Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73962 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #980 on: September 12, 2021, 08:02:59 PM »

I think if I had to get a touring-type bike, I'd most likely choose the Heritage even though I'm not really a fan of the styling and extra weight. The mileage on my Low Rider isn't that great and I bet it would be even worse with the heavier and more powerful Heritage. Both have 5-gallon tanks.

Well if you're looking at a touring bike then look at a real bagger. You won't notice the weight and it is sooooooooo much more comfortable! At least test ride.

The only bagger I'd seriously consider is a Road King, preferably The Road King special. I really dislike the looks of the other baggers with fairings.

I know baggers are more comfortable for touring but The Heritage is supposed to be a pretty good middle ground between local riding & touring. It has taller shocks than the other bikes that share the same frame. I think I could live with that.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #981 on: September 13, 2021, 07:18:27 AM »

I think if I had to get a touring-type bike, I'd most likely choose the Heritage even though I'm not really a fan of the styling and extra weight. The mileage on my Low Rider isn't that great and I bet it would be even worse with the heavier and more powerful Heritage. Both have 5-gallon tanks.

Well if you're looking at a touring bike then look at a real bagger. You won't notice the weight and it is sooooooooo much more comfortable! At least test ride.

The only bagger I'd seriously consider is a Road King, preferably The Road King special. I really dislike the looks of the other baggers with fairings.

I know baggers are more comfortable for touring but The Heritage is supposed to be a pretty good middle ground between local riding & touring. It has taller shocks than the other bikes that share the same frame. I think I could live with that.

Well I have a RK so I can attest to the comfort of that model. A couple of years ago, while on a business trip I rented a Street Glide and road through Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Really a gorgeous trip but that bike was awesome. Smooth and that fairing really kept the water off of me when I got caught in the rain. I was really curious how I was going to handle the fairing but it was not an issue.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #982 on: September 13, 2021, 07:20:57 AM »
Dunno if this will work but if not I can't be bothered uploading it to Imgur.

If you can see it - it's my 125cc Zontes Tiger after a wash and wax and Dad and I put a new Chrome Silencer on it.

We got the entire exhaust (£42) and it would fit. But the Part where it attaches to the engine was too loose.

So after some thinking - we decided to just cut the silencer part off - as it was all one piece... And attach it to the original exhaust

using some rolled up aluminium as a sleeve - some putty cement ( called Milliput - you mix together two puttys and it goes ROCK hard )... And a clip just to keep it all together.

Worked GREAT ! I'm thinking of getting a tin of extreme temperature silver paint ( matte ) to spray the front of the exhaust just to finish it off :) :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 07:27:58 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #983 on: September 13, 2021, 07:22:32 AM »
Looks great. Very cool bike man.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: September 13, 2021, 07:25:58 AM »
Thanks. It's had one new engine in 4 years ( 70,000 km ) and this new silencer. The Silencer fell off on my way home from work at 11 at night  :biggrin:. I couldnt be bothered stopping

so put up with the noise til i got home. Being a 125 it wasn't THAT bad. I've heard big bikes which were way louder than my silencer-free bike.

I wash it and look after it regularly. Hence why it still looks good after 4 years. :)
Stop giggling at the back please.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #985 on: September 13, 2021, 07:28:32 AM »

Well I have a RK so I can attest to the comfort of that model. A couple of years ago, while on a business trip I rented a Street Glide and road through Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Really a gorgeous trip but that bike was awesome. Smooth and that fairing really kept the water off of me when I got caught in the rain. I was really curious how I was going to handle the fairing but it was not an issue.

I've heard the Road King feels more top heavy than other Harleys and that the feeling is more of sitting "on top of" the bike rather than "in the bike"? Is this true?

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #986 on: September 13, 2021, 07:36:54 AM »

I've heard the Road King feels more top heavy than other Harleys and that the feeling is more of sitting "on top of" the bike rather than "in the bike"? Is this true?

I don't feel it's top heavy but I do sit taller in the saddle as my feet don't flat foot. It corners really well and there is no need to hard lean into the twisties as would be necessary on a smaller and lighter bike. There's a reason police use RKs.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #987 on: September 13, 2021, 07:56:30 AM »

I don't feel it's top heavy but I do sit taller in the saddle as my feet don't flat foot. It corners really well and there is no need to hard lean into the twisties as would be necessary on a smaller and lighter bike. There's a reason police use RKs.

The stuff some of these highly skilled police riders do on those big bikes is extremely impressive.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: September 13, 2021, 05:10:53 PM »
Thanks. It's had one new engine in 4 years ( 70,000 km ) and this new silencer. The Silencer fell off on my way home from work at 11 at night  :biggrin:. I couldnt be bothered stopping

so put up with the noise til i got home. Being a 125 it wasn't THAT bad. I've heard big bikes which were way louder than my silencer-free bike.

I wash it and look after it regularly. Hence why it still looks good after 4 years. :)
Stop giggling at the back please.

How much quieter would you say the silencer makes the bike?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: September 14, 2021, 04:11:31 AM »
Haha like a LOT.  :o

Without silencer its like BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

With Silencer it's more like Putputputputputputputput. When i'm riding I can barely hear the engine if it's a particularly windy day.

There is a promenade in Aberystwyth - the nice seaside town i go to sometimes on a nice day. And BIG bikes always line up along there.

Sometimes you can get 100 bikes in one go. One time this enormous 1500 cc bike starts up and I swear it was like a cannon going off.

If you have to wear earplugs to ride a bike I don't see the point.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #990 on: September 16, 2021, 04:24:37 PM »
Just curious. How often do you guys do oil changes in your bike? Is it supposed to be like 3000 miles like in the car?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: September 16, 2021, 04:26:58 PM »
When i remember ;D

I use the dipstick and the oil window to check the levels and I usually just top it up if its low. I dont do complete oil changes very often.

But now I might. I have some free time coming up.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #992 on: September 16, 2021, 04:45:11 PM »
Just curious. How often do you guys do oil changes in your bike? Is it supposed to be like 3000 miles like in the car?

My manual says 5,000 miles or annually whichever comes first. I don't know if 5,000 miles is for regular oil or synthetic. I think I changed mine in February. I'll be doing it once a year since I don't ride 5,000 each year. I do the same thing with my car as well.

I don't like the placement of the oil filter on my bike. It's hard to get to and it could be a potentially messy job...but it's not that bad really.

I'm also looking into bleeding my brakes which is supposed to be done every two years. I have to take it to the dealership for them to activate the ABS to get the old fluid out of there. I think this is bullshit. Why do they have a system like this? I haven't heard of other bikes with ABS systems like Harley's.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: September 17, 2021, 06:20:56 AM »
That sucks you can't do it at home. I don't have an ABS system on my bike but I figured it was still possible to do it at home for ABS enabled bikes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: September 17, 2021, 06:22:04 AM »
Do big bikes not have an oil release underneath ? Or did you mean brake fluid ? I've had my bike 4 years and 70,000 KM and my brake fluid window is still full.

So I dunno.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: September 17, 2021, 06:31:36 AM »
He means brake fluid. There are bleed nipples on the brake calipers that you can bleed the brakes from, as well as bleed the air from the lines. What I'm guessing is that in Herrick's case you need the dealer to activate the ABS pump to move the old brake fluid out when you service the brakes.

Brake fluid doesn't normally drain so chances are your brake fluid reservoir will stay full however brake fluid does age and need to be periodically changed. What's the color of the fluid? I'd bet it's probably a dark brown/amber. Next time you service your bike you should a brake fluid change. It's cheap, can be done at home, and the tool used to bleed the brakes is only about $15.

Once you change your brake fluid you'll probably notice your brakes feel a bit better when you ride.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #996 on: September 17, 2021, 10:36:03 AM »
That sucks you can't do it at home. I don't have an ABS system on my bike but I figured it was still possible to do it at home for ABS enabled bikes.

I think it's a Harley thing. I can bleed the brakes at home but then I have to take it to Them where they use some electronic device to activate the ABS to cycle the old fluid out. Then I'd have to bleed the brakes again. Some owners say you can activate the ABS "the good old way" but how many stops does it take? I'd really rather not do that.

Edit 9/25: I was reading about ABS on the Stromtrooper forums (Unofficial Suzuki V-Strom forums) and apparently, they have the same deal where they have to take the bike to the dealership in order for the ABS module to get old brake fluid removed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 05:20:05 PM by Herrick »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: September 17, 2021, 04:37:33 PM »
He means brake fluid. There are bleed nipples on the brake calipers that you can bleed the brakes from, as well as bleed the air from the lines. What I'm guessing is that in Herrick's case you need the dealer to activate the ABS pump to move the old brake fluid out when you service the brakes.

Brake fluid doesn't normally drain so chances are your brake fluid reservoir will stay full however brake fluid does age and need to be periodically changed. What's the color of the fluid? I'd bet it's probably a dark brown/amber. Next time you service your bike you should a brake fluid change. It's cheap, can be done at home, and the tool used to bleed the brakes is only about $15.

Once you change your brake fluid you'll probably notice your brakes feel a bit better when you ride.

Well my rear brake is loose AF anyway so i'm going to Dads tomorrow to have a look at it. Probably time for a new drum. I'll also have a look at the fluid.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #998 on: September 24, 2021, 12:55:17 PM »
Did 135 miles today

Found a spot with a great view of the river

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #999 on: September 24, 2021, 03:19:02 PM »
Most sexcellent.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: September 25, 2021, 04:34:19 AM »
:tup

Changed the oil. Tightened the chain. sprayed all the chrome and chain with spray-grease. Took it for another wash and polish.

Looking and feeling good. :)

I should check the Air Filter next whilst i've got a few days off.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: September 25, 2021, 05:52:42 AM »
Done. Cleaned. I need to go on a ride to see if I notice much difference.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1002 on: September 25, 2021, 08:34:54 AM »
Done. Cleaned. I need to go on a ride to see if I notice much difference.

Is the rear brake ok?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: September 25, 2021, 10:27:01 AM »
It works but the springs have broken so I have to lift it back up myself. I haven't found any suitable springs in town yet. I'll have to search online.

But yesterday I had to stop very suddenly so they definitely work !

I hate when cars slam on their brakes suddenly. Good job I keep my distance.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1004 on: September 25, 2021, 12:18:23 PM »
It works but the springs have broken so I have to lift it back up myself. I haven't found any suitable springs in town yet. I'll have to search online.

But yesterday I had to stop very suddenly so they definitely work !

I hate when cars slam on their brakes suddenly. Good job I keep my distance.

That was one of the things they taught us in the beginner riding course. I've never been a tailgaiter in my car so it was easy for me to get into the habit of staying even further behind another car when I ride.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: September 25, 2021, 12:30:43 PM »
Apart from the rear wheel slide when you brake in the wet - the other awful feeling on a bike is 'im not going to stop in time'.

Luckily I always have.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1006 on: September 27, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »
Some motherFUCKER rear ended me last night on the way home from work as I was coming to a stop to let a police car with sirens on through an intersection. The worst part is the Fucker took off. What a piece of shit  >:(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1007 on: September 27, 2021, 02:13:41 PM »
Man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1008 on: September 27, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »
Man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Yeah mang. Herrick Lives.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: September 27, 2021, 03:05:34 PM »
Some motherFUCKER rear ended me last night on the way home from work as I was coming to a stop to let a police car with sirens on through an intersection. The worst part is the Fucker took off. What a piece of shit  >:(

That's terrible! I'm glad you are ok (hopefully no injuries). How is the bike?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: September 27, 2021, 03:37:26 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( Peoples Am the Würst

When an Audi slammed on its brakes and I had to also - and skidded over cause it was wet - the passenger got out - walked to the back of the car

looked at the back of the car - shouted to the driver ITS FINE - then they rode off leaving me to pick myself and my bike up off the road myself.

That hurt more than hitting the tarmac.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1011 on: September 27, 2021, 04:32:09 PM »

That's terrible! I'm glad you are ok (hopefully no injuries). How is the bike?

I don't know yet. The insurance people said they'd try to get someone to look at it tomorrow.

>:( >:( >:( Peoples Am the Würst

When an Audi slammed on its brakes and I had to also - and skidded over cause it was wet - the passenger got out - walked to the back of the car

looked at the back of the car - shouted to the driver ITS FINE - then they rode off leaving me to pick myself and my bike up off the road myself.

That hurt more than hitting the tarmac.

Wow that is straightup douche dickery.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2021, 02:28:20 PM »
They told me the bike is totaled  :tdwn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: September 28, 2021, 03:58:34 PM »
 :censored :censored:censored :censored Cu :censored :censored Mother f :censored :censored stupid c :censored :censored w :censored in the a  :censored with a r :censored :censored

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1014 on: September 28, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
LoL!

I'm going to look at a used 2020 V-strom 650 with 3300 miles on it. I've posted about this bike a few times before. It's the only V-Strom 650 that's close enough for me to comfortably travel to. We shall see.