Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72918 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #280 on: November 28, 2018, 09:08:01 PM »
I haven't tried heated gloves personally, but my friend raves about them.

My leather jacket is from a company called First and its got the woven-in winter thermal liner and when I zip it all the way up, this thing kicks ass in cold whether, and I am talking about just wearing a T-shirt underneath. Now, if its gonna be like 40 or less, then I will throw a hoody on under the jacket and I ready to rock.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #281 on: November 28, 2018, 09:15:08 PM »
I haven't tried heated gloves personally, but my friend raves about them.

My leather jacket is from a company called First and its got the woven-in winter thermal liner and when I zip it all the way up, this thing kicks ass in cold whether, and I am talking about just wearing a T-shirt underneath. Now, if its gonna be like 40 or less, then I will throw a hoody on under the jacket and I ready to rock.

I think I'm good on the jacket. If the temperature is going to be under 40, then I'll wear thermal underpants. I also have a cool ninja mask type thing for my neck. My feet get cold but they feel ok. My hands are the parts that suffer :( I'm not a mechanically-inclined being so I don't want to bother with plugging heated stuff into the battery.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2018, 04:50:23 AM »
I'm getting excited for this weekend, the weather should be in the 70's so I'll be able to enjoy a ride.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #283 on: November 29, 2018, 05:23:47 AM »
Me too. Sunday is supposed to be real nice out. I am so ready to take the bike out.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #284 on: November 29, 2018, 12:23:03 PM »
It's around 45 degrees here in Munchkinland so I rode the bike to my dentist appointment. If only it didn't get colder than 45!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #285 on: December 01, 2018, 04:24:52 PM »
Well, I'm getting the liter bike bug up my ass again. I would love to do a test ride of a CBR 1000RR at some point. Still lovin the 600RR, but I just like to check out different stuff.

Its a shame its not spring yet, because I can't wait for the Demo days, so I can try out a bunch of new bikes

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: December 03, 2018, 06:13:58 PM »
So I’m starting to get the itch for another bike again. I’m thinking I may take a different approach. I may buy a salvage title bike from an auction an rebuild it if the price is right. I’ve had good experience with it in the past.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #287 on: December 03, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
That would be awesome. I would love to see pictures as the project progresses.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #288 on: December 12, 2018, 11:37:01 AM »
No More Busa

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/11/suzuki-hayabusa-production-ends/

Now I'm not one that would have bought one, but it is a pretty legendary bike so its sad to see it go.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: December 13, 2018, 04:43:19 PM »
End of an era. I got to drive a busa once and it’s a fantastic bike. I completely understand why it’s a great touring bike it had torque for days.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2018, 07:09:37 AM »
Well that's good.

My whole understanding of the situation is that the European Union wanted stricter emissions standards and suzuki ran the numbers and were like "yeah, screw it. we just won't sell in the EU anymore". But at least they can still be bought in the US for the time being.

I definitely will try one out once the demo days start back up in the spring. I'm a twisties kind of guy, so a busa isn't really for me as a Main.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: December 17, 2018, 05:20:24 AM »
After seeing your post I immediately thought "I should get a busa" lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #293 on: December 17, 2018, 05:51:57 AM »
We should all get busas  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: December 17, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »
Wait! What if we put the majesty symbol on the side instead of the kanji symbol?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #295 on: December 17, 2018, 06:07:41 PM »
Oh, I think that would be a must  :lol

In other news, took the bike out today. It was cold, which I usually don't mind, but it rained all day yesterday so all the back roads were soaked and there was debris everywhere, so it got a bit hairy. I had to really watch my ass, but Other wise it was decent

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #296 on: December 17, 2018, 09:47:47 PM »
Cool. Which area of The Land are you in?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #297 on: December 18, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »
North East US. I'm going to keep it somewhat general for the time being.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #298 on: December 18, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
North East US. I'm going to keep it somewhat general for the time being.

Are you going to ride during the winter? This will be my first time owning a bike during winter so I'll take any tips!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #299 on: December 18, 2018, 10:55:08 AM »
I'm definitely going to keep riding during the winter. Here goes my rundown from what I have experienced so far. And I'm sure Reaper will have some solid insight as well.

General thoughts

-The sun makes a HUGE difference. A 40 degree day can feel a million times better when its nice and sunny vs overcast
-less wind the better. Monday had 18Mph winds and OMG did I feel it. Less windier days make you feel less cold 
-Dry is good. It rained a lot on sunday so a lot of the streets were still wet yesterday. Wet means less traction and more danger, so use caution
-When the ground is cold, the tire has less traction/grip with the road so go a little bit slower than usual 
-Different people have different tolerances of cold. If you don't feel comfortable while out, don't force yourself to go out or stay out. Riding takes a lot of focus to keep yourself safe, so being comfortable makes it easier to focus and stay safe. 

-You'll see on the back of my bike, I have that little bag. That thing is a life saver and offers versatility. If the day warms up, I can take the hoody off an throw it in there, and I also have my summer gloves in there, so I can switch things up.

Clothing and gear 

This is what works for me personally

-Full faced helmet. being able to put the face shield down makes your face feel comfortably warm imo.  (I have a Shoei RF 1200)
- Full leather jacket that zips all the way up to the neck (Blocks the cold air great)
- Hooded sweatshirt under the leather jacket
- I wear Drayko jeans, which are lined with Kevlar material (bullet proof vest stuff) and this insulates great and they feel just like regular jeans
- Riding boots
- Dedicated cold weather gloves (mine are sedici)

With all that gear, I can ride comfortably and have great ride. I did try out a bunch of different stuff though before settling on that set up.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »
From your description of the weather over the past couple days, it sounds like we're practically neighbors  ;)

Do you use any heated gear? Edit: Nevermind. You already mentioned the gear you have on the top of this page.

I bought some Tourmaster Heated Gloves and they really don't help much when the temperature is in the 30s. I'm thinking of getting heated grips too. I already have a good riding coat and a modular helmet. I wear a ninja-type mask underneath and my face, neck, & torso feel fine when the temperature is in the 20s.

I rode to work last Friday and Saturday and didn't even need to turn on the heated gloves. It was cloudy both days but the humidity was up and the temperature was in the 40s. Very nice!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:20:58 PM by Herrick »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
Phoenix did a great job covering everything. Usually 40 is about as cold as I can ride at and even then I won’t be out long. You do have to be careful with cold asephalt it can be as slippery as wet asphalt.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »
Today I got to ride a Harley for the very first time. My friend traded in his Ninja 650 and got a 2008 Harley Super Glide.

I got to ride it back to his place and it was pretty cool. Maybe my expectations were too high, but it was just ok. It makes me so happy that I ended up going with a super sport. The CBR 600 is surgical and precise. Intense and responds instantly to input. That's what I like when I ride. For lack of a better word, the harley was really good at just cruising.

And one thing I will say, now that I have finally ridden a harley, is that their bikes are absolutely overpriced. What I rhode today was not worth the money, plain and simple. The 2019 low rider is going for 15 grand. I'm interested in that bike, but I would pay maybe 8 grand. maybe.   

Harley continues to not do that great financially and they just announced the Live wire (their electric bike) would be 30 thousand dollars. They are truly insane. I don't want to see them go under, but I think now is a crucial time that they need to make changes if they are gonna survive.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:43:48 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2019, 05:45:21 PM »
Hmm...I was looking for a midsize cruiser and HD didn't really have anything I liked the looks of. Their heavier cruisers are too much money for me and well...too heavy. If I ever graduate to something heavier and more powerful then it likely won't be an HD. But who knows?

HD is going to make non-cruiser bikes so that should help them out a bit but they really need to price them competitively.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: February 05, 2019, 09:05:17 PM »
Yea HD bikes are way overpriced. They even say it themselves, you're paying for the lifestyle.

I got my bike started this past weekend. The weather was nice enough for a ride. In the coming weeks I have to replace the brake fluid, do an oil change and change out my low beam light.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2019, 05:45:43 AM »
Hmm...I was looking for a midsize cruiser and HD didn't really have anything I liked the looks of. Their heavier cruisers are too much money for me and well...too heavy. If I ever graduate to something heavier and more powerful then it likely won't be an HD. But who knows?

HD is going to make non-cruiser bikes so that should help them out a bit but they really need to price them competitively.

What do you think about the Low rider:

That's the one I am saving for, but its definitely gonna be used. And I totally agree that anything heavier is too much. I had wanted a Fat Boy since I was a kid, but its just not the feel that I am looking for. I'm 5' 11'' and 160 pounds and the Wide glide and low rider fit like a glove.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2019, 07:21:01 AM »

What do you think about the Low rider:

That's the one I am saving for, but its definitely gonna be used. And I totally agree that anything heavier is too much. I had wanted a Fat Boy since I was a kid, but its just not the feel that I am looking for. I'm 5' 11'' and 160 pounds and the Wide glide and low rider fit like a glove.

Funny you're asking me about the Low Rider! I ended up taking a more serious look at it soon after I posted. I like that it has a 5 gallon tank and it's only a 120 lbs more than my Honda Shadow Phantom. I'm not a huge fan of all that Low Rider chrome though. I'll check out some video reviews on the Low Rider. I only just bought the Honda last September and it was new. I don't plan on getting another bike any time soon.

I also like the Indian Scout but I wish there was something comparable in size and weight with a bigger gas tank.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
Yeah now I'm looking into the Softail Slim.

After looking at many cruisers I can see how Harley Davidson can charge so much. There really aren't a shitload of choices like there are with cars or guitars and basses. There just aren't many options when it comes to new cruisers when it comes to weight, power, looks, & gas tank capacity.

Don't like the cruisers Suzuki has to offer. Honda's Stateline is heavier than I want, and Kawaski's Vulcan 900 doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade over my Honda Shadow Phantom. Indian has a huge fucking gap between their Scout and Chief line.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #308 on: February 28, 2019, 04:23:21 AM »
The Softail slim is pretty cool. That would be a very decent bike to get.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #309 on: March 01, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »
Yeah mang. Maybe one day. "I got fiiiiive kids to feed" (bills) so I'm not seriously looking into another bike. Sheeeit, I only started riding last September and I like my Honda Shadow Phantom. That thing is way more exciting than my Subaru Forester.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: March 02, 2019, 07:13:46 AM »
I jsut checked that softail out and it's a really nice bike!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #311 on: March 16, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »
Reaper, how much do you pay for insurance for the R6?

The CBR 600 is running me around $55 a month, which is up from around $15 a month for the sv650

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »
I have it bundled with my two cars so it's pretty cheap, $57 a month. How old are you Phoenix??

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »

sounds you're paying around the same as me. Makes me glad I didn't buy a 2nd bike. At least not until the student loans are paid off.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »
Ha you're the same age as me with a sport bike lol. My insurance was a lot more back when I was in Florida, one of the few benefits of moving NC is that insurance rates are lowe .