Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73425 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #700 on: June 13, 2020, 09:51:36 AM »
Humidity is down in Charlotte so I'm out on a long ride. Having some lunch now. I always say I need to ride more but I actually need to do it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #701 on: June 13, 2020, 10:18:56 AM »
That's awesome.

I also would like to be riding more, but my state is still pretty locked down and you can't go sit down at a food place, so my "pick random restaurant to ride to" method of riding is being put on hold for the moment.

So lately I've just been doing short local rides.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2020, 11:08:47 AM »
Herrick is having a crazy thought: trading in my 2019 HD Low Rider for a Suzuki V-Strom 650 (2018-2020 version). I probably won't do it (not this year anyway) but I've been thinking about it for a while now.

I like the practicality of these bikes, the V-Strom 650 in particular with its sexcellent MPG and the regular gas it takes. I've no interest in off-road capability. I'm not a performance mang, and I think the 650 would have plenty of power for me.

I think I could just manage the seat height which is around 32 inches or a little more. I'm 5'8" with a 32-inch inseam.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #703 on: June 27, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »
Herrick is having a crazy thought: trading in my 2019 HD Low Rider for a Suzuki V-Strom 650 (2018-2020 version). I probably won't do it (not this year anyway) but I've been thinking about it for a while now.

I like the practicality of these bikes, the V-Strom 650 in particular with its sexcellent MPG and the regular gas it takes. I've no interest in off-road capability. I'm not a performance mang, and I think the 650 would have plenty of power for me.

I think I could just manage the seat height which is around 32 inches or a little more. I'm 5'8" with a 32-inch inseam.

I've known some Wee-Strom riders and they love their bikes! You could manage the seat height and you would probably love the ground clearance while cornering. Ideally, you should have both!  :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #704 on: June 27, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »

I've known some Wee-Strom riders and they love their bikes! You could manage the seat height and you would probably love the ground clearance while cornering. Ideally, you should have both!  :metal

I'm not a fast rider at all when it comes to cornering. I doubt I'd really appreciate the better lean angle.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #705 on: June 27, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »
That sounds like a great idea Herrick

My first bike was the SV650 which has the same exact engine as the V-strom 650. A really excellent and highly reliable engine. The bike never gave me a single problem. And performance wise was satisfying and enjoyable without ever being scary or feeling like it was too much.

The only thing I will mention is that when I tried my friend's V-strom I wasn't able to flat foot it and I am 5' 10'', so just one thing to keep in mind. Once I got going it was fine though. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #706 on: June 27, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »
That sounds like a great idea Herrick

My first bike was the SV650 which has the same exact engine as the V-strom 650. A really excellent and highly reliable engine. The bike never gave me a single problem. And performance wise was satisfying and enjoyable without ever being scary or feeling like it was too much.

The only thing I will mention is that when I tried my friend's SV650 I wasn't able to flat foot it and I am 5' 10'', so just one thing to keep in mind. Once I got going it was fine though.

Hmm...I'm pretty sure the SV650 has a lower seat height than the V-Strom. I heard the newer V-Stroms are narrower between the seat and tank so it's easier to get both feet on the ground. I'll definitely have to sit on one some time to check it out. Unfortunately, the closest dealership does not allow test rides.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #707 on: June 27, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »
I mis typed

Correct the SV650 is low. It was my friends V-strom that I tried that was high

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #708 on: June 28, 2020, 07:30:50 AM »

I'm not a fast rider at all when it comes to cornering. I doubt I'd really appreciate the better lean angle.

I don't know man, you may not "appreciate it" immediately but you will certainly notice it immediately. Especially after riding that Low Rider.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #709 on: June 28, 2020, 10:15:08 AM »
I don't know man, you may not "appreciate it" immediately but you will certainly notice it immediately. Especially after riding that Low Rider.

Maybe I used the wrong word. But yeah, it will be a completely different riding experience. Hopefully I can find a dealership that allows test rides.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #710 on: June 28, 2020, 11:47:35 AM »
If it wasn't for this stupid Covid, there would have been Suzuki demo days going on right now  :P

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #711 on: August 03, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
Are you mangs still riding out there?

I'm only going to work 3 days a week and I ride on those days unless it's raining. One of these days, I should do one of those long rides just for the sake of going on a long ride. I've never ridden more than 30 miles one way.

I'm still thinking about the Suzuki V-Strom 650 but I don't know...Even if I wanted to go through with the trade, I lost my registration. The only way I can get a copy is through the mail. Anyway, I still like my Low Rider but I really dislike keeping it clean. All that damn chrome...

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: August 04, 2020, 05:48:43 AM »
I haven't ridden in over a month, I think it's because I have a new car so I try to drive that as often as I can and also because it's been 90+ degrees every day with a feels like around 105; it's hard to go out in that heat. I did do a deep clean on the bike a few weeks ago and it's spotless.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #713 on: August 04, 2020, 05:58:26 AM »
I also have barley ridden this summer. Maybe twice in the past 3 months and its also due to the heat.

This has been one of the hottest summers I can remember and it felt like every day was over 90 and add to that there's so many places closed or restricted, now I don't have spots to get something to eat and cool off. sucks

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: August 04, 2020, 06:18:46 AM »
I'm with you Phoenix. Usually I'd pick a place I haven't eaten at, find the nicest route and ride out. It's so hot that even if I rode in tshirt/shorts (I wouldn't) it'd be too hot.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #715 on: August 04, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »
It's been hot here (Schlong Island, NY) but not over 100F. My ride to work is only 9 or 10 miles so it's not that bad. I haven't worn my riding jacket once this summer. Not very smart of me but oh well.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #716 on: August 10, 2020, 01:21:06 PM »
Took a nice little trip into the Pocono mountains today with my friend to help him pick up his new 2009 Harley Crossbones. Not something I would buy per say, but a cool and different bike none the less.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: August 10, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
Very cool, love the front tire

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #718 on: August 10, 2020, 03:17:20 PM »
Cool bike. I wonder how comfortable that seat is though.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #719 on: August 10, 2020, 03:36:07 PM »
Cool bike. I wonder how comfortable that seat is though.

I took a hard look at the Crossbones when they first came out and the seat is actually not that uncomfortable at all. Love the fat front tire look.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #720 on: August 10, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »
When I first looked at the seat, I was like "hmm, I wonder how well that works" and honestly not that bad. I did a quick run around the block and it felt fairly comfortable. It definitely has a classic bobber feel all around which is a cool feel for a change.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: August 11, 2020, 06:50:20 PM »
Despite motorcycle forums saying that Zontes bikes " completely fall apart after 10,000 km "

My Zontes Tiger 125cc is now 3 years old and has racked up 50,000 km ( 30,000 miles ).

It's still in awesome condition and apart from obvious things that need replacing like sprockets, tyres chains etc...Nothing major has broken on it.

Except for a bearing casing inside the engine which let out all it's bearings into the engine. . .

Dad took the engine apart and he said that apart from that one thing - the engine still looked new.

So yeah. I'm very happy with it. **

** - Apart from every once in a while it doesn't want to start on the switch and it's something different every time.  :xbones

One year we replaced the plug, the coil, the ignition barrel and it still didn't want to start. Not even on the kick or a bump . . .

In the end we took it to the garage and they said it was the generator. Dad said that they probably said it was that and it was something really stupid

and they didn't want to fess up that it was so simple. But whatevs. It works now.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: August 11, 2020, 08:55:37 PM »
The same thing goes for sport bikes, you don't see many past 30-40k miles but that's mainly due to them being wrecked or not taken care of properly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: August 12, 2020, 06:41:32 AM »
The same thing goes for sport bikes, you don't see many past 30-40k miles but that's mainly due to them being wrecked or not taken care of properly.

Yes. People probably get a 125cc for a 'beginner' bike and absolutely trash it knowing they intend to get a bigger bike.

But I don't want a bigger bike so i'm taking care of my 125cc as much as I can.

I actually took it to the car wash recently ( not the drive in kind - the soapy spray and wax on a hose kind ) and after that it looked pretty much as good as new.

I've seen a few Zontes around that are half the age of mine that are covered in rust and filth. Oh well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: August 14, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »
My brother has planted a bug in my ear about flying to Oregon and renting a bike to drive the pacific coast byway. I'm looking it up now and the flights are crazy cheap right now for next year so I'm thinking of booking a flight now. Renting the bike would be the pricey part, roughly $900 but that would be a very cool drive.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #725 on: August 14, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
My brother has planted a bug in my ear about flying to Oregon and renting a bike to drive the pacific coast byway. I'm looking it up now and the flights are crazy cheap right now for next year so I'm thinking of booking a flight now. Renting the bike would be the pricey part, roughly $900 but that would be a very cool drive.

I'm jealous! Where would you book your return fight? San Diego? I've heard riders that riding on the ocean side made them nervous cause I don't think there are guardrails the entire length.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: August 14, 2020, 01:41:43 PM »
I don't know, I'm just in planning stages and if my brother decides to come then we'll rent a car as he has a motorcycle endorsement but he doesn't ride. For now I was thinking of doing a loop from Portland back to Portland.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #727 on: August 14, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »
Well as you know, riding a route in reverse is a completely different experience.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: August 14, 2020, 02:26:57 PM »
Flights are so cheap I almost want to book it and just sort out the rest.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: August 15, 2020, 05:18:12 AM »
I live in a town in West Wales and the furthest i've gone in one go is 40 miles.

Everyone says that beyond that town - the roads are amazing for motorcycle riding.

But I really don't want to go too far and break down.

That's the one thing i'm worried about.

If I ever go on a road trip on a motorcycle - i'd want to pack a spare chain and i'd put that green slime in the innertubes incase I got a puncture etc etc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: August 15, 2020, 05:19:19 AM »
Flights are so cheap I almost want to book it and just sort out the rest.

My passport expired in 1998 and I just never bothered getting another one.

I'm actually considering a flight from Cardiff in south Wales to Scotland. Staying overnight in a hotel or something and flying back to Cardiff.

It'd be an internal flight so I hopefully wouldn't need a passport plus i'd get to fly again.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: August 15, 2020, 06:25:00 AM »
I live in a town in West Wales and the furthest i've gone in one go is 40 miles.

Everyone says that beyond that town - the roads are amazing for motorcycle riding.

But I really don't want to go too far and break down.

That's the one thing i'm worried about.

If I ever go on a road trip on a motorcycle - i'd want to pack a spare chain and i'd put that green slime in the innertubes incase I got a puncture etc etc.

I forget but you recently replaced you chain right? I think a flat tire is my biggest concern so I'd bring a can of fix-a-flat. The company I'd be renting from also provides roadside insurance so if you break down they'll come and look at it.

I think I'm still going to think on it but my birthday is coming up and as a treat to myself I may just buy the ticket for next year.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #732 on: August 15, 2020, 07:19:17 AM »
Next year might be the better time. There's a lot of unrest going on in Portland at the moment  :P

But man I love the pacific northwest. That's probably my favorite part of the country and I would also like to plan a trip like that myself.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: August 15, 2020, 08:13:38 AM »

I forget but you recently replaced you chain right? I think a flat tire is my biggest concern so I'd bring a can of fix-a-flat. The company I'd be renting from also provides roadside insurance so if you break down they'll come and look at it.

I think I'm still going to think on it but my birthday is coming up and as a treat to myself I may just buy the ticket for next year.

I got a chain about a year ago and it's not fully extended yet and we've not taken a link out. I usually wait til i'm at the end of my adjustment and it's time to take out a link.

Then i'll get a new chain. Also my current one has a tight spot so another reason to change it.

I spoke to a biker once and he said anytime his chain gets loose - he doesn't tighten the chain using the adjustment - he literally gets a brand new chain and new sprocket.

Every time his chain needs a tighten. That's ludicrous to me. That's why we have adjustment on the rear axle.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: August 15, 2020, 08:38:10 AM »
Next year might be the better time. There's a lot of unrest going on in Portland at the moment  :P

But man I love the pacific northwest. That's probably my favorite part of the country and I would also like to plan a trip like that myself.

Yea I'm shooting for a long weekend in May, fly into Seattle drive down to brookings and back to portland. The reason I want to do seattle is there appears to be more bike options for rent. I'll keep you guys posted if this starts to pan out.

I got a chain about a year ago and it's not fully extended yet and we've not taken a link out. I usually wait til i'm at the end of my adjustment and it's time to take out a link.

Then i'll get a new chain. Also my current one has a tight spot so another reason to change it.

I spoke to a biker once and he said anytime his chain gets loose - he doesn't tighten the chain using the adjustment - he literally gets a brand new chain and new sprocket.

Every time his chain needs a tighten. That's ludicrous to me. That's why we have adjustment on the rear axle.

I think it's smart to keep the chain lubed and adjust if necessary however if I have to do wild adjustments to keep a chain going then it's probably time to replace it.