News:

Untethered Angel official video:  https://youtu.be/gylxuO6dKOw

Main Menu

Jedi Outcast

Started by TheVoxyn, April 01, 2010, 10:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheVoxyn

El Barto

Big fan.  And it's original incarnation Dark Forces was one of the all time great 1PS. 

TheVoxyn

Quote from: El Barto on April 01, 2010, 10:49:48 AM
Big fan.  And it's original incarnation Dark Forces was one of the all time great 1PS. 
I haven't played that one  :-X. I played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (the latter with a mod, seeing as the normal multiplayer was crap) so much. I even own Jedi Outcast multiple times, for multiple systems :p.

Sigz

Outcast and Dark Forces were both awesome, Jedi Academy was kinda meh.

TheVoxyn

Jedi Academy rocked in multiplayer with the moviebattles mod (possibly my most played game). The normal game was pretty meh indeed.

El Barto

Quote from: TheVoxyn on April 01, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
I haven't played that one  :-X. I played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (the latter with a mod, seeing as the normal multiplayer was crap) so much. I even own Jedi Outcast multiple times, for multiple systems :p.
DF is straight 1PS--no light saber and no force powers.  

My problem with the follow ups was that while I liked the force, you never really got to be a badass until the final levels.  There should have been an version where you're a Jedi Master from the get go without all the stupid training stuff.  Hell, in the Outcast, you didn't even get a light saber until half way through.  

TheVoxyn

Quote from: El Barto on April 01, 2010, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: TheVoxyn on April 01, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
DF is straight 1PS--no light saber and no force powers.  

My problem with the follow ups was that while I liked the force, you never really got to be a badass until the final levels.  There should have been an version where you're a Jedi Master from the get go without all the stupid training stuff.  Hell, in the Outcast, you didn't even get a light saber until half way through.  
I hated the fact that you needed to wait so long for the lightsabers, the first few levels were pretty boring imo.

I think I played it through with cheats once (so I got lightsaber + all powers) just so I could feel like a badass.

El Barto

That's what I did with each of the 3, but I had it set to the ultimate difficulty.  Unfortunately, with force powers and a light saber, that's still no where difficult enough.  I just really liked plowing my way through hundreds of storm troopers using the force to kill them in imaginative ways.  No matter how many times I do it, force choking somebody off a 3000' precipice still amuses the shit out of me.  "Die Jedi Scu--AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh!"

ZBomber

Dark Forces 2 was one of the best games I have ever played, and remains one of my favorites to this day. I remember being stuck on level 6 for the longest time (the one where you are outside the imperial fortress).

Great game, Dark Forces 1 and 2 were awesome... Outcast and Academy were ok but nowhere near as good as the first two.

pogoowner

Dark Forces is my favorite FPS ever. My brothers and I played it constantly when we were kids. We used to go over to a friend's house to play Dark Forces 2 as well, but I was the youngest and never really got to play it very much.

When Jedi Outcast came out, I bought it right away and loved it. The levels before you get your lightsaber are a little bit boring, but they're also the most challenging, if you ask me. That mining facility is a pain in the ass on the higher difficulties. Once you get the lightsaber and become practically invincible, the game is pretty much cake.

El Barto

It's a shame they seem to be done with the series.  Except for the final 2 bad guys, JA wasn't bad at all.  The AI sucked pretty bad, but that's exactly what they could do much better nowadays.  I thought the story sucked, but I can only think of one game where the story actually kept me entertained, anyway. 

Anybody have any experiences with good user created levels? 

ZBomber

Quote from: El Barto on April 01, 2010, 01:52:23 PM
It's a shame they seem to be done with the series.  Except for the final 2 bad guys, JA wasn't bad at all.  The AI sucked pretty bad, but that's exactly what they could do much better nowadays.  I thought the story sucked, but I can only think of one game where the story actually kept me entertained, anyway. 

Anybody have any experiences with good user created levels? 

The modding community for JO/JA was pretty great in its prime. Lots of stuff was released. I was actually working on a total conversion to get Super Smash characters, maps and items into multiplayer... made some progress but died out, along with the rest of the community.

There was also a Dark Forces total conversion for Jedi Academy... There are a few demos floating around, that was pretty cool too.

El Barto

I'd just like some more levels to plow through.  If somebody created a whole 15 level conversion, then great.  I'd be just as happy with a few nice, long invade the Star Destroyer type maps. 

RobD

Well for Outcast or Academy, can't remember which, I have a Duffman skin/sound pack for multiplayer. OH YEAH! :hat

*gets force chocked*

DUFFMAN CAN'T BREATHE! OH NO!

ZBomber

https://jediknight3.filefront.com/

Probably the best place for mods. Haven't been there in awhile so I dunno what ones are the best, but if you look around you should find some good stuff!

Volk9

Outcast/Academy were awesome games!

faemir

Jedi Knight(Darkforces II) and Outcast were the best star wars games in existence bar KotOR.