Poll

How would you feel about another DT/Queensryche (Todd LaTorre)tour?

fap , fap , fap...
9 (10.1%)
Yeah , I'd be down for that.
27 (30.3%)
Meh.
33 (37.1%)
Uh...I don't know if that's such a good idea.
10 (11.2%)
You should be banned just for suggesting that.
10 (11.2%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: How would you feel about another DT/Queensryche (Todd LaTorre) tour?  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Ytsejammin

• The biggest DT freak in Idaho
I was just thinking that in light of some recent lineup changes , this could possibly be an interesting evening of entertainment.
Through natures inflexible grace , I\'m learning to live.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Re: How would you feel about another DT/Queensryche (Todd LaTorre) tour?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »
Well, since DT and Queensryche don't make me want to masturbate, I chose the second option.  Do DT and QR make... YOU.... want to.... um.... masturbate?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
I'm not a huge Queensryche fan, and I haven't heard much of Todd La Torre, but I'd be down for it. Don't think it'll happen, though.

Offline 425

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
Well, given that DT is doing "Evening With" again (which traditionally that means they are the only ones on the bill), and I would rather have a third hour of DT than a set by any other band, I will go with "I don't know if that's such a good idea" because I hope they continue to play long sets rather than playing with other bands.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »
I voted banhammer, but in all seriousness, my reaction is more like 'meh'.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »
Yeah, I'd be down for that.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »
I've always been sad that I missed the last time.  However, I would prefer the evening with if it was between those two

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 11:29:51 PM »
They should tour together and switch stage productions. Queensryche can have the 3 cube screens and DT can have the exotic dancers and the cabaret stuff.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:25 PM »
Meh. I'm not on board with all the new Queensryche hype. I wouldn't mind seeing them with DT though. Would rather just have an extra hour and a half of DT.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 12:32:22 AM »

I'm gonna go with not so much.

I was a fan of QR back in the Mindcrime and Empire era, but everything they've put out since has kinda been meh... Geoff Tate kinda lost his appeal for me after Empire. And while I think the new release with La Torre is a vast improvement, it's still not up to the quality of MK or Empire... so...

As for the DT side of things, I honestly don't think they would work well together as opener/main act. Both bands are too big commercially to fit as the opener, and if they co-headlined, DT would have to cut out some of their longest, most popular songs. Plus, I imagine they're touring with the orchestra, and that would be logistically very difficult to set up after tearing down QR's stage. The wait between sets would be far too long. (like waiting for the new album)

And yes, I'd put QR in the opener's slot, because without Geoff Tate, they have lost a lot of ground. While DT has continued to grow and improve over the years.

Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
I voted the meh option for the only reason that I don't wish for the presence of opening acts. Besides, there are other, younger bands that are putting out good music and would deserve the great promotional boost that a tour with DT grants.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 04:03:03 AM »
If they wanted an opening band, I'd be up for Queensryche, since it's one of the rare bands that all of DT and me like :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 04:26:40 AM »
Well, given that DT is doing "Evening With" again (which traditionally that means they are the only ones on the bill), and I would rather have a third hour of DT than a set by any other band, I will go with "I don't know if that's such a good idea" because I hope they continue to play long sets rather than playing with other bands.
Pretty much this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 05:34:21 AM »
I don't really get the point of this thread to be honest. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 06:01:09 AM »
Voted "meh" - I'd rather see an evening with DT than DT and a band I don't care about, but I guess QR could be on the bill if DT needed a support band on some tour, because a lot of people seem to like them.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 06:27:41 AM »
I prefer a 30min longer DT show than a 40-60min QR show i don't care about.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 07:37:01 AM »
Pretty much this.
I fully agree with the above post too. However, if DT (heaven forbid) decides to take an opening act out on the road with them on future tours, I'd rather see QR than the vast majority of the bands that they've taken out with them in the US (Europe always seemed to get better opening acts).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 08:28:20 AM »
I'd be totally down for it.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »
Uh...I don't know if that's such a good idea.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
meh

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »
This is an awful idea and you should probably be banned.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »
Quote from: Ytsejammin
How would you feel about a DT/Haken tour?
FTFY

Now we're talking!!! :metal :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »
Queensryche already burned that bridge.  If DT was even considering something like that, I would hope that Fates Warning would be their band of choice.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline snowdog

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
Queensryche already burned that bridge.  If DT was even considering something like that, I would hope that Fates Warning would be their band of choice.
Huh?  Did I miss something.  I know the band wasn't thrilled with Tate on their joint tour (Portnoy more than the rest I think).  And I know Petrucci wasn't happy with what the 2nd guitarist of QR at the time said to him.  But that guy is gone.  I am not aware of any hard feelings between the current QR lineup and DT.

And I would agree that I'd prefer Fates opening to QR.  But would be happy to see either band open.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Not sure how they already burned that bridge, unless you're speaking of the canceled tour in 2000. And if so, they made up for that with the tour in 2003. If you're making references to anything else, you forget that the individuals that caused any problems were original vocalist Geoff Tate and his wife Susan, who served as QR's manager for the last 10 years or so. Even if you're speaking of Mike Stone who arrogantly tried to show JP a thing or two about playing guitar (and served as some inspiration for the lyrics of As I Am), he too is gone and has been so for 5 years.

The remaining 3 guys from the lineup that toured with DT in 2003 are all cool guys and are deserving of another chance, especially now that they've finally wrestled control of the band back from the Taters.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »
I wasn't aware of the issue with Mike Stone. Can any elaborate, please?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »
I wasn't aware of the issue with Mike Stone. Can any elaborate, please?
Just did a quick search for "Mike Stone" and "John Petrucci" and I found this quote from the Lifting Shadows book:
"Those lyrics [As I Am] were directly inspired by some of the mumblings going on backstage on that tour with Queensrÿche," reveals Mike [Portnoy].  "And especially their new guitar player Mike Stone.  He would make comments like those [referring to Tate's Classic Rock interview where Tate said (paraphrasing here) that QR concentrates on songs, while DT concentrates on how many notes they can play].  He would be giving John Petrucci tips.  This is coming from a hired gun who hasn't done anything in his career, and he's giving John tips?  I find that to be the most insulting thing I've ever heard of.  I wouldn't say it was insulting if it was somebody that was doing it nicely, but he was doing it pompously.  And it's like hello?  You're telling John how to bend a note?  Give me a break."

In lyrics - written by John Petrucci - such as Lost in a sea of mediocrity /  Slow down you're thinking too much - where is your soul? / You can not touch the way I play / Or tell me what to say, the motives behind those sentiments are clear when placed into the context of those irksome series of shows.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
Not sure how they already burned that bridge, unless you're speaking of the canceled tour in 2000. And if so, they made up for that with the tour in 2003. If you're making references to anything else, you forget that the individuals that caused any problems were original vocalist Geoff Tate and his wife Susan, who served as QR's manager for the last 10 years or so. Even if you're speaking of Mike Stone who arrogantly tried to show JP a thing or two about playing guitar (and served as some inspiration for the lyrics of As I Am), he too is gone and has been so for 5 years.

The remaining 3 guys from the lineup that toured with DT in 2003 are all cool guys and are deserving of another chance, especially now that they've finally wrestled control of the band back from the Taters.
Oh,  :facepalm: I must've been referring to the wrong Queensryche.  My bad...I guess.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ytsejammin

• The biggest DT freak in Idaho
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »
Thanks for the responses everybody!

1. No , neither act causes me to masturbate. I don't care how hot Sister Mary or Victoria are.
2. I never suggested a DT/Haken tour , but it doesn't sound too bad. There appears to be some way to humorously miss-quote on this forum.
Through natures inflexible grace , I\'m learning to live.