Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72917 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »
SUPER BUMP

Just about a year later and I am just now making some progress.  I have the classroom portion of the MSF Course tonight with riding range next Tuesday and Wednesday.  :hat

Excellent, glad to hear you're making progress.

I've been bikeless for a little bit now (ever since my brother wrecked my old bike) but I'm starting to get the urge to ride again. I've already stopped and looked at a few bikes, a couple of R1's and a GSXR600.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »
*sigh* A couple years ago, my dad was going to use some saved cash + income tax return to buy a used Harley, and I was supposed to be given his Shadow... but my stepmother made him spend the money on her bills... bitch... and then he totaled it. (he had been riding for 30 years)... then he bought a nice Honda 1300... and well... he died doing what he loved...  anyways... since then I have been itching to get a bike... Will probably go with a Shadow... idk gotta do some research and get licensed. :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »
Sorry to hear that, man. It sounds like you're not letting that scare you out of riding. I'm really happy with my 600 Shadow...at least I was, hopefully nothing has changed. Since I just got my license last year and now have one season under my belt, I hope I'm not going to outgrow this one yet. A new one isn't in the cards for quite some time.
You should be able to find a really good deal on something. There are millions of used bikes for sale all the time, at least in my area.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
How much are you all paying for insurance?  I just spoke with my insurance agent (my aunt) to get a ballpark figure for when I get a bike.  I got a quote of about $2500/year.   :o

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
How much are you all paying for insurance?  I just spoke with my insurance agent (my aunt) to get a ballpark figure for when I get a bike.  I got a quote of about $2500/year.   :o

A little under $80 a month. Insurance laws on bikes in Florida are really lax though.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »
There must be something wrong, because I got another quote from Progressive with almost double the coverage and half the deductible for just over 1k a year.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
My 6 month policy is about $186. The monthly payments come out to around $30.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
There must be something wrong, because I got another quote from Progressive with almost double the coverage and half the deductible for just over 1k a year.

Some insurance companies are like that. When quoting my car insurance I was quoted nearly 2.5 the amount I pay at geico for the exact same coverage.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »
I have now completed the rider training course!  Perfect score on my evaluation.  :metal The instructor actually asked me, "Are you sure you've never ridden a motorcycle before?  Because you're a very good rider and it's very rare someone rides as well as you do their first time".   :hat

He agreed with the comments here that an SV650 or a YZF600R would be good starter bikes, and also recommended I check out the FZ6 and FZ1.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:20 AM »
Congrats, bro. Did you enjoy the course? Keep us posted when you get a bike!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 06:10:31 AM »
I have now completed the rider training course!  Perfect score on my evaluation.  :metal The instructor actually asked me, "Are you sure you've never ridden a motorcycle before?  Because you're a very good rider and it's very rare someone rides as well as you do their first time".   :hat

He agreed with the comments here that an SV650 or a YZF600R would be good starter bikes, and also recommended I check out the FZ6 and FZ1.

Congrats!

SV650 and 600RR are great bikes, I've owned a 600RR as my first bike years ago although you have to be careful with them, they can get away from you.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »
One thing he mentioned was not to be afraid of bikes with a larger engine simply because they're a large engine.  As long as you control the power, you're just as safe in a 250 as in a 1300.  His quote was, "You can go from 0 to hell just as fast in a 250 as in a 1300".

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »
GOT MY M1 LICENSE YESTERDAY!!  The lady correcting my written test was super nice (an actual human being!).  I missed 5 when I could only miss 4, but we talked about them and she understood my reasoning and let it slide. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
my bike

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »
I don't believe you.  I see no reference to Avatar anywhere in this picture.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
I have $4000 in accesory coverage plus full coverage for under $600/year from progressive. I also have replacement cost on everything, theft, higher personal injury coverage etc. I had to use it recently when I smacked into bambi in late September.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
One thing he mentioned was not to be afraid of bikes with a larger engine simply because they're a large engine.  As long as you control the power, you're just as safe in a 250 as in a 1300.  His quote was, "You can go from 0 to hell just as fast in a 250 as in a 1300".

While not being afraid of a bike's power is a good thing, the more powerful the bike, the easier it'll get away from you.

Big engine bikes are far less forgiving to mistakes in throttle control than a 500cc bike. The point of having a smaller bike is so it'll build the confidence to let you have something bigger in the future. Getting something big from the get go can be daunting because the line between enough throttle and too much is a lot thinner.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »
Very true.  I'm glad I decided to take the MSF Course before trying to ride, as I would have developed a couple bad habits.  Most notably, improper wrist position.  I started with a very generous overhand grip but was able to correct it quickly and it's now natural to hold it very low, giving me more control over the throttle. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »
MSF is great for anybody, I have an agreement with my little brother that I'll help him buy his first bike if he goes to MSF first, hell at his age it's required before he could get an endorsement.

As for riding bikes. I recently went to the Kawasaki riding even and I had a great day. I took the ZX-6R out, the ZX-10R and the 10R ABS. The 10R ABS has ABS brakes on it and it was the first bike I've ever ridden to have ABS. It was interesting to say the least but you could push the bike and under heavy braking there was a real big difference, it felt more fluid and you felt so much more in control.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:02:58 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
I should have had my dad take the MSF course with me.  He rode when he was younger, dirt bike then street bike, but never had a license.  It's up to my folks to let me get a bike while I'm still at home.  Their first reaction was "NO" but we haven't discussed it yet.  I want one NOW!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »
My mom wasn't too keen on me learning how to ride but I was able to convince to let me get a bike when I was in High School. Eventually she got used to the idea but was never comfortable with it, I remember how happy she was when I told her I sold my motorcycle in college.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »
Yeah, my mom wasn't happy when I signed up for the MSF course.  My mom will be the major holdout as well, though my dad (being a former rider) is also cautious because he is aware of the risk from firsthand experience. 

Back to motorcycle talk, what kind of riding do you do?  Leisure or commuting?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
When I was in High school it was all leisure riding, I didn't want to swim through the sea of idiots at the student parking lot so I drove my car.

In college it became a something I commuted with, it was just easier, motorcycle parking was all over campus and whereas driving my car would be a pain as I could only park at certain ends of campus and walk (UF's campus is pretty damn big)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
Well I think my dad is easing up on the idea of me getting a bike.  We talked a bit yesterday and he said make sure I sit on and ride the bikes first before I commit, and make sure the helmet I get is just right.  He also said I'm going about this whole process the right way, referring to taking the MSF course and everything. 

I found this bike on craigslist, but based on KBB values ($2300 trade-in, $3300 retail) sent him an email offering $3k as a starting point. 

I went to a shop today and sat on the '09 model and it felt great.  I definitely prefer the upright seating position.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »
Crazy that you're looking at the FZ6, I was just at the dealer yesterday looking at bikes.

The Kawasaki drive event really has me looking at some Ninja's but I really love the R6. I have nothing but great things to say about Yamaha's.

The higher seating position is much better for longer trips, way more comfortable. Also the FZ6 isn't a supersport bike so insurance will be cheaper (I think insurance classifies it as a sport touring bike).

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »
I drove a clutchless motorbike while I was staying in Argentina for about two months. It's pretty weird, on a car or bike, to shift without using a clutch. I had a hard time getting used to that.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »
Crazy that you're looking at the FZ6, I was just at the dealer yesterday looking at bikes.

The Kawasaki drive event really has me looking at some Ninja's but I really love the R6. I have nothing but great things to say about Yamaha's.

The higher seating position is much better for longer trips, way more comfortable. Also the FZ6 isn't a supersport bike so insurance will be cheaper (I think insurance classifies it as a sport touring bike).

I found this bike and got him down to $3600.  What should I look for when I take a look at it?  Part of the reason I got him to go down was mentioning that I'll probably need new tires, and a 6k mile service done on it.  Is this a good deal?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »
From what the crappy picture shows it looks like it was dropped at some speed not just a stationary drop. Scratches are bound to happen, but look for anything that is more than reasonable damage,.

Look at the tires, the chain, battery connectors (no corrosion), check the springs, check around the engine for any type of fluid leaks, check the fluids, and any cosmetic damage, verify the vin matches the title and the frame. Have him start it cold and see how it runs (I know it's fuel injected, to see how the battery cranks).

If you have a friend that is knowledgeable bring him and if he can, take it for a test ride although most people want cash in hand before test rides.

It looks like a good starting price on the bike. It won't hurt to take a look.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »
Yeah, I emailed back and asked if he would meet up at a shop to get a professional opinion on what it might need soon.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
Yeah, I emailed back and asked if he would meet up at a shop to get a professional opinion on what it might need soon.

Very good idea, let me know how it goes.

Also keep an eye out for a 600RR, it has a lower riding position but isn't as aggressive as a R6.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2011, 10:00:44 AM »
Well, the shop we were looking at won't be able to see it until middle/late next week, so that's out.  I'm hoping to have a friend of mine go with me instead.  In the meantime, I found this bike which seems in much better condition.  He's getting new tires today as well.  Seems high, even counting the extras, as he has double the estimated mileage on KBB.  Depending on the look/fit of the helmet and jacket, I may use that to lower the price down to 4300-4500.  I'm thinking this may be a better deal in the long run over that last bike.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »
Might be, hard to tell with no pics but it sounds like it's in great shape. Make sure he has the proper documentation for everything he has done to the bike.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »
me and my wife.

There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:49 PM »
Might be, hard to tell with no pics but it sounds like it's in great shape. Make sure he has the proper documentation for everything he has done to the bike.

Just got back from looking at it.  He bought it new and has never brought it in for service as he has changed the oil himself every 2k miles, kept the chain lubed, and had the brake fluid bled 1000 miles ago.  He had the tires replaced at a shop Saturday and had the documentation for that (Continental Sport-Touring). 

Bike is in perfect aesthetic condition and runs well too.  I rode it around the apartment complex parking lot and it shifted from 1st to 2nd fine.  Throttle felt loose at first, and I had to turn it a bit before it rev'd.  Brakes felt good and he said the front brakes are fine, but the rear ones are wearing out, but he's including the pads in the deal (hasn't had time to install).  He's throwing in new oil and oil pan as well.

He's also including gloves, helmet, and jacket.  All 3 fit, though the jacket doesn't quite go all the way down to my waist.  Good quality gear, and the retail price for all new was $450. 

Odometer is just above 13k with all the miles being commute miles to and from South San Francisco (about a 45 minute drive).  He's a 30-35 year old software programmer for Walmart.com and hasn't abused it on the road.

Now we get to price...  KBB retail is $4390 and trade-in is $3015.  I said the most I could offer was $4500 and he said no, he's looking for $5k (his original craigslist amount).  What do you think?  Is it worth it?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 07:54:05 AM »
I think $4500 is a very fair deal but I wouldn't give him the full $5k for the bike. I don't know how it is in California but here in Florida there is no shortage of bikes and you really have your pick.

You sound like you're set on the FZ6 so I wouldn't really expect to see any FZ6 that is as beat on as a supersport bike. Sounds like this guy wants his money for his gear on top of the price of the bike. Is he dead set on selling it as a package? I personally don't like wearing used motorcycle gear that I didn't buy for myself. You don't know what kind of hidden fractures are in the helmet, or tears in the jacket that you may not of seen.

If I were you, I'd probably pass on it. Check out cycle trader, also call some dealerships. Dealerships will usually haggle on the price or at least will throw in some gear.