Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 72969 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2018, 05:29:25 AM »
That's awesome. Should be super visible now.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »
Yea. I wouldn’t of change it but the left side of my brake light went out so I had to.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »
Question about downshifting.

Do you ever do rev matching, and what is your technique. I've been practicing it and its not quite there.

Also, what exactly is a slipper clutch and what's the benefits it brings?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: August 30, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
I rev match all my downshifts, I used to never do it when I first started riding (and it's not that important on bikes that have more low end power) but it helps with smooth shifts and keeping the bike more stable. Lets say you down shift and don't rev match so you dump that engine speed on a lower gear which slows you down faster through engine braking and front loads your front tire more which can cause more instability.

A slipper clutch is basically a way alleviate engine braking and stop the possibility of rear wheel hop (although I don't know anyone personally who has downshifted at such a speed to cause the rear wheel to hop). Basically (and I could be wrong on this) if there is too much power the clutch will slip and not engage with the driveshaft thus preventing some of the load caused by aggressive down shifts.

I've never had a slip clutch but I rode a bike once that did have it and the benefits I saw were negligible. I'm sure if you ride really aggressively on the track you'd find more use for one.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #249 on: September 01, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »
Thanks so much. that was very helpful

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2018, 06:31:36 AM »
Gave my bike a good cleaning yesterday, I'm probably going to change the brake fluid today. It's pretty discolored.

This sounds stupid but cleaning it yesterday I started thinking about all the roadtrips I've taken with it and how it'll be impossible for me to ever get rid of it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
I could never get rid of mine either. Its brought such incredible joy to my life. And when shits going down and I'm feeling like shit mentally, I just take the bike out and it makes one hell of a difference.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2018, 12:54:43 PM »
So I went with my buddy today so he could get some gear. He's doing his safety course in two weeks. I showed him some beginner bikes as well. Ninja 300, SV650, Ninja 650 and man, I was impressed with the R3

Where was this thing when I was getting my license? I got to sit on it and it felt great and looks awesome. And its 320cc

So besides that, I checked out the 2018 R1 and boy did they mess with the seat height. Apparently from 2015 onward, they added an extra inch to the seat height making it 33.8 inches instead of 32.8 and I really could feel the difference. It felt awkward and I wasn't digging it, but I sat on a 2012 R1 and it felt great. So If I do go with an R1 later down the line, it was be 2014 or earlier.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
I need to ask all you motorcyclists a question.

It is my understanding that you all have the legal right to "split lanes" while in traffic (either standing still, or while in motion). That right was given years and years ago, because (and this is where I need clarification and confirmation) motorcycles would overheat, and need to keep moving. That all makes sense. But then a few people recently have said to me that that is a farce, because motorcycles of the last 20 years all don't overheat like that -- it's just getting a law to repeal the right was never a popular move.

Is all that generally correct?

No dog in the fight, just genuinely curious.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #254 on: September 11, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
One thing I wanted to mention about lane splitting first is that its only legal in California. Its illegal in all other states. I'm not sure why it was originally legalized, but I can tell you that overheating stuff is definitely rubbish. My bike has a fan that kicks on just like cars, so that bike doesn't overheat. They can get hot as hell, but are either liquid cooled or air cooled to compensate.

This is the first I am hearing about the overheating thing.

I think you would like riding Samsara, just saying. We would love for you to join us  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:03:10 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »
One thing I wanted to mention about lane splitting first is that its only legal in California. Its illegal in all other states. I'm not sure why it was originally legalized, but I can tell you that overheating stuff is definitely rubbish. My bike has a fan that kicks on just like cars, so that bike doesn't overheat. They can get hot as hell, but are either liquid cooled or air cooled to compensate.

I think you would like riding Samsara, just saying. We would love for you to join us  ;D

Ah ha, I didn't know it was illegal in other states. I've been living here too long. My brother has been a Harley rider for almost 20 years now, and my one of my best friends is the general manager a Harley dealership. So, I've been around it a lot. But as much as I like hanging around it all, its not for me. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »

Phoenix hit the nail on the head. Most bikes now are liquid cooled similar to how cars so they will keep from overheating. Not all new bikes are liquid cooled though, I believe some Harley’s are still air cooled.

In terms of lane splitting I believe studies have shown that responsible lane splitting will cut down on overall traffic but I’m biased as an avid motorcycle rider. I would lane split in Florida and I’ve driven past many police officers and I’ve never been pulled over, then again when I was doing it I was moving at a slow crawl.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
I fucking hate you guys. Seriously, if I could get away with it, I'd time it and open my door in your faces!

Of course, if you gave me the DTF signal, I'd let you pass and simply nail the next guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
Oh as for the overheating thing it definitely is an issue in hotter states. One of my buddies a while back would go riding with me back in Florida and if we got caught I traffic his bike would get so hot that he wouldn’t be able to put the bike into gear.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »
This rain is killing me. Like every day, its 35% chance of showers, isolated thunderstorms. All day today I watched it go from dark, ominous and rainy to partly cloudy and sunny and then back to grey and rainy again. Its like one big tease.

I'm dying to ride.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
Go ride in the rain! Nothing builds riding skill like riding in the rain, just be more careful and make sure you are deliberate with all your moves.

I had the same issue in florida, especially in the summer when it rained every evening. I either rode home from work in the downpour or didn't get to ride at all.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
What do you think about the H2?

Its essentially a supercharged liter bike, so you are getting even more power than a Busa or a Zx14R, but with the advantage of it being a smaller bike (Which I absolutely prefer)

I'm just thinking about if they get around to taking a 600cc and super charge it. That would be tight. Same small/sleek bike but next level power.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
I remember when the rumors started regarding the h2 and I didn’t think they’d release something so powerful but they did.

I personally love it even though I don’t think I’d ever buy one unless I had a large chunk of disposable income. That amount of power would kill me. It would be curious to see what a supercharged 600 would look like. I’d like to see Yamaha take a stab at making a 750 like the gsxr. My dad had one and it was perf3ct because it had that little bit of extra low end torque for the street

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #263 on: September 18, 2018, 05:18:31 AM »
What do you think about Digital vs. Analogue displays?

One thing I really don't like with newer bikes is the Digital Tach. It drives me nuts, where I just can't evaluate/see it very well in how its represented. It was very frustrating on the 2017 SV650. I am very visually oriented, so I like that big fat ass needle on the analogue tachometer. It just pops in a way that I can glance at quick, know where I'm at in the RPMs and then can look at the road.

I don't mind the digital speedometer though. It functions fine for me visually, probably better than analogue. But I will say I like the charm of having full analog and seeing the 2 needles rise and fall.

Overall I LOVE how my CBR is set up. Its like the best of both worlds.

And one other random gripe: I CAN NOT believe that all 2018 bikes don't have a damn fuel gauge. You know I love me that R6, but god damn Yamaha, throw a dedicated Fuel gauge on there. damn.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:47:50 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: September 18, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
I have an analog speedo myself and I love it but I also don't mind the digital ones. Some can get busy for my taste but when I really think about it I rarely look at tach when not on the track.

Yamaha has always been behind the times with technology. The make killer bikes though with amazing engines. I remember a few years back looking at a new R6 next to the newest honda and the honda was miles ahead in the tech department.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »
A little bit of suzuki news today. For 2019

SV650x 

Besides the brown? seat, I like it.

They are also bringing back the kitana

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »
I like the sv650 a lot, I love the rounder features. You don't see too much of that these days.

I wonder if the Kitana will stay as much as a house lol. Looks like a more agressive diavel

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »
2006 Low rider

20,000 miles and the guy is asking $4950.  I'm seriously thinking about making this bike number 2

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2018, 07:01:02 PM »
That is a gorgeous bike! That would be great for cruising around the city. I'm actually starting to look at another bike myself after we get this wedding paid off.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #269 on: November 20, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
Got to take the bike out yesterday. It was like 47 degrees and sunny, and I am very happy to say that my gear did its job. Got up to like 93mph on the highway and still, it felt comfortable. Based off of yesterdays findings, I'm just gonna ride right on through winter. It felt so damn good to get out.

Besides that I was toying around with the idea of getting into motovlogging and maybe even start a youtube channel, pretty much just as a hobby and see where it goes, but haven't made up my mind yet. Watching people like Motonosity, do it with dan, chase on two wheels and Cycle cruza are what got me into riding in the first place, so I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

You ever consider doing any motovlogging?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2018, 04:41:54 AM »
Try it out, I always loved watching motovloggers. I'd give you channel a watch. Do you have a camera already?

I'm good with winter riding as long as it's 40+ outside and sunny, anything below that and it's too much .

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2018, 05:06:19 AM »
No camera yet. I would probably go with the Go Pro. Seems to be a very popular choice.

And man oh man, does the Sun make such a difference. Not just the huge benefit of making it a warmer ride, but psychologically speaking its way more fulfilling, especially light spilling through the trees and the shadows and contrast it makes. I love it. When its cloudy and drab, its just kind of meh.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:42:10 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2018, 08:32:53 AM »
Completely agree. I love those fall rides with the trees changing colors.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
Herrick started riding in early September and bought a 2018 Honda Shadow Phantom a few days after passing the MSF Beginner Course and getting my endorsement.

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
How do you like the bike?!?!?! It's gorgeous

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »
Welcome to the club Herrick. That's an awesome bike.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2018, 08:57:13 PM »
How do you like the bike?!?!?! It's gorgeous

It took me a good 7 weeks or so to start liking the bike, only because I was terrified every time I got on it. When I sat on it at the dealership it felt like a tank! very intimidating. I had no experience riding before taking the MSF course so this was a huge challenge for me. But yeah I'm enjoying it a lot and for the first time in my life, I'm actually disappointed when it rains or when it's really cold out.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the bike this winter. I don't want to hibernate it. I hope to ride it at least a few times a month. I'm going to buy a battery tender and some fuel stabilizer. I might buy one of those tent-type things to put the bike in, because I don't have a garage and my shed is full.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: November 27, 2018, 04:54:06 AM »
I know the feeling of being scared. I remember when I first got my first bike I kept thinking that it was overwhelming.

The tent, tender and stabilizer all sound like a great idea.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »
Totally agree with Reaper

And there's really no reason to fully hibernate the bike imo. I plan on riding year round for the remainder of my life and its really only a matter of getting the right gear, and the fun will never stop.

And those tents should be pretty good for storage. Not totally perfect, but they work pretty well.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2018, 12:40:01 PM »
Totally agree with Reaper

And there's really no reason to fully hibernate the bike imo. I plan on riding year round for the remainder of my life and its really only a matter of getting the right gear, and the fun will never stop.

And those tents should be pretty good for storage. Not totally perfect, but they work pretty well.

I was looking into heated gear but I don't know...I definitely need warmer gloves. I have "winter" gloves but my hands were very cold the last time I rode to work and it was only 37 degrees. I didn't even go on the highway. I was mostly driving between 30 mph & 55 mph for the 9-mile ride to work.