Author Topic: The Anime Thread V. Bebop  (Read 231400 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Re: The Anime Thread V. Bebop
« Reply #1435 on: May 03, 2016, 02:52:57 PM »
I could have phrased that better. "Forgettable" is closer to my intended meaning than "nonexistent". The best example I can think of is Texhnolyze; the characters are left intentionally ambiguous, and the focus of the show is on the events themselves and their thematic implications. Maybe Code Geass as well, though that one doesn't fulfill the "great plot" criterion.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1436 on: May 03, 2016, 03:00:57 PM »
Hm, i liked some shounens with stereotyped and cliched characters. I think i do prefer plot over characters but, if you can have both done well (like LoGH), the better.

Also, Code Geass is one of my favorite animes.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1437 on: May 11, 2016, 07:05:49 AM »
Finished another series (Kyou no Go no Ni). Just a few OVA's left and then I'm on to the next one.

This anime brought back a lot of memories of my own grade school experiences, for good or bad. I enjoyed watching it, but It probably doesn't make my top 10.

Aihara makes my list of top 10 favorite characters, though, without a doubt. She's special :P
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1438 on: May 11, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
I've been watching Sabagebu! and Watamote this past week.

I finished the former yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Not every segment was great, but most had me grinning throughout their entire duration, and about 70% of them were hilarious. The characters, especially Momoka, were refreshing. They were clearly based off of the typical anime tropes, but most have some characteristic that separates them from their contemporaries. Not all of these attempts were successful, but I appreciate the effort. Overall, it's one of the funniest anime from the past few years.

I've been watching Watamote at a slower pace. I find it hard to watch more than one episode every day or two. Though I have yet to finish it, I do think I've watched enough to comment on my Erased finale remarks.

As for everything before that... I don't think I've ever cringed so much in only 15 minutes. And, before you ask, no, I haven't seen Watamote.

Watamote and Erased aren't comparable in the cringe department. Watamote's cringe derives from secondhand embarrassment on the part of its lead, while that of Erased comes from the nature of its overdramatic, corny, "please make this stop" dialogue in its final episode. When watching Watamote, I feel embarrassed for Tomoko. When watching Erased, I myself feel embarrassed. I can easily handle, and even like, the former, but hate the latter. I imagine that non-fantasy fans feel the same way when listening to a Rhapsody/RoF album.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:51:45 PM by Randaran »
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1439 on: May 13, 2016, 07:45:37 AM »
I can easily handle, and even like, the former, but hate the latter. I imagine that non-fantasy fans feel the same way when listening to a Rhapsody/RoF album.

I'm huge into fantasy, but I never really connected with Rhapsody like I should have. I find myself focusing on guitars/keyboards and tuning out vocals/orchestra/choir because it's just too "out there".

"Frozen Tears of Angels" and "From Chaos into Eternity" are my favorite albums by them, by far. Luca Turilli's final two albums before he left the band, and he really shines.

Now back on topic xD I watched the first Kyou no Go OVA and was pretty disappointed. Ended up stopping it halfway through. The OVA's must have come before the actual series, because this one presented some of the exact same storylines as the show, except with minor dialogue changes and a much different art style. On that subject.. I didn't like the art style as much as the series. It's just.. not as warm or cute or funny. Aihara is much more sadistic, less cute (downside), and she has a different CV. They all just sorta look and behave like weird versions of the characters I grew to love. Maybe it's more faithful to the original manga, I dunno, but I didn't like it as much as the series.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1440 on: May 14, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
Randaran are you at the part where her cousin comes to visit yet? Definitely the most cringe-inducing parts imo. And hilarious.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1441 on: May 14, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »
Not yet. I'll look forward to it.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1442 on: May 18, 2016, 11:40:14 AM »
God dammit, Re:Zero. You have so much potential to be great, but seem obsessed with "balancing" every strength of yours with stupid bullshit. >:(

I do not understand the general anime fandom's fascination with this show.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1443 on: May 18, 2016, 12:54:37 PM »
Nichijou took over my anime time. I'll get back into Azumanga Daioh sometime in the near future though.

It's got that charm and clever humor that attracts me. I don't know who I like best yet :P

I do not understand the general anime fandom's fascination with this show.

I feel this way about way too many shows. Not just anime.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1444 on: May 18, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »
My favorites are the Shinonome household. The trio of Hakase/Professor, Nano, and Sakamoto is hard to top.

Make sure you watch the "prequel" episode at some point, preferably before the final episode. Though MAL has it listed as a prequel, it actually takes place sometime after episode 3. Not that time has any meaning in Nichijou. :lol

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1445 on: May 18, 2016, 04:29:20 PM »
My favorites are the Shinonome household. The trio of Hakase/Professor, Nano, and Sakamoto is hard to top.

Make sure you watch the "prequel" episode at some point, preferably before the final episode. Though MAL has it listed as a prequel, it actually takes place sometime after episode 3. Not that time has any meaning in Nichijou. :lol

I just finished the episode that introduces Sakamoto. They are indeed an interesting trio. I'd like to learn a little more about how Professor got so intelligent and able to whip up amazing things in a very short amount of time, but I'll accept if it doesn't elaborate on that, being a comedy and all xD

Out of those three, I'm actually most intrigued by Nano's inner "thoughts" about the world around her. She's very human-like in her desire to fit in. I wonder if she'll ever have that key taken out, or if Professor will just leave it there to troll her :P

Sakamoto is a cat. He certainly acts like one when he talks. xD

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: May 18, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »
The great thing about Nichijou as compared to most SoL shows is that it's actually funny

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH SICK BURN

*air horns*

SHOTS FIRED

...my name is Araragi.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1447 on: May 19, 2016, 07:38:03 AM »
The great thing about Nichijou as compared to most SoL shows is that it's actually funny

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH SICK BURN

*air horns*

SHOTS FIRED

You're proud of that one, aren't you?  :lol

For me, if it's happy and lighthearted, it doesn't have to be laugh out loud funny. There's only one unfortunate example of SoL that I actually found boring. Sorry K-on! It had cute characters and a nice premise but it went nowhere. Even by SoL standards it was horribly thin on story. The comedy was never anything worth more than a small chuckle, and fanservice was pretty minimal. All those things combined make for a pretty average anime IMO.

I feel terrible saying this because there's another user on this forum who loves K-on!, but I have to be honest too..

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1448 on: May 19, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »
I feel terrible saying this because there's another user on this forum who loves K-on!, but I have to be honest too..

I only watched the first season, but make that two.  :( It's the show that initially sparked my interest in SoL.

Most of my favorite SoL are not particularly funny. Their atmosphere and characters draw me in. The atmosphere can range from the cute, happy stuff Taco prefers or the slightly somber tone I prefer. I also prefer characters that are nuanced and feel somewhat like real people, which, as much as I love some of them, I cannot say about Nichijou's characters. The characters and their dynamics separate the good SoL from the great ones.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: May 19, 2016, 10:49:15 AM »
See but K-on! is also funny. I feel like a lot of these "Cute girls doing cute things" shows are trying to capitalize on K-on's success but missing out on what made it next level: the humour (and the music). Come on. Moe moe kyun? Classic.

Similarly I feel shows like Hyouka and Chuunibyou were trying to do the Haruhi thing but missing the crucial element: real stakes.

I just want a goddamn Yotsuba&! anime is that so much to ask japan ffs

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1450 on: May 19, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »
See but K-on! is also funny. I feel like a lot of these "Cute girls doing cute things" shows are trying to capitalize on K-on's success but missing out on what made it next level: the humour (and the music). Come on. Moe moe kyun? Classic.

I don't know enough to comment on its overall success, but I liked K-on! for its subtle characterization and development. Every character acts slightly differently depending on who is near them while sticking to their core personalities, making them feel more like real people than mere "cute anime girls". They are also dynamic, the most obvious example being Yui. It was the characterization, not the humor, that brought K-on! to the next level. I do agree that most other "cute girls" SoL are lacking in this department.

Similarly I feel shows like Hyouka and Chuunibyou were trying to do the Haruhi thing but missing the crucial element: real stakes.

I think you missed the point of Hyouka. It's nothing like, or even attempts to be like, Haruhi. I honestly have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: May 19, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
High energy girl + low energy boy form stupid club, there are mysteries

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1452 on: May 19, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »
Ok, I'll give you that. :lol I'll offer one correction: Hyouka is not a mystery, but rather a character-driven SoL with a mystery "flavor" (haha).

The similarities end after the basic premise. Hyouka does not parody or comment on common anime tropes, its tone is down to earth and somber rather than energetic, it is not a comedy, the romantic elements are handled very differently, the characters are nothing alike aside from the Kyon-Oreki (and, to a lesser extent, Haruhi-Chitanda) comparison, and so on.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1453 on: May 19, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »
See but K-on! is also funny.

I humbly disagree... I didn't laugh once while watching it. It's really cute but not that funny to me. The "moe moe kyun" part is one of the high points of the series, for sure, but even that was more about fanservice than humor.

I'll have to watch it again someday because I missed the boat on characterization. They seemed pretty generic to me.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1454 on: May 19, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
See but K-on! is also funny.

I humbly disagree... I didn't laugh once while watching it.

How much did you watch? The appeal of K-on! started to emerge about 3 or 4 episodes in.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: May 19, 2016, 01:36:09 PM »
Here we are talking about the intracicies of SoL when all I want is to talk about how being meguca is suffering, whether Shiki can kill servants, and tell Shinji to get in the fuxking robot.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1456 on: May 19, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »

How much did you watch? The appeal of K-on! started to emerge about 3 or 4 episodes in.

I watched the first season. It was a year and a half ago, though, so perhaps I wasn't in the right mindset to understand it and appreciate it at the time. Someday I'll give it another chance :)

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1457 on: May 21, 2016, 08:55:40 PM »
Here we are talking about the intracicies of SoL when all I want is to talk about how being meguca is suffering, whether Shiki can kill servants, and tell Shinji to get in the fuxking robot.

Spoiler: He gets in the robot  :biggrin:

I find myself really enjoying SoL series now.  Lucky Star was odd (with that first episode) but since then I've watched a few other series, including Nichijou.

My thing about K-on is that it didn't seem to have any conflict.  I watched the first season and started the second, but got bored and stopped.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1458 on: May 22, 2016, 09:38:07 PM »
I finished GochiUsa's second season, and it was a huge improvement over the first in every area. It was cuter, funnier, more atmospheric, established its characters better, and so on. My favorite episodes were the pair featuring Mocha. They showed why Cocoa acts the way she does, and gave her character more depth than the typical "cute anime girl". My favorite is still Rize, but Cocoa is now a close second. If there is ever a third season, I'd love to see the rest of the cast treated similarly.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1459 on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:37 PM »
I finished GochiUsa's second season, and it was a huge improvement over the first in every area. It was cuter, funnier, more atmospheric, established its characters better, and so on. My favorite episodes were the pair featuring Mocha. They showed why Cocoa acts the way she does, and gave her character more depth than the typical "cute anime girl". My favorite is still Rize, but Cocoa is now a close second. If there is ever a third season, I'd love to see the rest of the cast treated similarly.

Mocha is a powerful being of legendary status. Her sister powers are unmatched.  :lol

Offline TL

« Reply #1460 on: May 26, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »
I've been watching Watamote at a slower pace. I find it hard to watch more than one episode every day or two. Though I have yet to finish it, I do think I've watched enough to comment on my
This, definitely. Rarely when watching any show have I had such an internal conflict of "This is so painful to watch", and "I want to watch more of this immediately". Such a great show, it absolutely nails what it's going for.

I feel like Chunnibyou was doing enough of its own thing. There were stakes, they were just entirely personal. I thought Rikka's ark in the first season was well done.

I liked K-on! for its subtle characterization and development. Every character acts slightly differently depending on who is near them while sticking to their core personalities, making them feel more like real people than mere "cute anime girls". They are also dynamic, the most obvious example being Yui. It was the characterization, not the humor, that brought K-on! to the next level.
I'd agree with this. When I first saw K-On, I wasn't familiar at all with the whole 'slice of life' thing, and was caught off guard by the tone of it. When I got used to what it was doing, I liked it. Such a subtle, character focused show is right up my alley.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1461 on: June 01, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »
Time to start Aria! I usually try to enter each show I watch with the same, moderately low, expectations, but have high hopes for this one. It's generally considered to be one of the best examples of my favorite genre, and I am curious to see if it lives up to its reputation.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: June 17, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
BEST JOJO RETURNS BUT IS TOO OLD

CRAZY DIAMOND HIS BRAIN

...my name is Araragi.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1463 on: June 18, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »

CRAZY DIAMOND HIS BRAIN

huh

I haven't watched much anime in the last three weeks at all. Gotta change that tonight.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1464 on: June 24, 2016, 07:09:04 PM »

CRAZY DIAMOND HIS BRAIN

Today's episode further confirmed that, even as a geriatric, Joseph is still best JoJo.

How do you feel Diamond is Unbreakable compares to David Production's previous JoJo anime? As much as I enjoy it on a week to week basis, I can't help but consider it a step down from Battle Tendency and especially Stardust Crusaders.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: June 24, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »
Seriously even in his current state he still comes up with these crazy plans.

Was so pissed with Josuke's attitude... Glad he came around.

As far as comparing it to previous arcs... I'm having fun whixh is really all I ask for from Jojo. I think DiU has a stronger cast than Stardust Crusaders did, and once the real stakes start it should be great.

As far as Battle Tendency... Battle Tendency had a cyborg nazi and coliseum battles. So.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1466 on: June 25, 2016, 06:37:52 PM »
I am going through Death Note again. Love this series

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1467 on: June 27, 2016, 06:38:49 PM »
The lackluster Winter season was followed by the best season since I began watching seasonal anime. I finished 2/3 of what I started, when I usually drop more than half. The season contained 2 top tier Slice of Life titles, JoJo's, and a few others that I enjoyed.

My Favorites:

1. Flying Witch
2. Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
3. Diamond is Unbreakable

I hold all three of those in higher regard than Konosuba, my favorite anime of Winter 2016.

Now, for my opinions on the most watched shows.

Boku no Hero Academia could have been great, but was way to slow for most of its major events to have any impact. I usually prefer slow paced titles over fast ones, but BnHA executed it poorly. For example, the fight between Kacchon and Deku could have easily been done in 10 minutes rather than 25 without losing anything. It is slow paced solely because it wastes most of its screentime.

I still have mixed feelings on Re:Zero. However, I loved the final scene of yesterday's episode. Subaru was finally told off in a way that might impact his behavior. If the author is particularly sadistic, then the "respawn" point for this time loop will be right before the most damaging line of that conversation. I look forward to Subaru's potential character development.

The most underwatched title is Sansha Sanyou. It has some of the most expressive and fluid character animation I've ever seen, and excellent characters. Even in the final few episodes, the main trio were still showing new sides of their personalities. The side characters weren't nearly on the same level, but I still liked most of them.

The biggest disappointment was Kizunaiver. It went south almost immediately after episode 7, and never recovered.

My most anticipated show of Summer is Amanchu. It's written by Aria's mangaka, and directed by Slice of Life god Satou Junichi. I won't be picking up as many shows, but have high hopes for those I will be trying.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: June 27, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »
No opinion about Attack on Zombies on a Train?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1469 on: June 27, 2016, 07:35:58 PM »
I didn't watch it, and have no intention of ever doing so.