Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73865 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #910 on: April 25, 2021, 10:31:58 AM »
Dealer

Smart. A lot of problems with Harley's come from self-inflicted wounds.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #911 on: April 25, 2021, 11:46:06 AM »
Oh yeah. I definitely learned that the hard way.

After a couple goof ups, I learned I'm not as good with the wrench as I thought, lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #912 on: May 20, 2021, 08:43:13 PM »
All new Yamaha R7

ooh la la

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: May 20, 2021, 09:40:08 PM »
Wow, I picked the right day to dive back into this thread, that's gorgeous! As a previous owner of an FZ6 in that same color blue, and having recent musings of a replacement, I'm taking this as two signs out of three that I should seriously consider getting back into riding. Granted, I'm likely to lean more towards a cruiser than the FZ6 (let alone that R7).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: May 21, 2021, 06:26:21 AM »
Goddamn that is a sexy bike, if only I had the heart to get rid of my R6.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #915 on: May 21, 2021, 08:13:30 AM »
little update

Turns out that despite being called R7 which you would think would be more of an enhanced R6, it actually no longer has an in-line 4 engine, but instead has the MT-07 engine, so its a way different bike.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #916 on: May 21, 2021, 01:03:36 PM »
So I finally got around to apply for a learners permit. Assuming that goes through I'm going to find a school this summer to learn hopefully.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #917 on: May 21, 2021, 05:00:47 PM »
So I finally got around to apply for a learners permit. Assuming that goes through I'm going to find a school this summer to learn hopefully.

Very cool. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #918 on: May 21, 2021, 05:11:29 PM »
Knowing my luck, I will hit a truck during my first lesson. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #919 on: May 22, 2021, 03:11:34 PM »
little update

Turns out that despite being called R7 which you would think would be more of an enhanced R6, it actually no longer has an in-line 4 engine, but instead has the MT-07 engine, so its a way different bike.

This being a super sport, do they work their magic on the engine to make it more powerful or something? I really don't know anything about motorcycle engines...or car engines for that matter.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #920 on: May 22, 2021, 04:26:45 PM »
Basically, there's two types of sport bikes, the standard and the supersports.

The MT series are standards and have a more upright seating position and are more for everyday street riding. The engine is designed to have more torque and power down low in the RPMs, where as the R6 is a balls out race bike which really is best suited for the track, and the huge difference is all the power is up high in the RPMs like 8000 rpm or higher it just comes on like a freakin rocket ship.

This R7 will now ride completely different than the R6 since it has an MT-07 engine, so who knows. Maybe I'll like it, maybe not. I sure as hell didn't like the MT-09 though

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 04:42:53 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #921 on: May 22, 2021, 05:54:35 PM »
Tit seems weird they would call it an R series bike with that MT-07 engine but I've no dog in this herrick.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: May 22, 2021, 06:16:37 PM »
My guess would be with the cancellation of the R6 they wanted to keep an R series bike in the mix that wasn't a R1.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #923 on: May 23, 2021, 04:41:12 PM »
After like 4 years of riding, I finally did the no brainer thing of getting a mesh riding jacket for summer, lol. Boy, what a difference, especially since it was 90 degrees today and it made a huge difference.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: May 23, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »
My summer jacket is a mesh jacket with should, elbow, and back inserts and it's a world of difference compared to my leather jacket. That said though I can totally ride in the summer in my leathers if I'm doing freeway speeds.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #925 on: May 23, 2021, 05:58:47 PM »
Oh definitely. Same with me and my leather jacket. If I am half zipped and moving its totally cool even on super hot days.

Its traffic and red lights that finally made me make the switch.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #926 on: May 23, 2021, 06:16:15 PM »
I have a mesh jacket. I said to myself, "Herrick this summer you're going to always wear your riding jacket". Then yesterday it was almost 80 and today it was over 80 and I was like, nah. I know it's stupid of me but oh well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: May 23, 2021, 06:26:40 PM »
I'm glad Dad has provided me with some good padded waterproofs.

I have Proper padded baggy waterproof trousers - some rigging boots cause I don't like proper biker boots...A padded leather jacket and the weather has been so bad lately

i also wear a waterproof jacket under my biker jacket. I now also take TWO pairs of gloves to work. One to wear and another pair in my tank bag for the ride home.

It's a pain having to dry it out every night. One day I also bought a riding balaclava and it's so comfy and warm now when i'm completely decked out. Only trouble is

the visor fogging up. It could be torrential rain and I don't even feel it. It's been so wet for so long lately that I wash my bike often and spray grease the chain, engine and chrome

to stop it going rusty. I'm sure 'bikers' would tell me not to spray grease the entire engine - but I had done nearly 60,000 KM and the previous engine still looked brand new so.....

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #928 on: May 30, 2021, 08:00:14 PM »
I had my first ride in the rain while wearing rain gear a few days ago. I wore Frogg Toggs Road Toads or whatever it's called. The stuff was kinda baggy but I didn't feel uncomfortable. I was quite happy with it. The only part of Herrick that got wet was the very bottom of my pants. The Frogg Toggs pants don't close up over the ankles and were probably flapping around allowing water to get to my jeans. I guess I'll have to try tucking them into my boots next time.

I don't know if these things will really withstand a long ride in heavy rain but they were good enough for my 10 mile ride home from work with light rain.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: May 31, 2021, 04:15:35 AM »
The annoying part is when you leave home in glorious sunshine, so you dress light and no waterproofs. And then it goes super grey and you get caught in a torrential downpour.  :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #930 on: May 31, 2021, 06:05:08 AM »
The annoying part is when you leave home in glorious sunshine, so you dress light and no waterproofs. And then it goes super grey and you get caught in a torrential downpour.  :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

That's where you need some type of luggage and rain gear. Harley makes a nice suit that wraps up into about a 5inch ball so you can store it in your saddlebag. You can also buy rain gators for your shoes but if you have riding boots it's really not necessary.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: May 31, 2021, 06:47:53 AM »

When I lived in Florida you can always expect a torrential downpour in the summer afternoons :lol. I got used to riding in the rain quick.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #932 on: May 31, 2021, 04:07:37 PM »

That's where you need some type of luggage and rain gear. Harley makes a nice suit that wraps up into about a 5inch ball so you can store it in your saddlebag. You can also buy rain gators for your shoes but if you have riding boots it's really not necessary.

That's what I do. I bought this stuff months ago and kept it in my saddlebags but never got to use it until a couple days ago. I have riding boots but they're not waterproof unfortunately.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: June 01, 2021, 04:11:25 AM »
If I have my Rigging boots and my Riding jacket on its mainly my shins that get soaked. Yesterday I had to ride home with no gloves on ( not far only from the supermarket ) cause when I took them off they got pulled inside out.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #934 on: June 26, 2021, 03:04:37 PM »
Have you mangs been riding or what?

Yesterday, I got bought boot covers for my...well, my boots. Hopefully they will do the trick. Now I feel fully prepared for the evil rain.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #935 on: June 26, 2021, 05:52:01 PM »

Yesterday, I got bought boot covers for my...well, my boots. Hopefully they will do the trick. Now I feel fully prepared for the evil rain.

That sounds good. Hope they work out for you.

I've barely been riding this summer. Screwed up my shoulder in a martial arts tournament, so basically I've been a little couch bound the past few weeks. Would like to get out riding next weekend if able.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #936 on: June 26, 2021, 07:57:29 PM »

That sounds good. Hope they work out for you.

I've barely been riding this summer. Screwed up my shoulder in a martial arts tournament, so basically I've been a little couch bound the past few weeks. Would like to get out riding next weekend if able.

Wow. What kind of martial arts? I used to do Jiu Jitsu back in the day when I was a teenage herrick and some sort of Kung Fu when I was in my mid 20s.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #937 on: June 26, 2021, 10:26:32 PM »

Wow. What kind of martial arts? I used to do Jiu Jitsu back in the day when I was a teenage herrick and some sort of Kung Fu when I was in my mid 20s.

That is so funny. I do jiu jitsu. I'm a 2 stripe white belt, on the verge of a 3rd stripe once I get back to class. Love it and hate being on the bench right now.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #938 on: June 27, 2021, 04:58:23 AM »
Edit: Wrong thread!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: June 27, 2021, 07:42:52 AM »
I've been riding a few times a week. It's so hot here that if I don't go in the morning then there isn't really a great time to go.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #940 on: June 27, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »

That is so funny. I do jiu jitsu. I'm a 2 stripe white belt, on the verge of a 3rd stripe once I get back to class. Love it and hate being on the bench right now.

That's pretty hardcore you were already doing tournaments as a white belt. I never did any. The sensei started really focusing on judo stuff and I wasn't into that at all. I was really into the kicks. I probably should've been doing something like Tae Kwon Do instead.

I've been riding a few times a week. It's so hot here that if I don't go in the morning then there isn't really a great time to go.

Which firey land are you in? Arizona?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: June 28, 2021, 05:14:43 AM »
Just changed my front wheel bearings after 4 years. There was the slightest movement. I don't know how long wheel bearings normally last but.. 4 years seems a long time to me.

Especially since on bike forums - people were telling me Zontes "fall to pieces" after 10,000 km.

Well i've done 60,000 km and i've only ever had one major engine problem - and one minor problem. Both times Dad said the 'rest' of the engine still looked brand new.

Apart from that it's been mostly tyres, chains, sprockets, cables. The usual.

----

Dad also got me a tank bag. So now I can put stuff in there - usually waterproofs or spare gloves. My big 5L top box to store my jacket and helmet / gloves. And a big rucksack whilst i'm riding.

Not sure when i'd ever need to fill all 3 to go anywhere but i have the option :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: June 28, 2021, 06:03:04 AM »

That's pretty hardcore you were already doing tournaments as a white belt. I never did any. The sensei started really focusing on judo stuff and I wasn't into that at all. I was really into the kicks. I probably should've been doing something like Tae Kwon Do instead.

Which firey land are you in? Arizona?

I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina. We have good riding about 8 months of the year but June - August is absolutely miserable.

Dad also got me a tank bag. So now I can put stuff in there - usually waterproofs or spare gloves. My big 5L top box to store my jacket and helmet / gloves. And a big rucksack whilst i'm riding.

Not sure when i'd ever need to fill all 3 to go anywhere but i have the option :tup

Having a tank bag is awesome when you want to take a little road trip. I got some a few years back and rarely use them but if I'm going on a longer drive they are great for not having to carry anything. Kotow have you done any road trips with your bike?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: June 28, 2021, 06:57:50 AM »
Nowhere further than an hour away and then home again. I don't want to go too far from home in case my chain breaks or I get a puncture or something...

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: June 28, 2021, 07:38:43 AM »
You should try venturing out further. I used to do road trips all the time in Florida and I found it to be really soothing to find a quiet back road to cruise down. Bring a can of fix-a-flat for your tire in case of puncture and if your chain is in good shape I wouldn't worry about breaking.