Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 74170 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #1155 on: July 03, 2023, 01:31:10 PM »
Fusion of Herrick and Harley successful.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1156 on: July 03, 2023, 03:09:17 PM »
Awesome

Would love to see pics

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1157 on: July 03, 2023, 04:17:01 PM »
Awesome

Would love to see pics

It's just like the one I used to have. I'm lazy and terrible at taking pictures.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1158 on: July 04, 2023, 11:27:45 AM »
Riding the Low Rider home from the dealership was a very strange experience. It was a 20-ish mile ride but I got a little lost so it ended up being longer than 20 miles. Riding this bike was both completely alien and familiar. I almost stalled it a couple times  :lol The footpeg position and location of the shift lever kept throwing me off.

The ride to work today went much more smoothly.

Before I went to the dealership, I asked the salesmang if the bike was stock. I was told it just had a slip-on exhaust which I wasn't too happy about. I know the stock exhaust doesn't sound good but I don't want a loudass bike. So when I got to the dealership and looked at the bike, I was told it had a Stage 1 upgrade. Again, I'm not really thrilled about that. I wanted a completely stock bike and I want to get decent MPG.

So when I started riding home I immediately came to the conclusion that the exhaust is loud as fuck and I will be needing ear plugs for my trip. I probably should have gotten some anyway but now I definitely will.

Edit: Here's a picture I posted of my 2019 Low Rider https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=11723.525
I'll try to upload pictures of the 2018 Low Rider.

One funny thing that's not too funny. The 2018 Low Rider has the same noisy brakes & fogged up speedometer problem that my 2019 had. I wonder how long it'll be before the gas cap starts rattling too. Oh and I can't see shit on the LCD screen when it's real sunny because of the sunlight reflecting off all that chrome.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 11:51:42 AM by Herrick »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1159 on: August 07, 2023, 06:16:19 PM »
Three weeks with no motorcycle in July. Yeah that sucked. But now it's back :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1160 on: August 30, 2023, 05:52:40 PM »
Part 1 of my trip has been completed. I rode over 1400 miles from Long Island, NY to Tulsa, OK. I stopped in Allentown, PA for a couple days to visit a friend. He put a Memphis Shades Gauntlet fairing with a Laminar Lip on my bike and that made the trip much bearable but it was still kind of tough.

My Garmin GPS crapped out very early on the trip so I used my phone with earplugs for navigation. Not ideal but very doable after getting out of NY & NJ. My wrists were aching on these weirdly shaped bars. I ordered a Crampbuster for the return trip...and a phone mount. My phone isn't very visible in direct sunlight but I'm hoping it'll be good enough.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: August 30, 2023, 06:23:33 PM »
How many days did it take you?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1162 on: August 30, 2023, 06:52:43 PM »
How many days did it take you?

Three days from PA to Tulsa, OK.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: August 30, 2023, 07:19:21 PM »
How does your body feel after that long of a ride?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1164 on: August 30, 2023, 08:25:06 PM »
How does your body feel after that long of a ride?

Not great but not nearly as bad as I expected. I think my body might have toughened up a bit because my throttle hand wasn't hurting as much on the third day as it did on the first. I'm halfway between "I'm never doing this again" and "Fuck yeah I'd do this again"  ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1165 on: August 30, 2023, 10:05:45 PM »
That's so impressive. When I started riding I dreamed of doing big tours like that, but as I started pushing the distance I started to realize what I was capable of.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1166 on: August 30, 2023, 10:11:41 PM »
That's so impressive. When I started riding I dreamed of doing big tours like that, but as I started pushing the distance I started to realize what I was capable of.

I should've starting pushing the distance instead of just jumping into it. My regular work/home life didn't really allow me to build up to the big trip.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: August 31, 2023, 12:10:27 PM »

I loved doing long trips (nothing like Herrick is doing) on my r6 but it was definitely tough on the body. I remember riding my buddies v Strom for about 50 miles and it felt like driving a Cadillac. If I ever got into riding longer distances id need a different bike.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1168 on: August 31, 2023, 12:16:10 PM »

I loved doing long trips (nothing like Herrick is doing) on my r6 but it was definitely tough on the body. I remember riding my buddies v Strom for about 50 miles and it felt like driving a Cadillac. If I ever got into riding longer distances id need a different bike.

Was it the 650 or the 1000? I like my Harley but I'm wondering how much more comfortable my V-Strom 650 would've been. For sure the bars and probably the seat would've been much more comfortable. But I really didn't want to deal with adjusting the chain on this long trip.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1169 on: September 01, 2023, 09:12:21 AM »
650. My confidence was knocked down a bit when I first got on, it really was off putting how high I sat compared to my R6. After a few miles it just felt so comfortable.

Funny enough I just went through a similar thing in cars, I just got rid of my two seater car and man o man my new (to me) car is just so fucking comfortable :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1170 on: September 01, 2023, 05:26:10 PM »
650. My confidence was knocked down a bit when I first got on, it really was off putting how high I sat compared to my R6. After a few miles it just felt so comfortable.

Funny enough I just went through a similar thing in cars, I just got rid of my two seater car and man o man my new (to me) car is just so fucking comfortable :lol

I loved sitting so high up on the V-Strom! I'm already tempted by the upcoming street-oriented version of the 800.

Which car did you have and which car did you get? My beloved 2015 Subaru Forester was totaled last year and I went back to a regular car, a 2022 Honda Civic. It was weird being all low to the ground again.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1171 on: September 01, 2023, 05:30:36 PM »
I attempted to ride my friend's 650 V-strom, but I'm 5' 9'' and I couldn't flat foot it and it just didn't work sadly, but that being said I did own a SV650 so I know in and out what the engine can do. Its pretty satisfying if you are not an autistic adrenaline junky  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1172 on: September 01, 2023, 06:14:25 PM »
I attempted to ride my friend's 650 V-strom, but I'm 5' 9'' and I couldn't flat foot it and it just didn't work sadly, but that being said I did own a SV650 so I know in and out what the engine can do. Its pretty satisfying if you are not an autistic adrenaline junky  :lol

I'm 5'8" with a 32-inch inseam. I could flatfoot it but I was on the balls of my feet when backing it up. It wasn't that bad.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1173 on: September 01, 2023, 06:24:02 PM »
interesting.

Yeah, It just wasn't for me. But enjoy.

On a side note, consistantly pushing the Low rider to its limits. It has reaffirmed again in my mind that I can never have a super fast bike again. If I didn't almost die on that supersport, then it was only a mater of time.

That being said, I am able to get my fun out of the Harley without it going into tempting death territory

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1174 on: September 01, 2023, 10:29:11 PM »
interesting.

Yeah, It just wasn't for me. But enjoy.

On a side note, consistantly pushing the Low rider to its limits. It has reaffirmed again in my mind that I can never have a super fast bike again. If I didn't almost die on that supersport, then it was only a mater of time.

That being said, I am able to get my fun out of the Harley without it going into tempting death territory

I've heard that a lot about how the limited performance of Harleys keeps people in check  ;D Are you still looking into a Triumph Street Triple? I think that was the bike you posted about a while back. It's not a supersport but it seems much more controllable even though it's got The Power.

The Low Rider has enough power for Herrick. I had no problems passing trucks on I-70 and/or I-78 or whatever the fuck those highways are going through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, & Missouri. I didn't even need to downshift. It has a Stage 1 but I don't think it has much or any power over a stock 107. "Let's see if you bastards can do 90".

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: September 02, 2023, 08:25:15 AM »

Which car did you have and which car did you get? My beloved 2015 Subaru Forester was totaled last year and I went back to a regular car, a 2022 Honda Civic. It was weird being all low to the ground again.

Most recently I had a 2019 Porsche Cayman GTS which I kept for a little over a year. I actually really loved the car but was always broken, 5 service trips and $20k in warranty repairs later it became hard to justify keeping a car, especially that expensive, when you can't rely on it. I traded for a 2022 Lexus IS350. I love it, yes it's not as quick as the Cayman but it's more comfortable, better options, quieter, amazing sound system, and more reliable at half the price.

I had an allocation to order a new M4 but with the interest rates as high as they are I just couldn't justify it. If rates go down or if BMW goes back to subsidized their leases I'll probably order that. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy not having to trust fall into the seats of my car :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1176 on: September 02, 2023, 09:04:24 AM »

Most recently I had a 2019 Porsche Cayman GTS which I kept for a little over a year. I actually really loved the car but was always broken, 5 service trips and $20k in warranty repairs later it became hard to justify keeping a car, especially that expensive, when you can't rely on it. I traded for a 2022 Lexus IS350. I love it, yes it's not as quick as the Cayman but it's more comfortable, better options, quieter, amazing sound system, and more reliable at half the price.

I had an allocation to order a new M4 but with the interest rates as high as they are I just couldn't justify it. If rates go down or if BMW goes back to subsidized their leases I'll probably order that. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy not having to trust fall into the seats of my car :lol

Nice. It's still quicker than most other vehicles on the road.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1177 on: September 03, 2023, 03:04:57 PM »

I've heard that a lot about how the limited performance of Harleys keeps people in check  ;D Are you still looking into a Triumph Street Triple? I think that was the bike you posted about a while back. It's not a supersport but it seems much more controllable even though it's got The Power.

The Low Rider has enough power for Herrick. I had no problems passing trucks on I-70 and/or I-78 or whatever the fuck those highways are going through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, & Missouri. I didn't even need to downshift. It has a Stage 1 but I don't think it has much or any power over a stock 107. "Let's see if you bastards can do 90".

Well, I would truly love to have that triumph, but I can tell you for a fact just from the test ride alone that bike will get me into trouble. Incredibly fun though.

I love the marty mcfly moment  :lol

Mine is stage II and its pushes it right to the point when more would be dangerous, so I'm happy. Alive is good I guess

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1178 on: September 03, 2023, 07:21:33 PM »

Well, I would truly love to have that triumph, but I can tell you for a fact just from the test ride alone that bike will get me into trouble. Incredibly fun though.

I love the marty mcfly moment  :lol

Mine is stage II and its pushes it right to the point when more would be dangerous, so I'm happy. Alive is good I guess

How is your MPG?

I was really surprised by the MPG I was getting on the trip. I didn't calculate every fillup but two times I got in the mid-50s and the last time I got 49mpg. I was doing between 70 & 85 mph mostly. The thing is rated at 47mpg which I never get on my normal rides to work which is like 10 miles of half highway & half city riding.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1179 on: September 04, 2023, 07:33:08 AM »
If I wasn't flooring it and riding like an aggressive lunatic it is usually around 49 mpg. Before stage 1 and 2 probably a little higher, but I wouldn't give up the upgrades.

When I fill the tank to the top it says like 200miles range. I think I get pretty close to that on a single tank depending on my riding style mood for that day

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: September 04, 2023, 07:40:30 AM »
That's some good milage. When I was doing some longer riding I was getting around 47 mpg. I had to stop every 130 miles or so though.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1181 on: September 04, 2023, 08:04:58 AM »
A 200-mile range is good but I don't think I could ride for 200-miles without a break.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1182 on: September 04, 2023, 09:31:20 AM »
For sure, 200 miles strait is a lot.

The most I ever did without stopping was 140 miles and that was definite a crucible for sure. But the harley allowed me to get into a couple different riding positions so that helped big time as I would alternate

I've never done more than 100 strait since and don't really want to honestly. Breaks make such a huge difference

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1183 on: September 04, 2023, 11:03:29 AM »
For sure, 200 miles strait is a lot.

The most I ever did without stopping was 140 miles and that was definite a crucible for sure. But the harley allowed me to get into a couple different riding positions so that helped big time as I would alternate

I've never done more than 100 strait since and don't really want to honestly. Breaks make such a huge difference

I have crashbars with feet rests, a Memphis Shades Gauntlet Fairing, and an Airhawk cushion thing. The most I did before taking a break was 120 miles and I was in a lot of pain in the tailbone area. Everyone says to barely inflate the Airhawk and I rode like that for over 1000 miles. Then I inflated it more than the recommended amount and it helped a lot.

I also ordered a Campbuster while in Tulsa so I'm hoping that will help out. My throttle hand was in a lot of pain. The stock bars put my wrists in a weird position. Even my clutch hand hurt a lot and I wasn't really doing much with it  ???

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1184 on: September 10, 2023, 07:29:12 AM »
Herrick returned to The Village a few days ago. I had pretty bad buttbone pain almost the whole time and my clutch hand felt like it was burning off while going through New York SHITTY traffic. Going through the SHITTY was an absolutely miserable experience and really killed my desire to do any more long trips on a motorcycle.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: September 10, 2023, 09:52:04 AM »
I can only imagine the pain. I'm glad you made it back!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1186 on: October 10, 2023, 02:40:37 PM »
The road-oriented version of the V-Strom 800 is coming out next year. Herrick is tempted.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: October 10, 2023, 02:42:47 PM »
Just checked out the promotional video, it's a pretty nice bike.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1188 on: October 12, 2023, 05:19:19 AM »
That will be a cool bike

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1189 on: March 11, 2024, 08:14:26 PM »
Fusion of Herrick and V-Strom 800 successful.