Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72932 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Motorcycle Thread
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
I just got my learner's permit, and I'm going to start off with my girlfriend's Honda Shadow since now is not the time for me to buy a motorcycle.
How many riders do we have here, and what do you have?
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:31:42 PM »
I've been riding for 5 years (since I was 18). A Honda Shadow is a great starter bike and since your girlfriend rides have her show you the basics. Go to a parking lot and practice doing slow maneuvers, shifting, parking and the works.

Take the MSF class, the class teaches in valuable techniques in riding a motorcycle and in some states it's required to get a license if you're under 18 years old, not to mention it'll lower your insurance rates.

My first bike was a Yamaha 600RR, basically a detuned R6. Had a great time learning on this bike as sports bikes were always my interest. My neighbor ended up totaling it a few days before I moved to college. I kept the insurance money for school instead of buying a new bike

I then bought a Honda CBR600 F2 for $900, the seller didn't know what he was selling and he thought the motor was shot when really it was just flooded. I pulled and cleaned the carbs as well as did a full service on the bike, rode it for a year before I sold it for $1800.

As of now I'm looking at an 08 GSXR 600 or an 08 R6, something to ride for this upcoming summer and something to take down to Miami.

Be safe man, it's crazy as hell out there on a motorcycle and thank god I never had to lay any of my bikes down but I've seen take a spill and it's scary as hell.

Also, one more thing, WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!!!, spend the money and get breathable gear that is comfortable, if it's not comfortable you won't wear it. Don't be a squid and wear your gear (not just your helmet)

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:38:47 PM »
Yeah, my safety course starts in 3 weeks. If you pass it you get your license right on the spot, and since the class if free, it's stupid not to take it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »
Wow, that sounds sweet, when I did MSF, it was a 3 day class that I had to pay $170 for.

It was well worth it.

What type of motorcycle are you looking to work your way up to?

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
I don't know yet. Right now the Shadow looks really cool to me. My ex-bass player has one too, and something about them makes me want to ride it. It's just an appealing bike to me. I don't know if I'll ever step up to a Harley, but if so I like Dyna WideGlides and Softails are pretty cool looking too. That's about the extent of what I know I like. I know I'm stepping into a whole new world, though, so there will be lots of things I'll see that I'll love and don't like.
What I do know is that I don't need anything powerful. I just want something nice to look at and dependable that I can just hop on, go and enjoy. A 750 is just fine with me. A friend at work said I should look at the Buell Blast to start out (500cc), but I saw a few pics and I don't like them at all. I love the price, I'm okay with the cc's, but I think they're ugly.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:48:35 PM »
My take on it is find a bike you like in terms of looks, then look for one that is comfortable.

I love sport bikes personally but as I get older I'm looking into more cruisers (I'm partial to Yamaha). Sport bikes are fun for a few hours out but you get tired as hell riding them and they will take a toll on your body unless you install some clip-ons.

I may compromise with a sport touring bike, besides the GSXR I'm looking at a nice SV650F

I may just get a new bike, thanks to the economy you can grab 08 models with 0 miles from the show room for dirt cheap.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »
My boyfriend rides year-round (even in winter...he has heated gear).

He has three bikes, but his main bike is a Triumph.  And I was so excited because it was so beautiful this weekend we got to go on our first ride of the season :) (Yes, I only ride with him when it's nice out  :lol)

He also has a Honda XR and a Ducati Monster...which he actually just got the Ducati back running today...he had to do a whole bunch of work to it and it's been out of commission for almost two years.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »
*drool* I want a Ducati Monster so badly. I'd be worried about the maintenance though :/

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 07:32:41 PM »
*drool* I want a Ducati Monster so badly. I'd be worried about the maintenance though :/

Well...my boyfriend's of that particular breed that thinks he can fix shit on his own and winds up messing it up even more...otherwise I don't think the maintenance is any different from a normal bike.  But I don't really know a whole lot about that kind of stuff so I could be wrong.

I'm just glad he got the Triumph because it's much more comfortable for me to ride on with him. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »
Well I did all the maintenance on my Yamaha and I went through a few engine rebuilds on my Honda so I'm pretty skilled around bikes and I own a bunch of tools. I've spoken with a few Ducati owners and they told me regular maintenance is a bitch, like working on an Audi versus a Ford. I still want one though, if the perfect used one comes up here and it's in my price range I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from getting one.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:45 PM »
I've ridden a few times. I mostly just watch racing though. My dad has his own (pretty damn successful) race team

www.hhracing.net

I used to love helping out with the spanners.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:37:20 PM »
I've been riding since 94'.  At that time, I bought a Honda Shadow 600 and took an intermediate rider course.  I grew out of that bike pretty fast and a year later, traded it in for a 95' Honda Magna 4 cylinder.  That was a pretty fast bike for being a cruiser.  Then, I took the advanced rider course.  After not riding it for about 6 months, I decided to sell it.  Didn't ride again until I bought an 02' Honda CBR 600 F4i.  When that thing hit the powerband, I could barely hang onto it!!  Still have it, but I hardly ever ride so it sits in the garage just looking pretty damn quick.  What's so impressive about it more than the speed, is the way it corners.  You can lean that thing over and it sticks the turns like it's on rails.  I'm a pretty big guy so it's a bit small for me and I can't go 50 miles without taking a rest.  I haven't riden in about a year, so I don't know what I'll do next, but motorcycles are more fun on the open road.  Not so much in the city though.

Ride on!   :metal
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
I found that the f4i was extremely uncomfortable but a great looking bike (my personal taste of course). I love the way 600 and 750's corner, sure the liter bikes are way faster in a straight line but the smaller bikes are so damn nimble.

Having said that, I will never forget the day I took my buddy's Hayabusa out for ride. Jesus christ, the power behind that bike is unbelievable, I couldn't imagine dealing with that type of power day to day, although I'm sure you get used to it.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:34:08 AM »
Yeah, most sport bikes aren't built for comfort but they usually make up for it in performance.  The F4i is light and small (370 lbs).  Then, they came out with the 600RR which is even lighter and would eat the F4i for lunch.  I can't even imagine the 900RR or Hayabusa powerbands.  My bike redlines at 14.2k.  I don't know what kind of RPM's they're gettin' out of bikes now days.  Crazy.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »
Do yourself a favor and take a ride on some of the liter bikes out there, they are mindblowing.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
Do yourself a favor and take a ride on some of the liter bikes out there, they are mindblowing.

I remember my dad taking me out on the back of his kawasaki ZX-12R. That thing accelerates so fast you sort of lose a grip on reality!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
NOW, you have to go get a copy of Joe Satriani's "The Extremist" and crank "Motorcycle Driver" at full blast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmlN27a1f4

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »
I've always wanted a bike, ever since riding my friend's minibike when I was a kid. It was a 3 speed (no clutch) that topped out at 40, but it was so much fun.  Never could get one under my parents roof, however, in the next couple years, I'll be thinking of getting one. What would you recommend as a good starter sport bike? 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »
It really depends, there are many schools of thought on this.

Personally I think if you're responsible and level headed you can start off on an older 600 (something like an early to mid 90's Suzuki GSXR or Honda CBR series 600's) they are solid bikes and are pretty cheap and easy to maintain and keep up. Stay away from newer fuel injected 600's, they are a lot quicker and will get you into trouble pretty quickly if you're not careful.

Don't buy new, stats show you're going to put it down and nothing is worse then laying your brand new bike down.

If you find that you don't want a 600, look at the Suzuki GS500F or Kawasaki 500, those are great bikes that get great gas mileage, they aren't dull either, they'll make it to 90 mph. If you look at GS500, look for a non-F model, those are naked bikes so if it does go down there will be less to scratch, although you'll lose some of that sports bike look IMO.

Try to get someone who knows motorcycles to go shopping when you're looking at something used, hold out, there are gems out there and don't fall for the first bike out there. Check the vin number on the frame and have the owner ride it to make sure it rides straight, look for any leaks or knocks. Check out the condition of the chain, the condition of the tires and make sure it shifts into every gear without issue.

Check the forums of the respective motorcycle, they will give you a ton of information on possible bikes that you're looking at as well as known issues.

That is all I can think of, I'll post some more info.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:16:01 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »
6'3" 200 lbs.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
6'3" 200 lbs.

You're a taller guy so sit on a lot of bikes and find on that is comfortable, most sport bikes are built for power first, then comfort. Check out the SV650 line of bikes from Suzuki as well, they are powerful but not overpowering, the come in naked and fairing models, and will be cheaper on insurance because they don't fall under the sportbike classification.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »
6'3" 200 lbs.

You're a taller guy so sit on a lot of bikes and find on that is comfortable, most sport bikes are built for power first, then comfort. Check out the SV650 line of bikes from Suzuki as well, they are powerful but not overpowering, the come in naked and fairing models, and will be cheaper on insurance because they don't fall under the sportbike classification.

Yeah, I don't want to pay more for insurance than I have to. For my first bike, I'm not really looking for something new and flashy, just a style that I'm comfortable with that I won't mind getting scratches on (I probably will drop it, being a noob).

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
I stick by older 600's, they're fun, they still look good if well taken care of and have plenty of power for a first timer. Insurance is cheap on them too.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »
I'd love to get a motorcycle at some point, but I'm not gonna have the chance for at least a few more years.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
Once you start riding, it's super addicting, the weather is so perfect here in FL. I'm going to get on by the end of April, once I get back from New York.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »
6'3" 200 lbs.

I'm 6'3" also and my legs get tired pretty damn quick on my 600.  Short distances aren't too bad though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 03:56:18 PM »
Oh another great bike is the Yamaha 600RR, it's less powerful then the R6 and has a higher riding position that may be more comfortable to you.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 05:06:16 PM »
I just got my bike about two weeks ago! It's a '99 Honda Shadow VLX600 with pretty low mileage and super clean. I got a really good deal on it, and yeah, Reaper, it is super addicting. Once I get on it I don't want to get off. It's just an amazing feeling. Here's a pic of it...

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 05:20:49 PM »
Nice!  I actually might be taking an MSF course next week.  Apparently my folks aren't as against it as I thought.  My mom went so far as to say "You're young and single, go for it!"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »
I just got my bike about two weeks ago! It's a '99 Honda Shadow VLX600 with pretty low mileage and super clean. I got a really good deal on it, and yeah, Reaper, it is super addicting. Once I get on it I don't want to get off. It's just an amazing feeling. Here's a pic of it...

Beautiful bike and clean, take care of it and it'll go for miles and miles.

Nice!  I actually might be taking an MSF course next week.  Apparently my folks aren't as against it as I thought.  My mom went so far as to say "You're young and single, go for it!"

Go for it, my parents were cautious but knew I was going to be level headed. You'll love the MSF class and you'll learn a lot of great skills there.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 06:41:04 PM »
Here's my bike. It's a 99 Harley Dyna WideGlide I customozied pretty much everything

*Damn photobucket to hell
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:06:34 PM by YtseJam »

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
Wow. Awesome bike!
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »
SUPER BUMP

Just about a year later and I am just now making some progress.  I have the classroom portion of the MSF Course tonight with riding range next Tuesday and Wednesday.  :hat

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
Awesome! Good luck. Just remember to relax and enjoy the whole program. You'll be fine.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »
650gs Dakar here.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek