Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73428 times)

Offline frogprog

Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #595 on: October 07, 2019, 03:31:50 PM »
Herrick, I'm looking at the 800 xr model. Definitely used. They sold a 2018 xr the day I was at the shop for $10,500 the day I was there. Used- but only 105 miles!! I was just reading that you can
, or will be able to retrofit Triumph's new bluetooth/nav system to all their bikes which is cool.
I currently have a 2016 Honda CRF 250L which is a lot of fun and was a great beginner bike for me, but I think it would be nice to upgrade for longer street rides since I'm not riding off road like I had planned. My bike is in showroom shape with only about 1500 miles and still 2 years on warranty so I should get a strong trade in. I haven't even got it dirty yet. The guy who inspects it said at least throw a bucket of mud on it before I bring it back!

Before anything happens though my cash needs to go with helping my daughter get her first car so I probably won't be seriously moving on this till at least next riding season. The adventure bikes are so awesome though!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #596 on: October 07, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
That 800 looks gooooood!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #597 on: October 11, 2019, 04:39:57 PM »
It was like Christmas today. Got the new pipes installed and god do I love them  :heart

They look better
They Sound better
They perform better

Its supposed to be a 10% gain in performance and I would have to agree. The power and performances is noticeably better. The Sound is PERFECT. Low, aggressive growl that is strong in sound but not obnoxiously loud. I love it. The bike now finally feels the way I wanted it to.

So I think that pretty much covered everything I wanted to do to it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:57:41 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #598 on: October 11, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
What kind of bars are on there? I might have to get the bars changed on my Low Rider. I get pain in my right hand when riding not even long distances on the stock bars.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #599 on: October 11, 2019, 06:57:25 PM »
They are just stock handlebars for the 2016 low rider. Beyond that I don't know what they are called specifically. I did a quick google search to try and find better info for you, but couldn't find anything definitive.

That was a huge deciding factor in choosing between the newer ones and the older dyna model. The buckhorn bars feel like shit, and the 2016 bars fit me like a glove.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #600 on: October 11, 2019, 07:07:07 PM »
Thanks for the info. I might go with the Street Slammer bars. They resemble the stock bars on the Honda Shadow Phantom. I never had any comfort problems with those bars.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #601 on: October 13, 2019, 04:00:59 PM »
Went to another Harley demo day and I got to ride the new low rider S

I was shocked that I didn't like it. It was very stiff and just awkward in general to ride. The seat was stiff, handlebars weren't that comfortable and were also stiff. The shift lever was super awkward as well.

The power of the 114 was very decent, but the overall bike was kind of a let down. Oh well.

The other 3 I rode were the Street bob, Fat bob and Fat Boy. All of which I enjoyed a lot, with the Fat boy being the favorite of the day.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #602 on: October 13, 2019, 06:16:17 PM »
Wow! Yeah surprised you didn't like the new Low Rider S. That's supposed to be the "great-handling/performance bike" in the HD line-up...or is that supposed to be the FXDR?

How is the Fat Boy? I heard it's difficult to turn that thing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #603 on: October 13, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
The FXDR used to be what they were pushing as the "performance" Harley except everyone hated it and the sales were garbage  :lol

The FXDR was there and nobody touched it, and I don't blame them because it the was the worst bike I have ever ridden.

But anyway, back on topic. The new Low Rider S is a course correction away from the FXDR. So its now their performance Harley. And Even though I personally didn't like it, I can definitely see it doing well sales wise. Its definitely a step in the right direction. And honestly, I didn't really like the Dyna low rider S either, so it just is what it is.

And the Fat Boy  :heart   GOD, do I love that bike. I love it so much, that I almost got it instead of the low rider. Its the bike that inspired me to ride in the first place after watching Terminator 2 back in the day.

I can't speak for pre-2018 Fat boys since I haven't ridden them, but these new ones handle like a dream. No issues at all turning it and it feels like a beast as you are riding it. Strong and very satisfying power and its so comfortable to ride. I love that bike and I would love to own one at some point in my life. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: October 13, 2019, 06:44:37 PM »
The fat boy is a fine looking bike, I'm a huge fan of the matte looking street bob

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #605 on: October 13, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »
The FXDR used to be what they were pushing as the "performance" Harley except everyone hated it and the sales were garbage  :lol

The FXDR was there and nobody touched it, and I don't blame them because it the was the worst bike I have ever ridden.

They even lowered the price for 2020  :o

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #606 on: October 15, 2019, 06:26:57 PM »
Learned some valuable lessons about super sport repairs today.

1. Rear turn signals and front turn signals are totally different wire wise, and I got the wrong ones  :facepalm:
2. Passenger pegs are different than the front pegs and I got the wrong ones  :facepalm:

But even though I couldn't fix the front turn signal which is still mangled to hell and scrapped up from the crash, I did replace the rear one which had some marks on it. Had to strip and fuse wires, which wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Trying to get this thing back in top shape in case I want to sell. So we'll see.

And on a side note, while I was messing with the front fairings I discovered something nasty. I had been smelling something that I thought was a burning rubber smell and it turns out that part the front fairing was touching on the engine pipes and was actively melting on top of the pipe every time I rode  :facepalm:

The fun never stops

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: October 15, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
That sucks Phoenix, when I had to replace my rear turn signal last year it was a disaster. Whoever had my bike before did not know what the hell they were doing or didn't care, it was a crows nest of wires, all black too so I had to trace everything down.

Was the fairing touching from the accident? I remember getting the same burnt smell and it turned out my rectifier went bend and started to melt.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #608 on: October 16, 2019, 05:10:42 AM »
That's a good question. It may very well have been touching before hand. Its hard to remember.

But considering its just plastic and its near 4 extremely hot pipes, I could definitely see it just happening regardless.

And on a separate note If I can pull it off, the plan would be to:

1. Sell CBR
2. Finish paying off student loans hopefully by early 2021
3. Buy small house with garage
4. Get 2017 or newer R6

The Harley has decent power after the Stage I upgrade (and I may do Stage II) so I could live without a super sport for a few years, as I get my life more in order.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #609 on: October 16, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »
It really helps to be a handymang. I would have to take it to the dealer for any work like that.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #610 on: October 16, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
Its usually a shit show of me doing more damage than good  :lol   but somehow it all comes together in the end. 

Any thoughts of eventually doing Stage I or any of the stages on your low rider Herrick?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »
Its usually a shit show of me doing more damage than good  :lol   but somehow it all comes together in the end. 

Any thoughts of eventually doing Stage I or any of the stages on your low rider Herrick?

Nah mang. At the most I might get some slips-ons but even those I'm not sure about. I kinda want that deep rumble noise but when I get home from work at 11pm I'm thinking the bike's fucking loud enough.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2019, 05:07:52 PM »
Yeah, the loudness is definitely on my mind as well when it comes to neighbors. My next place I'm gonna try and get it with some good space between me and any neighbors.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2019, 05:19:10 PM »
Yeah, the loudness is definitely on my mind as well when it comes to neighbors. My next place I'm gonna try and get it with some good space between me and any neighbors.

It's a gotdamn shame these current generation of consoles don't have gyro aiming for all games. Hopefully the next generation consoles have this lovely feature. I play almost every game that has any sort of aim with the Steam Controller. It's not quite as precise as a mouse but it's good enough for Herrick.

Edit: Well that should've been posted in the video game thread.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:25:02 PM by Herrick »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #614 on: October 21, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
I've started wearing ear plugs while riding the Harley.

The new pipes are fine for a short ride, but for the longer rides I do, I've noticed after finishing there's some ringing or mild ear pain. And besides the pipes, I like to ride with the visor open on the helmet and the wind is just hitting my ears the whole time, especially at high speeds. Today I rode about 3 hours and they seemed to work pretty well.

And on a side note, I learned not to park the Harley on any downward angles, even if they are so tiny that you barely notice them. I parked in a spot today and it looked flat, but apparently not flat enough. The bike is so heavy I couldn't back it up and I was starting to freak out a little. Thank god there was grass in front of me and I had to ride across someones lawn  :blush

But I got out of there and I now know to be more careful.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #615 on: October 22, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »
Yeah parking can be a problem with these heavier bikes :lol I almost always back my bike into a parking space but if it's even slightly up hill, then I'll pull in.

There's a weird spot in my driveway that gave me problems at first but I think my legs are a bit stronger now or I'm just more comfortable maneuvering the Low Rider around...or perhaps both?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #616 on: October 22, 2019, 06:43:32 PM »
Backing in is definitely the move. I'm going to start trying to do that going forward.

I was just so used the CBR being light as a feather, I am learning real quick they are not the same  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #617 on: October 22, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »
Hmm...new engine from Indian. I stopped reading as soon as I saw it was for yet another bagger. I'm guessing it's for The Challenger.

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/10/article/indian-motorcycle-unveils-new-water-cooled-v-twin/

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #618 on: November 04, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
Took the race bike out today and it was a fantastic day. Weather was great at 55 degrees and sunny and felt very refreshing. LOTS of leafs all over the place on the back roads, so I had to take it easy.

And I did confirm that a piece of plastic front fairing was rubbing up against one the engine pipes and it was melting on it, which was causing that burnt plastic/rubber kind of smell. I was able to adjust it out of the way. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: November 10, 2019, 06:02:39 AM »
Well it's starting to get cold so I just ordered some stuff to do some maintenance on the bike:

I bought some brakes, brake fluid, spark plugs, air filter.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #620 on: November 10, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »
Its definitely getting cold  :'(

Was gonna go ride today, but its like 32 degrees out right now and the sun sets at 4pm so  :P     oh well. It does give time for some maintenance at least.

Reaper, did you see that new 2021 Fireblade?

Its 212 hp  :metal

I like it, but I'd probably go for an R1 first

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: November 10, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »
No but that looks amazing! Going on looks alone I don't know what'd I'd get, R1 or Fireblade

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #622 on: November 12, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
Reaper, do you have a steering damper on your R6 and if not, have you ever had any issues with death wobble/tank slappers?

I'm still full blown Yamaha for the next sport bike, but I do like the built in electronic steering damper on the CBR. Its definitely saved me from time to time.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: November 13, 2019, 07:12:06 PM »
No, my bike is an R6S which essentially a re-released 2nd gen r6 with no damper.

I've never had an issue with death wobble with the exception a few times when I was being careless and trying to wheelie the bike. That said I've never been in the saddle long enough  to notice a difference with a damper.

Can you feel it actively working?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #624 on: November 14, 2019, 05:09:37 AM »
I don't really notice it just regular riding, but I am pretty sure it saved my ass a few times.

Like once was when I was going over a tiny bridge with an hump incline and twisted the throttle too much and the front wheel came up. It came back down crooked and I thought I was gonna eat it, but the initial wobble became stable. That was one of the scariest moments I ever had on that bike and I know there's other times where it probably prevented a bad day.

Ultimately, I inevitably get a little wild from time to time on the Race bike, so I'll take any extra safety features I can get. Luckily I ride the Harley now most of the time which is like riding a rocking chair. Never once had any close call with that thing  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: November 14, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »
Yea I complete relate to getting extra safety features, I got nothing :lol, no abs, damper, or traction control.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #626 on: November 19, 2019, 10:14:38 AM »

So my friend got some Electronic Assist bikes and they are really awesome. You can put it on zero and just peddle normal or you can turn it all the way up to 5 where it really helps you peddle. Its pretty surreal.

And on top of that, its basically a motorcycle. There's an actual throttle and hot damn does it work. It reminds me of the livewire or zero motorcycles but just with less power. But its pretty impressive regardless. It will do up to 25mph, so its pretty legit.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: November 19, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »
Those are some beefy tires on that bike. What's the range like?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #628 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
He said between 20-30 miles. Give or take

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #629 on: November 21, 2019, 10:02:08 AM »
Got stranded on the Harley in Jersey today for a little bit and it was pretty lame.  :yeahright

When I first took it out, it hesitated to start but nothing ridiculous so I didn't really pay much mind to it. Got over the bridge and was heading to a state park, but I decided to pull over to put on warmer gloves. Bike was only off for like 3 mins and when I went to hit the ignition, I got nothing and was like Fuck.

Messed with it a little bit and nothing, started looking up videos of push starting but couldn't quite figure that out and then finally I just called road side assistance, which apparently can't jump start a bike and will just tow it. Very luckily, before the guy dispatched a truck I was just barley able to get it to start and limped my ass back home and called it a day.

I think its the battery, so I'll probably just go get a new one. It was 46 degrees as well, so I'm sure that wasn't helping either. I did get to finally test out my motorcycle Ez Pass though and it works beautifully.