Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 100759 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #945 on: July 13, 2022, 01:14:30 AM »
Storm
Portrait
Atlantic
Phoenix
Hymns

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #946 on: July 17, 2022, 04:52:12 AM »
Anyone else check out the new album Tom lends his voice to - Dovorian / Kneel and Follow.

Had a go at it yesterday.  Liked it very much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #947 on: July 17, 2022, 12:31:03 PM »
Atlantic
Hymns
Storm
Phoenix
Heartless
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #948 on: July 20, 2022, 01:59:42 PM »

I love Evergrey, but for me they just haven't been the same band since The Inner Circle. I do like the three albums that followed it, but their sound has been very different. Haven't really loved anything they've done after Glorious Collision.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: July 20, 2022, 02:42:15 PM »

I love Evergrey, but for me they just haven't been the same band since The Inner Circle. I do like the three albums that followed it, but their sound has been very different. Haven't really loved anything they've done after Glorious Collision.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: July 20, 2022, 04:08:57 PM »

I love pretty much everything they've done, but I agree with this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #951 on: July 20, 2022, 05:01:36 PM »

I still like their recent output (especially The Atlantic), but I agree. Back then the music had more of a proggy edge, also more gothic darkness and even more despair and grit in Tom’s voice. The Inner Circle is probably my favorite, together with the two records that came before it.

Come to think of it, the live dvd A Night To Remember is from this era and it’s amazing. It’s available to watch in full on youtube.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: July 20, 2022, 05:18:54 PM »

I still like their recent output (especially The Atlantic), but I agree. Back then the music had more of a proggy edge, also more gothic darkness and even more despair and grit in Tom’s voice. The Inner Circle is probably my favorite, together with the two records that came before it.

Come to think of it, the live dvd A Night To Remember is from this era and it’s amazing. It’s available to watch in full on youtube.

That's a great DVD.  The new one compared to that one unfortunately shows how much they have slipped live too.  ANTR probably has a lot of overdubs maybe but still, they're not great live anymore.

But yeah, there's a certain atmosphere from TIC or ISOT that's missing now.  You nailed it there.  They still have a nice dark atmosphere now, but it's different.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #953 on: July 21, 2022, 07:21:08 AM »

That's a great DVD.  The new one compared to that one unfortunately shows how much they have slipped live too.  ANTR probably has a lot of overdubs maybe but still, they're not great live anymore.

But yeah, there's a certain atmosphere from TIC or ISOT that's missing now.  You nailed it there.  They still have a nice dark atmosphere now, but it's different.

I’m on the fence if I’m going to see them on this tour. First time I saw them live was in 2014 and they were pretty good actually.

I def feel you on ‘a certain atmosphere missing’. It is what it is though, they still have many people who dig their recent records - I like them as well - but there’s just something about that old school era..

Offline sam1oq

« Reply #954 on: October 07, 2023, 02:34:38 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yDM3jcU7wc

Masterpiece of a song (Departure), and currently my favorite Evergrey track. The lyrics just send me: "It's not about the breaking, but the rising with an aim."

Offline WardySI

« Reply #955 on: October 07, 2023, 04:36:31 AM »

Masterpiece of a song (Departure), and currently my favorite Evergrey track. The lyrics just send me: "It's not about the breaking, but the rising with an aim."

Love the love for this track Departure is magnificent and while it's a tight race, if pushed The Atlantic would probably be my #1 choice of Evergrey \m/

Consistency is its key!

Offline sam1oq

« Reply #956 on: October 07, 2023, 04:45:05 AM »

Love the love for this track Departure is magnificent and while it's a tight race, if pushed The Atlantic would probably be my #1 choice of Evergrey \m/

Consistency is its key!

My favorite Evergrey release changes all the time, but with my recent listening I have to agree. I'm also really fond of A Silent Arc. When that lead guitar melody hits I lose my shit haha. The drumming in the intro is mesmerizing too. What are your favorite songs on that album?

Offline WardySI

« Reply #957 on: October 07, 2023, 05:39:45 AM »
While there's nothing I would skip it would be hard to choose a favourite from these...

Weightless
Currents
End Of Silence
The Beacon
Departure

You?

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #958 on: October 07, 2023, 06:27:30 AM »

Consistency is its key!

"Departure" is definitely one of my favorites of theirs, but album-wise nothing tops Recreation Day for me. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: October 07, 2023, 01:20:03 PM »

Consistency is its key!

"Departure" is definitely one of my favorites of theirs, but album-wise nothing tops Recreation Day for me.

100% agree.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #960 on: October 08, 2023, 05:05:49 AM »

Consistency is its key!

No argument from me Recreation Day was my first and if not Atlantic than it's usually Recreation Day which since last year's release has come back around again in full force.

Hymns would be close too...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: October 08, 2023, 05:10:20 AM »
Hymns is probably third for me, maybe even second.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: October 08, 2023, 05:55:21 AM »
Hymns is probably third for me, maybe even second.

RD and Hymns are 1a/1b for me.  Both flawless.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #963 on: October 08, 2023, 09:22:43 AM »
My #1 Evergrey is In Search for Truth, with Recreation Day a likely second. I'd also like to offer a mention for Solitude Dominance Tragedy - it was the first Evergrey album I heard and, while their sound was not quite fully formed yet, it's already such a leap forward vs. their debut. Can't argue with tunes like Solitude Within or The Corey Curse.

The post-Glorious Collision albums are great - crazy consistent, really. Particularly the Hymns/Storm/Atlantic trilogy. Maybe a little too consistent, as the band seems to have nicely settled on a certain sound/approach. So much so that I can't quite decide my favorite among them. Hymns definitely felt like a return to form (unsurprisingly, given the lineup "reunion"), so I'm particularly fond of it. But they all very high quality. Of the last two, I found myself returning to Escape of the Phoenix more often than A Heartless Portrait.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: October 08, 2023, 01:52:05 PM »
My #1 Evergrey is In Search for Truth, with Recreation Day a likely second. I'd also like to offer a mention for Solitude Dominance Tragedy - it was the first Evergrey album I heard and, while their sound was not quite fully formed yet, it's already such a leap forward vs. their debut. Can't argue with tunes like Solitude Within or The Corey Curse.

The post-Glorious Collision albums are great - crazy consistent, really. Particularly the Hymns/Storm/Atlantic trilogy. Maybe a little too consistent, as the band seems to have nicely settled on a certain sound/approach. So much so that I can't quite decide my favorite among them. Hymns definitely felt like a return to form (unsurprisingly, given the lineup "reunion"), so I'm particularly fond of it. But they all very high quality. Of the last two, I found myself returning to Escape of the Phoenix more often than A Heartless Portrait.

Agree with your first statement, and the bolded part of the second.  I haven't spun the last two very much, tbh - not for lack of quality, but just ... well, no reason really.

Offline sam1oq

« Reply #965 on: October 10, 2023, 05:22:54 AM »
While there's nothing I would skip it would be hard to choose a favourite from these...

Weightless
Currents
End Of Silence
The Beacon
Departure

You?

Hmmm it's difficult; the album's amazing all around. "All I Have" is the only one I occasionally skip, but even that song's got tons of amazing parts. I think A Silent Arc, A Secret Atlantis, and of course Departure are my standouts, but I also adore Weightless (that bridge!) and This Ocean (such a catchy chorus).

SDT was my favorite earlier in the year when I was going through a rough period. It has the highest level of raw anguish in Tom's voice among their discography IMO, which is perfect while angry with life haha. COLD IS THE AIR I BREATHE, SLEEPLESS, BUT I DON'T MIND THE RAIN, shivers dude.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #966 on: October 13, 2023, 11:53:48 AM »
Cool to see some love for old school Evergrey. The trilogy of ISOT - RD - TIC remains absolutely fantastic. When those albums came out I was a teenager and heavily into prog/powerish metal. Symphony X and Kamelot released awesome albums during that time as well.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #967 on: October 13, 2023, 12:05:14 PM »
Yep, and I was into gothic metal as well, so those albums were hitting the sweet spot for me, combining a darker sound with the prog/power approach...

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #968 on: October 13, 2023, 01:11:21 PM »
This thread has me listening to a lot of Evergrey over the last few days.  I had The Inner Circle on and remembered seeing them open for Iced Earth in 2004.  I bought the CD at that show, just before it was to be released, I think.  I haven't seen them since, but that night was a lot of fun.  Iced Earth / Children of Bodom / Evergrey.  What a lineup that was! 

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #969 on: October 13, 2023, 03:22:46 PM »
Iced Earth / Children of Bodom / Evergrey.  What a lineup that was! 

That is definitely a peak early 00s lineup. 

Yep, and I was into gothic metal as well, so those albums were hitting the sweet spot for me, combining a darker sound with the prog/power approach...

You're going to like a thread idea I'm working on.  I'll probably post it tomorrow. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: November 13, 2023, 10:49:04 AM »
Opportunity to contribute to Evergrey's upcoming track:
https://lotsofmuzik.com/evergrey-invites-you-to-sing-on-their-new-album-video/

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #971 on: November 13, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »
Paging TAC, Puppies, and rom...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: November 13, 2023, 01:32:49 PM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #973 on: Today at 02:04:35 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: Today at 05:47:58 PM »
New tune is out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qrKa-D6rzM

This isn't a new tune, it's off the last album.