Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73407 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #630 on: November 21, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
That really sucks but I'm glad you made it back.

Push starting can be a bitch, especially the bigger the bike.

My method is like this:

Bike in neutral
Key in on position, make sure you don't have the emergency off switch on
Run with the bike as fast as you safely can while holding the clutch in, I usually try to get my speedo to read 5 mph
Hop on without falling and quickly pop it into second and drop the clutch, hopefully you'll have enough momentum to start the bike.

The harleys is heavier and the gearing is different than my r6 so you may be able to pop it into first and ride off like that.

I've had to push start my bike many, many, many times because I forget to trickle charge my battery or the battery will be old and I'm too lazy to swap it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #631 on: November 21, 2019, 11:19:10 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

I will absolutely be practicing this technique. Just ordered a new battery, so once its in I'll be back in business. Until then, I'll be riding the CBR  :biggrin:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #632 on: November 25, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
God, I am so dumb. My friend was helping me replace the battery and he's like "I wonder if the wire is loose on the terminal" and I'm like damn, I didn't even think about that, and low and behold it was loose.  :facepalm:

I don't know if it shook loose, or if the colder weather contracted things a little, but it was definitely loose. Regardless, its almost 4 years old so I just swapped in the new battery, and he needed a battery for his bike so I gave old one to him, so it kind of worked out.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #633 on: December 08, 2019, 06:38:09 PM »
I don't know why I missed all these posts. Anyway, sorry to hear about your most unExcellent Adventure :(

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #634 on: December 08, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
Its all good.

I wish it would warm up a little. Maybe I'll look into getting some heated gear. Not being able to ride really sucks  :P

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #635 on: December 08, 2019, 09:31:34 PM »
Its all good.

I wish it would warm up a little. Maybe I'll look into getting some heated gear. Not being able to ride really sucks  :P

I ordered Gerbing 12V heated gloves. I'll let you know how they are.

Edit: These gloves are supposed to arrive on the 10th but it looks like I won't get to try them out until the 12th due to rain and snow.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:03:04 PM by Herrick »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #636 on: December 17, 2019, 02:31:34 PM »
I forgot to post about how the new gloves worked out. I rode to work on Sunday. When I left work at 11pm the temperature was somewhere in the mid-30s but supposedly it felt like it was in the high 20s. The gloves worked out really well. My hands weren't cold. In fact they were a tiny bit sweaty when I got home. This was only a 10-mile ride and I didn't go over 65mph...I think.

My next big test for these gloves will be Friday with temps in the low 30s to mid 20s.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #637 on: December 17, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »
That's good to hear. Glad they are working out.

I've been dying to get out. Its been raining like non stop  :P

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: December 17, 2019, 10:00:32 PM »
We've had a lot of rain recently too. I'm going to try and go out for a couple of miles this weekend if its above freezing

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #639 on: December 18, 2019, 12:55:58 AM »
That's good to hear. Glad they are working out.

I've been dying to get out. Its been raining like non stop  :P

Tit's been raining a lot over here in Munchkinland. A little bit of snow too. It stopped raining earlier tonight butt it's gonna be cold as a witch's herrick tomorrow. Low to mid 20s. Not sure if I should risk riding tomorrow. I think I saw salt on the roads while driving home from work earlier tonight.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #640 on: December 21, 2019, 02:24:52 PM »
All right. Yesterday the temperature was somewhere in the high teens. My hands were quite cold on the way to work even with the temperature up all the way on the gloves. It wasn't as bad on the way home. Worked 11am to 7pm.

Today was great. The temperature was in the mid 20s and my hands were almost too hot. I had the temperature up all the way. It's supposed to be around 30 degrees when I leave at 7pm. I think I'll put the temperature at 9 which is the second highest setting.

So far, I am extremely satisfied with these gloves if I can comfortably ride in the mid 20s. And honestly when it's that cold I'll just take the cage anyway.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #641 on: December 21, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
Well, that's good to hear.

My friend is all up my ass to get heated grips, but heated gloves sounds like a way easier option.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #642 on: December 30, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »
Herrick has had a couple (or 1 and a half?) good weeks of riding. I road 7 out of the last 10 work days. The temperature was in the 40s to 30s. Nice!

Tit's been raining the last couple days. I'll most likely ride to work tomorrow and take the bike to the dealership for the first service some time this week. Sucks that these services are required but we gotta pay for them.

I'm hoping this is something that will only take a couple hours and I can wait at the dealership. When I took my Honda in for its first service (which had to be performed after the first 500 miles) I had to drop it off and wait a week. That wasn't a huge deal because it was during February and it was cold.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #643 on: January 03, 2020, 10:50:38 AM »
That would be great if you could do it same day and just wait. Luckily its the off season so there's a better chance.

When I did the 500 mile service, I ended up dropping it off. I'm already almost at 2000 miles so at this rate I'll be doing the 5000 mile service not that far away  ;D

Are you fairly happy with the Harley? Is it an improvement over the previous bike? I'm in love with mine.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #644 on: January 04, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
That would be great if you could do it same day and just wait. Luckily its the off season so there's a better chance.

When I did the 500 mile service, I ended up dropping it off. I'm already almost at 2000 miles so at this rate I'll be doing the 5000 mile service not that far away  ;D

Are you fairly happy with the Harley? Is it an improvement over the previous bike? I'm in love with mine.

I'm happy with the Low Rider but I do miss my leetle Honda. If Honda made something like that 750 with a sixth gear, then I might be tempted to trade in the Harley. Realistically, that 750 was more than enough Poweraaa for Herrick. And I imagine a 750 with a sixth gear would get even better gas mileage. I was getting 150-160 out of that 3.7 gallon tank.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #645 on: January 07, 2020, 04:49:12 PM »
Well this sucks. I have to drop the bike off tomorrow for this 1,000-mile thing and they said it's a 3-hour job. More money for them. And who knows when I'll get my bike back. 50-degree weather on Thursday & Friday. I bet I won't get my bike back until next week.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #646 on: January 07, 2020, 05:37:25 PM »
Yeah they suck. I try to avoid them as much as possible as they make everything as difficult as possible. At my HD dealership there literally isn't even anywhere to sit and wait. Come on guys...

This upcoming burst of very nice weather in January is very welcome, but its supposed to rain in my area  :P

**In other news, I would like to try and sell the CBR in the next few months if I can get around to it. That money will go right toward student loans and not having to pay high insurance on a bike I barely ride will be nice.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #647 on: January 08, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »
Yeah they suck. I try to avoid them as much as possible as they make everything as difficult as possible. At my HD dealership there literally isn't even anywhere to sit and wait. Come on guys...

This upcoming burst of very nice weather in January is very welcome, but its supposed to rain in my area  :P

**In other news, I would like to try and sell the CBR in the next few months if I can get around to it. That money will go right toward student loans and not having to pay high insurance on a bike I barely ride will be nice.

You're getting rid of your Honda? :( Well you gotta do what you gotta do.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #648 on: January 08, 2020, 09:06:51 AM »
I just started Jiu Jitsu and that is running $130 a month and the Honda is sitting around costing $660 for the year for insurance. So i have to even things out a little.

I've ridden it twice in the past 4 months vs. once a week with the Harley, so its time. When I have a house with a garage I'll get another sportbike or a quick as hell electric bike. But for right now, I need to simplify things a little.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #649 on: January 08, 2020, 09:33:52 AM »
I just started Jiu Jitsu and that is running $130 a month and the Honda is sitting around costing $660 for the year for insurance. So i have to even things out a little.

I've ridden it twice in the past 4 months vs. once a week with the Harley, so its time. When I have a house with a garage I'll get another sportbike or a quick as hell electric bike. But for right now, I need to simplify things a little.

Those Zero bikes look cool.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #650 on: January 08, 2020, 10:02:07 AM »
Yeah, I am really digging the zero bikes. The performance model performs just as well as the Livewire for almost half the price, so I definitely could see myself getting one a little later down the line.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #651 on: January 24, 2020, 10:35:15 AM »
Well, Herrick is still riding. Twas very cold last week and the bike was at the dealership so no riding for 7 days. Kinda sucked but my neck was fucked up that whole week anyways.

I took the bike in for its 1000-mile service. Told the dudes about the annoying horn-like noise from the front brake when coming to a stop. They said they'd look into it. I picked up the bike a couple days ago and road it home. During that leetle 7-mile trip, no noise. Sexcellent! BUTT the noise came back today when I road it to work. Sucks  :tdwn

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #652 on: January 24, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »
That's so weird that it would be making that noise. I haven't heard it on my low rider. I do have dual disc brakes though so who knows  :P

In other news, guess who's dumbass forgot to put the kickstand down the other day...  :facepalm:   Thank god it was in the drive way that the bike fell over. I felt like complete idiot.

But on the bright side of things, I now know that I can pick it up by myself. So there's that.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #653 on: January 24, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
That's so weird that it would be making that noise. I haven't heard it on my low rider. I do have dual disc brakes though so who knows  :P

In other news, guess who's dumbass forgot to put the kickstand down the other day...  :facepalm:   Thank god it was in the drive way that the bike fell over. I felt like complete idiot.

But on the bright side of things, I now know that I can pick it up by myself. So there's that.

Oh shit that sucks. I haven't tried picking up my bike. I've no idea what I would do if fell down with the exhaust side up. WTF would I grab on to?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #654 on: January 24, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »
Luckily I had watched videos like this on how to do it and it works pretty well.  You put your back toward the bike, squat down and then slowly stand up and walk back kind of.  One hand on the handlebar and the other hand on the seat.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: January 25, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »
Had this guy demo this on his old goldwing at my MSF class years ago. It's a good thing to learn. A little off topic but that dude could make the tightest slow turns on that goldwing, his riding ability was phenomenal.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #656 on: January 25, 2020, 09:15:43 AM »
Reaper, check out this 200 hp, 200mph with a 200 mile range electric super sport that is coming out.  $24,995

This one has really gotten my interest. I love the R1 and R6, but I strongly feel like my next "Speed/performance" bike will be electric.

With stuff like this out there and zero bikes, the measly 100 mile range, 30 grand HD livewire has no excuses to be that expensive.  :P

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #657 on: January 25, 2020, 11:37:42 AM »
Very interesting. Here's a little article on the Damon Hypersport. They're saying 300-mile city range. Impressive. Most Impressive.

https://ww.electrek.co/2020/01/08/damon-hypersport-electric-motorcycle-200-mph-speed-200-mile-range/#aprd

Damn, that's cool that the ergonomics of the bike can be changed with the push of a button. This could be a very versatile motorcycle with great range.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:44:33 AM by Herrick »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #658 on: January 25, 2020, 04:48:27 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. You can make it more upright like a standard bike if you want. Such a cool idea.

I'm gonna see if they do any demo rides in the spring/summer. I would love to try it out

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: January 25, 2020, 05:28:20 PM »
That is gorgeous and the price is pretty fair. 200 miles is a good range too, I'm typically tired sooner than 200 miles on my R6. I wonder what the miles are like if you're on the track.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #660 on: February 03, 2020, 01:29:25 PM »
I hope you guys had a chance to get out today. Holy crap, 60 and sunny where I'm at, and it was a spectacular ride  :metal

Besides I almost when down again today  :facepalm:  I was out with my friend. He was riding in front of me. I thought were gonna go through the yellow light but he thought I wasn't gonna make it so he stopped and I saw his red tail light stop and my brain just said stop and then I skidded to a stop, slightly into the intersection, almost dumping the bike  :facepalm:

Thank god I was on the Harley. That type of situation is so much easier to control, at least for me, then on a super sport. I almost took the CBR out today and I strongly feel like I would have locked up the front wheel and crashed yet again. So hurray for Harley :P

On to the next dumb thing I did. So as I was pulling the bike out of the garage and I heard a sound that was like tin cans rattling and I was like "meh, probably nothing"

Well, it wasn't  :P

Turns out when I let the bike fall over in the drive way before, the saddlebag brackets pushed into the belt guard cover and smashed it into the belt housing and shock  :blush

So I was riding down the god damn highway with this metal piece rubbing against the belt and wedged partially into the shock. Luckily, it didn't go real bad. Figured it out eventually and then took it off back at the house.

So I am gonna order a new piece and replace it

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #661 on: February 03, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »
The Adventures of Phoenix87x  :rollin

Good to hear nothing seriously bad happened.

It was 50 here (Munchkinland) on the way to work. It'll be 40 on the way home tonight. I'd Buy That For A Dollar!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #662 on: February 04, 2020, 06:37:50 AM »

Yeah, it never ends  :lol

There's always some crazy crap going on with the Motorcycle.

On a side note, where I was yesterday there were long stretches of strait empty roads and again, I am blown away by the Stage I upgrade to the Harley. Wow, 3rd, 4th and even 5th gear have very satisfying pull. Its amazing what just better pipes and a fuel map can do. Makes me think I don't even need to do Stage II.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #663 on: February 17, 2020, 02:22:26 PM »

Yeah, it never ends  :lol

There's always some crazy crap going on with the Motorcycle.

On a side note, where I was yesterday there were long stretches of strait empty roads and again, I am blown away by the Stage I upgrade to the Harley. Wow, 3rd, 4th and even 5th gear have very satisfying pull. Its amazing what just better pipes and a fuel map can do. Makes me think I don't even need to do Stage II.

Did your mileage go down after that upgrade?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #664 on: February 17, 2020, 03:38:27 PM »
That's a good question. From a technical standpoint, I guess it would have had to, but honestly I haven't really noticed that big of a difference.