Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73873 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »
Ha you're the same age as me with a sport bike lol. My insurance was a lot more back when I was in Florida, one of the few benefits of moving NC is that insurance rates are lowe .

Kindred sprits indeed. Its a shame we are so far apart that we can't ride.

But in other news, I was able to take the bike out today. It was a little chilly at 45 degrees, but the bright ass sun definitely made a huge difference. Wasn't in the best of moods the past few days. Being able to take the bike out turned that around real quick. It always puts a smile on my face.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: March 19, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
Yea nothing clears the mind better than a bike ride. 45 is usually my cutoff for riding, if I have to do a lot of highway driving I don't like to go below 50. I have to get a new battery for my bike, I'll do that once it's warm enough for me to ride more regularly. Now that you've had your bike for a while any complaints or things you want to change? Any mods in the works?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
In all honesty, I have zero complaints with this bike. Barely even had the SV650 two months before I was ready for something else, but man, this CBR 600 just fits me like a glove across the board and there's not a thing I want to change and I have no desire to replace it at all.

I do want to check out a Yamaha and Honda demo day to try a R1 and CBR1000RR, and from there I will think about whether I need more than what I have.

One thing I still need to do is get the CBR600 to the track, which I definitely want to do at least once this summer. Its only there that I can see and the full potential of the bike.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:20:42 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2019, 11:02:54 PM »
Mangs (and womangs) the last week was good. I didn't drive my car from Saturday until Friday. Just rode to work because the weather was decent. Riding really makes that trip to work really nice. Anything in the 30s is ok for me as long as it's not raining or snowing. Unfortunately, it rained today and it was windy. It'll be windy tomorrow (today) so I won't be riding. Oh well.

I'm interested to see how I will hold up in the hot and humid weather on this crappy Island. I don't see myself wearing my motorcycle jacket and getting to work all sweaty and stuff...I don't know. Will definitely wear my helmet even if The Law made it optional, and I'll wear my lighter gloves...but the jacket...I'm not sure.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2019, 09:42:06 PM »
I have a summer jacket for those hot days. Typically my ride to work is never that bad but when I get home I’m usually pretty sweaty. I’m jealous you’re riding already. It’s too cold to ride into work in the morning.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »
I have a summer jacket for those hot days. Typically my ride to work is never that bad but when I get home I’m usually pretty sweaty. I’m jealous you’re riding already. It’s too cold to ride into work in the morning.

I got lucky this winter. I was able to ride at least three times every month of winter. Granted some of those rides were very uncomfortable. We didn't have any major snow storms on Long Island. Usually, we get a couple where the snow lays around for over a week and the side roads become one-lane roads. When will you be able to start riding again?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2019, 06:28:56 AM »
When my last car died, I took the bike to work for about 2 weeks before getting a new car and it really wasn't for me.

I am like half awake when going to work and dealing with the rush hour traffic is not fun at all. The bike is more of a recreation thing for me and I enjoy it so much more when I can make a whole day out of it.

It got the job done though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2019, 06:43:46 AM »
My commute now is a lot better than what it was in Florida. Towards the end of my time in Florida I lived 32 miles from work which equated to 1.5 hour commute, much longer if it was raining or there was a pileup. My bike saved my ass many times, if there was an accident I'd slowly creep on the emergency lane or if traffic was really backed up, some days I'd get home in 45 minutes.

Now I live much closer to work but I still have some added benefits, the first 6 miles to work is a country twisty road with no lights, it's gotten a little sketch recently because of water pipes the city has been installing so there are some big gravel spots. The final 6 miles is city traffic which is slower but I get to park in the building I work in instead of walking 7 minutes from my current parking spot (I'm on a 3 year waiting list for parking in my building). I do feel you Phoenix, some mornings I just don't want to do it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »
If I had a long commute to work then I probably wouldn't ride nearly as much. My trip is only 9-10 miles so it's pretty fun.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2019, 12:54:45 AM »
The weather here in Munchkinland has warmed up nicely. 40s and 50s. Thinking about removing the heated wraps from my handlebars. Twas only 49 degrees on the ride home and I didn't even need to turn on my heated gloves. So nice  ;D

The very hot and humid weather won't start for a few months. I thought I'd be an all gear all the time kinda mang but I don't know if I'll even wear my summer jacket while riding. I don't want to arrive at work all sweaty. We shall see.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2019, 04:51:13 AM »
This week will be the first week that I can ride to work, sadly I'll be working in San Diego instead :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #326 on: April 10, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »
Well, here goes my day...

I went to get an oil change and an inspection. Was making my way back. The last thing I remember was seeing that traffic up ahead was slowing to a stop and I started to slow down as well. I remember there being a decent cushion of space between me and the traffic ahead, which I typically try and do in traffic.

Woke up in the ambulance.

I will spare you the road rash photos, but they range from mild to moderate. Short of a race suit, I had full gear on and I credit it to saving my life today. Full faced helmet, full leather riding jacket, Armored jeans, boots and riding gloves. All really helped today.

I don't remember much, but if I had to guess. I would say I was either hit from behind or I may have locked up the breaks and went down. I don't really know. I still haven't seen the bike yet, but its damage will hopefully give me a better idea.

At the end of the day I am grateful to be alive and look at this as a learning experience. I was lucky to be able to go home from the hospital today with just the rash, so its time to rest up for a little bit.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #327 on: April 11, 2019, 08:50:42 AM »
glad you're ok.  Crazy that you don't know what even happened.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate that.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it all day. Trying to see if any more of what happened would come back to memory, but unfortunately nothing yet and its very surreal having that gap in lost time.

I was looking at google maps where they found me and did street view from that point to where I last remembered being conscious and it was about 60 seconds from the last place I remember, so whatever happened, did so hard and fast, and I was out cold.

Can't go look at the bike until Saturday, so that's going to be a big moment of truth.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:27:56 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »
Goddamn man I’m happy you’re alright! Is it a busy road? That’s always my fear is getting rear ended (not saying you did)

Hopefully how it happened comes back to you.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #330 on: April 11, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
Thanks Reaper.

Its actually a really bad road. Very congested and obsolete in size compared the volume and density of traffic that now drives on it. On top of the that, the flow of traffic felt pretty aggressive, and I distinctly remember keeping a very sizable following distance to be on the safe side.

The X is the last memory I have and the yellow circle is where I was found.

They did find me stumbling around on the road in a daze, which I have a very foggy recollection of. That part is very blurry, but I do vaguely remember seeing almost 10 feet of skid marks from my tire. So I am thinking I either was hit and panicked and death gripped the brakes which locked them up, or I just on my own grabbed the brakes too hard and locked them up.

Had the bike almost a year and I usually use just two fingers with the brakes and am typically pretty subtle since they are so sensitive, but I totally admit that this may very well have been completely my screw up, which I'll own up to.

Saturday I will go get the police report. See what they think and try see what I can do with the bike. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »
I'm the same with you, I use two fingers for my brake (three or four for clutch). If I were to guess maybe you were hit? Do you typically brake front and rear or do you just brake with the front? Usually locking your front tire will cause you to flip or at the least knock you down immediately, wouldn't be much skid marks.

Damn man, I am happy you're alright. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #332 on: April 13, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »
Played detective a little today.

Went right to the police station to get the accident report and they would not give it to me because "business hours are monday to friday"  :yeahright

But at the very least, they let me know where the bike was taken to. And Ironically enough, the towtruck/impound place was pretty much with-in walking distance of where I crashed  :lol

So I head over there, and again because its not a weekday, the place was closed, locked up and the lights were off. "Just great" I thought. I walked all around, looking through windows, checking the lot and didn't see it, so its probably inside. So I still don't know what condition its in.

Besides that I got to re-drive the route of where I crashed, and there was not a single pothole in the road. No gravel, no tar snakes, no visible anything wrong with the road, so more and more I am thinking it was a hit and run. Especially since I have zero memory of anything going wrong before blacking out.

Can't go see the bike until tuesday or wednesday, so the damage on the bike will hopefully tell more of the story.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:47:57 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 13, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
Yea man that's what I'm guessing too. Obviously I wasn't there but the only way I feel like you would've gotten that far is if you locked the rear and only rear.

I'm guessing your bike is totaled?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #334 on: April 13, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
I hope its not totaled, but I didn't get a chance to see it since the place was closed. Have to wait till next week to find out.

I did have frame sliders on it, so we'll see if they were worth having.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
That's terrible. I hope you can figure out exactly WTF happened. It all sounds very mysterious. Who called the ambulance? Did anyone see what happened? There's an accident report so the police are involved but were they called right after the accident or did the ambulance drivers call them? And why won't the cops give you any information in an accident you were a victim of?!

Sorry....not trying to nag you with questions you've already asked yourself. Hope everything works out ok.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #336 on: April 15, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
Oh I agree. Its incredibly frustrating. Still waiting for the report, but at least today I got to pick up the bike. I got VERY lucky, as the damange is not that bad. Thank God for Frame sliders.

so here's the rundown:

1. Rear left tail light cracked
2. Rear Tail scrap
3. Left Foot peg
4. Left hole in plastic below fuel tank
5. Clutch lever bent
6. Left Mirror
7. The plastics around the left headlight are gone, but the lights work fine

Overall, not that bad. So I am gonna go get stuff repaired and get back on the road

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: April 15, 2019, 07:35:23 PM »
Man the bike came away looking pretty good, frame sliders can mean the difference between totaled or a day of swapping fairings out.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #338 on: April 15, 2019, 08:19:26 PM »
Hope it doesn't cost too much, Phoenix87x.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #339 on: April 16, 2019, 05:16:42 AM »
Thanks guys.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: April 16, 2019, 05:22:49 AM »
Hope it doesn't cost too much, Phoenix87x.

That's the one thing that sucks about sport bikes, fairings aren't cheap :lol

There are a few options though, you can get OEM replacements and there a bunch of cheaper aftermarket fairings. One thing about aftermarket is fitament is a huge bitch. My buddy wanted to redo the color of GSXR a few years back and ordered a set of pretty good aftermarket plastics. The following weekend we worked on putting it together. There are few times in my life as frustrating as that weekend, everything was off just enough to be a problem, googling forums just yielded results of people complaining about the same issues. OEM stuff just clicks together.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #341 on: April 16, 2019, 05:49:17 AM »
I think my gameplan is to send the bike to a bike repair shop/dealer. Have them do a full diagnostic of everything. It may look decent on the outside, but I want to make sure the internals are functioning properly, and no leaks.

And then let them put on aftermarket plastics and replace the other essentials.

**Update:  Its getting picked up next tuesday and then they will give me an estimate same day, and then repairs should begin.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:49:39 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2019, 04:52:12 PM »
I think my gameplan is to send the bike to a bike repair shop/dealer. Have them do a full diagnostic of everything. It may look decent on the outside, but I want to make sure the internals are functioning properly, and no leaks.

And then let them put on aftermarket plastics and replace the other essentials.

**Update:  Its getting picked up next tuesday and then they will give me an estimate same day, and then repairs should begin.

Definitely a smart move, mang. Hopefully the innards are all good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2019, 03:55:29 PM »
The bike is still at the repair place and I haven't actually heard anything from them yet  :yeahright   So I'll probably give them a call soon.

But in other news, I FINALLY got the official police, accident report. I present to the court Exhibit A

"Cause is unknown"   Well, I guess we'll never know  :lol    And rest of it pretty much said nothing.

It is what it is I guess. At least I came out of it ok and I'm already fully healed, so alls well that ends well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
Wow that's crazy, again I'm super glad you're ok!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2019, 10:19:02 AM »
Thanks

Well, i finally got the repair estimate. Keep in mind,
I bought the bike for like 7 grand.

They seriously want $4700... what the fuck

I was hoping for less then 2 grand. I have to talk with them and see if there's some alternatives. But that's where i am at.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »
Shit mang :tdwn

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #347 on: May 01, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
I know right?

And get this crap. I just talked to them and that estimate was JUST for external visual damage. The didn't even open it and take the plastics off to check the engine or frame. That's utter insanity and there's no way in hell I'm even gonna humor that. I'm towing it back home and gonna sit on this for a few days. 

And I am honestly starting to think that they goofed something up on it when the maintenance work was done, which may have cause a malfunction. I did over 2000 miles on that bike through 4 different states and it performed flawlessly until 5 mins after work was done on it. Who knows though.

My buddy has the spare Harley Super glide and he said and I'm welcome to ride it, so its not a total loss.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:07:27 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: May 02, 2019, 08:40:17 AM »
That is insane, like insane. do you have an itemized estimate?

Does the bike run now? How does it drive?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #349 on: May 02, 2019, 09:53:35 AM »
They are gonna provide the itemized estimate paperwork when they drop the bike off back to me which is next friday. I think they are full of it.

Bike starts up fine, but without a foot peg by the clutch lever I haven't been able to ride it around the block or anything. It seems to be okay first glance, but Is it fully safe and functional beneath the surface? I don't know, and I honestly don't know if I trust it anymore.

So I think I will do the minor repairs to get it street legal and functional and then trade it toward a new bike. I kind of want to just start fresh.