Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 74083 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #525 on: August 30, 2019, 08:58:27 PM »
Congrats on getting your new bike  :metal :metal

The M8 is such a kickass engine. I agree about the buckhorn bars, they felt a little awkward to me as well. Besides that, its a sweet bike.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #526 on: August 30, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
Congrats on getting your new bike  :metal :metal

The M8 is such a kickass engine. I agree about the buckhorn bars, they felt a little awkward to me as well. Besides that, its a sweet bike.

It's a huge upgrade from the Honda 750. The fugging torque even in first gear was surprising.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #527 on: August 31, 2019, 05:21:56 AM »
That is awesome

Is there anything you want to eventually do to it, like Pipes, highway pegs, or saddlebags?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #528 on: August 31, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »
That is awesome

Is there anything you want to eventually do to it, like Pipes, highway pegs, or saddlebags?

Just saddlebags for now. Maybe a small fairing in the future. I have very little cash at the moment. I wonder why  ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #529 on: August 31, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »
Very cool.

And speaking of saddle bags. Today's little project was a pain in the ass, but the bags are on.

Now I just want to put on some pipes and it will be done ;D

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #530 on: August 31, 2019, 03:05:49 PM »
How difficult was it to put those bags on? Are those Viking bags?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #531 on: August 31, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »
Yeah viking bags. Which I like a lot and were a bargain. Like 200 bucks. There's a big clearance sale still going on I think.

Difficulty wise, I would say the install was like a 5.5 out of 10.

Had to relocate the rear turn signals which required a lot of fingers squeezing into the underside of the fender and wrenching lose the bolts. That part sucked. Then, there's hole already drilled to feed the wires through the fender, but the idiots didn't make it big enough to get the end connector through  :P

So you can either cut the wires and re-attach (no thanks) or do what I did which was drill the hole a little bigger, which worked perfectly.

After that putting the bags on themselves wasn't too bad. I think I need to play with them a little more to make them fit best.

My friend has Dedicated harley bags which seem to fit more flush against the bike, but are $800 dollars more, so I'll make the best of it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #532 on: August 31, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
Damn. Sounds like too much work for Herrick.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: September 01, 2019, 10:11:51 AM »
Bags look great, are they waterproof?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #534 on: September 01, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »
Thanks. They are completely waterproof. They have an outer layer that make them look leather, but its actually a hard shell plastic.

Reaper, did you see my post on the previous page about the Harley Livewire Demo day I did. That bike is mental how cool it is and I think you would love the performance it has.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: September 02, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
Oh yea I did! I'm sorry I was travelling and didn't get to respond. I'd love to take a electric bike for a spin. The torque on them is nuts I hear.

I just got back from visiting the bmw motorrad dealer on park ln in london and omg. The bikes there are stunning, I have pictures I'll upload later in the weekend when I get back.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #536 on: September 02, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
That's awesome. Can't wait to see the pics

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: September 02, 2019, 01:02:51 PM »
It's an all around cool dealer, the car side of it was sweet too. Just down the block was the aston Martin dealer to which was awesome however they had signs asking for no pictures so I didn't push it.

Also, I hope to one day be on the level of rider as the guys and gals in paris. I dont believe guys I've met at the track have such awareness and control of their bikes. It's one thing to have high speed control but the type of low speed maneuvers these guys had was next level. It may seem reckless but the riders in paris toss their motorcycles around as if they were bicycles. Google some videos.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #538 on: September 10, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »
Picked the Harley up today from getting the 1000 mile service and inspection. That ran $368 total  :P   but oh well I guess. It had to get done.

One thing I will say is that the Harley service department sucks. Sorry to rant a little, but here it goes:

Drop it off yesterday at noon and they ask when I want to pick it up. I say Tuesday at 10am, they write that down and say cool. So I call at 10am and ask if its ready for pick up. "oh its totally done work wise, but the paperwork isn't done and Bob does the billing paperwork and he doesn't come in till 11am"  Ok, wtf. Service department opens at 8am and the one single guy that can do billing paperwork comes in a 11am???

So I show up at 11:30am and I'm like "hi, I'm here to pick up" and the guy is like "oh you called earlier, we said we'd call you when everything is done and ready". No you didn't and Get real dude, seriously. No, you aren't gonna call me. The bike is done, I'm here. Go find bob and have him initial this piece of paper. Jesus

Any service this isn't Harley specific I am doing at a different place from now on. I have never had any issue like that before. I love my Harley, but the attitude there is really lame.

The one good piece of news that I got was that my bike's factory Air cleaning is already the Stage 1 cleaner, so I just need to get the pipes I want and the Fuel Kit computer piece and then my bike is going stage 1. Its gonna be around $1200 to do it all, and I am already itching to do it.

At least the day ended well when I decided to go nuclear  ;D

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: September 10, 2019, 05:29:57 PM »
That sounds exactly when I took my Hyundai in for recall work. "We said we'd call you when it's ready" That line almost made me blackout from anger

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #540 on: September 10, 2019, 06:46:37 PM »
Ah yes the lovely dealership experience. It's shit like this that's keeping me from taking in my bike for the annoying loud horn-like sound coming out of the front brake.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #541 on: September 14, 2019, 08:15:49 PM »
Are there really only 3 of us on this forum who ride motorcycles?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: September 14, 2019, 08:19:42 PM »
I think so lol. I think Cool Chris used to ride, or still does, I can't remember.

I registered to Copart today and set up a few notifications to look for a project bike.

I originally wanted a project car but a bike is something a bit more manageable. I was wrenching on my BMW today and I just don't enjoy it as much as working on my R6.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #543 on: September 14, 2019, 08:38:15 PM »
I think so lol. I think Cool Chris used to ride, or still does, I can't remember.

I registered to Copart today and set up a few notifications to look for a project bike.

I originally wanted a project car but a bike is something a bit more manageable. I was wrenching on my BMW today and I just don't enjoy it as much as working on my R6.

You're going to build-up a bike? And I'm guessing you're back from your trip. How was it?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #544 on: September 15, 2019, 05:30:38 AM »
That Low rider is looking real sweet  :metal

Have you been getting time to ride it? How you liking it?

And yeah, unfortunately it looks like its just us three for now who are riding  :'(

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: September 15, 2019, 06:08:48 AM »

You're going to build-up a bike? And I'm guessing you're back from your trip. How was it?

It was unbelievable, the food was simply spectacular. The motorcycle riders there are head and shoulders above us in riding skill by the way. It was the first thing I noticed. When I went to France years ago I took the subway everywhere, this time I treated myself and took an uber/taxi almost everywhere. While riding to the hotel from teh airport during rush hour traffic bikes are just lane splitting the whole way with moving traffic, extremely aggressive, and everyone, I mean everyone does it. We also got to see Fast and Furious 9 being filmed in london. 10/10 trip.

I gave my bike an oil change yesterday so that's one thing down on my list of maintenance items. This winter I need to do brakes and brake fluid, spark plugs, and get my valves checked.

And yeah, unfortunately it looks like its just us three for now who are riding  :'(

We need some DTF patches :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #546 on: September 15, 2019, 06:30:03 AM »

We need some DTF patches :lol

Yeah, seriously  :lol

Glad you had a good trip.

For the project bike, do you know what style you want to build yet? Cruiser, standard, sport?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: September 15, 2019, 06:40:23 AM »
I'm not sure yet, I'm kind of at the mercy of finding a bike that isn't completely destroyed. Currently I have my eye on these two:

https://www.copart.com/lot/35747479 - 1200 Monster

https://www.copart.com/lot/44302859 - Another 1200

https://www.copart.com/lot/43751509 - FJ09

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #548 on: September 15, 2019, 06:46:29 AM »
Very nice. Any of those would be awesome when finished.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #549 on: September 15, 2019, 06:48:27 AM »
In reply to Herrick,
No I ride also. Not too much this year but I have a 2016 Honda CRF 250L dual sport so not really in the same league as you guys but still fun!
Sorry I don't know how to post pictures but I would like to be in the club! My brother has a really nice HD Road King so I'm cool by association when I ride with him

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: September 15, 2019, 07:41:17 AM »
Very nice. Any of those would be awesome when finished.

Yea I just want something to work on as a hobby. Now that my wedding is over I have some disposable income so i can have hobbies again :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #551 on: September 15, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »
That Low rider is looking real sweet  :metal

Have you been getting time to ride it? How you liking it?

Yeah I've been riding around but I don't really have anywhere to go. I have 4 weeks off and I just like to do nothing when I'm on vacation. But I've been riding at least every other day.

It was unbelievable, the food was simply spectacular. The motorcycle riders there are head and shoulders above us in riding skill by the way. It was the first thing I noticed. When I went to France years ago I took the subway everywhere, this time I treated myself and took an uber/taxi almost everywhere. While riding to the hotel from teh airport during rush hour traffic bikes are just lane splitting the whole way with moving traffic, extremely aggressive, and everyone, I mean everyone does it. We also got to see Fast and Furious 9 being filmed in london. 10/10 trip.

I'm sure they are. They have much more stringent requirements and multiple levels (I think) for licensing. It's kind of crazy how I took that little MSF course & permit test and I could've bought a giant CC cruiser or a super sport. The Honda salesmang didn't even ask to see my temporary motorcycle endorsement.

In reply to Herrick,
No I ride also. Not too much this year but I have a 2016 Honda CRF 250L dual sport so not really in the same league as you guys but still fun!
Sorry I don't know how to post pictures but I would like to be in the club! My brother has a really nice HD Road King so I'm cool by association when I ride with him

That's cool! You do off-road riding?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: September 15, 2019, 12:26:21 PM »
When I got my motorcycle license an endorsement wasn't even required. I could go to the DMV, get a learners permit (for motorcycles) by taking a written test and then go out and buy a hayabusa.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #553 on: September 15, 2019, 12:37:54 PM »
Yeah, same with me.

From zero experience at all, I could do the 10 min learners permit written test at the DMV and then immediately go get an H2. Pretty wild to think about honestly.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #554 on: September 16, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
Well, I learned a valuable lesson about loctite today and how I should have used when installing the bags.

The bolts shook free from the mounted brackets that the bags sit against and the housing fell apart  :P   must have lost a bolt on the road but didn't notice until this morning, when I fixed it. Then I go for a ride today and when I get back I noticed that the frame that I relocated the turn signals on also shook loose and was banging up and down on the rear fender  :P :P  So I fixed that too and I went over everything with Loctite

So fingers crossed, everything should stay where it belongs  :lol
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:49:17 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2019, 04:53:11 PM »
That sucks. Did you get a lot of damage on your bike?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2019, 05:23:21 PM »
No damage luckily. I'm glad I was able to notice it as soon as I did.

On another note, I don't know how long I can last without doing the stage 1 upgrade  :lol
Its the last piece to finish this bike. It supposed to give a 10% boost to performance so I can't wait to feel what that's like.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:31:15 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2019, 09:28:16 PM »
How is the stage 1 again? I mean Christmas is right around the corner, why not treat yourself?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2019, 04:33:35 AM »
$750 for the pipes
$300 for the power commander
Then probably $300 for installation and dyno tune.

Christmas sounds good

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: September 17, 2019, 05:10:26 AM »
That's not terrible. Have you been riding your CBR recently?