Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73711 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #560 on: September 17, 2019, 06:42:35 AM »
Just road into work today and it's starting to feel like fall again. Such a beautiful ride. I'm thinking I need to see if my go pro still works.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #561 on: September 17, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »
That's not terrible. Have you been riding your CBR recently?

Yeah, I've been going back and forth, lol.

Its so crazy. I'll crave riding one of them and then the next time around I'll crave riding the other one. Its like WOW, this is comfortable but slow and then its like WOW this is fast but uncomfortable  :lol    and its just goes in circles, lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
When I had my old yamaha my deciding factor was "Am I going on the highway or going in a 55+ speed limit zone?"

I lived on the beach and a lot of the time I'd putt around to grab a bite to eat so I'd take cruiser, plus that direct drive made for one smooth ride.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #563 on: September 24, 2019, 06:46:51 PM »
So for the first time ever today I started to teach someone to ride. I took a friend from work to an empty parking lot with the Harley and went to it.

He did alright, especially for someone who never got on a motorcycle before. Just did some basic clutch control. Letting it out and having him walk with the bike, then pulling in the clutch and pull the brake.

One thing that I did learn is that pre- Milwaukee 8 engines get crazy hot when not moving fast and getting cooled by air, so maybe not the best choice to teach on, lol.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #564 on: September 24, 2019, 06:59:16 PM »
So for the first time ever today I started to teach someone to ride. I took a friend from work to an empty parking lot with the Harley and went to it.

He did alright, especially for someone who never got on a motorcycle before. Just did some basic clutch control. Letting it out and having him walk with the bike, then pulling in the clutch and pull the brake.

One thing that I did learn is that pre- Milwaukee 8 engines get crazy hot when not moving fast and getting cooled by air, so maybe not the best choice to teach on, lol.

Something like this would've been a tremendous help for me before taking the MSF class.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: September 24, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
that reminds me of when I taught one of my brothers friends on the 82 yamaha. He was doing well, I got him going up and down the street after a while but he had to get out of the way of the car so he sort of panicked and slammed the front brake, all his weight shifted and while he put his legs down the bike was already going over. No big deal, just a few minor scratches.

He felt so bad he immediately picked the bike up and saw a scratch on the oil cousing and starting trying to rub it to see how deep the scratches were, ended up burning his hand pretty badly. All around a bad time for him :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #566 on: September 24, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »
that reminds me of when I taught one of my brothers friends on the 82 yamaha. He was doing well, I got him going up and down the street after a while but he had to get out of the way of the car so he sort of panicked and slammed the front brake, all his weight shifted and while he put his legs down the bike was already going over. No big deal, just a few minor scratches.

He felt so bad he immediately picked the bike up and saw a scratch on the oil cousing and starting trying to rub it to see how deep the scratches were, ended up burning his hand pretty badly. All around a bad time for him :lol

Good gawd. Makes me wonder how I survived unscathed the first couple months riding my 540-something-pound Honda Shadow Phantom. I bought it 3 or 4 days after barely passing the MSF course. I had to have the dealer deliver it to my house. The dealership was only a few miles from home but I knew there was no way I could ride it. When it arrived in my slightly declining driveway, I thought, "Herrick, how are you even going to get this thing out of the driveway?". Terrifying times  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: September 25, 2019, 05:15:57 AM »
This reminds of back in college when I had my cbr600 I used to park it in the back porch because it was covered and we were on a first floor apartment. I remember coming home one day and it had rained, I'm slowly driving through the back yard and I just remember coming to a dead stop and almost in slow motion falling over to the side. I put my leg down but it too sunk into the mud :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #568 on: September 28, 2019, 04:03:52 PM »
I don't know if I complained about the noise I've been getting out of the front brake when coming to a stop. It's a weird musical horn-like noise. I've had it since the 2nd day :( The front brake works fine but the noise is really annoying.

Well, I've read all sorts of things I could try but I'm not a mechanical mang. Also, I didn't want to be bothered bringing it to a dealership leaving it there for who knows how many days, then being told there's nothing they can do. I've heard this has happened to other people with the same problem.

So, the other day I tried using more rear brake & less front brake when coming to a stop. I haven't been using the rear brake that much due its weird position. I don't know if this is proper braking technique but I seem to be stopping within the same distance I was when I was using more front & less rear brake...and no noise!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:49:30 PM by Herrick »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #569 on: September 28, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »
Wow, that annoying. I'll have to listen with my bike and see if there's anything similar.

I remember being taught 70% front brake and 30% rear brake for best levels of stability in breaking. I do something like 50/50 and it seems to work pretty well.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #570 on: September 28, 2019, 05:42:53 PM »
Wow, that annoying. I'll have to listen with my bike and see if there's anything similar.

I remember being taught 70% front brake and 30% rear brake for best levels of stability in breaking. I do something like 50/50 and it seems to work pretty well.

I've always heard those percentages are the stopping power of each brake. I don't know how much front & rear brakes I've been applying for the past year. Probably something like 90% front & 10% rear.

I rode home today and no squeaks with smooth stops. Feels good mangs  :heart

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: September 28, 2019, 08:08:58 PM »

I've always heard those percentages are the stopping power of each brake. I don't know how much front & rear brakes I've been applying for the past year. Probably something like 90% front & 10% rear.

I rode home today and no squeaks with smooth stops. Feels good mangs  :heart

Yea the 70/30 rule is what I heard for stopping power. I make it habit to use both brakes all the time with speeds over 15mph. Anything under than that it's rear only. Navigating through a parking garage and grabbing a handful of front brake will lead to a bad time IMO.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #572 on: September 28, 2019, 08:16:00 PM »
Yea the 70/30 rule is what I heard for stopping power. I make it habit to use both brakes all the time with speeds over 15mph. Anything under than that it's rear only. Navigating through a parking garage and grabbing a handful of front brake will lead to a bad time IMO.

Oh yes. I'll use the front brake lightly when slowly going straight in a parking lot but when I have to make a turn even if it's into a parking space, I take my hand off the front brake to use the rear brake. I had a couple close calls when I started riding just on the side roads near my house. Not a nice feeling to almost drop that shiny new bike.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: September 29, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
yup, you really feel the weight when creeping around and grabbing the brake.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #574 on: October 03, 2019, 09:09:46 AM »
Been thinking about selling the CBR600. Mainly because I barley ever ride it now since getting the Harley.

Got the Harley in July and I've ridden the CBR only twice since then vs putting over a 1000 miles on the Harley already. In addition, I'm paying around $660 a year in insurance for the CBR vs the $150 a year for the Harley.

The bikes aren't where I live since I don't have a garage, so that makes it hard as well. I figure I sell it now, and eventually when I get a place with a garage then get an R6 or R1. Gotta think it over.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #575 on: October 03, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »
Damn $150 a year? I paid a little over $600 for my Low Rider :( Everything is expensive here in Munchkinland.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: October 03, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »
How much are you thinking of putting the cbr up for?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #577 on: October 03, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
Paid $7200 for it, so I would probably ask $7000 and see what offers I would get. I would prefer not going lower than $6500.

NADA is saying between $5500 and $7200

Probably would wait till spring though since we are going into winter.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: October 03, 2019, 05:56:35 PM »
Yea spring would be the best time to sell. Let me know how it goes!

I'm going to look for a phone mount for my bike, what are you guys using?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #579 on: October 03, 2019, 06:28:20 PM »
For the R6, I would recommend Ram mount, but you have to get 3 pieces

Motonosity explain it out pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbq-broqIzs

Even after a crash, it stayed on great. I think its great

For the Harley, I use Roam which is also great but you need handlebars to clip it on to

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #580 on: October 03, 2019, 06:51:28 PM »
I don't have a phone mount yet. I really should get one since I'm shit with directions.

Phoenix, why haven't you been riding your CBR?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: October 03, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »
Sweet thanks. I used to have a rokform case for my phone ages ago that clipped onto my bike but when I switched phones I never got a new case.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #582 on: October 03, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »
I don't have a phone mount yet. I really should get one since I'm shit with directions.

Its incredibly uncomfortable  :P

And my riding is getting longer and longer in distance. Sure its intense fun, but you start aching after 30mins. The Harley is such a more enjoyable ride.

I also am kind of a reverse Hoarder. If something is just sitting around not getting used, I feel like getting rid of it, lol.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:03:33 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #583 on: October 04, 2019, 04:31:57 PM »

And my riding is getting longer and longer in distance. Sure its intense fun, but you start aching after 30mins. The Harley is such a more enjoyable ride.

I also am kind of a reverse Hoarder. If something is just sitting around not getting used, I feel like getting rid of it, lol.

That makes sense. You ever look into any sport-touring bikes or adventure bikes? Those seem to offer a good balance of comfortable distance riding and performance.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #584 on: October 04, 2019, 05:46:28 PM »
Definitely something to think about. I just don't really have enough time to full blown adventure out, so I could see that sitting as well. I tried out my friend's Suzuki V-strom once and really didn't like it. Even though they are damn good for adventure riding.

What I really want to do is start staging the Harley. So definitely a Stage I upgrade and maybe even a Stage II upgrade as well. I want to see this thing really reach its full potential.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:54:56 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #585 on: October 04, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
Definitely something to think about. I just don't really have enough time to adventure out, so I could see that sitting as well. I tried out my friend's Suzuki V-strom once and really didn't like it. Even though they are damn good for adventure riding.

What I really want to do is start staging the Harley. So definitely a Stage I upgrade and maybe even a Stage II upgrade as well. I want to see this thing really reach its full potential.

Even with all those Stage upgrades you'll still have a hole in yo heart that only a sporty bike can fill :biggrin:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #586 on: October 04, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »
Very true

My goal would be to get a place with a garage maybe 2-3 years from now, and then I'll probably get an R6 or R1 as a 2nd bike.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: October 04, 2019, 08:30:19 PM »

Agree with you on the comfort part, I still love my R6 but I totally understand and apart from the R6 I'm with you on the reverse hoarding. If I had to move out it would take one van and I'd get everything in there minus the bike, it'd take my wife a couple of moving trucks

Offline frogprog

« Reply #588 on: October 06, 2019, 06:13:32 AM »
Kinda different from the bikes you guys are discussing, but I went to an awesome bike store in Manyunk (just outside Philly) yesterday.The shop was located in an old factory building with lots of metal, timbers and old wood floors. Really cool building. They had some used bikes but all the new ones were Triumph, BMW and Royal Enfields. What awesome machines! Reply mechanical works of art.I was particularly loving the Triumphs. Bonnevilles, Scramblers, Thrukstons and my personal favorite the Triumph Tiger which WILL be my next bike (after I get my daughter her first car).
The owner was a super nice guy who chatted with me for a while and then told me to hang out and have fun even though I was just browsing. Shout out to Vince from Quaker City Motorcycles!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: October 06, 2019, 07:27:54 AM »
That sounds really cool frog! I just looked up the Triumph Tiger and that looks like a killer bike.

The weather has finally changed here, can't wait to do some riding this week.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #590 on: October 06, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
Yeah, the Triumph Tiger looks very cool. Very versatile

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #591 on: October 06, 2019, 05:44:22 PM »
That's cool, Frogprog. Which Tiger are you going to get?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #592 on: October 06, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »
Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the pipes I wanted. Vance and Hines big radius 2 into 2 for $725

Supposed to arrive Friday and then I will schedule a time to do the Stage one upgrade.

Here's how it looks now:

And this is what it will look like with the new pipes:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:42:52 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: October 07, 2019, 05:08:56 AM »
That is a way better look. How much will the sound change?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #594 on: October 07, 2019, 07:01:43 AM »
Its gonna be a huge change sound wise. Right now its dull, and buzzy and probably a 3 out of 10 in loudness.

The new pipes will have a deep, aggressive growl. Mean sounding, with probably a 7 or 8 out of 10 loudness.

In addition to the better breathing pipes, they are gonna re-map the fuel and dyno tune everything, so it gonna run and perform way better. I can't wait.