Author Topic: JM going silent after JR's arrival?  (Read 19737 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: JM going silent after JR's arrival?
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »
With all these laurels piled on JM, one also shouldn't forget that when he actually had solo spots, he also at times completely botched them, especially on the early albums. His choice of fast notes+distorted bass have led to several "wtf?" moments from my side.

rumborak

What? I never noticed that

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 08:36:21 AM »
So I'm watching WDADRU and noticed that anytime JM does something crazy, the camera is focused on either Petrucci or Portnoy.

Perhaps Myung just noticed that no matter what he does he's gonna be in the background.
I donīt think so. In all other DVDs, there is plenty of footage showing him doing his cool things.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 08:41:38 AM »
So I'm watching WDADRU and noticed that anytime JM does something crazy, the camera is focused on either Petrucci or Portnoy.

Perhaps Myung just noticed that no matter what he does he's gonna be in the background.
I donīt think so. In all other DVDs, there is plenty of footage showing him doing his cool things.

Well the DVD thing was just lead in to the other point. That even if Myung did cool things, they will be largely placed in the background with no real attention given to them at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:57 AM »
I think that the WDADRU footage is the only DT concert video I have seen where the camera editing is totally messed up. I mean, on L@B, LSFNY and Score JM was given decent camera time (though still less than any of the other guys, so it kinda nullifies my point a bit...); one thing to criticise is that the volume of his bass kinda decreased as time went on. on LSFNY, he was present throughout the whole DVD footage, he was well audible on Budokan, but not so much on Score. The low point was his bass solo during Metropolis Pt. 1, you could barely hear it. Kind of a shame, imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »
I can't see much of Myung in the Live Tourbulence Bootleg in Bucharest as well...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
As far as doubling baselines and tightness goes...

TRUE that some bands sound extremely heavy without doubling the bass.

However, EVERY aspect of DT nowadays seems extremely live-oriented.

The band seem to be writing music they know they can replicate live.

Doubling bass and guitar to do this seems pretty much natural if you don't want to spend so much time in the studio doing things that won't sound as great live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »

I disagree.  I remember being so annoyed when I first got the M:2000 VHS and seeing how little they showed Myung during "Through Her Eyes."  His fretless work in that song is so badass, yet he is barely shown. :tdwn

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
I agree with Kev. JM has always taken the backseat in live videos, for no apparent reason.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »
As far as doubling baselines and tightness goes...

TRUE that some bands sound extremely heavy without doubling the bass.

However, EVERY aspect of DT nowadays seems extremely live-oriented.

The band seem to be writing music they know they can replicate live.

Doubling bass and guitar to do this seems pretty much natural if you don't want to spend so much time in the studio doing things that won't sound as great live.

I don't see how whether or not the bass guitar playing the same notes as the electric guitar or it's own unique ones affects live performing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2010, 06:42:16 PM »
Because then, to play heavy, they'd have to layer JP in such a way in the studio that would be very difficult to replicate getting a "heavy" sound live.

Online Adami

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2010, 06:47:49 PM »
Because then, to play heavy, they'd have to layer JP in such a way in the studio that would be very difficult to replicate getting a "heavy" sound live.

huh? JP is miced, panned, EQ'd and so forth way differently live anyway.

Unless JP just tracks a single track of rythm, it's off anwyay.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
Well, unless he's tackling LaBrie.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2010, 09:50:41 AM »

Uhh... JP's guitar goes stereo with different delay times in both speakers to make his sound bigger. Also I have no idea what you were trying to say in your previous post.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2010, 10:23:37 AM »
All the guitars on Awake were recorded 4 times, with different amps each time, he hasn't had problems playing that live....

Offline TL

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »
Honestly, I'd say Myung being the silent member of DT is, to an extent, a persona.
Now, the guys in DT all come across as very genuine, and I'd say that's accurate. I don't doubt that JMX is quieter than the other members, or that he's a fairly private person; I just think that the band may play up that angle a bit for the amusement of the fans. It's like how JP plays along with the 'billion notes per second' stuff. They take genuine things about themselves, and play it up for entertainment. There's nothing wrong with it at all; I'm just speculating.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »
Honestly, I'd say Myung being the silent member of DT is, to an extent, a persona.
Now, the guys in DT all come across as very genuine, and I'd say that's accurate. I don't doubt that JMX is quieter than the other members, or that he's a fairly private person; I just think that the band may play up that angle a bit for the amusement of the fans. It's like how JP plays along with the 'billion notes per second' stuff. They take genuine things about themselves, and play it up for entertainment. There's nothing wrong with it at all; I'm just speculating.

lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »
You should listen to what JM plays in the Jelly Jam albums and Platypus. Some amazing bass lines there...

I hope JM returns to the lyric department in the next DT album. I don't see the bass as the current problem (or weakness)...I think DT's weakest link right now is the lyrics...

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »
You should listen to what JM plays in the Jelly Jam albums and Platypus. Some amazing bass lines there...

I hope JM returns to the lyric department in the next DT album. I don't see the bass as the current problem (or weakness)...I think DT's weakest link right now is the lyrics...
Yeah, the lyrics have been a weak link for some time now.

Online Adami

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2010, 10:11:38 PM »

He won't. It sucks.

Portnoy will continue to write his personal lyrics that are decent at times and petrucci it seems will continue making me wonder what the hell happened to the guy who wrote songs like LiTS and voices.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »
Word, Adami.

):

Always hoping to get proved wrong though.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2010, 03:28:43 AM »

He won't. It sucks.

Portnoy will continue to write his personal lyrics that are decent at times and petrucci it seems will continue making me wonder what the hell happened to the guy who wrote songs like LiTS and voices.

This. I always have hope, but the lyrics in the last two albums to me are below average. I keep thinking how much better TCOT would be with decent lyrics.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2010, 04:01:42 AM »
This is exactly what I'm thinking.

Offline popol

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2010, 06:14:17 PM »
Just to be clear, I think Jordan joining the band was the greatest thing that could happen. Kevin and Derek didn't fit in with the other guys, who were all so vastly superior technically.

Have you seen When Dream and Day Reunites? Jordan and Derek trade off solos and Derek is IMO does a much better job. Derek also does a jawdropping solo on the last Ayreon album, that IMO tops anything I've heard Jordan do.

I don't really mind if they let Jordan do his keyboard solos, but I don't understand how it makes any sense that it's not the "role" of the bass to solo, but that it can be the role of the keyboard to solo. I honestly don't see the point in the keyboard solos, Jordan can also shred on guitar if he wants to, his keybaord solos, for the most, sound like watered down guitar solos transposed to keyboard. I'd rather hear more bass solos, Myung can pull off some ridiculous stuff that would sound so much more original than the usual Jordan stuff, and that wouldn't sound like a wannabe guitar solo.

In short, I don't have any problem with Jordan, except that he's taking too much space. And I'm sure that Derek would've been more appreciated had he stayed longer with DT. I think the only reason people don't like him is because they don't like FII (witch IMO has some of their best ever material), and because they haven't been exposed to enough bootlegs to realise that he was a much better performer than Kevin.

With that said, JMX still does a very good job with the role he's been given. Whoever doesn't hear him in the mix, has an earing problem or bad speakers.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:54:50 PM by popol »

Offline popol

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »
 :|
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:54:39 PM by popol »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2010, 05:58:43 AM »
Why did you quote yourself?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2010, 06:13:57 AM »

He won't. It sucks.

I could be wrong but I think Portnoy said he wasn't going to write any more lyrics after BC&SL.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2010, 06:19:05 AM »

He won't. It sucks.

I could be wrong but I think Portnoy said he wasn't going to write any more lyrics after BC&SL.

lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »

He won't. It sucks.

WHY WOULD YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2010, 09:45:23 AM »

He won't. It sucks.

WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2010, 10:03:50 AM »
Just to be clear, I think Jordan joining the band was the greatest thing that could happen. Kevin and Derek didn't fit in with the other guys, who were all so vastly superior technically.

Have you seen When Dream and Day Reunites? Jordan and Derek trade off solos and Derek is IMO does a much better job. Derek also does a jawdropping solo on the last Ayreon album, that IMO tops anything I've heard Jordan do.

Yes I have, and during the 5-7-5-7 section at the end of Metropolis you can hear the difference in playing ability between Jordan and Derek. Derek plays loads of wrong notes, while Jordan flawlessly executes the same passage - doubling with his left hand mind you.

I can agree that nowadays, Jordan's solos are not what they could be, but he is absolutely perfect on SFAM and SDOIT. Today as well, most of the stuff he plays is awesome. I haven't heard any Ayreon.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2010, 08:06:56 AM »
I don't think the technical difference between Derek and the other members is all that vast. With Kevin, yes, but his writing more than made up for it.

+1

DT lost a bit of itself lyrically when Kevin departed. Listening to the last three albums of DT, I feel like I'm listening to MP's or JP's memoirs. Honor Thy Father, BCSL, Take Away My Pain to name a few.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
I don't think the technical difference between Derek and the other members is all that vast. With Kevin, yes, but his writing more than made up for it.

+1

DT lost a bit of itself lyrically when Kevin departed. Listening to the last three albums of DT, I feel like I'm listening to MP's or JP's memoirs. Honor Thy Father, BCSL, Take Away My Pain to name a few.

Take Away My Pain is from Falling Into Infinity. Did you perhaps mean The Best of Times? And some of the greatest lyrics ever penned could be said to come from someone's "memoirs" (i.e most personal, meaningful lyrics)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »
True.  But after three or four of these "really personal songs" I kinda feel like that's enough, and maybe they should write about something else instead.  A particular song with deep personal meaning can be very powerful, but when there's half a dozen of them, how special can each one of them be?

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2010, 09:43:44 AM »
True.  But after three or four of these "really personal songs" I kinda feel like that's enough, and maybe they should write about something else instead.  A particular song with deep personal meaning can be very powerful, but when there's half a dozen of them, how special can each one of them be?

Well said. I would concur with this reply.

Offline popol

« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »

Yes I have, and during the 5-7-5-7 section at the end of Metropolis you can hear the difference in playing ability between Jordan and Derek. Derek plays loads of wrong notes, while Jordan flawlessly executes the same passage - doubling with his left hand mind you.

I can agree that nowadays, Jordan's solos are not what they could be, but he is absolutely perfect on SFAM and SDOIT. Today as well, most of the stuff he plays is awesome. I haven't heard any Ayreon.

5-7-5-7 section? Sorry but I listen to music for enjoyment, I don't pay any attention to stuff like time signatures and I couldn't care less about anyone's playing ability. The only thing that matters to me is what sounds good to my ears. Derek live sounds better than Kevin to me, and Jordan sounds better than Derek except when he does annoying stuff. At least Derek didn't do any of that stuff.

I think one of the reason why Awake is a fan favourite is because the keyboard are more laid back.

I don't really have a problem with keyboard solos, but Jordan's stuff gets kinda old. What I really can't stand is when he sounds like he's trying to play rythmn guitar. There is a time and place for keyboards and Jordan needs to learn when to just stop playing.