Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72919 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »
That sucks but keep us posted if you're looking into getting a new bike. I'm actually putting license plate lights on my bike, it didn't come with them but I've been pulled over twice about it.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2013, 12:18:57 PM »
That sucks but keep us posted if you're looking into getting a new bike. I'm actually putting license plate lights on my bike, it didn't come with them but I've been pulled over twice about it.

Definitely!  I'll probably be looking for a cruiser this time around, as opposed to a streetsport.  Something along the lines of a Honda Shadow.

How many times have you been pulled over total?  I thought for sure I was going to get pulled over last 4th of July, when I was cruising down the highway at night (90+) watching the fireworks.  I moved over a lane, and a highway patrol car passed me on the left.  :eek That'll wake you up!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »
Once while I was at an atm, a cop pulled next to my bike then mentioned it to me, and once recently when driving that the main stretch of road near my home. They weren't dicks, just told me to get the lights on.

I actually have some LED halos to put into my bike when I find the time, they can change many colors but sadly legally I can only keep them white.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2014, 06:38:25 PM »
Hey guys, came off for the first time today :(

Situation: coming down a main road (damp but not raining) and all of a sudden the car in front of me slammed on the brakes, so I slam on my front brake, front tire slides and next thing I know the bikes on my leg and the adrenaline hits, I quickly pull the bike up (somehow) and I'm panicking too much with traffic behind me so I'm struggling to get it started again.

THEN THE NERVE OF THE GUY BEHIND ME... HE FUCKING HONKED HIS HORN!

I'm rushing too much so I just push it to the side of the road.

Someone asks me if I'm ok, so I say yeah and thanks.

Thank God the bike isn't damaged, though my legs feeling a little bruised!

Bad experience really.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:49 AM »
Got to goof around with one of my favorite bikes yesterday, The Harley Fatboy:

Can't wait to get this thing. Just 3 more years of school  :'(   Stupid Doctorate degrees...    :P

and this was in the parking lot as well

I don't know which SS I'm getting, but the R6 is high up on my list. Just can't wait.

And Chino, the time is now...   ;)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »
I knew there was a motorcycle thread.

Something got me looking at bikes the other day.  I know the type I like when I see them, but I'm not entirely sure what they are called.  I eventually came across the Honda CX500, which seems like something good to start with.  As it turns out, my girlfriend's father is selling a 1972 Honda CL450, which also looks like a great bike, but it seems that they are quite pricey for their age with some selling for ~$4000.  I figured a 40 year old bike, even in full working order, should be around $1500.

Anyway, what other bikes of this style might I focus my attention?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »
Is this your first ever bike?

if so I would recommend the Suzuki GZ250, mainly because its a very easy to handle, reliable bike and you can pick one up for about a $1000 and that's for one that's in the early 2000's, so not that old of a bike.

Its a cool little bike and I enjoyed riding it. I felt like I could really push it to its limits and get comfortable with riding.

Also have you taken the Motorcycle safety course?

In PA it was free, I'm not sure what the cost is in Jersey, but I can't say enough good things about this course. It was incredibly fun and I learned so much stuff, which keeps me safe while I ride.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »
There is a course at a nearby college that I will take soon, but its not MSF.  A buddy took it and said he learned a lot.  It's 2 1/2 days of class and riding.  It seems a bit pricey at $300, but for 2 1/2 days, that might not be unreasonable.

I made the mistake of reading the reddit /r/motorcycle section.  Those guys are always talking "all the gear all the time", with padded body armor, boots, gloves, padded jackets and pants, etc.  I can't argue with a culture focused so much on safety, but is it overkill with all that gear?  I'm quite ignorant of biking, but I've never known anyone to go that far with gear.  Helmet, boots and a padded leather jacket is usually it.  I don't want to be unsafe, but I dont want to be unnecessarily suited up either.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
Dress for the fall, not for the ride.

Boots, long pants, gloves, jacket and Helmet at a minimum. Don't be a squid.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »
I have a pair of high laced military boots, reasonably heavy leather jacket (though not padded) and would get gloves and a helmet.  But what I dont have, and never really heard of is armored underwear, chest plates, knee and elbow guards, and armored kevlar pants.  Simply wearing long pants doesn't seem to be enough.

For example:
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/20127/i/teknic-supervent-mesh-jacket
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13682/i/scorpion-deuce-pants
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10303/i/cortech-accelerator-series-2-gloves
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28168/i/sidi-fusion-boots

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2014, 06:47:32 AM »
Got to goof around with one of my favorite bikes yesterday, The Harley Fatboy:

Can't wait to get this thing. Just 3 more years of school  :'(   Stupid Doctorate degrees...    :P

and this was in the parking lot as well

I don't know which SS I'm getting, but the R6 is high up on my list. Just can't wait.

And Chino, the time is now...   ;)

As a 2008 raven R6 owner, get the R6!!

It's such a blast.

I've been doing a bit of touring on it but it's been kicking my ass. I need a throttle lock, after 400 miles I can barely feel my right hand :(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
I absolutely will be getting an R6.

Reaper, I want you to ride your ass off for me, since while I'm in pharmacy school, I do not and can not have a Bike. One, I don't have the money and two, I don't have the time.

In 3 years I will buy a cruiser and super sport. I love both styles and can't wait to have them.

In the meantime, my friend lets me ride his V-strom from time to time, but its not the same as having your own bike.  :'(

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2014, 06:18:51 AM »
How do you like the V-Strom? I'm looking into buying one for some more touring but it's a bit tough to find one.

I love my R6, I've had a few super sports through the years and the R6 is the most reliable, that said I took the S1000RR and the S1000R, those are some serious bikes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »
For what it is, the V-strom is a fantastic bike overall. Its the perfect "adventure" bike and its set up for long tours and even some off roading. Its got the 650 with the linear powerband so it will haul ass, but not sneak up on you like the super sports do in the higher RPM's. Great bike, never had a problem with it, and it gets the job done.

I personally am not that into it, since its very bulky. I would never buy one for myself, but beggars can't be choosers. Its a bike and I get to ride it, so thats all that matters.  :tup

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »
I have a BMW R67 and an R35 sitting in pieces needing restoration in a garage in San Diego... Someday. However, here's some pics of my all time favorite bike: 1934 BMW R7

/thread

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
Wow. That bike looks like the motorcycle version of a Morgan car. Simply gorgeous

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2014, 07:04:41 PM »
I had to sell my bike last year, so I've been missing the riding experience for a while. Saw this article and now I'm thinking about how I can't possibly afford to hop back on yet  :'(

https://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/honda-just-announced-the-best-first-motorcycle-ever-1603087590

It's only a 286cc down from my previous 600cc FZ6, but 71 MPG! I wonder if it comes in blue... :drool:

EDIT: From another source: "When the bike arrives this fall, the new 2015 Honda CB300F will be available in only one color: Red."  :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:12:17 PM by Fiery Winds »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48:12 AM »
Very cool.

On the flip side I've been very impressed with the Ninja 300. My buddy let me ride his and I loved it. Extremely comfortable ride, fit just like a glove. The fuel injection was a huge plus and it didn't feel completely powerless as some of the 250's do.

I'll probably get a Ninja 300 or a naked SV650 when done school, in three years...  :sadpanda:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2014, 02:52:53 AM »
Saw this on Lenos car channel. Looks like alot of fun to ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo_zXe2UWKw&list=UUQMELFlXQL38KPm8kM-4Adg
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2018, 04:16:39 PM »
I know this is old but since photobucket killed the internet I am posting a few pics. Even though we got a half a foot of snow last night, it's supposed to hit 70° Wednesday so I'll be taking the bike for a mild rip to help blow away the winter blues.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
Gorgeous bike! It was actually pretty warm today but I didn't have time go for a ride. Hopefully it's warm tomorrow so I can sneak some time in.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »
Very cool bike.

I have started looking for a mid 2000's Fuel injected SV650 naked model. I FINALLY have my own god damn place, so its time to buy a bike, period. End of story. And I can't wait. I try and have one by april if I can.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »
If you're interested I can ask my old maintenance manger if he still has his for sale. He has a mini collection of bikes and he had a blue naked, (2001?) sv650 with low miles.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
I definitely appreciate that, but since I'm in PA, logistically its just too far away.

Looking on craiglist though, I've already been able to find the models I was interested in, and they are all around $2000, which Is exactly what I wanted to spend, so its all good.

I wish you weren't in Florida, as we could ride. Oh well, perhaps one day, who knows.  :smiley:

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2018, 08:11:55 AM »
I'm not in Florida anymore :lol, I live in Charlotte, NC now. I wish I could ride too, I'm not used to not being able to ride all year.

2k is around the standard price for an SV. Are you ok with a carb'd bike?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
Oh, NC. Cool, well that's getting closer  :lol    and I want to branch out into long distance riding. So If I ever make it down that way I will let you know.

But anywho, starting with I think the 2004 models, they switched to Fuel injection. So I definitely am going to go with like a 2005, 06 or 07, and honestly If I have to go $2500 to $3000, then I would fine with that. From what I am seeing so far, I don't think I will have to  ;D 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »
Once I went to a fuel injected bike I can never go back.

Speaking of long distance riding I want to do more of it but not on my current bike. When I moved to NC I rode my bike from Florida to NC, 601 miles, it destroyed my body.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2018, 05:17:27 AM »
Boy I bet. Did you do it on the R6?

If so, you are a braver man than me  :lol  And don't get me wrong I LOVE sport bikes, but after like 30 mins, I'm hurtin. That's why I'm so glad my step dad talked me into the naked SV650. Light years more comfortable in that more upright position than the sport bike attack position. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2018, 08:49:43 AM »
Yup I did it on the R6. Took 9 hours, 5 gas stops, 1 lunch break. Miserable, i was in pain after one hour but I couldn’t turn back lol.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2018, 01:18:44 PM »
I can't even begin to imagine. Ouch

So I got my first Shoei and man it feels like Christmas morning. I LOVE this thing. I had a like 50 dollar Bilt helmet and this thing BLOWS it out of the water.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
Nice helmet! My man helmet is a Shoei and it cost a bit of money but totally worth every penny.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2018, 04:14:01 PM »
FINALLY, after years of having my license and not having a bike. I am actually going to look at an 2006 naked SV650 on thursday and this looks like its gonna be a go honestly.

The guy kept it in really good shape. 15,000 miles, but it looks really well taken care of. He's asking $3750, and I think I will offer $3500. Worse case scenario, I will give the $3750. Its time.

Here's a pic

I am very excited
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:26:35 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2018, 06:04:21 PM »
That is one hell of a nice bike!

I love the red! What tires is that thing running?

I took my bike to work for the first time this year and I'm so happy it's getting warm enough to ride, I forgot how much I missed riding.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2018, 06:10:42 PM »
Thanks.

I love that red as well, and I am happy that the frame is black instead of the grey/silver. I definitely dig the black much more. Not sure what type of tires though. He's throwing in a lot of extra stuff too.

From the listing

Vance & Hines CS One Slip on Exhaust: $449.95

T-Rex Racing Frame Sliders: $44.95

Swing Arm Spools: $29.99

Rear Cowl Eliminator Kit: $274.95

Rear Grab Bar Eliminator: ? (Hard to find product)

SV650 Manual: $22.95

American Suzuki Seat: $199.95

Motorcycle Stand: $79.95

2 Sets of Emgo Aluminum Foot Pegs: $17.95 per set.

The guy is super nice from talking to him, and this whole thing looks like its going silky smooth. I may very well just give him the full asking price just on principal.

We'll see.

The place where we are meeting has a full HUGE empty parking lot where I can ride it around. I was gonna have my step dad ride it since I haven't ridden since 2013, but this huge parking lot should be fine for me to actually ride and get the feel for it.

I really can't wait.

And I got my insurance quote. Just 10 bucks a month  :metal

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »
The SV's are such great bikes with a bunch of low end torque, you're going to have a blast. Stay safe out there and let us know how it goes.

I've always been a sucker for the naked SV's.