Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73940 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
Oh boy congrats! That is such a great bike. The powerband is so smooth, especially for a sport bike. You're going to have so much fun. Love the black!

What tires are you running?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »
Thanks.

I think I have Michelin's on there. They're practically brand new, which is a plus. And i forgot to mention, the bike only had 2600 miles on it so it feels brand new. I just installed the ram mount for my phone today, so I can use the GPS. So I plan on adventuring all over the place.  ;D

As a matter of fact, the adventuring started today. Did about 3 hours in the Valley all day today. It was SPECTACULAR. My heart is still racing from the fun I had.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:57:35 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2018, 08:59:41 PM »
Nice man! Congrats again! What's the temperature out there?

I haven't been riding much because the weather in Charlotte has been brutal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #213 on: July 19, 2018, 04:29:12 AM »
Oh man, that sucks. I could only imagine.

I've been pretty lucky. Its been averaging around low to mid 80's which is fantastic. There was one day back in early July when I dared to ride at 97 degrees. Not doing that again  :lol      90 and lower is great for me.

I guess this is a good chance to talk about gear. The full faced Shoei helmet is excellent and has the ventilation holes, but I got some riding sunglasses which are wind proof, so now I ride with the visor up all the time and its sooo good. Its really a game changer. The leather jacket I have is like brando style so the way its cut, wind will go through and ventilate the whole thing. It feels great, even at 90 degrees.

Now the riding jeans, which I've been dying to talk about. I got Drayko riding jeans. check these out:

The look and feel like just regular jeans, but here's what's awesome. They are lined with Kevlar, the bullet proof vest stuff and they feel great. You don't even notice the extra material inside. And temp wise, they are fine for any day its less than 90 degrees out. The gloves and boots are great too.

So I am armored from head to toe and still feel comfortable when its warm out.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2018, 04:58:54 AM »
Nice! I have some jeans as well, do you have knee pads in them?

If you're ever in the market checked out Dainese gear, I have a winter jacket by them and it's amazing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2018, 05:27:44 AM »
I tried out the ones with the knee pads, but it came off as bulky in a way that didn't feel all that comfortable, so I went with the ones that was just the kevlar material all the way down.

I love the Dainese products. they are super high quality. Probably will pick one up at some point down the road. Here goes my Jacket made by First:

I really love this thing. The quality is top notch, its comfortable and offers great protection. And very affordable.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: July 19, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »
Awesome! :tup

I now have the urge to buy motorcycle gear lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2018, 06:28:15 PM »
I can't remember if I've asked this before, but have you ever done a track day? I'm thinking about trying to do one before summer is over. looks fun. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2018, 08:22:49 PM »
Yea I have in Florida but not up here. It is the most fun you will have, guaranteed. Look for local riding groups that get track days at you local track, it'll be much cheaper that way. You'll also probably need some stuff for the track like a rear wheel lift (T-Rex makes awesome ones) and a one piece track suit.

You also have to make your bike sure you bike meets track requirements, typically those are as simple as taping up your lights, removing your mirrors, replacing coolant with water, and removing your kick stand (hence the lift). Check with your track first and see what they require.

You will learn way more about bike control then you ever will on the street. You'll also learn to feel really confident in your riding.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2018, 03:02:15 AM »
Wow, that sounds incredible. Thanks so much for the guidance. I can't wait to try it.

Its funny. Riding a motorcycle was always something I just wanted to try, much like snowboarding or target shooting or whatever, but riding the bike has become a true passion. I'm obsessed with it and it has really brought a joy to my life that I can't express in words, (speaking of this new bike in particular). If my life was a math equation, disrupted by many years of pain, then I feel like this CBR 600 has balanced it.

But anyway, I am definitely ready to do some track days and take this to the next level.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2018, 05:19:11 AM »
I cannot stress to you how amazing track days are. Do it! Don't worry if your intimidated, the instructors are really helpful and most likely your first day you'll be put in the beginner group which doesn't allow passing so you don't go too nuts.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #221 on: July 21, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
So I've made an account with N2 track days and am getting my ducks in a row to do a day out there. Just a few questions:

1. Did you buy a once piece tracksuit or rent one?

2. Is there gas on the track you can purchase (they recommended bringing extra gas, but I am riding the bike there, so that aint gonna work)

3. How rigorous is the Tech inspection? This bike I bought used and is 6 years old. Its great, but I don't know if its track ready

4. The blue painters tape all over the shatterspots, was that a pain in the ass or not that bad?

5. Is it a pain to disconnect the headlight (that was something they recommended since the blue tape is going over the headlight)

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: July 21, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »
Awesome!

So some answers:

1. I rented one my first time then bought one. After your first day if you plan on doing it more often then invest in a track suit.

2. Typically yes. I really recommend someone come with you and bring a car. You will eat through gas a lot quicker than riding in the streets because you'll be revving much higher and it'll be a pain to leave and get some more gas.

3. Not very rigorous. They were more strict about the track rules than anything else. However you did have to meet some requirements (removal of mirrors, kickstand, etc)

4. Easy, bring a razor blade, slap the tape on and cut around the edges.

5. Easy as well. If you don't have a manual for your bike go online and find one. The easiest way to disconnect lights is find the fuse (typically under your seat near or battery, or sometimes near one of the headlights) and pull it out and bam no more lights. You're bike may through a check engine light if you pull the fuse, my didn't but it's a possibility, it'll go away when you put the fuse back. My bike's low beam is always on so I soldered a switch from the fuse box to the light so I can easily cut the light when I want (something to think about if you do this in the future)

Some more things I thought about:

- I can't tell from your pictures but does your bike have frame sliders? If not it's ok but I highly recommend getting them, even if you don't track your bike all the time. If you tip the bike in a parking lot or go down while riding frame sliders can mean the difference between a repair bill of $300 and $3000

- Unless your bike has been downed I highly doubt you'll have to worry about things mechanically. However before you go make sure your chain looks good and doesn't have much slack. If you can clean it, spray with wd-40 to get the old chain grease off then spray it with some chain grease/wax

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2018, 05:07:57 AM »
Very good guidance. Thanks so much.

Also, whoever had it before did install frame sliders, which makes me a happy camper. I was most certainly going to put those on.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: July 22, 2018, 06:42:18 AM »
Nice!

What's your closet track?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »
New Jersey Motorsport track in Millville NJ. Its about an hour away from me, which isn't too bad.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
So today Harley announced some new models for 2020. One of which is this naked standard:

Looks pretty cool. Its nice to see them go in a different direction, then the strait up cruisers. I wasn't huge on their 2018 line up and would like to see them branch out even more.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »
That's pretty damn nice if you ask me. I'd love to take it for a spin.

I think it's a smart move to try something new and gain some more riders who aren't typically HD riders.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2018, 09:28:07 PM »
At any point did you consider upgrading from the R6 to a liter bike?

I still have plenty of growing room in my 600, but I was just curious on your thoughts. I kind of find Liter and higher to be bulky and having power I just never see myself using.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2018, 11:18:20 AM »
Yes, many times, especially after riding some of my buddies liter bikes.  I love the power but it's not really neccesary for the streets. If my R6 were to disappear tomorrow the next bike I'd get is a liter bike however I love my R6 so I don't ever plan on getting rid of it lol.  I think as much as I like it I'd rather invest the money into a different style of bike.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
I feel the same way. If I were to get anything next, it would probably be a Harley Low rider as a 2nd bike and then later down the line I will think about the Liter bike question. If I did get one though, it would most definitely be an R1.  I love my bike and everything, but I think Yamaha makes the best product with the R6 and R1. I am definitely a Yamaha guy.

I'm saving up now for the track day, so I just have to get my ducks in a row, but its something I'm really looking forward to. If I really love the track, then I might look into actually getting a racing license to legit race. I know its a massive commitment, but did you ever consider getting a racing license? 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2018, 09:25:07 PM »
yes!!! I did the classes to get my license but never raced. I'd like to pick it up again but like you said it's a big commitment.

I can't wait to hear about your first track day, you'll be hooked immediately.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »
Well, here we go. Got my race suit today.

Its was only $449, so its definitely nice to have my own and not worry about sizing with renting one. This one feels decent. So I now have all the pieces of the puzzle. Time to sign up for a track day. I'll try and do either end of august or early september.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »
Nice :tup

Looks good and after you break it in it'll feel great!

I can't wait to do some more riding. The heat should start breaking in the next month or so.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Yeah, that southern humid heat must be brutal.

I am so happy to report that my best friend is now getting into riding and has signed up for his MSF course. So we headed to the power sport dealer today to check out bikes. Its so cool to see his enthusiasm. Its like I am able to relive it all a little. He really liked a 2009 Ninja 500 and it was like $2300 with a little over 2300 miles so I was like rock on. (You can see it in the pic, its the blue one)

Now of course there had to be this sexy ass R1 there...

Stop me Reaper. I can't control myself, lol

Unfortunately my engine in the car blew up today (not literally) but it is dead, so my Motorcycle spare cash fund is going to have to go toward getting a new cage, but oh well. I'll just start saving all over again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:47:56 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
The R1 is so fucking sexy. What car were you driving?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2018, 02:44:52 PM »
It was a 98 toyota corolla. It was very good to me. Made it to 110,000 miles and got me all the way through college, so I can't complain too much.

Looked at a 2003 Toyota corolla today with 57,000 miles on it. $6200. I was going to buy it, but get this: The dealer (It was a mom and pop place) could not get into the car. He had the key and it opened the trunk, but would not open the door to the actual car. Tried both passenger and driver side. Made no sense, so I was like "If you get your shit together call me, later". He calls me later in the day and says the car battery needs to be replaced and will do so today. I was like "no thanks". Nothing sounds right about that. Since when does a physical key not work when the battery dies? Not feelin it

So I'll be on the bike for a while for transportation. No complaints from me, lol. And I'm glad I got this very decent tail bag. Its got the storage space of a bookbag, but is compact and doesn't look goofy.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »
What caused the motor to blow on the corolla? 110k miles is pretty much just broken in on a toyota.

That's nice bag. I got these for when I would go for weekend rides: https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/cortech-super-2-0-contoured-saddlebags/

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2018, 05:11:55 AM »
No oil in the engine.

I think the check oil indicator light was faulty and didn't light up. Or possibly I just didn't see it light up, but I am always looking at the speedometer and fuel gauge, so I feel like I would have seen it, but whatever. Yeah, no oil in the engine and I was driving around unaware, and then the engine literally broke. Parts were rolling around in it, it was pretty gnarly.

And those Cortech bags are tight. Hopefully there's enough space in this single tailbag I have, but if not then I wouldn't mind pickup something like the dual Cortech bags. They would be excellent.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #239 on: August 25, 2018, 03:25:07 PM »
So my friend today got a new bike for his collection. 2009 Ninja 650

I kind of underestimated it a little, which was foolish of me, since we took that shit out to the valley and he smoked my ass.  :lol
He's got like 30 years of riding experience and formal race training, so there's that, but that ninja 650 is no joke and the linear power band gives it a huge advantage. I was shifting and adjusting gears like crazy trying to maintain the powerband. I was very impressed by the Ninja 650. That being said, I wouldn't trade my 600 for anything in the world. I love the aggressive riding position and shifting the gears. But overall, it was a very fun day.

And I love that Kawasaki Green  :heart

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »
Gorgeous bike and yea 98% of riders can't push the bike to the limits. When I was doing some track days some dudes on 600's would walk guys riding liter bikes as if they were on scooters.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »
Have you had any experience with trickle chargers. I have one, but I don't understand if you are supposed to leave it plugged in all the time when not riding or do you just periodically plug it in for a charge?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2018, 06:03:30 PM »
Yes! I have one right now actually, I never had to use it in Florida since I rode often but in NC there could be a month+ I don't ride.

I have the prongs connected to my battery with the charging port running to the storage compartment under the passenger seat. If weather looks like I'm not going riding for a couple of weeks I plug my bike in.

You can plug it in every night if you want to but if you ride at least a couple times a week I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »
Perfect. thanks so much

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »
Spent some time putting in a new taillight in my R6. Should've done it a while ago, it's so nice and bright now.