? :lol

It is so frustrating that no one has answered this question. They don't want to use the term "Bonus Disc" or "Bonus EP", but if they did this would be a more palatable decision to me. Instead it's left me confused. If they trust the Disc 2 songs enough to be part of the main album they should have split the album more evenly between the discs.

Offline 425

« Reply #1273 on: October 24, 2019, 04:34:47 PM »
I'm not asking this to be confrontational; I'm genuinely curious: Why does it matter whether or not the album is split evenly across the two discs?
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1274 on: October 24, 2019, 04:35:56 PM »
I'm not asking this to be confrontational; I'm genuinely curious: Why does it matter whether or not the album is split evenly across the two discs?

Short answer: it doesn't.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:10:50 PM by KevShmev »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1275 on: October 24, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »

Shot answer: it doesn't.

It really doesn't, but I am curious as to Roine's reasoning. It would be like front-loading the first disc of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway with the first 3 sides of the vinyl, with side 4 being the only tracks on CD 2.

It's a weird choice, but I have to think that it was done deliberately and that those final few songs (on disc 2/side 4 of the vinyl) are NOT bonus tracks (because of the obvious reprisal nature of the first track on disc 2). I haven't read it anywhere yet, but I suspect the tracks on disc 2 are a mini-suite/epic with tracks that run together, or at very least, form a cohesive musical piece that warrants their separation from the songs before it in the running order.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1276 on: October 24, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
So few people buy physical CD's anymore, so the two discs being lopsided like that won't matter to most, I suspect.  PT did the same thing with The Incident - Disc 1 was much longer than Disc 2 - and it wasn't a big deal then either.

I am curious to hear what this album, with the new lineup, will sound like.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1277 on: October 24, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »
So few people buy physical CD's anymore, so the two discs being lopsided like that won't matter to most, I suspect.  PT did the same thing with The Incident - Disc 1 was much longer than Disc 2 - and it wasn't a big deal then either.

I am curious to hear what this album, with the new lineup, will sound like.

In the case of PT's The Incident, the separation was due to the song cycle concept of disc 1 needing to stand apart from the other unrelated songs on Disc 2. Otherwise, all of the material would have easily fit onto one CD. At least Steven was upfront about the separation and why the other four songs were on the second disc. With Roine and this new TFK album, there haven't been any such declarations, but as you say, with the decline of CD sales these days, the separation doesn't make a difference (which, in that case, why separate it like they did to begin with? :lol )

Either way, if anyone does buy it physically, they'll likely get the vinyl, which makes the CD track order moot. It's just an odd curiosity is all, at least to me.  :tup

As for the new line-up, the previewed tracks that have been released sound really good to my ears. Quite a departure from the last two TFK albums and Roine's MOAA (which may retroactively become a TFK album anyway). I am more excited for this album than I probably should be, so I hope it doesn't disappoint!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1278 on: October 28, 2019, 01:54:08 PM »
I'm sick and tired of people telling me or implying that things don't matter, or that my concerns are irrelevant. The vast majority of albums of this sort of length are split better than this one, and people (the band included, so it seems) are acting like this is normal, or something we won't notice?! IT'S NOT! It flies right in the face of the way music has been made over the last 35 years or so.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1280 on: October 30, 2019, 04:15:39 PM »
Album review:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/the-flower-kings-waiting-for-miracles/

Saw this posted on Facebook, and asked the question about the lopsided track order, because Scott's review referred to Disc 1 as "the main disc" and Disc 2 as "an afterthought". I had said I didn't think it was meant to be a "bonus disc" because of the obvious opening track reprise, which seems odd to include as a "bonus disc" track when it recalls an earlier theme, as well as other themes, both musically and lyrically, returning for the second disc. Either way, it's an interesting way to split it.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1281 on: October 31, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »
I don't think the reprise is enough reason on its own to justify calling disc two part of the main album. They could have decided the reprise is not worthy of main-album inclusion and just tacked it onto the bonus disc alongside other afterthoughts.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1282 on: October 31, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
My rebuttal to that is that Roine has referred to the album as their "new double album", which, to me, suggests that he intends the 2nd disc to be an actual part of the album. I don't believe he ever referred to The Sum Of No Evil or Desolation Road as double albums, despite having bonus disc editions.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1283 on: November 01, 2019, 08:21:10 AM »
My rebuttal to that is that Roine has referred to the album as their "new double album", which, to me, suggests that he intends the 2nd disc to be an actual part of the album.

-Marc.

Did he, or did the label? I feel like InsideOut have been interfering with bands and album structure a lot lately. If Roine's to be believed, it was the label's idea to credit Manifesto of an Alchemist to "Roine Stolt's The Flower King", and it was the label's idea to tack on what are essentially bonus EPs to both The Sea Within's self-titled, and Spock's Beard's Noise Floor. If Roine did say that disc 2 is part of the main album, I feel like it's more to toe the party line, so to speak.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1284 on: November 01, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »
I'll make my judgement of the 2 disc split whenever I hear the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1285 on: November 01, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »
My rebuttal to that is that Roine has referred to the album as their "new double album", which, to me, suggests that he intends the 2nd disc to be an actual part of the album.

-Marc.

Did he, or did the label? I feel like InsideOut have been interfering with bands and album structure a lot lately. If Roine's to be believed, it was the label's idea to credit Manifesto of an Alchemist to "Roine Stolt's The Flower King", and it was the label's idea to tack on what are essentially bonus EPs to both The Sea Within's self-titled, and Spock's Beard's Noise Floor. If Roine did say that disc 2 is part of the main album, I feel like it's more to toe the party line, so to speak.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3008341105849996&id=100000224097006

But who knows, if the label sorted the tracks, they're also responsible for calling it a double album. Either way, Roine's website and the press releases say it's a double album, which says to me it's all part of the main album.

-Marc.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1286 on: November 08, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »
I'm liking this so far  :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1287 on: November 08, 2019, 10:17:20 AM »
It's release day, and I can say that I have been listening to the album off and on over the last week or so, and I really REALLY enjoy it. It's a pretty good album, overall, and there are a lot of musical and lyrical themes and motifs throughout that take repeated listens to really catch. The "epics" are easily highlights, but the closing (full) song, "We Were Always Here", is one of my favorites. It's got a very classic-TFK sound and really works as a closing number, and a statement by the band that, while they hadn't put an album out since 2013, the bandmembers were still making music (well, most of them), and that the band hadn't really truly disappeared (yet).

The Flower Kings had a pretty solid streak of releases from 95 to 07, but following a five year break, they took a turn for some deeper, heavier and darker material in 2012 and 2013, which definitely took some getting used to, but now the band is back with a bit more of a flowery sound. The only thing missing from this album that would really give it the Pre-Rainmaker feel would be some saxophone, which I don't recall hearing any of on the album. I kind of miss hearing Ulf Wallander's sax on TFK albums, but ever since Paradox Hotel, the band seem content to being a five-piece band, both live and in the studio, so who am I to stop them?

I think this one will hold up to the rest of the band's catalog fairly well, and I'm sure I'll be spinning it for the rest of the year and into 2020. At about 85 minutes, it's not overly long as they have given us just enough new material to feel satisfied until their next release, which I hope will be 2020 or 2021! After all, their previous 4 albums were all released in pairs of back-to-back years (06-07, and 12-13), so maybe after hitting the road, they may get inspired to hit the studio again early next year, especially since after the last tour, the band felt inspired to hop into the studio to record with the new lineup as soon as they could.

-Marc.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1288 on: November 09, 2019, 04:18:22 AM »
First listen through is actually positive. I'm going to withhold judgment until I listen through 5+ times but everything seems to be working pretty well on this one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1289 on: November 09, 2019, 07:57:30 AM »
After one listen, I like it, but time will tell how much.  I do like how there is a lot of instrumental stuff, and when there is singing, it seems like Roine is taking the lead the vast majority of the time, and that is always good, IMO.  None of the vocal melodies, however, really grabbed me and stayed stuck in my head, but it could just be a grower.  More listens to come...

Offline DTA

« Reply #1290 on: November 09, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »

The Flower Kings had a pretty solid streak of releases from 95 to 07, but following a five year break, they took a turn for some deeper, heavier and darker material in 2012 and 2013, which definitely took some getting used to, but now the band is back with a bit more of a flowery sound. The only thing missing from this album that would really give it the Pre-Rainmaker feel would be some saxophone, which I don't recall hearing any of on the album. I kind of miss hearing Ulf Wallander's sax on TFK albums, but ever since Paradox Hotel, the band seem content to being a five-piece band, both live and in the studio, so who am I to stop them?

This is a huge thing that's missing. I used to love the vibe that those sax parts gave the music, and combined with an abundance of keyboards, it really was a unique sound they carved out. Without the sax and layers of keys, they kind of just feel like a normal prog-rock band now. Not necessarily a bad thing, but their identity was in a lot of those types of details.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1291 on: November 09, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »
I liked it a whole lot.

can't single much out.  but my first listen says this MAY BE my fav since paradox Hotel way back when.  i wasn't really into the previous 2.  and that one off Roine side project recently was pretty awful.

The 2nd disc i may never play again. just like throwaway pieces but the main first disc i REALLY enjoyed.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1292 on: November 09, 2019, 11:49:24 AM »
I liked it a whole lot.

can't single much out.  but my first listen says this MAY BE my fav since paradox Hotel way back when.  i wasn't really into the previous 2.  and that one off Roine side project recently was pretty awful.

The 2nd disc i may never play again. just like throwaway pieces but the main first disc i REALLY enjoyed.

Throwaways? Maybe it's just me, but I *really* enjoy "We Were Always Here", and to me, sounds like the proper album closer. It's got that upbeat, hopeful sound that the band is fairly good at, and works as a way to tie-up the album, musically and lyrically. Despite the lopsided track order, the 2nd disc is definitely part of the album, and to my eyes and ears, is definitely essential, unlike the bonus discs for albums like The Rainmaker, The Sum Of No Evil, Banks Of Eden, and Desolation Rose. Even as someone who has re-ordered the tracklists for all of the TFK albums (to fit in the bonus tracks into the running order), I feel like the way WFM is presented is the proper way to listen to the album. Both the CD and the vinyl LP have the same running order, so all the songs have been placed meaningfully, at least to me.

This is a huge thing that's missing. I used to love the vibe that those sax parts gave the music, and combined with an abundance of keyboards, it really was a unique sound they carved out. Without the sax and layers of keys, they kind of just feel like a normal prog-rock band now. Not necessarily a bad thing, but their identity was in a lot of those types of details.

The keys have been a mixed bag for me on this record, but I don't dislike what I've been hearing, I just wish I heard more of them. As for sax, it seems like there wasn't any on the band's previous two albums, so Ulf hasn't been featured on a TFK album since 2007's The Sum Of No Evil. I guess I've listened to BOE and DR so little over the last 5 years that I haven't picked up on the fact that there was a lack of saxophone! :facepalm: :lol

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1293 on: November 09, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
I gotta say, I have had this album for weeks now and not once have I managed to listen through the whole thing...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #1294 on: November 09, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
I liked it a whole lot.

Throwaways? Maybe it's just me, but I *really* enjoy "We Were Always Here", and to me, sounds like the proper album closer. It's got that upbeat, hopeful sound that the band is fairly good at, and works as a way to tie-up the album, musically and lyrically. Despite the lopsided track order, the 2nd disc is definitely part of the album, and to my eyes and ears, is definitely essential, unlike the bonus discs for albums like The Rainmaker, The Sum Of No Evil, Banks Of Eden, and Desolation Rose. Even as someone who has re-ordered the tracklists for all of the TFK albums (to fit in the bonus tracks into the running order), I feel like the way WFM is presented is the proper way to listen to the album. Both the CD and the vinyl LP have the same running order, so all the songs have been placed meaningfully, at least to me.

The keys have been a mixed bag for me on this record, but I don't dislike what I've been hearing, I just wish I heard more of them. As for sax, it seems like there wasn't any on the band's previous two albums, so Ulf hasn't been featured on a TFK album since 2007's The Sum Of No Evil. I guess I've listened to BOE and DR so little over the last 5 years that I haven't picked up on the fact that there was a lack of saxophone! :facepalm: :lol

-Marc.

i'll for sure play disc 2 again.  but first listen left no impression on me.

disc 1 is only getting better i'm happy to report though.