Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72936 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #385 on: June 14, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »
Probably something between 2013 and 2017, which have this styling:

I LOVE the paint scheme and overall styling on these. Plus they are more in my price range. And up until 2017 they were still dynas and then in 2018 they switched to these types which are now softails I believe:

Gonna have to do some test rides and see how some of them feel.

The only harley I've ridden was my friend's 2008 Super glide which was a dyna I believe and it felt fantastic. Rhode smooth and was very comfortable, so if the older low riders are anything like that, then I'm down.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:52:38 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #386 on: June 14, 2019, 09:31:12 PM »
Yeah that looks good.

I shouldn't even be looking at other bikes. I don't have any money and my current bike isn't paid off. My Honda Shadow Phantom is really perfect for the kind of riding I do. BUTT I can't help drooling over the Indian Scout and the new HD Low Riders.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #387 on: June 29, 2019, 11:36:34 AM »
Oh boy what a day. Stopped by the Harley Davidson dealership for a demo day and it was awesome:

I rode 4 different bikes:

Fat Boy - (AKA the Terminator 2 bike)-  Oh my god, did I LOVE this bike. It was so incredibly comfortable. And what really blew my mind was how light it felt as well as nimble and maneuverable. It also packed very decent power. If I had the money I would have bought one today. It was that good. 

FXDR- I don't know what kind of crack HD was smoking when they created this thing, but they had to be high. Its supposed be their brand new performance bike, but it was truly god awful. My bike is a super sport race bike and the FXDR made my bike feel like a cadillac. It was insanely uncomfortable and the performance was underwhelming. I wanted to get off before we even made it out of the parking lot.

Someone thought it was a good idea to have clip ons AND forward controls and the result is the worst riding experience I have ever had in my life. It folds you like a taco and Made me not want to ride and that is a major problem. 

Iron 1200 Sportster- Very fun and cool little bike, and super comfortable. Almost zero power though and that's the only negative that I an think of. This would be a perfect Starter bike imo.

Sport Glide- Very decent bike. No complaints really

There's was no low rider unfortunately, but the sport glide was pretty close in feel I think. Overall, a great day and I Definitely want to get a Harley now.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:21:05 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #388 on: June 29, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »
That's cool, mang. Too bad they're so fucking expensive...even the used ones.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: June 29, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »
A lot of cool bikes there. I have to see if they are doing a demo near me sometime.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #390 on: July 07, 2019, 10:23:33 AM »
So there's this new company that is making Retro bikes by hand. They are called Janus

Not something I would buy personally, but I find them to be pretty cool regardless.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: July 07, 2019, 11:44:20 AM »
that is a really nice bike. I haven't checked the site out yet but I wonder if they do upgrades to make the bikes more reliable. My buddy has had a few cafe racers and while they were aesthetically pleasing they were a bitch to keep running.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: July 08, 2019, 07:29:26 AM »
So. I'm considering taking the plunge and will try and make some progress towards getting a motorcycle license this fall. I like the idea of doing some touring and exploration. Any recommendations for a man in his 30s starting from scratch?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #393 on: July 08, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
So. I'm considering taking the plunge and will try and make some progress towards getting a motorcycle license this fall. I like the idea of doing some touring and exploration. Any recommendations for a man in his 30s starting from scratch?

That's awesome.

The first step I would recommend is to take MSF course (Motorcycle safety course)

https://www.msf-usa.org/

Its a 2-4 day course and its starts 100% from scratch for people who have never been on a bike before. The first 2 days are in a class room and go over all the knowledge you need to know to ride. Then the 2nd 2 days are on a closed course (basically a huge parking lot that is fenced off for teaching) and there they provide a beginner 250cc motorcycle and a helmet as well, so basically you just show up, which is very convenient. At the end of the course, they test you on what you have learned and then they give you your license right there on the spot.

Some states its free and some states you have to pay, but it was fundamental in making me feel safe and confident in riding. I was 26 when I took the course and had never sat on a bike before and now I ride all the time and love it.

For my state I had to get a learners permit first to sign up for MSF, which basically you just go to the DMV and take a short 20ish multiple choice question test on the computer and then they print the learners permit for you. Then you can sign up. And the material to learn for the learners permit is on your state's DMV website. Just real basic driving stuff.

I hope that helps and Any questions you have at any point along the way feel free to ask.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: July 08, 2019, 08:20:40 AM »
Should have pointed out: I am based in Sweden so suggestions for specific courses might not be directly applicable to me, but I appreciate the help regardless! I will be looking for a similar course offered locally.

One question I can directly ask is what size of bike to start with. Since I am an older driver I think I can go directly for an A licence (no limits to power) but since I have no prior road or motorcycle experience it was suggested to start off with something on the smaller end. The A1/A2 licences allow 125 and 250 cc respectively which would be the more natural progression for a younger driver in europe, but given my build (6ft, 200 lbs+) the people i have talked with so far seemed to think aiming for around the 200-300 cc mark seemed more sensible. Seems like there are a fair number of affordable and decently fast bikes available around that power bracket.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: July 08, 2019, 08:31:23 AM »
You are the same height and weight as me so I'd probably look for a 250 or 500cc if you can. What style of bike do you like? You said your be touring so are you looking for something more of a sport touring bike or cruiser? See if there are demo days at dealerships nearby when you get your license you can experience different riding styles and positions.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #396 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:18 AM »
What style of bike do you like?

Yeah, that was the same question I was gonna ask as well before making any recommendations, since the cc's recommendation will vary based on bike style

The 3 main styles are Cruiser, standard and sport

Cruiser is like a Harley, but other companies have decent ones as well. Upright seating position and comfortable for long rides

Sportbikes are the "crotch rockets". More leaned over Racing position. Incredibly fun, but not good for long distance

Standards are like hybrids of the two. Upright seating position, but the power of a sport bike. Like this:

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #397 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »
You are the same height and weight as me so I'd probably look for a 250 or 500cc if you can. What style of bike do you like? You said your be touring so are you looking for something more of a sport touring bike or cruiser? See if there are demo days at dealerships nearby when you get your license you can experience different riding styles and positions.

I really have no great preference currently, but from what I have read and watched it seems like bikes that are a bit taller or else have a more "classical" sitting position seem to be more comfortable for longer trips, which would imply a cruiser, adventure bike or standard type would be well suited. The current bikes that have piqued my interest are these two:

https://www.bmw-motorrad.se/en/models/adventure/g310gs.html#/section-everyday-adventures

http://www.hondamc.com/produkt/cb300r-2018/

This is based on quite minimal reading, but these two seem relatively affordable and a good place to start my search at least. My plan of course is to try and find some local dealerships to sit on the bikes a while and see how they feel, but this is a whiles away yet.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #398 on: July 08, 2019, 09:06:38 AM »
The G310 GS is a cool bike. And very decent if you anticipate any partially paved or unpaved roads.

I have Honda CBR 600RR and I have the utmost respect for Honda's reliability (and all Japanese made bikes honestly). Never once had a problem with the bike and CB300r would be a great starter bike. The 300cc class is great for beginners.

I would also throw in the Suzuki SV650 and Yamaha MT-07 if you want something that is both good for beginners, but also something you could enjoy for a few years without getting tired of. Both have the upright seating position and a little extra power that you can grow in to.

The SV650 was my first bike and it felt great and was a fantastic bike. I just outgrew it too fast.

I am guessing they will provide a 250cc (Which is very close to a 300cc) in whichever course you have. By the end of the course, you will know for sure if you want to stay at that cc or go a little higher. When I was done I felt like 500cc or 650cc was more what I wanted to go to.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:14:10 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: July 08, 2019, 09:16:02 AM »
Oooh, I like the Yamaha.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #400 on: July 08, 2019, 06:52:42 PM »
Do they make Adventure bikes like the Suzuki V-Strom in lower CCs? I think something like that would be good for XJDenton's height and weight. They have windshields and seem more touring-ready than something like a naked bike or a sport bike.

Edit: Could a 650 V-Strom be good for a beginner? They aren't crotch rockets by any means.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2019, 07:25:34 PM »
The 650 V strom could definitely be a decent option, considering his height. I'm 5' 10'' and I tried to ride my friend's right after getting my license and I had a lot of trouble with it. I was on tip toes and it felt heavy and awkward.

But that being said, the 650 engine on that bike is very manageable, extremely reliable and its awesome at off road, so it would definitely be worthwhile for him to check out.

Here goes a V strom pic for reference:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: July 08, 2019, 08:28:14 PM »
Phoenix beat me to it but the SV650 and MT-07 are awesome all around bikes.

The V-Strom is an excellent bike but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. My buddy has one and I put some miles on it, it's an awesome sport tourer but that riding position takes a lot to get used to. I'm 6' tall and I've been riding for many years and when getting on the v-strom it made me feel like I was getting on a motorcycle for the first time because the seating position was so high.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #403 on: July 08, 2019, 09:30:53 PM »
I stayed away from the sport adventure type bikes because I was worried about the seat height. I really liked the looks of the Kawasaki Versys too :( I'm 5'8" with a 32-inch inseam. If you taller mangs felt weird on the V-Strom then that means I made the right decision :biggrin:

I still like the idea of those adventure sport touring bikes though. They really seems like the do-it-all motorcycle!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: July 09, 2019, 06:59:26 AM »
Do they make Adventure bikes like the Suzuki V-Strom in lower CCs? I think something like that would be good for XJDenton's height and weight. They have windshields and seem more touring-ready than something like a naked bike or a sport bike.

Edit: Could a 650 V-Strom be good for a beginner? They aren't crotch rockets by any means.

The other option I have read about is that you can buy a higher rated bike and just limit the engine. It's a bit more common in Europe to do that since they have the 3 different motorbike licence classes that limit the engine size.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #405 on: July 09, 2019, 08:42:05 AM »

The other option I have read about is that you can buy a higher rated bike and just limit the engine. It's a bit more common in Europe to do that since they have the 3 different motorbike licence classes that limit the engine size.

That's not a bad idea. I didn't even know that was possible. Learned something new  :lol

For me personally, I would have been bored with a 250cc or 300cc with-in a week, so if I had the option I would get the 650cc, see how it feels and then down tune from there if need be.

From my experience with them, if you do go for one of the lower cc's, do at least 300cc. I wouldn't feel safe taking a 250 on a highway honestly. 300's have a little extra umph to hang with traffic.

And one more bike I want to throw out there is the Ninja 500cc. I would definitely describe it as a beginner friendly power wise. In addition to that, there's the comfortable upright seating position and you can find them dirt cheap

And just curious, what price range were you looking at?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #406 on: July 09, 2019, 09:31:00 AM »
I haven't thought about it too much, but I guess 5-10 kEuro. Obviously I need to factor in the costs of insurance and such like as well, which is part of the reason I am a bit hesitant to go straight for a powerful bike since a new rider on a full-licence rated bike is probably going to be considered high risk (though I fully understand why you think a bit more power is a good thing.)

I looked further into the Yamaha options and it seems that in Europe they also offer the MT-03, which is similar to the MT-07 but with a 321 cc engine.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:49:12 AM by XJDenton »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #407 on: July 09, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
Just looked at some pics of the MT-03. That looks really cool and that would be an awesome beginner bike. Shame we didn't have that in the states when I was starting out, since I would have been heavily considering it as a first bike.

I'm trying to check out a Yamaha demo day this summer if I can, since I really want to try out the MT-09, which is a beast of a bike, but in general the MT line has really impressed me so far.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:52:13 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: July 09, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
The MT-09 is such a nice bike, I have to do a google search and see if i can find a demo around here.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #409 on: July 09, 2019, 05:57:52 PM »
With-in Driving distance of Charlotte

Here are the bikes that will be there:

Venture
Eluder
Bolt
FJR1300
Tenere
MT-10
MT-09
MT-07
XSR900
XSR700
Niken
Niken GT
Tracer GT
R6
R3

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: July 09, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
I'm going to try and make the one in August! Thank you Phoenix! I wish I didn't have plans otherwise I'd go to both events. :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #411 on: July 09, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
No problem.

We'll have to compare notes for sure. The MT-09 is my main priority, and then the R6 is the next priority (Neither have I ridden yet)

If its not too crowded, I want to try the XSR900 and the Bolt as well.

An Perhaps even the Niken??

This thing is looks mental  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: July 09, 2019, 08:27:45 PM »
:lol I wonder how that thing rides.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #413 on: July 10, 2019, 08:16:42 AM »
I could only imagine.

So there's a 2016 Harley low rider with 8,000 miles for $11,999 that I've come across. With my riding days becoming more and more long distance, I'm thinking about getting it. The real question is do I trade in the CBR600?

At this point in my life I definitely don't need 2 bikes, but It would be hard parting with it. Its mind numbing performance I truly love.

Gotta think it over

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #414 on: July 10, 2019, 08:36:10 AM »
Sounds like you love your Honda too much. Can you put some cash down on the Low Rider and finance the rest?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #415 on: July 10, 2019, 09:05:11 AM »
I actually been putting a little away each month for a couple years at this point, so I can actually do the Low Rider as strait cash.

Really, I should just put that money toward student loans, but that's no fun  :P

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #416 on: July 16, 2019, 02:48:01 PM »
Herrick, do you have any interest at all in sport bikes? Like either supersport or sport standards?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #417 on: July 16, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »
Herrick, do you have any interest at all in sport bikes? Like either supersport or sport standards?

Nah mang.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #418 on: July 16, 2019, 03:29:21 PM »
Its all good. I was just curious.

In other news, I test rode this 2016 low rider today

Incredibly comfortable. Really fit like a glove and this would be perfect for long distance. Not a lot of power in the 103 engine to be honest, but it is what it is. The new Milwaukee 8 engines in the 2018 and up low rider is much faster, but that will be a later down the line bike.

Riding this bike today put to bed any thoughts of selling the Super sport, lol. So yeah, I would have bought this bike today if it was black, so its just a matter of finding a black one and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #419 on: July 16, 2019, 03:40:30 PM »
So you are going to sell your sportbike?

Are you looking at dealerships or Craigslist or both? I have not seen any used Low Riders at the two dealerships near me and I've no interest in traveling to another neighboring state.