Author Topic: Flower Kings Official Thread  (Read 234289 times)

Offline The Letter M

Agreed.  Someone should say something!

In other news, I'm currently listening to a playlist of all The Flower Kings I have on my PC.  22:21:55.  There's some live stuff in there, but even so, these guys have an insane amount of material.  I'm trying to think of any other band in any genre that has as much studio material as The Flower Kings.

Before their 5-year hiatus (after TSONE), they had released over 18 hours of studio material across 10 albums and various other releases, in the span of only 12 years. That's an average of 90 minutes of music per year, which is INSANELY prolific. Roine, Tomas, Hasse, and everyone else they brought in (and out of) the band definitely pulled out all the stops when it came to writing. It was a renaissance for Stolt, IMO, and his work since 2007 has been hit-and-miss. I wasn't originally impressed with Banks Of Eden or Desolation Rose, but I grew to love them over time. As previously stated, since then, his work hasn't done much to wow me, but I hope this new album will change my mind about him. Even his stuff on Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope wasn't very outstanding - it suited the album, sure, but the most I can recall are the solo section to "Shine" and the distinctly Stolt-y parts of the title track.

As for other bands in any genre that have as much studio material - doesn't Hawkwind have an insane number of albums? Granted, even if it comes close to 22 hours of music, it would be over a much longer period of time. It will always astound me that TFK put out 18+ hours of music in 12 years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

You can also include Hydrophonia which is basically a lost FK instrumental album and Wall Street Voodoo which, though not really prog,I find to be pretty high quality despite being bloated.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
I will be a little disappointed if the band does not say anything about why Tomas Bodin is not on this album.   This will be their 13th studio album, and when a guy who was on the first 12 is not on the 13th, I don't think it's unfair to get some type of statement or explanation.

Why? They don't owe us one. It's like Portnoy. Bodin's gone, get over it, move on. One man does not make a band, no matter how significant to their sound he is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I wasn't originally impressed with Banks Of Eden or Desolation Rose, but I grew to love them over time. 

I was really high on Banks of Eden from the start, and time has been really kind to that record.

On the other hand, Desolation Rose has gone the other way. Granted, it was never in the "I love it" category, but while it has a lot of great moments, some of the melodies seem a bit clunky or just a bit off.  I can't put my finger on what it is, but I have never hidden the fact that I greatly prefer Roine as a singer over Hasse, and the latter sings a lot on this record, so maybe that is part of it.  The instrumental tracks from the bonus disc are really the only songs I go back to anymore from this record.

Offline goo-goo

@KevShmev

I actually prefer Hasse's voice. Became (or I am) a HUGE fan of his band Hasse Froberg and the Musical Companion. I do tend to like raspy singers like John Wesley and John Mitchell, and Hasse definitely falls down in this category.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Agreed.  Someone should say something!

In other news, I'm currently listening to a playlist of all The Flower Kings I have on my PC.  22:21:55.  There's some live stuff in there, but even so, these guys have an insane amount of material.  I'm trying to think of any other band in any genre that has as much studio material as The Flower Kings.

Before their 5-year hiatus (after TSONE), they had released over 18 hours of studio material across 10 albums and various other releases, in the span of only 12 years. That's an average of 90 minutes of music per year, which is INSANELY prolific. Roine, Tomas, Hasse, and everyone else they brought in (and out of) the band definitely pulled out all the stops when it came to writing. It was a renaissance for Stolt, IMO, and his work since 2007 has been hit-and-miss. I wasn't originally impressed with Banks Of Eden or Desolation Rose, but I grew to love them over time. As previously stated, since then, his work hasn't done much to wow me, but I hope this new album will change my mind about him. Even his stuff on Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope wasn't very outstanding - it suited the album, sure, but the most I can recall are the solo section to "Shine" and the distinctly Stolt-y parts of the title track.

As for other bands in any genre that have as much studio material - doesn't Hawkwind have an insane number of albums? Granted, even if it comes close to 22 hours of music, it would be over a much longer period of time. It will always astound me that TFK put out 18+ hours of music in 12 years.

-Marc.

I realized that I also have Roine solo albums and related (such as Anderson/Stolt) in this same playlist, so it's not just Flower Kings.  But it's still pretty nuts how much there is, and yeah, most of it is from the original 12-year run.

I'd heard a lot about Hawkwind and checked them out a few years back.  I thought they were okay, but honestly nothing super-exciting.  Maybe I need to let them grow on me a bit.  Or maybe because there's so much of it, I just didn't happen to hit the ones that would grab me better.  I suppose if I end up really getting into them, then I'd have a lot to get into, which would be cool.

Offline The Letter M

I realized that I also have Roine solo albums and related (such as Anderson/Stolt) in this same playlist, so it's not just Flower Kings.  But it's still pretty nuts how much there is, and yeah, most of it is from the original 12-year run.

Ahh okay, yeah, if you add in albums like The Flower Kings, Hydrophonia, Wall Street Voodoo, and other TFK-related albums/projects like 3rd World Electric, then you'd get a much longer playlist. Without them, you still get 10 TFK albums over 12 years with over 18 hours of music, which is mind-blowing when you think about how many other albums/bands Roine, Jonas, Hasse, and other TFK members were all a part of. They were the Yes of the 90's/00's prog scene in that sense - a sprawling family of proggers that branched out and created a tapestry of (mostly) Swedish symphonic prog goodness!

I'd heard a lot about Hawkwind and checked them out a few years back.  I thought they were okay, but honestly nothing super-exciting.  Maybe I need to let them grow on me a bit.  Or maybe because there's so much of it, I just didn't happen to hit the ones that would grab me better.  I suppose if I end up really getting into them, then I'd have a lot to get into, which would be cool.

My only inclination to EVER check out Hawkwind was their apparent influence on Arjen and his works, but I've never taken the time to get into them. Space rock just doesn't seem up my alley, but I could always change my mind later. And to be honest, the sheer amount of albums has kind of scared me into wanting to check them out as well - it seems daunting to want to get into them at first!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:16:35 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
@KevShmev

I actually prefer Hasse's voice. Became (or I am) a HUGE fan of his band Hasse Froberg and the Musical Companion. I do tend to like raspy singers like John Wesley and John Mitchell, and Hasse definitely falls down in this category.

Understand.  There is just a certain tone he often hits that makes me wince. 

Offline RoeDent

I enjoy both Roine and Hasse on vocals. Hasse adds a lot of power to TFK's vocals, and while Roine is a more than capable vocalist, he seems to struggle with high parts or parts that require some gusto. If you listen to There's No Such Night from Garden of Dreams, he audibly struggles on the high parts, at least to start with. And again on The Final Deal, when he reaches the climax of that part ("As we sail the sky") his voice breaks audibly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I actually like that aspect of Roine's singing, especially in The Final Deal.  I get goosebumps every time I listen to The Final Deal, in large part thanks to his vocals.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. Manifesto of an Alchemist coming
« Reply #1235 on: September 06, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/84014399944/posts/10151758339464945/

August 30: Hasse Fröberg & Musical Companion - Parallel Life

On Friday the 30th of August HFMC will release their fourth and long-awaited studio album 'Parallel Life'. The album has been recorded at Soundfront Productions. Pre-orders from 28/6 2019

Produced by: Hasse Fröberg and Kjell Sandberg
Sound engineers: Kjell Sandberg and Bosse Lindmark
Artwork by: Ed Unitsky - www.facebook.com/Ed.Unitsky.fanpage
Photos by: Tallee Savage - www.savagebeauty.se
Label: GlassVille Records

Tracks:
1. Parallel Life – 22:32 (Music: Fröberg/Strandberg/Haraldsson Lyrics: Fröberg)
  I. A prophet's escape
  II. To change
  III. You and life
  IV. Hand to the sky
  V. An otherworldly purpose
  VI. A choice moment
2. Sleeping with the ghost – 05:27 (Music: Fröberg Lyrics: Fröberg)
3. Time waits – 09:56 (Music: Strandberg Lyrics: Strandberg)
4. All those faces – 04:46 (Music: Fröberg Lyrics: Fröberg)
5. Rain – 09:05 (Music: Fröberg Lyrics: Fröberg)
6. Friday – 05:40 (Music: Fröberg Lyrics: Fröberg)
7. Never alone – 08:20 (Music: Fröberg Lyrics: Fröberg)

I really enjoyed the first three albums so I'm excited to see them make another album!

-Marc.

It has been about 3 months since I posted about the next HFMC album, and while it was delayed a couple of weeks, the release is upon us! The album drops next Thursday, September 12th, and I'm looking forward to it! I finally managed to pre-order it after I saw so many fans on Facebook receiving their copies early, so I hope mine comes in before the 12th. If not, I'll get my digital download from the bandcamp page I ordered the CD from. The purchase gave me one early song to download but I've avoided listening to it as I want to wait until I can hear the whole thing.

Hopefully the new TFK album doesn't overshadow this one, especially since it seems initial reactions and reviews have been pretty positive so far! Either way, it's a good time to be a Flower Kings fan with new Hasse and Roine stuff coming out!

-Marc.

Offline DTA

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. new studio album in '19 (first since '13)!!
« Reply #1236 on: September 08, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
Listened to Space Revolver today on a long car ride. What a brilliant album. I always ignored You Don't Know What You've Got but it's really a great catchy pop song (same with Magic Pie even though the middle goes off into prog-rock territory). I think what Roine's music is missing nowadays is layers and layers of keyboards and acoustic guitar arpeggios playing supporting melodies in the background. There's so many moments in older FK music where there's subtle guitar/synth parts in the background that just fill the spectrum so well. Now his production style is so dry, it sounds like exactly what the live band consists of...1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drummer, 1 keyboardist, 2 singers. Maybe he wants to reproduce new music accurately live so he's limiting extraneous instrumentation, but I think the album as a product suffers as a result.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Flower Kings Official Thread - v. new studio album in '19 (first since '13)!!
« Reply #1237 on: September 08, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »
Listened to Space Revolver today on a long car ride. What a brilliant album. I always ignored You Don't Know What You've Got but it's really a great catchy pop song (same with Magic Pie even though the middle goes off into prog-rock territory). I think what Roine's music is missing nowadays is layers and layers of keyboards and acoustic guitar arpeggios playing supporting melodies in the background. There's so many moments in older FK music where there's subtle guitar/synth parts in the background that just fill the spectrum so well. Now his production style is so dry, it sounds like exactly what the live band consists of...1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drummer, 1 keyboardist, 2 singers. Maybe he wants to reproduce new music accurately live so he's limiting extraneous instrumentation, but I think the album as a product suffers as a result.

Well, the new album promises lots of keyboards, so I'm hopeful we get that sound again. The thicker instrumentations are why I also really love the Meet The Flower Kings live album, when they had a whooping SEVEN members playing live, with Daniel helping to fill in a lot of guitars, keys, percussion and vocals. That live version of the band feels SO full, maybe even TOO full at times, but it's a nice dense sound that works well for their material.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1238 on: September 08, 2019, 02:31:22 PM »

I know what you mean.  I love the production of the earlier Flower Kings albums, where there is so much space for each instrument, and there are so many little soft touches and fills from various instruments.  The overall sound is very spacious.

And hell yeah to Space Revolver!  Great record from start to finish.  I go back and forth between what I think their best single album is, between that one and Retropolis.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1239 on: September 10, 2019, 09:46:14 AM »
@KevShmev

Understand.  There is just a certain tone he often hits that makes me wince.

When he tries to go for the high notes, he struggles and strains quite a bit.

Anyways, I got the new Hasse CD and it's pretty cool. Still think their 1st two albums are the best. The epic song doesn't quite do it for me. Hopefully it will grow on me. The shorter songs are very strong and have very memorable melodies. Top notch playing by everyone.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1240 on: September 11, 2019, 03:58:18 PM »
Because Sweden is about 10 hours ahead, the new HFMC album dropped on bandcamp digitally, so I've had a chance to listen to a bit of it, and it sounds REALLY good. Exactly what I expected from this band, though I am sad that they broke the pattern of having 9 tracks on each album! Despite that, we get a side-length epic opening song, which is has a lot of good stuff.

I haven't had a chance to really digest the whole album yet, but I am digging what I've (casually) heard so far. This will surely tide me over until the next TFK album (a phrase I didn't think I'd utter ever again), and so far, it's a great addition to the HFMC catalog!

-Marc.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1241 on: September 11, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
Maybe I'll check that album out. I'm in a prog rock mood and really haven't checked out anything new in that genre since Southern Empire last year.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: September 13, 2019, 06:45:08 AM »
Progressive rock legends The Flower Kings are pleased to present a first track from the group’s much anticipated new studio double-album ‘Waiting For Miracles’, which will be released on InsideOutMusic on the 8th November 2019. The album is comprised of 15 new tracks, recorded over the summer at RMV studio in Stockholm, Sweden – a vintage studio space owned by ABBA star Benny Andersson.

Listen to ‘Black Flag’ here:
Spotify - http://bit.ly/TFKBlackFlagSpotify
Apple Music - https://theflowerkings.lnk.to/WaitingForMiracles/AppleMusic 
Deezer: http://bit.ly/TFKBlackFlagDeezer

Furthermore, presales for physical and digital formats have started! “Waiting For Miracles” is available as 2CD, Gatefold 2LP + 2CD & as digital album. Order your format of choice below:
https://theflowerkings.lnk.to/WaitingForMiracles

The following limited vinyl editions can be pre-ordered now, too:
200x light-blue plus signed post card @ Burning Shed UK http://bit.ly/TFKBurningShed
100x orange & 200x red @ InsideOut Shop Germany http://bit.ly/TFK-IOMShop
100x yellow @ JustForKicks Germany http://bit.ly/TFK_JFK

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1243 on: September 13, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
Looking at the tracklist, seems the album is a scant 83:33, their shortest double album to date. The second disc is only 21:13 as well, so I wonder if those 5 tracks are part of a suite that forms an epic? Otherwise, why not split the album more evenly into 41-ish minutes each disc?

CD1

1. House Of Cards 1:55
2. Black Flag 7:37
3. Miracles For America 9:54
4. Vertigo 10:02
5. The Bridge 5:17
6. Ascending To The Stars 5:32
7. Wicked Old Symphony 5:39
8. The Rebel Circus 5:45
9. Sleep With The Enemy 5:48
10. The Crowning Of Greed 4:51

CD 2

1. House Of Cards Reprise 1:20
2. Spirals 5:04
3. Steampunk 6:21
4. We Were Always Here 7:36
5. Busking At Brobank 0:52

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1244 on: September 13, 2019, 09:36:59 AM »
Disc 2 has to be bonus tracks. Even if the Disc 2 tracks do make up an "epic" (which I doubt, cos why not make it one track like almost every other TFK epic, save Garden of Dreams and I Am the Sun), you'd expect the discs to be more evenly split. It's not the first time InsideOut have done this.

Disc 1 is still plenty of length for a main album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1245 on: September 13, 2019, 12:21:21 PM »
I doubt that they're bonus tracks as I haven't seen any where stating that disc 2 isn't a part of the main album. I'm sure it's part of the main album considering the first track of disc 2 is a reprise of the first song of the album.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1246 on: September 13, 2019, 02:53:39 PM »
Why the hell is the album split like that then?! It's horrible! Why not have 6 tracks on disc 1 and the remaining 9 on disc 2? Unless there's a 1, 2 or even a 3 missing from the runtime of Busking At Burbank. It's a strange title for an epic, but hey...could just be a "jam session" track like Astral Dog or Don of the Universe.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1247 on: September 13, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »
Why the hell is the album split like that then?! It's horrible! Why not have 6 tracks on disc 1 and the remaining 9 on disc 2? Unless there's a 1, 2 or even a 3 missing from the runtime of Busking At Burbank. It's a strange title for an epic, but hey...could just be a "jam session" track like Astral Dog or Don of the Universe.

The lengths seem correct. The album is on a double vinyl set, with Disc 2 taking up Side 4, and Disc 1 taking up Sides 1-3.
https://burningshed.com/the-flower-kings_waiting-for-miracles_blue-double-vinyl_2cd

A (19:26)
1. House Of Cards 1:55
2. Black Flag 7:37
3. Miracles For America 9:54

B (20:51)
1. Vertigo 10:02
2. The Bridge 5:17
3. Ascending To The Stars 5:32

C (22:03)
1. Wicked Old Symphony 5:39
2. The Rebel Circus 5:45
3. Sleep With The Enemy 5:48
4. The Crowning Of Greed 4:51

D (21:13)
1. House Of Cards Reprise 1:20
2. Spirals 5:04
3. Steampunk 6:21
4. We Were Always Here 7:36
5. Busking At Brobank 0:52

I do agree, though, that Sides 1-2 should have been Disc 1 of the CD, and Sides 3-4 should have been Disc 2, but I am sure there is some conceptual reason as to why only Side D makes up Disc 2 alone.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1248 on: September 16, 2019, 10:01:08 AM »
Wow! I'm really digging Black Flag, I gotta say! Sounds like classic Flower Kings! Complete with a wonderful Roine (I presume) guitar solo.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: October 03, 2019, 09:06:44 PM »
Guys, we are interviewig Roine tomorrow 9 am do you have questions for him?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1250 on: October 03, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »

Yes.

Why is Tomas Bodin not part of the Flower Kings anymore?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1251 on: October 03, 2019, 10:18:14 PM »

What can he tell us about the Transatlantic writing sessions? Any tentative release dates? Anything? :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DTA

« Reply #1252 on: October 04, 2019, 01:23:06 AM »
Why is I Am The Sun always played live in an edited form?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1253 on: October 04, 2019, 04:42:32 AM »
Why did he edit 6 minutes of music out of The Devil's Playground for the vinyl re-release of Unfold The Future?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1254 on: October 04, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »
Why is there only 21 minutes of music on Disc 2 of the new album? Why aren't the discs split more evenly?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: October 09, 2019, 08:43:25 AM »
Interview time:

Check out this extensive and informative feature by Scott Medina with The Flower Kings founder and Transatlantic member Pale Rider, there's a wealth of information in there about the two bands upcoming releases you certainly don't want to miss! Inside Out Music #Interview #Feature

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/interview-with-roine-pale-rider-stolt

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: October 09, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
Interview time:

Check out this extensive and informative feature by Scott Medina with The Flower Kings founder and Transatlantic member Pale Rider, there's a wealth of information in there about the two bands upcoming releases you certainly don't want to miss! Inside Out Music #Interview #Feature

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/interview-with-roine-pale-rider-stolt

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1257 on: October 09, 2019, 07:35:31 PM »
Roine did a nice job of mostly ducking the question about Bodin, but he's not really the type to get into the drama and be brutally honest, so I wasn't that surprised, to be honest.  It is what it is.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1258 on: October 10, 2019, 05:41:10 AM »
Great interview and all, but what on earth is Pale Rider? There's no mention of that, other than in the url and in Ministro's post above.

I think Roine dodged the Bodin question with a fair amount of skill and reason. As he said, they've been through their share of drummers over the years, and no one batted an eyelid. Band members come and go, even seemingly-established members.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1259 on: October 10, 2019, 07:10:34 AM »
Great interview and all, but what on earth is Pale Rider? There's no mention of that, other than in the url and in Ministro's post above.

Pale Rider has been Roine's social media handle for nearly a decade, I believe, since the Whirlwind Tour. It's from the lyrics of "A Man Can Feel", which I'm pretty sure he wrote, from The Whirlwind album.

-Marc.