Author Topic: Jedi Outcast  (Read 5520 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jedi Outcast
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:24:04 AM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Jedi Outcast
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
Big fan.  And it's original incarnation Dark Forces was one of the all time great 1PS. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »
Big fan.  And it's original incarnation Dark Forces was one of the all time great 1PS. 
I haven't played that one  :-X. I played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (the latter with a mod, seeing as the normal multiplayer was crap) so much. I even own Jedi Outcast multiple times, for multiple systems :p.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:52:11 AM »
Outcast and Dark Forces were both awesome, Jedi Academy was kinda meh.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:53:16 AM »
Jedi Academy rocked in multiplayer with the moviebattles mod (possibly my most played game). The normal game was pretty meh indeed.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
I haven't played that one  :-X. I played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (the latter with a mod, seeing as the normal multiplayer was crap) so much. I even own Jedi Outcast multiple times, for multiple systems :p.
DF is straight 1PS--no light saber and no force powers.  

My problem with the follow ups was that while I liked the force, you never really got to be a badass until the final levels.  There should have been an version where you're a Jedi Master from the get go without all the stupid training stuff.  Hell, in the Outcast, you didn't even get a light saber until half way through.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »
DF is straight 1PS--no light saber and no force powers.  

My problem with the follow ups was that while I liked the force, you never really got to be a badass until the final levels.  There should have been an version where you're a Jedi Master from the get go without all the stupid training stuff.  Hell, in the Outcast, you didn't even get a light saber until half way through.  
I hated the fact that you needed to wait so long for the lightsabers, the first few levels were pretty boring imo.

I think I played it through with cheats once (so I got lightsaber + all powers) just so I could feel like a badass.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »
That's what I did with each of the 3, but I had it set to the ultimate difficulty.  Unfortunately, with force powers and a light saber, that's still no where difficult enough.  I just really liked plowing my way through hundreds of storm troopers using the force to kill them in imaginative ways.  No matter how many times I do it, force choking somebody off a 3000' precipice still amuses the shit out of me.  "Die Jedi Scu--AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh!"
E.F. Benson

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:28:24 PM »
Dark Forces 2 was one of the best games I have ever played, and remains one of my favorites to this day. I remember being stuck on level 6 for the longest time (the one where you are outside the imperial fortress).

Great game, Dark Forces 1 and 2 were awesome... Outcast and Academy were ok but nowhere near as good as the first two.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:53:07 PM »
Dark Forces is my favorite FPS ever. My brothers and I played it constantly when we were kids. We used to go over to a friend's house to play Dark Forces 2 as well, but I was the youngest and never really got to play it very much.

When Jedi Outcast came out, I bought it right away and loved it. The levels before you get your lightsaber are a little bit boring, but they're also the most challenging, if you ask me. That mining facility is a pain in the ass on the higher difficulties. Once you get the lightsaber and become practically invincible, the game is pretty much cake.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
It's a shame they seem to be done with the series.  Except for the final 2 bad guys, JA wasn't bad at all.  The AI sucked pretty bad, but that's exactly what they could do much better nowadays.  I thought the story sucked, but I can only think of one game where the story actually kept me entertained, anyway. 

Anybody have any experiences with good user created levels? 
E.F. Benson

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
It's a shame they seem to be done with the series.  Except for the final 2 bad guys, JA wasn't bad at all.  The AI sucked pretty bad, but that's exactly what they could do much better nowadays.  I thought the story sucked, but I can only think of one game where the story actually kept me entertained, anyway. 

Anybody have any experiences with good user created levels? 

The modding community for JO/JA was pretty great in its prime. Lots of stuff was released. I was actually working on a total conversion to get Super Smash characters, maps and items into multiplayer... made some progress but died out, along with the rest of the community.

There was also a Dark Forces total conversion for Jedi Academy... There are a few demos floating around, that was pretty cool too.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »
I'd just like some more levels to plow through.  If somebody created a whole 15 level conversion, then great.  I'd be just as happy with a few nice, long invade the Star Destroyer type maps. 
E.F. Benson

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 06:15:38 PM »
Well for Outcast or Academy, can't remember which, I have a Duffman skin/sound pack for multiplayer. OH YEAH! :hat

*gets force chocked*

DUFFMAN CAN'T BREATHE! OH NO!
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »
https://jediknight3.filefront.com/

Probably the best place for mods. Haven't been there in awhile so I dunno what ones are the best, but if you look around you should find some good stuff!

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »
Outcast/Academy were awesome games!
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 07:15:48 AM »
Jedi Knight(Darkforces II) and Outcast were the best star wars games in existence bar KotOR.