Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 228292 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1540 on: September 28, 2016, 07:09:08 AM »
Mob was a really nice surprise for me, better than One Punch Man in pretty much every way.

I've been getting caught up on the two Danganronpa animes and, damn. If you've played the games there's no excuse not to watch the animes, they're incredible.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1541 on: September 28, 2016, 09:20:37 AM »
When does fall begin? I'm dying this week... lol.

It's technically already begun, but the first batch of titles you may be interested in start this Saturday.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1542 on: September 29, 2016, 06:33:17 PM »
Danganronpa Spoilers:

First they killed my Super High School Level Waifu but then they unkilled her and I'm not sure how I feel about it. In a series like Danganronpa the stakes sorta need to be real.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1543 on: September 30, 2016, 05:04:28 AM »
When does fall begin? I'm dying this week... lol.

It's technically already begun, but the first batch of titles you may be interested in start this Saturday.
Not seeing much that interests me, but it's hard to judge based on premise. I don't have time to watch episodes of everything so I'm sure some favorite will emerge within a week or two.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1544 on: September 30, 2016, 11:09:25 AM »
Not seeing much that interests me, but it's hard to judge based on premise. I don't have time to watch episodes of everything so I'm sure some favorite will emerge within a week or two.

A tip for the future: don't read the premise, and instead try to pick based on staff and genre. Anime has a really bad habit of failing to deliver on interesting premises. It has gotten to the point where there is an inverse correlation between how intriguing the synopsis is and how much I enjoy a show. I understand if my preferred approach is too time consuming, but it's worked out much better for me.

IMO, the two shows to look out for this season, discounting sequels, are Sangatsu no Lion and Fune wo Amu. The former is written by the author of Honey and Clover, one of anime's most compelling and believable dramas. The latter is an adaptation of a well received Japanese novel. Its live action adaptation won several awards a few years back.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1545 on: September 30, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »
New ghost in the shell live action trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvzrzu6ukBk

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1546 on: October 08, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »
I'm finally going to watch Cowboy Bebop in it's entirety in order.  I'm sure I've seen every episode (Adult Swim and I have VHS of the last half of the show) but never have seen it start to finish.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: October 08, 2016, 10:32:01 PM »
Only thing I'm super interested in this season is Occultic;Nine. Hopefully it'll be better than Robotics;Notes.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1548 on: October 09, 2016, 10:34:57 AM »
Only thing I'm super interested in this season is Occultic;Nine. Hopefully it'll be better than Robotics;Notes.

I'm not picking that one up, as I haven't liked anything A1 has done since SSY. However, I'm still open to trying it, and don't know much else about it. What exactly is its draw, aside from the author and its connection to Steins;Gate?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1549 on: October 09, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
Well, mostly that. I also played Chaos;head (the anime suckdd) and loved it. So 2/3 of the nitro+/5Pb thing;stuff stories I have greatly enjoyed.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1550 on: October 09, 2016, 05:55:17 PM »
Rewatching Monster with my gf, first time she watches it. Damn, I wished there was a BR release of it, the artwork is really great.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: October 13, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »
Well the first episode of Occultic;Nine was promising... The one character's breasts are a little ridiculous, though.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1552 on: October 13, 2016, 10:23:04 PM »
If by 'promising' you mean 'a complete and utter clusterfuck', then I agree. It was more a collection of scenes than a coherent episode, and possesses a level of frenetic insanity I do not care for. This seems to be an issue with the adaptation rather than the source, though. Cramming an entire LN volume into 22 minutes is never a good idea. In the end, my bias against A1 Pictures has proven itself well justified yet again.

There are four (6 counting leftovers) really promising shows this season, but Occultic;Nine is not one of them. I likely won't watch any further.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1553 on: October 13, 2016, 10:49:14 PM »
I mean in a season that appears to be mostly full of ecchi harem shit, generic shonen shit, and chuunibyou edgelord shit (aka most seasons), I'm willing to give it a chance even if only so I have more than just Jojo to watch. The pacing was certainly bad, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt on wanting to introduce most of the major characters.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1554 on: October 14, 2016, 12:01:26 AM »
As I said, the first episode covered an entire LN worth of material. Only 2 volumes have been published. Make of that what you will.

I mean in a season that appears to be mostly full of ecchi harem shit, generic shonen shit, and chuunibyou edgelord shit (aka most seasons), I'm willing to give it a chance even if only so I have more than just Jojo to watch. The pacing was certainly bad, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt on wanting to introduce most of the major characters.

It was more of a composition issue than a pacing issue, which I find much more serious. One episode is usually enough to get a feel for the directing and writing of a show, and I don't like what I see. The story for any given show can improve, but those elements are less likely to change.

At the very least, check out Sangatsu no Lion. It's Shaft's only full length tv anime this year, is an adaptation of an Umino Chika manga, and has my favorite first episode of the season.

I'm uncharacteristically excited for this season. It's rare for so many shows to have such promising starts. There's still plenty of time for them to sour, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic for now.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: October 14, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
Looking at the premise of that show it doesn't sound like something I'll be into. Like Hikaru no Go. I just can't see an anime about a board game being very entertaining.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1556 on: October 14, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »
Yup, seems like this season will  be a chance to catch up on some older stuff for me. Not much really grabbing me at all.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1557 on: October 14, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
Looking at the premise of that show it doesn't sound like something I'll be into. Like Hikaru no Go. I just can't see an anime about a board game being very entertaining.

This is precisely why I never read the premise. It's only superficially about Shogi. The real meat is in their characters and their relationships. Sangatsu is more of a character drama than a board game anime.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1558 on: October 14, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
K so I checked it out.

As expected from SHAFT the visuals are top notch. The cats were funny and the family was cute.

As far as the actual story goes I remain less than convinced. I'll give it a few more episodes.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1559 on: October 21, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »
The Kira-centric JoJo's episodes are always a joy to watch. He may be my favorite JoJo's character to date.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1560 on: November 11, 2016, 04:41:17 PM »
If even half of what I'm still watching maintains its current quality, Fall will easily be the best season of the year. Sure, the misses were much worse than usual, but the hits are of both higher number and quality than even Spring. The only thing this season is missing is a top tier SoL/ Iyashikei along the lines of Flying Witch, Tanaka-kun, and Amanchu! (coincidentally, my top 3 of 2016, disregarding Fall titles).

There's still plenty of time for the shows I'm following to implode, but I'll remain optimistic for now.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1561 on: November 28, 2016, 05:42:29 AM »
So, Code Geass is getting a sequel. Based off of its title, Revival of Lelouch, I find it safe to assume that a certain interpretation of R2's ending is now canon. Any literary value that ending had is now void. Way to go, Sunrise. You ruined one of anime's most iconic endings nearly 10 years after the fact. :clap:

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: November 29, 2016, 07:32:22 PM »
It's definitely concerning.

I'll hold out hope that it's just someone pretending to be Lelouch.

If it is actually Lelouch I'll just pretend it doesn't exist.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: December 01, 2016, 12:08:02 AM »
So I've been watching Bungou Stray Dogs and am really digging in. I think I'm nearly caught up.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1564 on: December 09, 2016, 06:40:47 PM »
What I need in my life right now:

A good anime series that's based on an adventure video game series (say, Xenosaga or Final Fantasy) OR a good fantasy adventure series like Akatsuki no Yona, Chrono Trigger, Rune Soldier Louie (I mean not this one because it sucked, but the same general idea), etc.

For some reason I just have a hankering for a band of heroes traveling together. However, unlike Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, I want to see a series where the heroes actually reach their goal, defeat the big bad, whatever (although I'd be willing to let it slide if the series is of the level of quality of, say, Saiyuki). Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:55:28 PM by Super Dude »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: December 09, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
Hunter x Hunter?
Fullmetal Alchemist?
Sword Art Online (1st season)?
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders Arc?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1566 on: December 10, 2016, 12:05:03 AM »
I say Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a great shout-out of an adventure series.  The first 12 or so episodes of Sword Art Online with the original plot in mind (an evil video game developer trapped a lot of people's minds in a VR MMORPG world and the only way to save the people in the game is for someone to beat the game and if you die in the game, you die in real life) is "ok." The story onwards kinda jumped the shark and was basically a harem series with an one true definitive pairing though I heard the last arc of the anime in season two was good enough.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: December 10, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
Yeah I really just meant the first arc. Third arc is okay too but not really adventure.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1568 on: December 23, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »
So now that JoJo's is over...

3 > 2 > 4 >>>>> 1

My only big complaints about part 4 was how a large portion of the cast was introduced and then did next to nothing for the rest of the show, and how about half a dozen episodes could have been cut without losing anything. It's nowhere close to my favorites of 2016, but that's more a testament to how good this year was than anything else.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: December 24, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
I disagree... DiU was my favorite anime this year and one of my favorite arcs. It's between Diamond and Battle Tendency. Stardust Crusaders I just found boring tbh.

Anyway now the wait for Vento Aureo begins...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1570 on: December 24, 2016, 09:07:52 PM »
What I need in my life right now:

A good anime series that's based on an adventure video game series (say, Xenosaga or Final Fantasy) OR a good fantasy adventure series like Akatsuki no Yona, Chrono Trigger, Rune Soldier Louie (I mean not this one because it sucked, but the same general idea), etc.

For some reason I just have a hankering for a band of heroes traveling together. However, unlike Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, I want to see a series where the heroes actually reach their goal, defeat the big bad, whatever (although I'd be willing to let it slide if the series is of the level of quality of, say, Saiyuki). Thanks in advance!
Picking up on "Xenosaga", I'll throw my rec in for Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.

Quality show, definitely centers around a band of heroes traveling together, and while I'm not sure where it'll end up, it's been a very entertaining ride so far. Also, it's a whole new universe, so no prior Gundam knowledge is necessary.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1571 on: December 25, 2016, 09:20:21 AM »
Thank you! :tup
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
owo
« Reply #1572 on: December 31, 2016, 10:34:51 AM »
So accidentally watched the first chapter of the new season of Mushi Shi, and liked it, but dunno if starting with the original series or keep watching this season (because it's available on Netflix, the other ain't).

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1573 on: January 01, 2017, 07:57:52 PM »
All in all, 2016 was a much better year for anime than 2015 was. I liked enough shows to make a solid top 10 this time around.

1. Hibike! Euphonium S2
2. Flying Witch
3. Amanchu!
4. Fune wo Amu
5. Saiki Kusuo
6. Tanaka-kun
7. Konosuba
8. Yuri!!! on Ice
9. Konobi
10. Either JoJo's or Flip Flappers

Sangatsu no Lion would be my #1, but it has yet to finish. If it maintains its current quality throughout its second half, it will be the first time a show I watched as it aired will break my overall top 10.

As a huge fan of Slice of Life and comedy anime, I found a lot to like about this past year. The first three seasons had little to offer outside of those labels, and all of the (good) dramas and ambitious titles aired in the Fall.

So accidentally watched the first chapter of the new season of Mushi Shi, and liked it, but dunno if starting with the original series or keep watching this season (because it's available on Netflix, the other ain't).

I haven't watched Mushishi, but I'd recommend starting from the beginning. If you don't want to rely on less-than-legal means, you could continue watching Zoku Shou, though you'll likely be missing out. Even episodic shows can have thematic and character progression from episode to episode.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: January 31, 2017, 01:01:49 AM »
Well decided to finally tackle Evangelion. 20 chapters in and I like it a lot.

Finished it. What the fuck. :lol

Gonna watch the movie tomorrow, and maybe Death to have a recap of the series.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:09:29 PM by Sacul »