Author Topic: Porcupine Tree Lists-thread - Currently rocking you: mikemangioy  (Read 111584 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Porcupine Tree Top50 (Version 2.0)
« Reply #210 on: April 10, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »
Yes, that was an awesome post, robwebster.  :tup :tup

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
Yes, that was an awesome post, robwebster.  :tup :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »
Had a somewhat hectic day today, but i thought i should update with nr4. :)

4. Way Out of Here - (Fear of a Blank Planet)
Here at nr4, i give you my personal favorite from 'Fear of a Blank Planet'.
Despite having some commercial words in the lyrics, such as "iPod" for example, this song and it's lyrics is really sad and beautiful.
The video is dedicated to Arielle, a girl who got killed by a train.
She was a huge PT-fan, and even founded the band's myspace-group.
I think that the story about her adds a certain amount of something to the song, hearing it and thinking about that story makes the song even more sad than it really is, but it's one of the best songs from the latest albums.
This song starts off very subtle, with Richard Barbieri laying the keyboard-structure, but this song will have plenty of surprises.
The chorus is simply amazing, i don't know if i prefer SW or JW singing it live, maybe they could try and sing it together?
Robert Fripp has some really cool soundscapes, and drumming-wise Gavin is awesome as usual.
The way the song ends, in a sort of "fade-out" is pretty cool.
This is the highlight of the album, and one of the songs i really wish i'll hear live some day. :)

But again, personally i think the lyrics is my favorite-thing about this song.
"Way out, way out of here
Fade out,
Fade out, vanish
"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »
"Way out of Here" is also my favorite song from FoaBP.  :coolio

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #214 on: April 10, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »
"Way out of Here" is also my favorite song from FoaBP.  :coolio
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: April 10, 2010, 05:18:33 PM »
You are correct, but I wouldn't even bother saying stuff like that to him.  All that does is give him a reason to go on another "Trains" tirade, which seems to happen in every PT thread nowadays, and it is getting really old, really fast.  :\
And I think I'll stop bothering reading your posts whatsoever, because it seems like the only thing you're trying to do is ridiculously alternate the things I've done or written with amazing ignorance. For a time I had some hopes that you had actually changed your attitude and are capable of discussing like a normal person, but apparently it was just a short-term smokescreen.

Music is an abstract art. It's about conveying a mood. That could mean anytihng. A 17-minute opus which takes you on an emotional journey, unsettles you and then pangs at your heartstrings is a fantastic song. But a six minute, sepia-tinted nostalgic anthem which fills you to the brim with sorrow and nostalgia with just that tiny hint of optimism can be achingly beautiful in the same way. That's all music is for. It doesn't provide a function. If it makes you feel feelings, it's done its job. And Trains captures its directive very, very well, as the number of people who are in love with the song clearly signifies. It's like it's bottled a really specific, elusive mood. It's not experimental, but it's captured something so fleeting and beautiful, and it's done a marvellous job of it. Loads of people are taking something from it. And that's really all you need to do.

Don't you think it's a bit odd that a bunch of prog fans are all swarming around a six minute song? Surely that should be a tip-off that there's something more to it. No problem if you don't hear it. That's fine. Brilliant, in fact, I think it's great to champion a different opinion. But that doesn't mean everyone else is wrong and it's an emperor's new clothes type thing, so it's kinda rude to be telling people they shouldn't be enjoying it as much as they are. What's wrong with enjoyment, anyway? Not causing anyone any harm.

The reason people get snobby about mainstream music is that a lot of it is shallow. Nickelback is very shallow and so they get swamped with ridicule. And I kind of think they've earnt some of that ire. Just listen to Rockstar, christ. Their only real saving grace is that they're fun, and even then... ehhhh. The Dark Eternal Night is fun. Photograph just makes me want to cut my own spleen out. I don't like, say, dredg any more than Nickelback; I find dredg's vocals really irritating and that actually ruins the band for me. But I recognise that dredg have invested their time into making quite artful music that makes people feel feelings, and their music gains a bit of credibility. Even if I can't stand it. I think it's tricky to call Trains shallow.  They're completely different songs.
I understand the point about Trains (I'm pretty certain I've said that more or once as well). I know the way it works and why people like it.

But the thing I cannot comprehend, no matter what, is how people praise Trains for atmosphere and emotion, and ignore it in more complex songs. That's why I have always loved them, and always will: it's nice to write a good 5-minute song, but creating a song that has 8, 10, 15, 17 or 42 minutes where everything works properly like a cleverly designed mechanism and at the same time has an amazing artful approach that creates a lot of emotion and atmosphere, takes either a genius, a talent, or lots of time or effort (or just all three at once). Gravity Eyelids counts as this type of song. So does Anesthetize, Way Out of Here, the entire The Incident, Russia on Ice, The Start of Something Beautiful, and several others. I like the idea of writing a song with a more classic rock approach, with a more usual structure, catchy chorus and whatever, and done properly works fine on an album (which is the case for Trains, plus it works amazing live)... But that's not the limit of bands like Porcupine Tree. In fact, it's actually the very bottom of their skills.

Yes, I enjoy simple songs that have some emotion and atmosphere in them. But they can never come close to what complex masterpieces like Gravity Eyelids can achieve, moving me on many different levels, impressing with absolutely everything - songwriting, complexity, structure, lyrics, and most importantly the atmosphere it creates. Trains is not capable of doing that. And it wasn't its purpose. If the band just wanted to write songs like Trains, why didn't make the entire In Absentia like that, especially after the experience with Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun? They took a different approach for a reason. They wanted to explore something new, prove that they can do a lot more, and influence the listeners in a different way. So, there were Blackest Eyes, Trains and The Sound of Muzak as a sort of welcome. But it was like just the beginning of the journey, which has much more to discover.

That's it, I think.

---

Wow, this came unexpected. Great to see Way Out of Here so high on the list. I rank it second after Anesthetize on FOABP, but it's an absolutely amazing song and really few in PT discography can stand against it (and it was definitely one of the most incredible live experiences ever).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »
Darkes7, your wall of text's are annoying!
Actually demands some focus from my side at this hour, being extremely tired!  :lol
However, the conclusion is that people's opinions are just different.
I can agree with you that i also love the atmosphere & emotion in longer epics, like the songs you mentioned, but some other days i just wanna listen to their shorter more "simple" songs, because those songs has it as well.
With PT, i think the connection between all their albums, from the early psychedelic/progressive years, to the newer more dark-soundscapes, the thing that has always been there is the emotion and atmosphere.
The Incident has it, Trains has it, and hell.. even a song like Linton Samuel Dawson has it.
Some people will always prefer the shorter songs, and some will prefer the longer songs.

Normally, when i hear someone say "Trains is like the best song ever" or any praising at all, i think: "dude, that's like the first or second song you're most likely to hear with the band, get BEYOND that".
But still, i get that feeling myself some days. :)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »
I understand the point about Trains (I'm pretty certain I've said that more or once as well). I know the way it works and why people like it.

But the thing I cannot comprehend, no matter what, is how people praise Trains for atmosphere and emotion, and ignore it in more complex songs. That's why I have always loved them, and always will: it's nice to write a good 5-minute song, but creating a song that has 8, 10, 15, 17 or 42 minutes where everything works properly like a cleverly designed mechanism and at the same time has an amazing artful approach that creates a lot of emotion and atmosphere, takes either a genius, a talent, or lots of time or effort (or just all three at once). Gravity Eyelids counts as this type of song. So does Anesthetize, Way Out of Here, the entire The Incident, Russia on Ice, The Start of Something Beautiful, and several others. I like the idea of writing a song with a more classic rock approach, with a more usual structure, catchy chorus and whatever, and done properly works fine on an album (which is the case for Trains, plus it works amazing live)... But that's not the limit of bands like Porcupine Tree. In fact, it's actually the very bottom of their skills.

Yes, I enjoy simple songs that have some emotion and atmosphere in them. But they can never come close to what complex masterpieces like Gravity Eyelids can achieve, moving me on many different levels, impressing with absolutely everything - songwriting, complexity, structure, lyrics, and most importantly the atmosphere it creates. Trains is not capable of doing that. And it wasn't its purpose. If the band just wanted to write songs like Trains, why didn't make the entire In Absentia like that, especially after the experience with Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun? They took a different approach for a reason. They wanted to explore something new, prove that they can do a lot more, and influence the listeners in a different way. So, there were Blackest Eyes, Trains and The Sound of Muzak as a sort of welcome. But it was like just the beginning of the journey, which has much more to discover.

That's it, I think.
Christ!

Right. Okay. Fair doos. With the most respect, it does always sound to me like you resent Trains for eclipsing other songs, but fair doos. I actually agree with your points, but I don't think you'd find many people who disagree. There are, naturally, some ming mongs on PTF who'd bite your ear off telling you why the last five years were a mistake and Steven Wilson should be writing music to please them, but most people listen to Porcupine Tree because they love Porcupine Tree in all its forms! Nobody's saying "Trains is good, and therefore by proxy Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is shit because it's not Trains." My favourite PT song's ASBNH. I love experiments. But I don't know how you're getting so much discussion out of "Trains appeals to lots of Porcupine Tree fans." Hell, weird structures and experiments basically give me erections! I put on The Incident and I'm stood to attention for 55 minutes. Last time I listened to it, some passing boy-scouts tried to tie a Union Jack to it! It doesn't mean I can't think Trains does what it does nigh-on perfectly, though.

Nobody thinks Trains is the only good PT song. But it's like bottled nostalgia. It's not hard to write a pop song, but one which strides in so confidently and paints such a vivid picture is damn tricky. Like creating a human face in five simple brush-strokes. It's a feat in a completely different sense to Gravity Eyelids, but no less valid. Some people think it's a greater feat, some people don't. Why does that bother you so much? You're on a Dream Theater message board, it's not like you're talking to a crowd of philistines who shy away from anything that doesn't resemble 4/4. Trains just ticks a lot of boxes. I'm very sorry but I really can't see what the issue is. People still listen to, discuss, and dearly love the other songs. Everyone thinks there are lots of good Porcupine Tree songs. It's not as if they're boxed off into a dirty old crate marked "Cow Shit." Kev just said WOOH was his favourite on FOABP! You like WOOH! Good, it is! Even if it has a damn weird abbreviation.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:18:24 PM by robwebster »

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
The main issue is: I'd understand if there was actually balance. But in reality, like you said, it does eclipse other songs. It gets a ridiculous amount of attention and creates a fake image of the band's discography. Seriously, sometimes I'm getting the feeling there are two groups of PT fans - the ones who would most preferably burn everything created after Signify (not so big and pretty much not present here, but I've seen some of those), and the other - the ones who ONLY see the poppy songs, with nothing in between. Sounds insane, I know, but that's how it sometimes feels to me. There. Is. No. Balance. Whatsoever.

And yes, I'm sick of the fact that you're allowed to say whatever you like about any PT song, from Jupiter Island to Remember Me Lover, and nothing special will happen other than a normal discussion. If someone DARES to say anything bad about Trains and also sometimes The Sound of Muzak, a damn crusade begins. It has grown to such ridiculous proportions that this actually happened when I recently JOKED about Trains. Sorry, but something is not fucking right here. I understand people like different things but cultist approach is something I won't.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:43:07 PM by Darkes7 »

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
The main issues is: I'd understand if there was actually balance. But in reality, like you said, it does eclipse other songs. It gets a ridiculous amount of attention and creates a fake image of the band's discography. Seriously, sometimes I'm getting the feeling there are two groups of PT fans - the ones who would most preferably burn everything created after Signify (not so big and pretty much not present here, but I've seen some of those), and the other - the ones who ONLY see the poppy songs, with nothing in between. Sounds insane, I know, but that's how it sometimes feels to me. There. Is. No. Balance. Whatsoever.

And yes, I'm sick of the fact that you're allowed to say whatever you like about any PT song, from Jupiter Island to Remember Me Lover, and nothing special will happen other than a normal discussion. If someone DARES to say anything bad about Trains and also sometimes The Sound of Muzak, a damn crusade begins. It has grown to such ridiculous proportions that this actually happened when I recently JOKED about Trains. Sorry, but something is not fucking right here. I understand people like different things but cultist approach is something I won't.

At least half of the time you're the one who brings Trains up. And it hardly creates a "fake" image of their discography. Ever since Stupid Dream there have been plenty of poppy songs. It's every bit as much as part of PT as their experimental side.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one on a crusade.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
If I ever have in the past month, it was either because 1) someone else claimed I "hate" it 2) the aforementioned joke. Anytime earlier - I don't think it was more than once.

::) Please return to the real world and look around here, last.fm, or anywhere else.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
Quote from: Darkes7
If someone DARES to say anything bad about Trains and also sometimes The Sound of Muzak, a damn crusade begins.
I disagree. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=10856.msg390731#msg390731

Following morning, not even a single parcel of poo. Well, there was one, but that was for something else. Comedy routine gone wrong. I'm also willing to venture that it's probably not on my PT top ten.

Seriously... people are going to put up resistance when you slag off their favourite song. If someone tells me Doctor Who's rubbish I tell them why it's fantastic. That's just called "having an opinion." But when you accuse people of being on crusades or neglecting the rest of the discography of their favourite band, that's a bit of an overreaction, and it'll provoke an equal and opposite reaction. So in a way it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #222 on: April 10, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »
Darkes7, i agree with a lot of the things you say but i wanna just say one word;

opinion :)

it depends on the listener. you can like the complex songs more and infact im with you on that one but some people like the songs that are more simple in terms of song structure which i like too actually.
You're a good guy but i've been reading a lot of your posts and i think the way you respond to people doesn't sound like you are respecting their opinion.  Sorry if i am a little harsh on you but hey

I also love FOABP and its lyrics as much you :) so that should help.  Again i dont wanna piss you off but i think the key thing to do is respect people's opinions.  Especially Kev has been one of the most generous poster here so try not to say things like "I'm not gonna both responding to you anymore" etc...

Oh and Way Out of Here at #4!! Great stuff great stuff... im looking forward to do the top 3.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
The main issue is: I'd understand if there was actually balance. But in reality, like you said, it does eclipse other songs. It gets a ridiculous amount of attention and creates a fake image of the band's discography. Seriously, sometimes I'm getting the feeling there are two groups of PT fans - the ones who would most preferably burn everything created after Signify (not so big and pretty much not present here, but I've seen some of those), and the other - the ones who ONLY see the poppy songs, with nothing in between. Sounds insane, I know, but that's how it sometimes feels to me. There. Is. No. Balance. Whatsoever.

I'd like to point out that most of the PT fans on this board, PTF, and real life fans of the band that I've met all have songs from PT's whole discography on their most played list.  Sure, some might prefer a certain period to another, but I think your generalization is pretty damn flawed.  Look at the forum you're posting on, you should be seeing the love people have for "Arriving Somewhere," "Anesthetize," "Deadwing," "Heartattack in a Layby," "Even Less," "Collapse," "Hatesong," "Dark Matter," etc. by now.  All of those with the exception of "Dark Matter" are 1. not poppy songs and 2. after Signify.  

EDIT: I can't believe I didn't comment on your choice of number 4.  "Way Out of Here" is my favorite song from FOABP as well.  Nice job, though it wouldn't be in my top 10, it would probably be in the 25.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:03:50 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #224 on: April 10, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
Way Out was the first PT song I fell in love with  :tup Great song!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
You are correct, but I wouldn't even bother saying stuff like that to him.  All that does is give him a reason to go on another "Trains" tirade, which seems to happen in every PT thread nowadays, and it is getting really old, really fast.  :\
And I think I'll stop bothering reading your posts whatsoever, because it seems like the only thing you're trying to do is ridiculously alternate the things I've done or written with amazing ignorance. For a time I had some hopes that you had actually changed your attitude and are capable of discussing like a normal person, but apparently it was just a short-term smokescreen.

My change in attitude?  My attitude is pretty much the same as it has always been, except I actively try not to be as critical in general as I used to.  I would guess you are probably the only person here who thinks I am incapable of discussing things like a normal person, and considering your age, I am not gonna take offense to that.  And that is not me being condescending about your age; it is just me being realistic.

You are the one who constantly criticizes a song with extremely long posts, and then cop outs with the "I was only joking" (which is lame, as you know how people are gonna react, considering you react to their reactions every time, so really, your joking could be construed as stirring the pot) or "Someone else started it" lines.  So before you criticize me and my posting style, perhaps you should take a long look in the mirror.  Numerous people lately have called you out for your constant "Trains" tirades.  What's that old phrase...where's there smoke, there's fire. 

Think of this: You are very high on Opeth's "The Grand Conjuration."  I am not, and several others have said they are not either.  How would you like it if one of us had to talk about how overrated we might think that song is nearly every time it is brought up?  It would get annoying, wouldn't it?  Of course.  That is human nature.  No one wants to read someone criticizing the same thing over and over and being a broken record.  I admittedly used to have that problem with certain things (and not just here), but that is what I meant earlier when I said that I try not to be as critical now.  Listening to music is fun.  So is talking about it.  Why put so much effort into always talking about one song, one you apparently like, but just think is overrated?  You obviously like a lot of PT songs, so why not talk about them more often?  Not saying you don't already, but you are almost known for your "Trains" bashing as much as anything.  That is quite telling.  That is all I am saying.  Then again, if you aren't reading my posts anymore, this Darkes-like looooong post was all for naught :p, but if you did read it, I hope you will consider what I am saying. :)

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: April 10, 2010, 11:04:54 PM »

This is lol worthy and you're crazy, dude!

I love the band Porcupine Tree! :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2010, 04:57:05 AM »
Update, now entering top3.  :tup

3. Hatesong - (Lightbulb Sun)
A song i discovered pretty early, stood out from the rest songs on the DVD.
This song is 'just' really good on the album, but live.. this song becomes maybe their best.
It's one of my absolute favorites (therefor the nr3, duh!), but it's also one of their most progressive/experimental songs.
It starts off with the main bass-riff, which has become widely famous since they started playing it live.
After that it's all about the little parts, the guitar-sound surrounding the bass-line, the drums and obviously the keyboards!
The lyrics are also amongst my favorites, working very well together with the music.
If you wanna show someone how brilliant PT are live, and how good musicians they are, you should show them Hatesong from AS.
The whole improvised-ending is just awesome, and that part is just made for Gavin.
Overall this song features some of the best riffs from that period, and together they form one of their best 'almost-epics'. (songs just under 10-minutes that is)

2 to go. :)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2010, 05:50:51 AM »
Great choices for 3 and 4! WOOH is just as you said, amazing. Hatesong I don't particularly love on the album, but live it's an entirely different beast :hefdaddy

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2010, 07:51:24 AM »
Hatesong is another very good choice. :tup
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
Hatesong for teh wins!!! I don't mind the studio version as much as everyone else I think... in my opinion it's just as good as AS version. By the end the two versions sound almost completely different!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2010, 08:41:10 AM »
Hatesong is another very good choice. :tup

Yup.  Hatesong is one of the reasons Colin Edwin is one of my favorite bass players.  Very good song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
"Hatesong" is soooo good. :)

I can't wait to see the forum react when "The Nostalgia Factory" ends up at number 1. ;) :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
I remember Nostalgia Factory having cool music but when the vocals come on...ugh.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here and The Blind House?

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2010, 11:58:19 AM »
Pah! More like Jupiter Island at no.1  :hat

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »
Arriving Somewhere for sure, but I'm not so sure about The Blind House.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Oh oops. Now I know what it is. Dark Matter and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here.  :biggrin:

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2010, 02:19:30 PM »
'Hatesong' was definately a stand-out when I first discovered the band. I have some great memories attached to the studio version, but the AS version is just insanely well done.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
Robwebster  :hefdaddy

EDIT: Guys, "Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip" at #1 FTW!!!!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:35:19 PM by mizzl »

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
Great choices for 3 and 4, especially Way Out of Here.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »

If a Top 15 and a Top 20 song rounded out 1 and 2 it'd be fairly disappointing.

Offline jag66

« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2010, 05:00:23 PM »
Oh oops. Now I know what it is. Dark Matter and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here.  :biggrin:

Yeh i had those down with WOoH as the top 3..

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2010, 02:38:30 AM »
Here we go, number 2!

2. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here - (Deadwing)
Here it is, the 'beast' on Deadwing.
This 12-minute song has become a huge fan-favorite since it first appeared, and the majority of PT-fans either loves this song, or Anesthetize.
The title of the song feels really suiting, because the song takes you on a music-journey, and you wont end up in the same place as where it all started.
It starts with a keyboard-intro, which is very atmospheric and an interesting part of the song.
Really emotional as well.
However, when the guitar kicks in, that's when the real joy starts.
Personally i have to say that the lyrics are a big part of the song, there are several moments when i can't do anything else then just think: "this line is perfect".
An example of this, is the line:
"Did you ever imagine the last thing you'd hear as you're fading out was a song?"
And the chorus is just spot-on as well.
"Arriving somewhere.... but not here"
This is one of the songs that really develops a lot during the way, and when it comes to the Åkerfeldt riff-part, the song sounds like something completely else.
At first i was actually really surprised, all of a sudden the song turned into a metal-climax, but then again it was one of the things that made it a bit special. ;)

1 song left.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2010, 02:47:55 AM »
Sintheros is going to be ragin'