Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73990 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »
Sorry, I was ambiguous. The sport bike is definitely staying.

In comparison, the Harley has almost no power, which is fine for cruising, but I want to have a little more. And I'm going try and do track days with the CBR 600 as well. So two bikes will be on the menu for a while.

There's a black low rider that's about 2.5 hours away from me that I'm gonna try and go look at in the next two weeks, so we'll see how that goes.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2019, 04:00:44 PM »
Ok that's cool. Yeah you sounded like you really love that CBR600.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: July 16, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »

Yea I was confused for a second :lol

What are the torque numbers on that Harley?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #423 on: July 16, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »

Silly me  :blush

But anyway, so performance wise here's the break down. The one I looked at was the 2016.

2016 (Twin cam 103 cubic inch): 99.5 ft lbs of torque

2018/2019 (Milwaukee 8 107 cubic inch): 110 ft lbs of torque

Torque wise it felt ok, but honestly I think I'm spoiled from the Supersport and test riding the Milwaukee 8 engines. The 107, despite only having an extra 10 ft lbs of torque felt decent. Like right where I would want it to be at a minimum. The 114 (which is 118 ft lbs) was drop dead sexy power. It felt awesome, and the 2020 potentially might offer that option.

But anyway, with an upgraded exhaust and air intake, that would increase performance by 10% so that should do the trick for now.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #424 on: July 16, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »

Silly me  :blush

But anyway, so performance wise here's the break down. The one I looked at was the 2016.

2016 (Twin cam 103 cubic inch): 99.5 ft lbs of torque

2018/2019 (Milwaukee 8 107 cubic inch): 110 ft lbs of torque

Torque wise it felt ok, but honestly I think I'm spoiled from the Supersport and test riding the Milwaukee 8 engines. The 107, despite only having an extra 10 ft lbs of torque felt decent. Like right where I would want it to be at a minimum. The 114 (which is 118 ft lbs) was drop dead sexy power. It felt awesome, and the 2020 potentially might offer that option.

But anyway, with an upgraded exhaust and air intake, that would increase performance by 10% so that should do the trick for now.

That must be it, being very used to your Supersport. Everything I've read/watched about the new Softail (or Dynatail) with the M8 say the power to weight ratio is really fucking good. I might MIGHT look into trading my Honda Shadow Phantom in at the end of the month.

I hear they get more desperate to sell at the end of the month. The 30th is my "Friday" so I'm thinking, I'll stop in there before work to look around and tell them I'll come back tomorrow.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #425 on: July 16, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »

I hear they get more desperate to sell at the end of the month. The 30th is my "Friday" so I'm thinking, I'll stop in there before work to look around and tell them I'll come back tomorrow.

That sounds like a plan

I think HD hit it out of the park with the new softails honestly. Much lighter and the M8 is an awesome engine. The 107 was a lot of fun and I would be happy to have one, but no lie, the 114 was creating a comparable experience to the supersport, and that was when I was on the big fat boy. It was incredibly impressive.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »

That sounds like a plan

I think HD hit it out of the park with the new softails honestly. Much lighter and the M8 is an awesome engine. The 107 was a lot of fun and I would be happy to have one, but no lie, the 114 was creating a comparable experience to the supersport, and that was when I was on the big fat boy. It was incredibly impressive.

I guess those Stage kit things can level up a 107 so there's always that option. I suspect going from a 750 to a fucking 1768(?) cci engine will be more than enough for Herrick :D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2019, 07:34:40 PM »
Oh yeah,  just the stage 1 upgrade brings a lot of life to the engine. Not to mention that it looks and sounds cool.

Even the vanilla 107 I think you will dig.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2019, 07:46:08 PM »
Oh yeah,  just the stage 1 upgrade brings a lot of life to the engine. Not to mention that it looks and sounds cool.

Even the vanilla 107 I think you will dig.

Yeah the Low Rider is 130 pounds more than my Honda but over twice the engine displacement! I hope I don't drop it during the test ride. I got scrawny arms.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #429 on: July 18, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
Reaper, how did you get your bike to the track day? Did you trailer it or just ride it?

I'm trying to figure out how I want to get the CBR there. I'm definitely not riding it, so I was figuring either trailer which would be a pain in the ass since I don't have a trailer hook up on my car installed yet, or possibly just rent a van like this and use folding ramps and just ride it into the van and clamp down

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: July 18, 2019, 06:28:04 PM »
Depending on the track you may not be able to ride it, my track made you remove your kickstand as part of prep.

I had a company truck I used but it was actually nerve wrecking riding it up and down the ramp to the truck bed; I almost spilled it once.

The van is a fantastic idea! do you have a rear stand? If not I recommend getting a T-Rex stand, prep the bike the day before put it in the van and off you go.

What bike prep do you have to do for the track? Mine was pretty easy, no mirrors, taped lights, no kickstand. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: July 18, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »
Damnit, now I'm itching to do a track day. I'm going to try and get out a few times this fall.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #432 on: July 19, 2019, 04:08:23 AM »
I was gonna do it with EvolveGT and luckily they let you keep your kickstand on. Just need to take off the mirrors and tape the lights and I am good to go.

I have a rear wheel stand as well, so that is set. I got the idea for the van after I bought the SV650, they dropped it off in a van just like that and I was like "damn, that's a good way to transport the bike". It was so effortless.

The real irony is that I was completely gung ho ready to do a track day and then the accident happened like two weeks beforehand and that completely set everything back. The repairs to the bike were easier then I thought, so I think its track worthy at this point, so if I do it this year, it will probably be in the fall.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: July 19, 2019, 06:14:54 PM »
I'm excited for you, it's so addicting.

This is a little off topic but I've always wanted to track my car but if anything happens in my car that will get expensive quick.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #434 on: July 19, 2019, 07:30:55 PM »
I would track my car too, if it wasn't a toyota corolla  :lol

I've honestly completely lost interest in cars. Had an 85 trans am in high school and then a 92 RS Camaro in college. In addition I got to drive my mom's 90 corvette and 88 formula firebird quite a bit and it all just ran its course honestly. By age 25 I bought a corolla and never looked back.

No matter how hard I ran any of those cars, nothing compares to my CBR 600. I swear to god, when I am in the rev range and I pull that throttle, I am screaming "oh my god, oh my god" and laughing with tears of joy coming down my cheeks. My heart is racing and I truly feel alive.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: July 20, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
:lol I know the feeling. I like cars but I love bikes, I'm looking at co-part so I can find a nice project bike for the winter maybe.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #436 on: July 22, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
Well my plans of buying a new Low Rider have been foiled. I co-signed a loan for someone 5 years ago and it's come back to haunt me. Just got hit with bad mark on my credit report and the score went down. NEVER AGAIN shall I co-sign  >:(

I could probably still get the bike (I hear HD Financial will fucking approve anyone) but I don't want to pay a huge interest rate even if I can afford the monthly payment. There's a chance I can get this bad mark on my credit report removed so I'm going to focus on that for now.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: July 22, 2019, 09:14:53 PM »
that sucks!! It's tough with bikes because a lot of bikes see them as recreational vehicles so they don't play ball as much with the financing terms (my experience)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #438 on: July 22, 2019, 09:29:11 PM »
that sucks!! It's tough with bikes because a lot of bikes see them as recreational vehicles so they don't play ball as much with the financing terms (my experience)

I've heard the same. The bright side is I just paid off my car and my Honda will be paid off in a couple months so that should help my credit score. Then again I've heard  paying shit off can actually lower one's credit score ???

If I can get this bad report removed, then I'll trade in the Honda later this year or early next year and hopefully end up putting more towards the Low Rider than I was initially planning. And maybe I can get a Low Rider cheaper since it won't be peak riding season.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #439 on: July 22, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
That sucks.

Did you get a chance to test ride it at all?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #440 on: July 22, 2019, 11:12:43 PM »
That sucks.

Did you get a chance to test ride it at all?

Nah. I think a test ride might get me too hyped up over it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: July 27, 2019, 07:31:42 AM »
Someone at work rides a new Ducati Diaval and that has become my new obsession. I love that bike, for some reason I thought it was $13k, I was surprised when it's actually $20k. Maybe I can score a used one sometime.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #442 on: July 27, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »
The Diaval is such an awesome bike. The comfort of a cruiser, the power of a super bike. An excellent combination and I wish more manufacturers would make something like it. With some time and some searching I could see you being able to find one for a price you would be happy with.

A youtube Motovloger I follow had one and he loved it. Cyclecruza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ySsL2BNmY

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #443 on: July 27, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »
If I wanted a fusion of cruiser & sportbike at molecular-genetic level, I'd be more interested in a Kawasaki Vulcan 650. I know it's not a superbike but it's quite sporty for what it is.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: July 27, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
I love the vulcan, I saw an all black one a few days ago so I pulled over to check it out :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #445 on: July 30, 2019, 04:58:52 AM »
Going to look at a 2016 low rider today. Pissing my pants with excitement. Hopefully, this is the one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:07:47 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #446 on: July 30, 2019, 05:38:24 AM »
As someone who's never ride a motorcycle of some sort except for 50cc's when I was a kid. I have a noobish question. How fatigued do your right hand/wrist get when you use the throttle for longer rides, it just seems so uncomfortable for your wrist or maybe it's not like that all?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: July 30, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
Every bike is different. My hand is ok for a few hours of riding but when I did my 600 mile trip on my sportbike it killed for a few days after. There are lots of cruise control solutions out there for all sorts of bikes if you're interested in doing long rides.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #448 on: July 30, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
I keep my hand loose around the throttle and that helps a lot. Besides that, it really depends on how long the ride is. Anything under 45 mins, there's no problem at all. After that i just periodically take my hand off the throttle and shake it out, and that pretty much puts things back to normal.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:25:18 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #449 on: July 30, 2019, 06:03:11 PM »
Sorry for the Double post, but i wanted this to have its own post

Today I bought a 2016 Harley low rider. Student loans be damed  :lol

It only had 433 miles, and I got it for $10,995. I am very happy. This bike is fantastic. Rhode it like 130 miles back from the baltimore area and it was like a dream to ride. Super comfortable. And power wise, I really had a lot of time to play around with it and there's suitable power, but you have to work for it to get it. Which is fine.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:23:05 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: July 30, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »
Fuck me that's a gorgeous bike. Congrats!!!!

How loud is it?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #451 on: July 30, 2019, 06:15:26 PM »
Thanks

Surprisingly, the stock pipes sound pretty loud. They went to fill it with gas and I could hear it pulling back in the parking lot, which made me very happy. Its has a real deep rumble and at higher RPMs its got a decent growl.

I'm gonna save up some more cash and will eventually throw on some vance and hines, but so far so good.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #452 on: July 30, 2019, 06:34:36 PM »
Every bike is different. My hand is ok for a few hours of riding but when I did my 600 mile trip on my sportbike it killed for a few days after. There are lots of cruise control solutions out there for all sorts of bikes if you're interested in doing long rides.

I keep my hand loose around the throttle and that helps a lot. Besides that, it really depends on how long the ride is. Anything under 45 mins, there's no problem at all. After that i just periodically take my hand off the throttle and shake it out, and that pretty puts things back to normal.
:tup

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #453 on: July 30, 2019, 09:26:04 PM »
Wow mang! Very nice and very low mileage. $10K sounds like a good deal :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #454 on: July 31, 2019, 04:38:47 AM »
Thanks

And honestly, despite doing 130 miles yesterday, I woke up today feeling great. When I try and do that with the supersport, I can barley walk the next day and am aching bad  :lol

I can finally start planning some longer distance trips  :smiley:

Just need to get some highway pegs and some saddle bags and then its giddy up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 05:41:22 AM by Phoenix87x »