Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72939 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #735 on: August 15, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
I tightened my chain yesterday and it took all of 3 minutes probably. The axle is nowhere near all the way extended.

But I do need a new chain as it happens as I said there is a tight spot in it.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: August 15, 2020, 09:40:12 AM »
Have you tried chain wax go loosen it? Or is it an issue with the pin?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: August 15, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »

Well I grease my chain (stop giggling at the back!) quite regularly so I doubt it's that.

It's worse when the chain is tight so I leave it a little bit loose. It's stretching quite quickly now compared to new - so I'll probably order a new one soon.

The trouble is - I don't ride in the winter at all unless I have to - and my job finishes in October so maybe i'll just wait.

Or get a £15 chain just to get me to next spring instead of the £50 that lasts a lot longer but i won't be using much come Autumn.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #738 on: August 15, 2020, 05:12:18 PM »

Well I grease my chain (stop giggling at the back!) quite regularly so I doubt it's that.

It's worse when the chain is tight so I leave it a little bit loose. It's stretching quite quickly now compared to new - so I'll probably order a new one soon.

The trouble is - I don't ride in the winter at all unless I have to - and my job finishes in October so maybe i'll just wait.

Or get a £15 chain just to get me to next spring instead of the £50 that lasts a lot longer but i won't be using much come Autumn.

So do you mind me asking what model Zontes you have? I was doing a some research on the bike.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: August 16, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »
It's a Tiger 125cc

I've ridden well over 30,000 miles on it in 3 years and it's only had one major problem in that time.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #740 on: August 16, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »
It's a Tiger 125cc

I've ridden well over 30,000 miles on it in 3 years and it's only had one major problem in that time.

Curious question - what are the laws regarding licensing vs. size of motorcycle? I thought that some places across the pond had pretty hard restrictions.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: August 16, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »
I have to do a CBT ( compulsory basic training ) every 2 years. It costs around £150 which is fine as that pays for the whole day.

You basically just prove you are competent and confident on the road and can control the bike and do all the basic and emergency manoeuvres.

For that you need a provisional driving license - which means you can only ride a 125cc motorbike with L plates on.

Which does not bother me one iota since my Tiger can go 80 on a good day and the speed limit is 60.

I never hold anyone up behind me and I can keep up with traffic.

I've tried my Dad's 600cc Yamaha Diversion and I don't feel safe on big bikes at all.

Plus the amount of times people on superbikes have overtaken me on a hairpin bend is ridiculous. You have no idea if anything is coming - and if it is - you're fucked.

I basically don't want that ability in my quiver so to speak.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: August 17, 2020, 07:19:07 AM »
Ok so doing some more planning I came across this: https://www.cascadeloop.com/ I think I'm going to book the tickets to Seattle today or tomorrow. Prices for next year June are $266 round trip and Seattle has a lot more motorcycle rental options than portland, not to mention this ride looks amazing.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #743 on: August 17, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »
Ok so doing some more planning I came across this: https://www.cascadeloop.com/ I think I'm going to book the tickets to Seattle today or tomorrow. Prices for next year June are $266 round trip and Seattle has a lot more motorcycle rental options than portland, not to mention this ride looks amazing.

That looks awesome. Do you have an idea of what bike you would want to rent when you get there?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #744 on: August 17, 2020, 09:25:40 AM »
I have to do a CBT ( compulsory basic training ) every 2 years. It costs around £150 which is fine as that pays for the whole day.

You basically just prove you are competent and confident on the road and can control the bike and do all the basic and emergency manoeuvres.

For that you need a provisional driving license - which means you can only ride a 125cc motorbike with L plates on.

Which does not bother me one iota since my Tiger can go 80 on a good day and the speed limit is 60.

I never hold anyone up behind me and I can keep up with traffic.

I've tried my Dad's 600cc Yamaha Diversion and I don't feel safe on big bikes at all.

Plus the amount of times people on superbikes have overtaken me on a hairpin bend is ridiculous. You have no idea if anything is coming - and if it is - you're fucked.

I basically don't want that ability in my quiver so to speak.

So if you want to go to a bigger bike, do the requirements differ? I thought I heard that Germany requires you start on a lower cc bike for so many years and then you can go to the next size and of course pay more money. Here in the States you just have to pass the written and riding test and you can get as big of a bike that you want. It's not uncommon to hear of new riders crashing after buying their first bike.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: August 17, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »

That looks awesome. Do you have an idea of what bike you would want to rent when you get there?

Note sure, eagleride has a bunch of bikes for rent. They have a BMW 1200GS for rent and I've always wanted to ride one. If you go here https://www.eaglerider.com/ you can see what's avaiable. The Yamaha Super Tenere looks neat and they have a few Harley's. I'm sure after doing roadtrips on my R6 anything will be more comfortable.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #746 on: August 17, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »

Sweet! When the time is right, you should start a new thread and keep it updated ride vicariously through you.   ;D
Note sure, eagleride has a bunch of bikes for rent. They have a BMW 1200GS for rent and I've always wanted to ride one. If you go here https://www.eaglerider.com/ you can see what's avaiable. The Yamaha Super Tenere looks neat and they have a few Harley's. I'm sure after doing roadtrips on my R6 anything will be more comfortable.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #747 on: August 17, 2020, 11:49:23 AM »

No doubt

and speaking of supersports, I took the CBR out for the first since February today. I found a place that did oil changes/inspections that is 25mins away and I can use all beautiful backroads to get there. When I got on the CBR, I was like "damn, I actually used to take this thing on day trips?  :lol"

Made me really appreciate the comfort of the Harley.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: August 17, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »

So if you want to go to a bigger bike, do the requirements differ? I thought I heard that Germany requires you start on a lower cc bike for so many years and then you can go to the next size and of course pay more money. Here in the States you just have to pass the written and riding test and you can get as big of a bike that you want. It's not uncommon to hear of new riders crashing after buying their first bike.

Yes. You need to do another test - and I asked about the test I could do to ride my 125cc without L plates, take a passenger or go on motorways and it was stupid money.

Even more reason to stick to the CBT.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #749 on: September 11, 2020, 01:25:38 PM »
Just got new hard mounted saddlebags and a backrest/luggage rack installed and they are working out great. I feel very comfortable going super long distance with this set up.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: September 11, 2020, 04:04:31 PM »
Looks great! How many highway miles does a tank get you?

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #751 on: September 11, 2020, 04:58:24 PM »
If I can be extra careful when filling and get the gas filled totally to the top, it will go 210 miles on one tank, which works fantastic.

And on a side note, at some point in the next few months I'm gonna try and do the Stage II Harley upgrade which would add new Cams and its supposed to have a nice boost in power.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 05:18:00 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: September 11, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »
I have a 15 litre tank I think...

If I fill the tank to brimming I can do around 350kilometres or 210 miles and that's around £15.

Work is 32 km away so 64 km a day. I need to fill up around once a week.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #753 on: September 12, 2020, 07:46:06 AM »
Bike looks great!

You know, Harley's are very reliable machines but it's when you get beyond the Stage 1 kits and start messing the cams that people run into reliability issues. I had a friend that used to declare that we should be buying CVOs for all the money we put into the bikes after we get them.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #754 on: October 10, 2020, 12:30:19 PM »
Finally sold the CBR600 today.

Bought it for 7k and sold it for 4000, which I'm happy with. It had been in a significant accident after all. And For the time being I'm not messing around with having two bike again until I get a house with a garage.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: October 10, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »
That's a good price, was there any visible accident damage on the bike?

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #756 on: October 10, 2020, 03:20:45 PM »
No visible damage what so ever, but here's the funny part.

I'm like less than 10 mins from the place and decide to do one last 100mph+ rip on the bike and I look down after, and the damn right mirror is hanging off  :lol

Top bolt came loose apparently and flew out, but they didn't even mention it.

I'm already missing it honestly, but I just never had a chance to ride it. And the extra cash was needed. Oh well

I definitely plan on getting another performance bike with-in the next few years, and it probably will be electric.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: October 10, 2020, 05:25:30 PM »
I go through the same phases. I want another bike, I'll never part with my R6 but I barely ride my R6 as it is. I also want a weekend car, but I rarely drive my current car. I think I like the thrill of riding/driving something different. I was in Philly this past weekend and I had a rental corolla and no joke I was thrilled to get in and drive it because it was different. I feel the same way about bikes.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #758 on: October 10, 2020, 05:42:23 PM »
Oh damn, you were in Philly? if you ever around the area again and want to meet up, message me.

For the next bike I am really interested in the Damon electric bike:

200 mile range, 200 hp and 200 mph. And it has an adjustable riding position as well. No mirrors since it has an always on rear camera.

Either that or the Street Triple is catching my eye as well.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #759 on: October 10, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
Just got new hard mounted saddlebags and a backrest/luggage rack installed and they are working out great. I feel very comfortable going super long distance with this set up.

Sexcellent! Wait...didn't you have saddlebags before?

I got my first pair of saddlebags last month. It's very nice not having to wear a backpack all the time now.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #760 on: October 10, 2020, 05:48:16 PM »

I got my first pair of saddlebags last month. It's very nice not having to wear a backpack all the time now.

Yeah, they were the throw over style and the bracket that they rested against somehow ended up going under the belt cover and bending/breaking it. Then I got different brackets that were too wide  :P

Finally I got fed up and just ended up getting Harley brand, hard mounted (quick release) bags, and I couldn't be happier.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #761 on: October 10, 2020, 05:54:51 PM »

Yeah, they were the throw over style and the bracket that they rested against somehow ended up going under the belt cover and bending/breaking it. Then I got different brackets that were too wide  :P

Finally I got fed up and just ended up getting Harley brand, hard mounted (quick release) bags, and I couldn't be happier.

Shit. That happened while you were riding? Sounds very scary.

I got my bags from Leather Pros. They were expensive but they did not require relocation of the rear signals. They are very easy to take off and put back on.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #762 on: October 10, 2020, 06:07:26 PM »
Yeah, it was really crappy. Sounded like tin foil crumpling as I was riding. Thank god it didn't hit the belt

So nice not to deal with that anymore

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: October 11, 2020, 03:33:58 PM »
Oh damn, you were in Philly? if you ever around the area again and want to meet up, message me.

For sure man, my wife works for a company out in Bethlehem so I tag along on work trips from time to time.

I don't think I've even heard of the Damon bike

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #764 on: October 14, 2020, 10:31:55 AM »
I'm still lusting for a V-Strom 650. There's a new one nearby at a very good price in the trim and color I want. However, I lost my registration and I've been waiting over a month for a copy. I lost the original right after I received it in the mail.

Motorcycle registration copies cannot be acquired online and they are not allowing people into the NY DMV if whatever you want can be gotten via mail.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #765 on: November 26, 2020, 05:44:36 PM »
There was a rumor earlier this year that Honda was going to use the Africa Twin engine in a Rebel 1100. That rumor has become true.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/honda-rebel-1100-first-look/

It's kinda cool. I'm not a fan of the way these bikes look but I'm sure lots of people are going to have fun on them. I'd rather they put out an 1100 or 1300 Shadow with six gears and a bigger tank.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #766 on: November 27, 2020, 05:10:46 AM »
Very cool. The rebel has always been a sweet bike and the extra power is great.

In other news, Yamaha has discontinued the R6. Perhaps my favorite bike  :'(

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: November 27, 2020, 06:43:47 AM »
What!?!?!? No more R6? That has always been my favorite bike

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #768 on: November 27, 2020, 06:48:51 AM »
https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/11/article/yamaha-yzf-r6-discontinued-after-2020/

Sad but true. Only got to ride one once, but I absolutely loved it.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: November 27, 2020, 06:50:13 AM »
What a bummer, I guess it makes sense. I have never seen a new R6 in the wild, it's always 2016 and earlier.