Author Topic: Metropolis - film connection  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Metropolis - film connection
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »
Two days ago or something I recalled an interesting thing from like 5 years ago (yes, "cool story bro"), when I bought SFAM and my friend, who hadn't known DT back then - attempts at making him interested in DT and PT have been 20% successful - when looking through the booklet and asking me what's it about, said that it's interesting it's called Metropolis with the action mostly in 1928... since just one year earlier there had been a classic film of the same title (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(film) - in general he's really into cinema). I've heard of the connection of the album to the film "Dead Again", but never read about any possible connection to this, and searching the forum also gave no results - is this just a coinscidence, or someone has possibly heard more about it? I know I'm a bit late asking this :lol but finding it interesting.

Offline contest_sanity

Re: Metropolis - film connection
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »
From reading the film synopsis at Wikipedia, it doesn't sound like the 2 are connected at all to me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 03:07:31 AM »
No connection.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »
Come on guys it's a good effort. Just thoughtfully smile...

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
What I meant simply if it's a sort of nugget or however to call it, a bit like the "sailing on the seven..." part of Octavarium. A little reference that has no influence on the actual plot or meaning of the song/album, but still a reference nonetheless. No clue if anyone from DT is a fan of older cinema.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »
No clue if anyone from DT is a fan of older cinema.

Wasn't Kevin Moore a ridiculous fan of older cinema, hence the overly obscure samples in different songs?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »
No clue if anyone from DT is a fan of older cinema.

Wasn't Kevin Moore a ridiculous fan of older cinema, hence the overly obscure samples in different songs?
Like Late Night With Conan O'Brien.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 08:00:52 PM »
 :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 10:27:32 PM »
Yeah I still don't get the Conan sample...

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 11:20:39 PM »
Yeah I still don't get the Conan sample...
It's only the best sample in the history of EVER :tup

It's completely random but somehow fits perfectly... can't imagine SDV without it.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »

Cool thing about the Conan sample is that he was still only in the first season of his show at that point in time.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 11:43:48 PM »

Cool thing about the Conan sample is that he was still only in the first season of his show at that point in time.
That's a neat fact I was unaware of.  I'm sure the SDV mention was what got him offered a second season: all those prog listeners flocking to NBC.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 01:00:32 AM »

That's a neat fact I was unaware of.  I'm sure the SDV mention was what got him offered a second season: all those prog listeners flocking to NBC.

Well duh.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:56:24 AM »
There's obviously no plot connection, but it wouldn't surprise me if the date was a minor reference, considering how much of a movie buff MP is.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »
There's obviously no plot connection, but it wouldn't surprise me if the date was a minor reference, considering how much of a movie buff MP is.
This
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.