Author Topic: Peruvian Skies  (Read 14320 times)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
Re: Peruvian Skies
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 07:52:23 PM »
In my bottom five of all time.
I can't stand it.
It such a weak attempt at being Floydish..and fails miserably at it.

I think my opinion is definitely in the minority most people here gush all over it.

Agreed. I can't get interested in this song. One of the worst songs in FII.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 01:01:36 AM »
In my bottom five of all time.
I can't stand it.
It such a weak attempt at being Floydish..and fails miserably at it.

I think my opinion is definitely in the minority most people here gush all over it.

Agreed. I can't get interested in this song. One of the worst songs in FII.

Surely you cannot be serious.  Definitely not one of the worst songs on that album.  Burning my soul and You not me are far far far worse. 

I like this song.  The vocal melodies to me sound great.  I think there is a lot of passion in the way James sings them.  Great build up, and GREAT solo.  I enjoy.  I used to dislike this song, but I gave it another chance and realized its very good.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:58 AM »
I've loved it since my first listen of Falling Into Infinity. It was my first "older" DT album (before I had listened to Octavarium, SFAM and Train of Thought), and New Millenium was a negative first impression, and You Not Me felt ok. But when this one entered... I knew I'm going to love old DT just as much.

The combination of the calm first half and the heavy, Metallica-influenced second half is great. Btw, I've heard there's some "2005 version", where is it? Never heard it myself.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »
Btw, I've heard there's some "2005 version", where is it? Never heard it myself.
The 2005 version incorporated a snippet of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here after the first chorus, and a snippet of Metallica's Wherever I May Roam in the later, heavy section of the song, after the last chorus.  It was identical to the earlier version they did with PF's Have A Cigar and Metallica's Enter Sandman, but with different songs by PF and Metallica.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
Haven't heard the earlier altered version either, then. I need to look for it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2010, 10:44:15 AM »
I hope they bring Peruvian skies in heavy rotation on the next tour, but with Have a cigar and Enter sandman. That's a MUST!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
I hope they bring Peruvian skies in heavy rotation on the next tour, but with Have a cigar and Enter sandman. That's a MUST!
It's not a must, it's been done.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
I like the song. Not a fan of the way it begins but aftwerwards, its very energetic and cool. I am not a music expert in finding connections with DT songs and other bands, so I am not really sure why people say its metallica-ish, but anyways...its a song that is not supposed to be over-analyzed, its just another cool FII song.
Listen to "Bleeding Me" by Metallica. The guitar is extremely similar. Also, the heavy riff later in the song has quite the Metallica vibe to it.
Also, they throw in the riff from 'Enter Sandman' at the end of 'Peruvian Skies' on the Once In A Livetime cd (7:12 mark).

Not to mention the segment from Pink Floyd's Have A Cigar earlier in the song.  Something similar was done on the 8VM tour.  They always said this song was like PF meets Metallica.
On the 8VM tour they played it with "Wish You Were Here" and "Wherever I May Roam". Very cool. EDIT: Hef beat me.

But I don't understand the hate towards this song. Oh, well, poor Vanessa.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:42:32 PM by emindead »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »

You don't need to look very hard.  It's on Once In A Livetime.

On the 8VM tour they played it with "Wish You Were Here" and "Of Wolf and Men". Very cool.

No, you have your Metallica songs confused.  It was Wherever I May Roam as hef said above.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
New Millenium was a negative first impression
wat

But I don't understand the hate to this song. Oh, well, poor Vanessa.
:lol

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
thanks, bosk, I somehow don't have that album...buying it now

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2010, 05:48:56 PM »

You don't need to look very hard.  It's on Once In A Livetime.
:lolpalm: OK, I'm clever. I have another reason to listen to it now.

New Millenium was a negative first impression
wat
I've never liked it and count it as probably my least favourite DT song. It has nothing that would grab me in any way. Not that it's bad (I don't know any DT song that is really bad), but I'd just prefer if it wasn't there. Doesn't happen to me with any other DT song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »
Speaking of the 2005 version of "Peruvian Skies", does anyone know where the snippet on the "Dark Side Of The Moon" Ytsejam release is from?   It's on YouTube and it says "Chile 2005" but I don't think that's correct.  I have a version from Chile and it's definitely different.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
Speaking of the 2005 version of "Peruvian Skies", does anyone know where the snippet on the "Dark Side Of The Moon" Ytsejam release is from?   It's on YouTube and it says "Chile 2005" but I don't think that's correct.  I have a version from Chile and it's definitely different.

Stadler, can you link the youtube video?

I wonder if it was from one of the Gigantour shows?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:37:15 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2019, 07:10:32 PM »

Offline lucidlydreaming

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 07:27:15 PM »
Have a Cigar / Enter Sandman works better than the 2005 version, imho.

Also, I've always wondered what that final jam is on the OIALT version. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2019, 07:46:00 PM »
https://youtu.be/ClcTNgy9CPQ

Stadler, the thing says its from The Dark Side Of The Moon DVD.

It's Hammersmith in London.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 01:03:11 AM »
Probably a top 20 DT song for me.  The verses are so addicting to sing along with and that heavy riff is amazing.  The thrash metal riff is just the cherry on top.  Megadeth and Metallica are two of my favorite bands of all time (along with DT) and Peruvian Skies feels like a mashup of all three bands for me, so I love it.  I get similar vibes from A Rite of Passage as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »
https://youtu.be/ClcTNgy9CPQ

Stadler, the thing says its from The Dark Side Of The Moon DVD.

It's Hammersmith in London.

It's definitely from the DVD (that's where I first saw it), but it's a snippet in the bonus section, not the main program.  On the DVD in the bonus section there are two snippets - just the minute or so sections of "Wish You Were Here" and "Have A Cigar" from within the two versions of Peruvian Skies (the latter is from 5 Years In A Lifetime) - then three songs - "Hey You", "Comfortably Numb" (with Queensryche) and "Echoes, Pt I".  I checked  the footage from the main program, and it's not that night (and the setlist shows they didn't play Peruvian Skies before DSOTM) but I forgot they did two nights at Hammersmith, and sure enough, they did Peruvian Skies the night before, so you may be right.   Thanks! 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:31 AM »
Right. It was played the previous night.