Author Topic: Two handed independance question  (Read 1315 times)

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
Two handed independance question
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Although this question is being asked because i am practicing touchstyle guitar, pianists and keyboardists can likely answer. I want to be able to play bass arpeggio or some other ostinatio while improvising interesting melodies over it. When i try this now, if im playing say 8th notes in the left (accompaniment) hand, i cant go above 8th notes in the right hand, or else my left hand stops. Also i cant get the right hand phrasing different from the accompaniment.

How can i get independance of both hands?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:00:43 PM by jackbauer114 »

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
Re: Two handed independance question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:31:09 AM »
Practice. That's honestly all you can do. Start with one hand, add the other. Spend time on it.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:28:30 AM »
^  What he said.  It sounds so cliched and irritating, but it is so very true.  I know "Practice!!" was the last thing I wanted to hear when I was learning, but in hndsight, I wish I'd practiced more.

Like any other technique, practice it ridiculously slow, with a metronome.  Slow enough that your brain has the time to comprehend coordinating both hands the way you want them.  Once you get that down slow, gradually increase the speed a few notches, to where any faster and it'll get away from you.  Master it.  Increase.  Repeat until you're where you want to be.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »
As a drummer I know the importance independence of limbs. The best you can do is practice and start slow, and with a metronome if you have one.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:32:12 AM »
Practice, as stated before. For piano and keyboard, playing Bach greatly improved the independence between my hands. His Inventions and Sinfonias are especially helpful for this purpose.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:57:37 AM »
As a drummer I know the importance independence of limbs. The best you can do is practice and start slow, and with a metronome if you have one.

-Marc.

https://webmetronome.com/  :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon