Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72925 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
If you decide to get one now, at least take the battery out and keep it inside, preferrably on a battery tender. I don't know what to tell you about keeping the bike outside...I thinkit'd be ok, but not sure about the rough winds knocking it down of blowing your cover off.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
That's pretty rough if you don't have a place to put in it indoors, however it's a good time to buy a bike. You sure you can't put it in your house?

I'm glad this thread got bumped I'm getting a vintage bike in Oct, I can't wait.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm still living at home until I'm done college and there's no way the bike's going in the house. It took a lot of negotiation just to get to the point of buying a bike, so its gonna have to stay out of sight, out of mind if you know what I mean.

I'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and hold off till spring. That way I can have some more time to plan this out, but thanks for the advise though.

and Reaper, you've got me obsessed with the SV650. That's probably the bike I'm gonna get. Eventually...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:24:50 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
The only downside I can say is that spring will call for higher bike prices but storing it outside is a pain in the ass, another option would be renting a storage unit. I kept mine in there for a little while and it was only $50 a month. Out of sight out of mind.

The SV650 is such a great bike, comfortable to ride on, not crazy with power but honestly who needs all the power of GSXR600, also they cost a lot less (to buy and insure) since it's not a super-sport.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
Yeah, I was going to suggest storage too. Either that or a trustworthy person's garage that has electric for your tender...we just pay an old lady down the street $20 to keep it in her garage. If it's that great of a deal right now on the bike that you want, consider that.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2012, 01:45:05 PM »
Just bumping this thread, to say I bought a 2008 Yamaha Raven R6

I'll be picking it up tomorrow, will post pics then!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »
Very nice!  I could never do a straight sport bike, my back and wrists would hate me.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2012, 02:07:14 PM »
I had to do it for the price, I said the same thing after my Honda but this thing was only $2500, reason being is the shift pedal has been broken off as well as some mild fairing damage on the left side, runs strong.

I also am probably picking up a Maxim 650 but that deal is in the works.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
Just bumping this thread, to say I bought a 2008 Yamaha Raven R6

I'll be picking it up tomorrow, will post pics then!

That is awesome, I can't wait to see the pics.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »
So I was fiddling around with the R6 yesterday, fixed the shift pedal and cleaned the bike up and took it for a spin through the neighborhood. Jesus does the thing has some insane power, makes my old CBR600 feel like a scooter.

Anyway, pics today, promise!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »
Here is a cell phone pic of my bike, I'll try to get more up soon:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »
So I've been spending a lot of time on craigslist looking for a bike and I'm not too familiar with "lowballing"

I wanted to get an idea of how low is "too low" an offer. So like if someone is asking $3000, would offering $2500 be considered a lowball offer or a fair one?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2012, 05:27:52 AM »
That would be a fair offer however I don't offer a lot lower when the price is established as firm.

What bikes are you looking at?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2012, 05:59:54 AM »
Reaper, you pretty much have me sold on on the SV650. I have really fallen in love with that bike.

Probably 2003 and up S-model since I like the more aggressive re-design and the addition of fuel injection is nice too.  They are falling between $2700-$3700, so we'll see. I'll be checking craigslist each day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:05:43 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »
Awesome, you won't be disappointed with the SV650. :tup. Also get a fuel injected bike. My first couple of bikes were carbureted and it was a nightmare to deal with. Plus flue injected bikes feel like they have much more bite to them.

Are you going naked or fairings?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
I'm going with the fairings. The naked is a pretty cool style, but the fairings give it more of the sport-bike aesthetic. Now I just have to wait for the right one to come along.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
Best of luck :tup Post some pics when you get that bike.

I took the R6 for a ride this morning for some lunch, had a good ride however I'm impatient as hell waiting for it to warm up.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
For those who like motorcycle racing and have an hour to kill watch this:

https://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=38417

It's about the isle of man TT.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2012, 03:55:15 AM »

Nice, will watch that!

That race is nuts, just saw this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU-ynRoqDEs

List of Snaefell Mountain Course fatal accidents.
 :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »

Just saw it and it's just awesome!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:55 AM »
After watching that documentary I watched this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QVnXfJgg5E

I really wish I had posted Closer To The Edge first, it's much better.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »
Yea i heard about that movie, didn't know it was up on YT. Nice!  :tup

That race is so fucking intense, all those close overtakes are damn scary when you consider the speed their doing, i mean one flinch and your probably dead.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
So I finally have saved up enough money to buy my first bike and after doing a lot of research, I have decided to go with a Ninja 250r.

I'm going to start looking at bikes next week and hopefully it will be this one which the guy is asking $2800:

And i know people say its underpowered, but I don't care about power right now. I just want to learn how to ride competently and then when the time comes I'll upgrade to something bigger. (cough, R6, cough)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:21:25 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
Have you taken the MSF course?  If not, I HIGHLY recommend it. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »
Have you taken the MSF course?  If not, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Yes, I completed it over the summer and got my license. I too, would strongly recommend it to anyone looking to get into motorcycling.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2013, 11:20:35 AM »
 :tup  When I was first researching getting a bike, my parents weren't OK with it (I was still living at home).  But I did all my hw and they relented.  I found out that over 90% of motorcycle accidents involved people who were either self-taught or taught by a friend or family member.  Not because those riders were at fault, but because they had never practiced any defensive maneuvers. That was more than enough to convince me that I needed the course.  Bypassing the DMV drive test and discount insurance helped too.  ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »
:tup  When I was first researching getting a bike, my parents weren't OK with it (I was still living at home).  But I did all my hw and they relented.  I found out that over 90% of motorcycle accidents involved people who were either self-taught or taught by a friend or family member.  Not because those riders were at fault, but because they had never practiced any defensive maneuvers. That was more than enough to convince me that I needed the course.  Bypassing the DMV drive test and discount insurance helped too.  ;D

Or are the fault of other drivers who are too stupid or careless to pay attention to what they are doing >:(
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »
So a little bit of a bump here. I just picked up a 1982 Maxim 650 with 7500 original miles, just a spur of the moment purchase. Here she is:

And this is my two bikes next to one another after having a wash:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
-Jelly-
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »
-Jelly-

This.  Especially because I had to part with my bike last week.  :'(  On the bright side, I sold it for just $100 less than I paid for it two years ago. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »
Nooooooooo!!!!! What a gorgeous bike? May I ask why you sold it? I remember when you first got it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »
Indeed, that is one hell of a nice bike. I'm getting a little teary eyed myself.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »
I really want a bike. I'm going to be making bank this summer and could have the money for one by the end of June with ease. But I know that I'm going to be paying a premium because of the time of year. I'd really like to get a Kawasaki Vulcan.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2013, 06:52:52 PM »
I really want a bike. I'm going to be making bank this summer and could have the money for one by the end of June with ease. But I know that I'm going to be paying a premium because of the time of year. I'd really like to get a Kawasaki Vulcan.

Have you taken the MSF course yet? Its a lot of fun and extremely helpful in what they teach you. And the best part is that you get to ride for 2 full days.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:07:48 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »

Have you taken the MSF course yet? Its a lot of fun and extremely helpful in what they teach you. And the best part is that you get to ride for 2 full days.

:tup

Nooooooooo!!!!! What a gorgeous bike? May I ask why you sold it? I remember when you first got it.

Financial reasons since I'll be moving to a new place soon and have been unemployed since October of last year.  I know it won't be my last bike, which helps me sleep at night.  ;D