Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 74008 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #770 on: January 17, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »
Took the bike out today for the first time in months. Felt so good

I was really crossing my fingers that it would start, but it did. Hesitantly  :lol

But hear it was 44 and sunny so I was able to get a decent ride in.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 05:29:28 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: January 17, 2021, 04:40:10 PM »
Its been months since I've had mine out. I really need to go for a ride.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #772 on: January 17, 2021, 08:51:47 PM »
Do you guys do anything special when you put your bikes into hibernation?

I've been lucky so far this winter. The longest I went without riding was 10 days because of snow. I ride to work pretty much every day otherwise.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: January 18, 2021, 06:57:39 AM »
I put it on it's jack stands and trickle charger and that's it. Once it gets closer to riding season I'll do an oil change. I try to start the bike every couple of weeks and let it get up to temperature. Nothing crazy.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #774 on: January 18, 2021, 07:30:32 AM »
When I get a place with a garage I will definitely do the trickle charger, but its at my friends house now so I'm a little limited.

I try to do an oil change around november and then another one as we hit spring and I am riding more often.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #775 on: January 18, 2021, 08:26:47 AM »
Trickle charge and garage heater so it keeps it around 50 degrees roughly.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #776 on: January 18, 2021, 10:22:01 AM »
You guys don't drain the gas tank or leave it filled with a fuel stabilizer?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #777 on: January 18, 2021, 10:24:54 AM »
I don't but I have fuel injection so there's really no need.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: January 18, 2021, 12:05:30 PM »
No, I'll usually get it close to empty and then fill it up when I start riding a bit more.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #779 on: January 18, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »
The difference is if you have a carb or not.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: January 18, 2021, 01:03:51 PM »
I never ride from around November to around february - far too cold and I have nowhere to go.

But I went out yesterday and it was cold but nice.

Looking forward to riding more regularly once I start work again.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #781 on: January 18, 2021, 03:26:46 PM »
The difference is if you have a carb or not.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #782 on: January 19, 2021, 10:25:29 AM »
2021 Harley models were announced today.

Nothing to write home about, but sadly it looks like they discontinued the standard low rider keeping only the S model. That is lame as hell as its the bike I own and my favorite Harley besides the fat boy. And I did not care for the S model when I rhode it. Oh well.

And they bumped up the prices on most of the models, which is brilliant considering they were already overpriced and many people have been out of work this past year or struggling  :P

Oh harley...

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #783 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
2021 Harley models were announced today.

Nothing to write home about, but sadly it looks like they discontinued the standard low rider keeping only the S model. That is lame as hell as its the bike I own and my favorite Harley besides the fat boy. And I did not care for the S model when I rhode it. Oh well.

And they bumped up the prices on most of the models, which is brilliant considering they were already overpriced and many people have been out of work this past year or struggling  :P

Oh harley...

Heh heh yeah, those prices. They've also been closing dealerships. They're trying to keep supply lower and keep prices up. They want more sales at MSRP. The new CEO's approach is going after the "core customers". So much for the younger/newer riders.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #784 on: January 19, 2021, 10:35:56 AM »
I'm not really a motorcycle guy, but I read about Harley all the time in various business/financial publications. It's almost like they're trying to tank the company.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #785 on: January 19, 2021, 11:14:04 AM »
I haven't been keeping up with MC sales but I would suspect the "pandy" has had an affect on disposable income so I would think that ALL MC sales are down across the board.

I don't want to make this a political thread but a good way to inject fuel into the economy is to forgive student loans. That would give younger people the ability to participate in our economy whether it is buying a house or buying a motorcycle.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #786 on: January 19, 2021, 11:25:08 AM »
I haven't been keeping up with MC sales but I would suspect the "pandy" has had an affect on disposable income so I would think that ALL MC sales are down across the board.

I don't want to make this a political thread but a good way to inject fuel into the economy is to forgive student loans. That would give younger people the ability to participate in our economy whether it is buying a house or buying a motorcycle.

Earlier last year like in the Spring, sales were going up. I think RV sales too.

And yeah that would be good for younger people, but I doubt even that would help Harley's sales  :lol  Those prices are just one of the things young people don't like about HD.

If I were a youngster, I'd be more concerned with getting a good car and an apartment or a house.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: January 19, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »
Weekends in the winter during this lockdown are boring AF so I decided to get my bike out for when there's really nothing to do.

So of course its rained every day since.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #788 on: January 19, 2021, 02:12:08 PM »
Used to ride a long time ago but gave it up.  I live in the Phx metro area (Mesa) and riding on surface streets is just too crazy and risky.  We have some of the worst drivers here.

Anyway, the following is a short list of bikes that I owned in chronological order of course.  I bought them all brand new.

1.  1994 Honda Shadow 600 (4 spd) sapphire blue with spoked wheels.  What a pita to clean but it had lots of chrome.  First bike and it didn't take long to upgrade.

2.  1995 Honda Magna 750 (5 spd) candy red with mag wheels.  That was a badass bike.

3.  2002 Honda CBRF4i 600 (6 spd) red/silver 2 tone.  Very fast.  Lean forward and hold on tight when grabbing a handful of throttle, and that was only a 600cc.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: January 19, 2021, 02:44:51 PM »
The F4i is such a fantastic bike, I always wanted one but never got one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: January 19, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »
Yes, I only ride a 125CC with L plates on - but I don't see the plates when i'm riding and it's a good engine so i can keep up with traffic and not hold anyone up behind me.

My dad rides 'big bikes'. He has 2x Yamaha Diversion 600CC and one day I had a go on it on my own - just up and down his farm track -

- I did not feel safe at all. One of the things about my Zontes Tiger - is how safe it feels . It's quite big for a 125 so it's a nice comfy ride

- but it doesn't feel like it's too fast or big to lose control of it. PLUS it's light enough that if I do drop it - picking it up is easy.

My dad dropped his 900 CC and it was too heavy to lift up so he sold it for the 600.

This is not a photo of my bike - but it's the exact same one and same colour. Mine has a large top box on the back for my Crash Helmet and Jacket when I get off. :)

The Zontes is my second road bike - after my 1995 Yamaha SR 125. Which lasted a year then the "big end" went apparently.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #791 on: January 19, 2021, 05:08:43 PM »
Weekends in the winter during this lockdown are boring AF so I decided to get my bike out for when there's really nothing to do.

So of course its rained every day since.

Well that blows ballz. How cold does it get over there?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: January 19, 2021, 05:38:22 PM »
I'm in Wales in the UK so it doesn't get particularly ICY. I can't remember the last time we had thick thick snow and by afternoon any overnight ice has always gone.

But I looked at my phone just now at 00:36 GMT ( about 19:36 America time give or take an hour ) and its still 11 degrees celsius in the middle of January so yeah not THAT cold..

But I think it gets down to -10 when it's freakishly cold. I never ever ride in the winter. I don't want to slip over and it's f-ing agony on my hands.

I can dress up warm as much as I want - but my hands always get the full force of the cold air - even with a thin pair of gloves underneath a thick pair of winter gauntlets.

-----

EDIT - also - regarding licensing in the UK. To ride my 125cc with L plates I have to do a Basic Test every 2 years which is around £150.

I checked and to literally do the next test up which would enable me to remove my L plates and ride on Motorways or take a passenger

is in the region of £750 and I have to get 100% on all my tests. Yeah no. £150 every two years to do a really basic test to ride anywhere

but Motorways ? Yes. That. I never intend to get a bigger bike - if I can upgrade the engine slightly to 175 or 250 cc I will but that's it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #793 on: January 19, 2021, 07:12:04 PM »
I'm in Wales in the UK so it doesn't get particularly ICY. I can't remember the last time we had thick thick snow and by afternoon any overnight ice has always gone.

But I looked at my phone just now at 00:36 GMT ( about 19:36 America time give or take an hour ) and its still 11 degrees celsius in the middle of January so yeah not THAT cold..

But I think it gets down to -10 when it's freakishly cold. I never ever ride in the winter. I don't want to slip over and it's f-ing agony on my hands.

I can dress up warm as much as I want - but my hands always get the full force of the cold air - even with a thin pair of gloves underneath a thick pair of winter gauntlets.

-----

EDIT - also - regarding licensing in the UK. To ride my 125cc with L plates I have to do a Basic Test every 2 years which is around £150.

I checked and to literally do the next test up which would enable me to remove my L plates and ride on Motorways or take a passenger

is in the region of £750 and I have to get 100% on all my tests. Yeah no. £150 every two years to do a really basic test to ride anywhere

but Motorways ? Yes. That. I never intend to get a bigger bike - if I can upgrade the engine slightly to 175 or 250 cc I will but that's it.

I knew they had a much more comprehensive system in the UK but I didn't realize you had to get 100% on all the tests. Shit.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: January 19, 2021, 08:17:05 PM »
Yea I read up on UK and European motorcycle testing and it's crazy. Not like the states where I did a weekend class at 16 and then could go out and buy a Hayabusa :lol

The best riders I've seen though are in Paris. The situational awareness those guys have is bar none IMO

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: January 20, 2021, 03:06:46 AM »
Also I like seeing videos of people being complete wankers on their big bikes with no helmets or gloves etc and coming off.

It reminds me that anything can happen in an instant and to just NOT be STUPID when out riding.

Another reason to only ride a 125 is - I can't always overtake - so I can't do stupid things like overtake when it's a hairpin bend up ahead

like someone did to me once. It's like - if something comes around the corner - you're done.

I slipped over just pulling away from a junction in 2015 and my shoulder still hurts sometimes.

I can't imagine slipping over at 70mph with no gear on.  Just for the 'instagram likes m8'...

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #796 on: January 20, 2021, 08:45:07 AM »
I'm guilty of not wearing full gear, mostly in the warmer seasons. I'm not a wanna-be racer though and I've no interest in doing stunts, so hopefully that evens it out  :biggrin:

Speaking of doing stupid things, this is one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTGbO3y9CA

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #797 on: January 20, 2021, 08:54:06 AM »

That accident is basically what happened to me, accept I woke up in an ambulance  :P

I promise I wasn't anywhere near as annoying as that guy...

He's like the poster child for the exact type of person who shouldn't ride a super sport.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #798 on: January 20, 2021, 08:57:48 AM »
I'm guilty of not wearing full gear, mostly in the warmer seasons. I'm not a wanna-be racer though and I've no interest in doing stunts, so hopefully that evens it out  :biggrin:

This dude grew up 5 houses up from me and we hung out all the time until I was about 15. He was always an idiot, but this move takes the cake. No helmet and he's wearing flip flops!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #799 on: January 20, 2021, 09:30:23 AM »

This dude grew up 5 houses up from me and we hung out all the time until I was about 15. He was always an idiot, but this move takes the cake. No helmet and he's wearing flip flops!

How badly did he fuck himself up?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: January 20, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »

How badly did he fuck himself up?

He only got a few thousand likes on Instagram😌...

I saw one where a guy is wearing a go pro on his helmet and is glove-less - so all you see is the front of the bike screaming thru traffic - he has to brake hard - goes over -

... and the last thing you see thru his go pro is his hands out in front of him going towards the road. Then it ends. RIP hands.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #801 on: January 20, 2021, 09:35:46 AM »
Used to ride a long time ago but gave it up.  I live in the Phx metro area (Mesa) and riding on surface streets is just too crazy and risky.  We have some of the worst drivers here.

Anyway, the following is a short list of bikes that I owned in chronological order of course.  I bought them all brand new.

1.  1994 Honda Shadow 600 (4 spd) sapphire blue with spoked wheels.  What a pita to clean but it had lots of chrome.  First bike and it didn't take long to upgrade.

2.  1995 Honda Magna 750 (5 spd) candy red with mag wheels.  That was a badass bike.

3.  2002 Honda CBRF4i 600 (6 spd) red/silver 2 tone.  Very fast.  Lean forward and hold on tight when grabbing a handful of throttle, and that was only a 600cc.

Yeah - my first bike was a VLX. It took less than a month and an "oh shit" moment to realize I needed a more powerful bike. Those Magna's are awesome bikes!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #802 on: January 20, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
He walked away from what I remember. I think he went to the hospital anyway because his leg was hurting, but he didn't really damage anything.

Here's the full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMyamIyoMs

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #803 on: January 20, 2021, 09:36:29 AM »
Ah, c'mon.  Where's the rest of the footage?  I wanted to see him hit the ground and flop around like a rag doll.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #804 on: January 20, 2021, 09:38:08 AM »
The biggest mistake new riders make is getting too much bike as their first ride. The other mistake is having the "watch this" attitude.  :loser: