Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72920 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
Yeah, I can't justify spending 5k on a bike right now, even if it is worth it (and this guy is stretching it). 

I checked out cycletrader, and went to a dealership, and they had one 09 FZ6 that was "on sale" for $5999 (before taxes and fees).  So bikes are more expensive here (SF Bay Area).

Now that I'm more comfortable looking at the bikes mechanically, I'm going to meet up with the guy selling the black 08 FZ6 I mentioned a few posts back (with the scratches).  If the scratches are all on the oil pump cover, which it looks like, I can easily replace it from ParkShark for $36.  Half the mileage, and he has it down to $3600 already.  Then I can get my own gear and still be ahead.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.

Scrapes and dents on a bike are terrible things, a lot of people fear what else could be wrong with the bike but I think they could be gems.

It's how I scored my CBR, the thing looked like a mess and didn't run but after some inspecting it just needed it's carbs pulled, a paint job and some tires. In the end it cost me $400 and it ran perfectly and looked great. With that said though there can be some real messed up bikes out there.

To add a little bit more. I think it's good to get a bike that has a little damage, it'll hurt you less when you do drop it.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
Found out a little more about the "drop".  He said the original owner told him, "not very fast, around 40-50mph".  Said he had a dealer inspect it before buying it and said all the damage was cosmetic, mainly on the lower right side, with other scratches barely noticeable.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 07:34:21 AM »
40-50 is a pretty damn fast drop, did the bike have frame sliders?

I can't imagine a bike taking a drop at 40 and not bending something in the process.

I'd probably get it inspected before you buy it for a little piece of mind.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
I went to a Yamaha dealership not far from where the guy lives, and he said he can do a 5-10 minute inspection for free if we bring it by.  They could also do a more in depth hour long inspection looking at everything else for $85.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
I'd take it in for the free inspection for sure and if you're still shaky than I would do the $85 inspection, that is if you really like the bike.

It'd be good to have that piece of mind especially if you don't have a buddy around to look at it for you.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »
Yeah, though I feel much more comfortable with the first bike (the overpriced blue 08 FZ6).  I tried on the gear and it fit OK (helmet was fine, jacket not so much).  I sent another email to him offering $4300 for it without the gear.  One reason for justifying the price is the brand new tires, saying that would be above and beyond the $4390 for bluebook.  Is that ok?  Or should that be included under the "excellent condition" classification?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »
If it's spotless, well maintained with the new tires (brake pads are bad right? but he is giving you new ones?) then I'd say excellent condition.

$4300 sounds good but it better be a fanfuckingtastic shape. I have a feeling though this guy is going to want more, unless he has another bike, he'll probably want to get rid of his gear.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »
It is, I already met up with him once and rode it.  It's spotless on everywhere, with no scratches anywhere, and no grime around the engine. 

His wife is behind him selling it which is why he wanted to get rid of the gear too.  Front brakes are 3k miles old, and the rear pads haven't been replaced at all, but he's including them.

Blue book is blue book, and I can't justify spending more than than $4400 on it.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »
I completely agree. If he doesn't bend on price well there are many other bikes out there, this isn't the only fz6 out there.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2011, 10:03:56 PM »
Well, that's that.  He responded saying $4850 is as low as he can go.  I said come back in a month when you haven't sold it and I'll give you $4400.  In the meantime, I'm waiting for more bikes to show up on craigslist, but the pickings are very slim right now.  Here's a link to show you what's available.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »
What about that SV650F.

You don't see too many SV650's with fairings out there. They are great bikes and are a great competitor to the FZ6

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
I actually did a quick search last night for those and emailed a guy with this one.  Seems like a great deal!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2388746297.html

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »
That's a pretty damn good price for that bike.

SV650's are excellent bikes.

Let me know if you check it out, I wanna hear how it goes.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »
No response yet, but found this one. What do you think?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2390293208.html

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
See if he is flexible with the price, it's an 05 with 19k miles on it. Goodies or no goodies it's still too much IMO.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2011, 11:13:20 PM »
Looked outside the SF bay area craigslist area and found this bike outside of Sacramento. 

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2383525103.html

Other things from the email communication:

The last work I had done was at the Roseville Yamaha Dealership and they performed the 16,000 mile service that was almost an entire dis-assembly of the bike checking it from one end to the other and repacking all the bearings.  The bike has never been downed or in any kind of accident, however it has tipped off the kickstand twice in the last 5 years. That being said the underside of the engine and the left blinker/mirror have some very minor scratches on them. The worst damage is a very small piece of the ferring cracked by the left side mirror (approx 1 cm long by 0.5 cm wide at a joint) that isn't very visible. The rear seat grips have a small cosmetic mark on them from the plastic strap on my backpack that I'd wear while riding that would blow back and forth and rub the handles.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow for $3250.  :metal

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2011, 06:27:02 AM »
Let me know how it goes.

Post pics if you get it!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »
 :D  :metal

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2011, 04:04:35 AM »
Nice, I always liked the fazers. Looks both aggressive and comfortable!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »
Awesome, looks mint.

How do you like it so far, how is the ride?

Also, stay safe out there man

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2011, 02:24:32 PM »
Oh man I love it!!  It has a few scuffs here and there, but all in all, it's in great condition.  It has a little buzz that I feel through my feet around 5-6k RPM and if I go past that, I'm too busy paying attention to the blurred road to notice if it's gone! 

It's very comfortable, especially once I relaxed my arms and hands.  Rides very reserved if you short shift, otherwise it's a force to be reckoned with if you stick to the first 3 gears in city driving.   :o  Only stalled it a couple times at stop lights, but for the most part I'm getting used to the shorter friction zone on it. 

Also, I'm riding with full gear (except for pants)   :tup  I'll be getting a pair soon though, as my legs get a little chilly at night through the denim. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2011, 02:55:50 PM »
Are you doing leathers or textile?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »
I've got textile with patches of mesh for ventilation. It also has a removable thermal  liner. Hard shoulder and elbow armor and firm pads on the front and back.  For pants, I'm looking for protection as well as the ability to toss them over work pants (khaki pants).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2012, 10:43:30 AM »
Just got my Motorcycle Learner's permit today.

Now I just have to schedule the safety course to get my license. I'm very excited.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
Nice :tup, do you have a bike already?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2012, 11:08:19 AM »
Not yet, but I've started looking through cycle trader. I'm putting aside money here and there, so we'll see.

My Step-dad want's to do some road trips and said I could ride his Suzuki V-Strom, so that's plan B, if don't get a bike this summer.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »
What type of bike are you looking for. I want to get one when I get back from Europe so I've been keeping my eye out for bikes. Thing is the gf doesn't want me to have one :(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
That is a good question. I'm still debating sport-bike vs. Cruiser.

My dream bike would probably be a Fat-boy, but as a starter bike I'll probably go with something smaller. At the end of the day I'll probably have to hold off till I finish college to get one. But eventually...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:35:06 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2012, 11:40:43 AM »
All I've ever owned were sport-bikes however you can't really take long trips with them, at least I couldn't It would just be tiring beyond belief. I do like sport-touring bikes like the SV650.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
That SV650 looks very sweet and would probably be a decent compromise.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »
Yea they are fairly comfortable bikes, plenty of power, and they are cheaper because they aren't sportbikes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »
Today was one of the happiest days of my life.

I'm in the process of getting my License and today was the first day that we actually got to ride a bike for the safety course. This was my very first time and no words can describe how incredible the feeling was. I got to ride a Suzuki GZ 250.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
That was me 3 years ago. Great, isn't it? Congrats to you, and welcome to bikes. Let us know what you buy...I'm still loving my 600 Shadow.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »
So I have been saving up all summer and I can now buy a bike, but since we are now going into Fall, I wanted ask some advice about whether I should just wait until Spring to get one or would it be viable to get one now?

and the other thing I wanted to ask was about winter storage. I don't have access to a garage or shed or anything. It is alright to bungee cord a tarp over it?

I'm in the North East so our winters can be pretty nasty, so that's another factor.