Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72976 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #945 on: June 28, 2021, 09:13:47 AM »
I usually go on a day out to the seaside town 40 miles north of here. But every biker says if you keep going it's amazing roads for motorcycling.

I have a tube in my back tyre and next time I change my front tyre i'll put a tube in there too.

Then i'll buy some of that green goo you put in the tube when you get a puncture. It works great for temporary use. Eventually it gets in the valve and you have to change the tube.

But it's a great short term solution.

Also yeah a brand new chain and clutch cable etc. I might go with Dad since then there will be two of us and if my bike breaks down at least he can take me home on his bike

and vice versa. I'm not allowed a passenger on mine but Dad is allowed to ride mine with me on it. So best of both worlds.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #946 on: June 28, 2021, 08:39:43 PM »
I have never gone on a long ride. Probably the longest ride I was on was a 40-mile round trip when I bought my bike in August of 2019.

I would like to do some sort of trip on the bike one of these days.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #947 on: June 29, 2021, 07:33:16 AM »
Wifey and I took a week long 2500 mile ride from Dallas to Colorado and New Mexico. We left on a Saturday and made it back the following Friday. I tell you what, it was a life changing event!  :metal

Edit to add: This was back in 2007 but we have been on multiple long road trips since.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 07:59:06 AM by hunnus2000 »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: June 29, 2021, 07:38:04 AM »
That is a hell of a ride. The longest single day ride I did was 600 miles from St. Petersburg, Florida to Charlotte, North Carolina. I couldn't fit my bike in the moving truck so when we moved to Charlotte I figured I'd fly back and ride my bike up. The GPS said exactly 600 miles. About half way through I was over it. I've done 300 mile rides before but nothing more, it was brutal and my body hurt in ways I couldn't imagine. I didn't have the right bike for that kind of riding :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: June 29, 2021, 04:29:51 PM »
I think my one day record is 100 miles. That's not even in one go either.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #950 on: June 29, 2021, 06:22:57 PM »
The most I ever did in a day was 260 miles. It was on the Harley, it actually wasn't too bad.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #951 on: July 31, 2021, 03:41:23 PM »
Did about 100 miles today total. Weather was perfect, sunny and 73 degrees.

Boy do I love this mesh riding jacket. Felt like I was just wearing a t-shirt. Should have gotten it years ago, lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: July 31, 2021, 03:47:35 PM »
Nice :tup, mesh jacket seriously for the win. I haven't rode in a couple of weeks due to the heat but I think I'll go out a bit this week.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #953 on: July 31, 2021, 04:21:54 PM »
Did about 100 miles today total. Weather was perfect, sunny and 73 degrees.

Boy do I love this mesh riding jacket. Felt like I was just wearing a t-shirt. Should have gotten it years ago, lol

Did you get one with a removable liner?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #954 on: July 31, 2021, 04:41:55 PM »
I actually don't think this one has a liner, but its perfect for anything probably 60 degrees or higher. And then I have the cold weather coat as well, so I think I am set

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #955 on: July 31, 2021, 05:30:54 PM »
I actually don't think this one has a liner, but its perfect for anything probably 60 degrees or higher. And then I have the cold weather coat as well, so I think I am set

Sexcellent.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #956 on: September 08, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »
So I go to take the bike up to the place to do an inspection and oil change today and again it doesn't start. My friend says he's been trickle charging it, but oh well here we go again.

So we jump start it and the screw to the battery cover somehow gets lost in the process  :facepalm:

So that's 2 for 2 issues this morning. Finally get it up there thankfully and I was just like hey, besides the oil change/inspection can you check the battery and swap it for a new one if need be. I'm really over having start ups being unreliable.

But it all ended well, because they had the parts in stock to do a Stage II Harley upgrade which will put in performance torque cams, so I said giddy up. let's do it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #957 on: September 08, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »
How old is the battery?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #958 on: September 08, 2021, 11:43:55 AM »
Wifey and I took a week long 2500 mile ride from Dallas to Colorado and New Mexico. We left on a Saturday and made it back the following Friday. I tell you what, it was a life changing event!  :metal

Edit to add: This was back in 2007 but we have been on multiple long road trips since.

How does your back feel after such a journey? I feel like mine would be killing me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #959 on: September 08, 2021, 03:31:03 PM »
How old is the battery?

Bought it right before covid hit last year and basically barely rhode that entire year. I probably only rhode 6 times total in the past year and a half, so I'm not surprised the battery is toast

Before Covid, I was riding like 3+ times a month so before it never was problem.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:39:27 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #960 on: September 08, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »
How old is the battery?

Bought it right before covid hit last year and basically barely rhode that entire year. I probably only rhode 6 times total in the past year and a half, so I'm not surprised the battery is toast

Before Covid, I was riding like 3+ times a month so before it never was problem.

Oh that sucks. You don't have a good parking spot to connect a battery tender?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #961 on: September 08, 2021, 08:32:27 PM »
Its at my friends house, who says he's all over the trickle charger situation, but apparently not  :lol

He lets me keep it there for free, so I can't knock him too much. I plan on moving to a place next year that has a garage that I can store the bike, so then I will be not only riding way more, but also will be making sure its on the tender.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #962 on: September 08, 2021, 09:58:13 PM »
Its at my friends house, who says he's all over the trickle charger situation, but apparently not  :lol

He lets me keep it there for free, so I can't knock him too much. I plan on moving to a place next year that has a garage that I can store the bike, so then I will be not only riding way more, but also will be making sure its on the tender.

Sexcellent. I wish I had a garage.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: September 09, 2021, 03:40:51 AM »
SO in the daytime at work I can just pull in off the main road into work. At night they close the gate and I have to roll down the steep tarmac slope to get to the road which leads to the exit.

When it's raining it's f-ing scary as the tarmac is smooth as f---. Once i've slipped over whilst rolling down the slope in first gear and last night it

was torrential rain and I didn't fall over this time but I had that awful wheel skid. Man that's a horrible sensation. I had to try and steer it onto the grass at the side to get any kind of grip.

Screw parking up there any more. i'm gonna try and find somewhere close to the front gate from now on. No job is worth risking my health!  :o

Quote from: Herrick

Me too. I'd keep my bike in there and also my drums ( if it was dry enough ) and I could play longer than 20 mins a day... [/drum talk]

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: September 09, 2021, 06:12:23 AM »

I have a garage and I'm still terrible at remembering to put my bike on the tender :lol

was torrential rain and I didn't fall over this time but I had that awful wheel skid. Man that's a horrible sensation. I had to try and steer it onto the grass at the side to get any kind of grip.

Oh yea it's awful. I remember in college going down in a parking lot in the rain on a slope. I just remember the wheel skidding and thinking "yup here we go"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: September 09, 2021, 08:06:08 AM »
I remember the first month I ever took a bike out on the road and I had to brake hard in the wet and obviously being a new biker I jammed on both brakes and obviously the bike went horizontal.***

Luckily i've had my 'new' bike for 4 years now and it's fallen over a total of ONCE.  :tup

Related : It was a nice day when I left for work yesterday so didn't pack any waterproofs. The moment I left work it was TORRENTIAL.

So I just had to suck it up and ride home in my jeans and trainers ( sneakers )... I had my hoody on underneath my leather jacket and some long jeans on which helped a BIT.

But also it stopped raining after 15 mins and it was dry the remaining 15 mins so it wasnt THAT bad but yeah. Sometimes you just gotta get soaked.

*** - It was 6 years ago and my shoulder still hurts occasionally.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: September 09, 2021, 06:29:17 PM »
When I lived in Florida during the summer there was always a good 60% chance of getting soaked. It sucked but I think it also made me a better rider overall.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #967 on: September 10, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »

Picked the bike up today. Stage II is complete and I'm fairly happy. Is it a night and day difference in performance? No, but its gone from being satisfying yet slightly lacking to being satisfying all around. It is now where I want it to be.

One thing that is so much better is that 1st gear is now fully usable. Before, I would barely get moving and have to shift into 2nd and now I can get up to 45mph before having to shift.

So I Rode it for like an hour and a half and really put it to the test and had a ton of fun. So now, it is finally finished. Can't think of anything else I want to do.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #968 on: September 10, 2021, 03:30:57 PM »

Picked the bike up today. Stage II is complete and I'm fairly happy. Is it a night and day difference in performance? No, but its gone from being satisfying yet slightly lacking to being satisfying all around. It is now where I want it to be.

One thing that is so much better is that 1st gear is now fully usable. Before, I would barely get moving and have to shift into 2nd and now I can get up to 45mph before having to shift.

So I Rode it for like an hour and a half and really put it to the test and had a ton of fun. So now, it is finally finished. Can't think of anything else I want to do.

How about a windshield?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #969 on: September 10, 2021, 04:00:43 PM »

Wow that's crazy. I can only get up to like 16mph in first gear. Did they put in a new battery?

I still haven't gotten any performance mods on my 2019 Low Rider. I will probably keep it stock as I'm happy with it the way it is.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #970 on: September 10, 2021, 04:32:07 PM »

Wow that's crazy. I can only get up to like 16mph in first gear. Did they put in a new battery?

I still haven't gotten any performance mods on my 2019 Low Rider. I will probably keep it stock as I'm happy with it the way it is.

Its all good, if you are happy with your bike the way it is, then that's all that matters. They did put in the new battery and that makes me SO happy, because I really don't want to deal with starting issues.

And I think that back before Stage I and Stage II, it was the same with me. 1st gear was nothing at all. It what such a weird feeling since I was used to riding the Race bike and that could get up to 72 mph in first  :lol

How about a windshield?

I've tried riding with them before and never really liked them. I love to feel the wind on me.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #971 on: September 11, 2021, 09:57:59 AM »

Its all good, if you are happy with your bike the way it is, then that's all that matters. They did put in the new battery and that makes me SO happy, because I really don't want to deal with starting issues.

And I think that back before Stage I and Stage II, it was the same with me. 1st gear was nothing at all. It what such a weird feeling since I was used to riding the Race bike and that could get up to 72 mph in first  :lol

How about a windshield?

I've tried riding with them before and never really liked them. I love to feel the wind on me.

Man - you're a lot tougher than me. I just hate the feeling of going down the highway at 75 or 80mph and feeling like I am about to be pulled off the bike AND at the end of a long ride, feeling like someone has taken a baseball bat to my chest. And besides - the wind noise.  :omg:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #972 on: September 11, 2021, 02:58:45 PM »
I totally understand.

For me, I often don't ride faster than 65 and I have a full face helmet so If I am dealing with wind noise on the highway, I just close the face shield and barely hear anything.

The full faced helmet is really what makes it doable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: September 11, 2021, 06:54:35 PM »
Oops got pulled over today and the officer said I was going too fast for well over 5 miles  :o :o

He let me off though cause he obviously had a crush on me  :heart :heart

But yeah I didn't even notice I was going that fast, It's only a 125. 70 is literally my top speed.  ;D

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: September 11, 2021, 08:44:13 PM »
Was it downwind :lol?

I remember when I lived in Florida I was coming over this bridge to the island I lived on and I was doing well over the speed limit, 30+ probably, it was late at night and I was the only one there. I didn't see the cop but he lit up his lights and I thought "yup, I'm fucked big time" I slowed down to get ready to pull over and he never pulled out behind me, he just gave me a warning I guess.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #975 on: September 11, 2021, 09:26:03 PM »
Oops got pulled over today and the officer said I was going too fast for well over 5 miles  :o :o

He let me off though cause he obviously had a crush on me  :heart :heart

But yeah I didn't even notice I was going that fast, It's only a 125. 70 is literally my top speed.  ;D

Ha ha! Glad you didn't get a ticket. Maybe he was a fellow rider.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: September 12, 2021, 05:24:01 AM »
I heard the siren and thought oh hello... Then he was flashing his lights so I slowed down assuming he wanted to overtake.. Then he didn't overtake so I pulled over to the verge

and he says " pull in at the next layby ". I just thought he was after someone else...

Quite funny really. I never ever get stopped and if I do it's a spot check.

Luckily they can check my license and everything from my number plate and I had my photo license on me. Plus my L plates clearly showing.

He was like " It's only a 125 so you can't go TOO fast. Just keep it down, yeah ? ".

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #977 on: September 12, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »
Had an awesome ride today. Rode down to a restaurant that is right on the river and it was about 60 miles total. Really enjoying that Stage II upgrade. The bike hauls ass.

Swapped bikes with my buddy at one point and I got to ride his 2018 Milwaukee 8 114 Harley Heritage and that was an interesting. Not really my thing, it had wild power with the 114. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #978 on: September 12, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »
Had an awesome ride today. Rode down to a restaurant that is right on the river and it was about 60 miles total. Really enjoying that Stage II upgrade. The bike hauls ass.

Swapped bikes with my buddy at one point and I got to ride his 2018 Milwaukee 8 114 Harley Heritage and that was an interesting. Not really my thing, it had wild power with the 114.

I think if I had to get a touring-type bike, I'd most likely choose the Heritage even though I'm not really a fan of the styling and extra weight. The mileage on my Low Rider isn't that great and I bet it would be even worse with the heavier and more powerful Heritage. Both have 5-gallon tanks.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #979 on: September 12, 2021, 03:25:12 PM »

I think if I had to get a touring-type bike, I'd most likely choose the Heritage even though I'm not really a fan of the styling and extra weight. The mileage on my Low Rider isn't that great and I bet it would be even worse with the heavier and more powerful Heritage. Both have 5-gallon tanks.

Well if you're looking at a touring bike then look at a real bagger. You won't notice the weight and it is sooooooooo much more comfortable! At least test ride.