Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73968 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #805 on: January 20, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »
My 'mantra' when riding if you like is - " Don't Be Stupid "... cause you only have to be stupid once for your life to be completely fucked in an instant.

If that were to happen - I NEVER want it to be MY FAULT.

I never want to use the phrase " If Only..."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #806 on: January 20, 2021, 09:40:09 AM »
My 'mantra' when riding if you like is - " Don't Be Stupid "... cause you only have to be stupid once for your life to be completely fucked in an instant.

Hey - you're quoting Neil Peart!  :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #807 on: January 20, 2021, 09:44:53 AM »
He walked away from what I remember. I think he went to the hospital anyway because his leg was hurting, but he didn't really damage anything.

Here's the full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMyamIyoMs

Lucky guy  :lol
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: January 20, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »

Hey - you're quoting Neil Peart!  :metal

Since I am neither a fan of the band Rush nor their late timekeeper - i find this remark... Illogical🖖🏼😒

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #809 on: January 20, 2021, 09:48:44 AM »
He walked away from what I remember. I think he went to the hospital anyway because his leg was hurting, but he didn't really damage anything.

Here's the full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMyamIyoMs

Lucky guy  :lol

You want to see some shit? Look up Isle of Man crashes! Whooo doggy, that'll wake you up!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: January 20, 2021, 11:25:42 AM »
You can get seriously hurt as bikes, especially super sports now are unforgiving and we'll get you to speed in a blink of an eye.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: January 20, 2021, 01:58:14 PM »
The seaside town where I drive in the summer - dozens and dozens of bikes congregate on the promenade and one day I saw a 1250CC bike. Which is ridiculous.

What do yo need all that for ? that's literally ten times as powerful as mine and I can keep up with traffic, do the speed limit and exceed it if need be etc etc.

Just silly. And when it started up it was horrendously loud. Maybe over compensating there bud ?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #812 on: January 20, 2021, 02:18:50 PM »
The seaside town where I drive in the summer - dozens and dozens of bikes congregate on the promenade and one day I saw a 1250CC bike. Which is ridiculous.

What do yo need all that for ? that's literally ten times as powerful as mine and I can keep up with traffic, do the speed limit and exceed it if need be etc etc.

Just silly. And when it started up it was horrendously loud. Maybe over compensating there bud ?

I'm not a fan of loud exhausts. I have a Harley but the newer ones are pretty quiet. I don't like the sound all that much but I'd rather keep it as is than get a louder exhaust that sounds better.

And I admit, this bike is more powerful than I need but I really didn't like the buzziness on the highway of my last bike which only had 5 gears. It was a 750 and I was perfectly fine with that power. If it had 6 gears, I would've kept it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: January 21, 2021, 01:27:55 AM »
My 125cc has 6 gears if you count neutral :neverusethis:

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #814 on: January 21, 2021, 07:57:34 AM »
Harley measures engine size in cubic inches or CI but for my example I'll use CC.

My Road King is 1700cc and weighs close to 900lbs and is a 6 speed. The 6th gear only comes into play when you're hitting speeds  at 75mph + which drops the RPM from 3000+ to around 2800 allowing for a more comfortable cruising.
If this size of bike seems ridiculous consider that they are meant for comfort when riding long distance whereas a smaller CC bike would not be nearly as comfortable for those long trips. They would be buzzy at high speeds and you're gonna feel every bump, rock and crack on the road and at the end of the day you will be more fatigued. The suspension on my bike is incredible and it rides like "buttah".

So to a person who rides a bike for practical reasons (maybe their only mode of transportation) if you went on 2500 mile trip on a 125cc, you'd probably be looking for bigger bike when you get back.

Also, my bike has true cruise control which I call a "game-changer". I will always have cruise control on any bike I own in the future.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: January 21, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
Fair enough - i think the longest i've spent in the saddle in one go is 90 minutes. But that was a lot of stopping and standing on two feet due to traffic.

It's probably also true in a car - but when there's SLOW traffic *uphill* - that's really annoying on a bike.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: January 21, 2021, 11:26:33 AM »
Harley measures engine size in cubic inches or CI but for my example I'll use CC.

My Road King is 1700cc and weighs close to 900lbs and is a 6 speed. The 6th gear only comes into play when you're hitting speeds  at 75mph + which drops the RPM from 3000+ to around 2800 allowing for a more comfortable cruising.
If this size of bike seems ridiculous consider that they are meant for comfort when riding long distance whereas a smaller CC bike would not be nearly as comfortable for those long trips. They would be buzzy at high speeds and you're gonna feel every bump, rock and crack on the road and at the end of the day you will be more fatigued. The suspension on my bike is incredible and it rides like "buttah".

So to a person who rides a bike for practical reasons (maybe their only mode of transportation) if you went on 2500 mile trip on a 125cc, you'd probably be looking for bigger bike when you get back.

Also, my bike has true cruise control which I call a "game-changer". I will always have cruise control on any bike I own in the future.

When I was doing my roadtrip from Florida to North Carolina on my R6 my cruise control was a rubber gasket that I can roll and on and wedge my throttle to stay open :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #817 on: January 21, 2021, 01:42:53 PM »
You're a braver man than me Reaper. The most I ever did on the CBR was 100 miles  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #818 on: January 21, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
You're a braver man than me Reaper. The most I ever did on the CBR was 100 miles  :lol

You've all got Herrick beat. My longest ride was probably 35 minutes/20 miles or something like that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: January 21, 2021, 02:49:25 PM »
35 minutes ?!

It's a 30 minute ride each way to work every day.

I routinely drive 40 miles in one go to my favourite seaside towns on my days off in summer :)

Because i'm probably slightly aspergers - I like to count down the miles so it seems to go quicker.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: January 21, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »

It was almost exactly 600 miles, after about 200 miles I knew I made a mistake. It got easier around 400 miles because my body was numb :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #821 on: January 21, 2021, 03:21:25 PM »
I sure know that numbness, lol.

By the end of my time with the cbr, i could barely go 15mins before i felt it :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #822 on: January 25, 2021, 08:37:43 PM »
Have you mangs heard about the engine Suzuki patented a while back? There was some speculation it was going to replace the V-Strom but that's a v twin engine and this new one is a parallel twin I believe. I guess they could still put it in a new V-Strom and just...keep calling it a V-Strom.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: January 26, 2021, 07:19:16 AM »
No this is the first I've heard about it, are they planning to do a parallel style setup like BMW does?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #824 on: January 26, 2021, 11:03:12 AM »
No this is the first I've heard about it, are they planning to do a parallel style setup like BMW does?

I'm not a very mechanical mang. I don't know anything really about BMWs.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/suzuki-parallel-twin-developing-fast/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: January 26, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
Monday was sunny but still icy on the roads so I didn't go out.

Today was grey skies but no ice so I went for a quick spin :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #826 on: January 26, 2021, 11:14:01 AM »
Monday was sunny but still icy on the roads so I didn't go out.

Today was grey skies but no ice so I went for a quick spin :)

Nice! I haven't ridden since last Tuesday. Cold weather and a spasm in my neck. Sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: January 26, 2021, 12:12:46 PM »
I can bear the cold for around 10 miles then it gets really painful on my hands.

But just buzzing around my town ? No probs.

Obviously out on the open road on a gorgeous day in the middle of summer ? Fantastic.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #828 on: February 04, 2021, 08:17:35 AM »
Once I get a place with a garage, my heart is all about the Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #829 on: February 04, 2021, 10:04:11 AM »
Good-looking bike  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: February 04, 2021, 02:59:10 PM »
That is such a gorgeous bike, I'm a big fan of single sided swing arms

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #831 on: February 04, 2021, 03:28:21 PM »
That is such a gorgeous bike, I'm a big fan of single sided swing arms

Yeah, they are nice. I also really like the dual exhaust.

I loved the power of my CBR, but the comfort factor kept me from riding it, so this would be a good middle ground. If it is as comfortable as my SV650 was then we are in business.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #832 on: February 05, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
I think this upcoming Honda looks good but alas, it'll most likely be too tall for me.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/further-confirmation-of-honda-nt1100/

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #833 on: February 05, 2021, 12:49:03 PM »
That looks sweet Herrick. Definitely too tall for me though  :lol

I even had trouble with my buddies Vstrom, lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: February 05, 2021, 01:23:18 PM »
Before I bought my Zontes - I was after something a bit more "angled" - like The Uss Vengeance - which apparently was inspired by motorbike design.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #835 on: February 05, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »
Is that the Yamaha MT-07?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #836 on: February 05, 2021, 05:51:38 PM »
That looks like a MT-10 if I had to guess

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: February 06, 2021, 03:45:56 AM »
Yes. MT-10 .

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: February 06, 2021, 07:03:35 AM »
I was thinking of some bucketlist bikes I'd to own sometime in my lifetime, anyone have any bikes they'd like to have if money were no object?

2008 Yamaha R1: Yamaha peaked in appearance with the R1 in this generation, I loved this bike and always wanted one
First gen BMW S1000RR: There is reason a bike needs to be this fast on the road but after riding one at a demo event it was intoxicating. The asymmetrical looks really grew on me
Ducati Diavel: I love this bike and really have been toying with the idea of getting one if I can ever part ways for the R6. I took one for a demo ride and it's comfortable, beautiful and powerful

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #839 on: February 06, 2021, 07:40:44 AM »
My bucket list bikes:

Yamaha R6 or R1 - My favorite bikes. Just love em
Triumph Speed Triple RS - The speed of a sport bike that I love, but with some comfort
Harley Fat boy- The bike that made me want to ride motorcycles when I watched Terminator 2 for the first time
One of the electric bikes - The speed and acceleration is unparalleled.