Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 74060 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #1085 on: April 05, 2022, 05:39:42 PM »
Its kind of sad to say, but I've kind of lost interest in riding. I still do, and its fun when I do. But I just don't feel the urge as much anymore  :-\

This is me, it's usually the act of getting on my bike that makes me stop the process all together. Once I'm on and riding I always think "Why don't I do this more often" but gearing up and pulling my bike out can be a pain as stupid as it sounds.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1086 on: April 05, 2022, 05:47:22 PM »
Its kind of sad to say, but I've kind of lost interest in riding. I still do, and its fun when I do. But I just don't feel the urge as much anymore  :-\

This is me, it's usually the act of getting on my bike that makes me stop the process all together. Once I'm on and riding I always think "Why don't I do this more often" but gearing up and pulling my bike out can be a pain as stupid as it sounds.

That's funny 'cause I kind of feel the same way and I've only been riding a few years. It's so fucking dangerous out here. I've already had one bike totaled & my car got totaled earlier this year. I was even thinking of taking the bike that night my car got totaled.

Sometimes when I'm riding I think, "Maybe you shouldn't be doing this, Herrick". I some times think of selling the bike. But like ReaperKK said, once I get on the bike I'm like "This is FUCKING awesome".
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1087 on: April 05, 2022, 06:30:56 PM »
For me, its really having the bike at my friends house that is really killing things. It was fine for the first few years, but imagine everytime you want to ride, you have to drive 20mins, awkwardly try and find somewhere to park, deal with their new dog that has already tried to bite me once, move 4 damn E-bikes out of the way in his garage, then put them back and lock the garage, just to ride.

I've been ready to buy a house for months now, but frankly the prices are bullshit. If I could literally walk out my front door and get on the bike, then I would be way more inclined to ride.

In addition, I've expanded into new interests as well. So its still fun to ride, but just not the obsession it used to be.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1088 on: April 05, 2022, 06:35:15 PM »
That does sound like a pain in the balls.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1089 on: April 05, 2022, 06:54:46 PM »
Dude, once the dog tried to bite me, it was like that's it  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1090 on: April 24, 2022, 03:08:04 PM »
Had great day riding today. It was like 73 and sunny, rode down to a restaurant next to the river and got a decent crab cake sandwich.

The day did start out a little shitty, when I went to the garage and the front tire was flat. My friend has been keeping an eye on it and he said he would fill it up, but like 1 week later, it would be flat again.

So we filled it up, jacked it up and looked if we could find the issue but didn't see anything. So i was like "fuck it, lets ride" and it worked out ok luckily  :lol

I'll take the bike to the harley place on tuesday and let them figure it out.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: April 24, 2022, 06:01:41 PM »
Might just need a patch I'd you're comfortable with that. I've patched rears before but I also have awful luck with tires. My car has 13k miles and I've had 4 tires replaced already .

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1092 on: April 24, 2022, 06:27:43 PM »
I would be down with that.

I've plugged quite a few car tires in the past, so I was hoping to find the nail, or screw or wood splinter (which are the usually culprits) but It was so weird to see nothing.

We'll see what the Harley place says though and then make the next move. The whole time I was riding today I kept looking down to be like "is it still inflated", "oh good"  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1093 on: April 24, 2022, 09:22:50 PM »
I've heard it's not good to patch a motorcycle tire. My Low Rider (RIP) got a nail in the rear tire and they replaced the tire. I'm not sure how much it cost because I bought their tire protection insurance thing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: April 25, 2022, 06:47:10 AM »
Bike tires aren't that expensive but it's a pain the tire off and bring it in. I would never track my bike on a patch but I felt ok about it.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1095 on: April 25, 2022, 07:07:40 AM »
I have spokes so if pick up a nail (or whatever) I'm pretty committed to buying a new tire because the inner tube will melt in the tire if I am on the road (or so I've been told).

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1096 on: June 30, 2022, 05:54:24 PM »
Over two months without a post in this thread. Damn.

Well, Herrick has been riding pretty much every day it doesn't rain...Butt I've been thinking of selling the bike and going back becoming to full-time cager. I have a nice new 2022 Honda Civic EX because my beloved and paid off 2015 Subaru Forester got totaled. I feel like I'm wasting money by not driving my new car (which I do enjoy driving) and it sucks to be paying for two vehicles. Also, there are many crazy drivers out there and as we know we are extremely vulnerable on our bikes.

Of course these heretical thoughts leave my tiny mind whenever I ride :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1097 on: July 01, 2022, 10:25:11 AM »
I have had those thoughts before as well. Even though I am barely riding at the moment, I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

Finally housing prices are starting to come down, so I hope to buy something hopefully before winter and then everything will change, since I can just walk out my front door and get on the bike.

And random other point, for better or worse the Harley is just too slow. When I get a house, I might get a Triumph Street Triple

Fast like my sport bike was, but actually comfortable to ride.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1098 on: July 01, 2022, 12:08:57 PM »
That's cool. I've never had a fast motorcycle before so I was pretty content with the power of my 2019 Low Rider and now the 2020 Suzuki V-Strom 650.

None of the other HDs really appeal to me but I'd like to get another Low Rider. However they're just too much fucking money, even the used 2019 Low Rider I've been looking at. The V-Strom is just so much more practical for Herrick. Whenever I get tempted into looking for another Low Rider I think about how much I disliked cleaning the one I had. I haven't cleaned my V-Strom since I got it last September :biggrin:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1099 on: July 01, 2022, 12:48:29 PM »
Yeah, Harley is absurd with their pricing. I really only tolerate it due to sentimental value and I was insanely lucky to get my low rider for $10,000.

The engine in your V-strom is the same that was in my SV650, which was also too slow for me. I think I have a problem  :lol

The CBR 600RR was pretty much as much speed as a guy could ask for. Never even maxed it out. It was really just the riding position that was the nail in the coffin. 10 mins on it and I was ready to get off.

But I definitely have my eye on the Triumph since the riding position is similar to your V-strom. Up right and comfortable. I'm gonna need to do a test ride at some point.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1100 on: July 01, 2022, 02:25:48 PM »
Yeah, Harley is absurd with their pricing. I really only tolerate it due to sentimental value and I was insanely lucky to get my low rider for $10,000.

The engine in your V-strom is the same that was in my SV650, which was also too slow for me. I think I have a problem  :lol

The CBR 600RR was pretty much as much speed as a guy could ask for. Never even maxed it out. It was really just the riding position that was the nail in the coffin. 10 mins on it and I was ready to get off.

But I definitely have my eye on the Triumph since the riding position is similar to your V-strom. Up right and comfortable. I'm gonna need to do a test ride at some point.

Do Triumph dealerships usually allow test rides?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1101 on: July 01, 2022, 04:32:49 PM »
They do.

I'm also looking for a demo day. Worst case scenario, there's a powersports place like 40mins away that I could stop by that have some. We'll see.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1102 on: July 01, 2022, 05:55:53 PM »
They do.

I'm also looking for a demo day. Worst case scenario, there's a powersports place like 40mins away that I could stop by that have some. We'll see.

Sexcellent. I wish more places would offer test rides but I understand why they do not. The place I bought my Suzuki from didn't offer test rides and I really wouldn't have wanted to ride a bike in Jamaica Queens anyway. Shit, I don't even want to drive an automobile there.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1103 on: July 30, 2022, 06:05:15 PM »
Did 100 miles today.

I was out in amish country, so long huge stretches of open road in the country side. I rode the ever loving shit out of that Harley today and it was so damn good. Out there you can see clearly for miles so you can really open it up and feel safe at the same time.

One thing that was wild was I felt a bug get stuck in my helmet as I was riding, I could feel it flying around in the side of the helmet so I pulled over real quick and took off the helmet. It was WASP. I nearly pissed myself but that god I didn't get stung  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1104 on: July 30, 2022, 07:23:49 PM »
That sounds really nice, mang. How is the house search going?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1105 on: July 30, 2022, 08:25:10 PM »
oh, its never ending  :lol

The prices seemed to be going down, but still are way way too high. My price range is about $350,000 and that buys you a condemned shack where I'm at.

But the interest rates are going up, so I am just keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes open. So we will see.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1106 on: July 30, 2022, 09:24:28 PM »
oh, its never ending  :lol

The prices seemed to be going down, but still are way way too high. My price range is about $350,000 and that buys you a condemned shack where I'm at.

But the interest rates are going up, so I am just keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes open. So we will see.

Sorry to hear that. I thought the interest rates were going down but I know very leetle about this stuff.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1107 on: July 31, 2022, 03:19:26 AM »
Thanks

It seems to be going in right direction, but we'll see. But when that house does come, I'll be eying up a second bike.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1108 on: August 24, 2022, 09:15:50 AM »
Was out today test riding the Terminator 2 Harley Fat Boy for the first time ever.

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god do I love this bike  :heart  This is the bike that made me want to ride motorcycles in the first place and I think I am gonna start looking for a black one.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1109 on: August 24, 2022, 10:33:43 AM »
What year is that one?

Those are cool bikes. The newer ones have weird styling and I've heard not great things about their handling due to the bigger tire HD added.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1110 on: August 24, 2022, 01:33:35 PM »
This one was a 2012 and I think they had this styling from like 2011 to 2017. (which is my favorite)

And then 2018 happened and they decided to re-invent the wheel (literally). I appreciate the Milwaukee 8 Fatboy, but its not a bike I personally would ever own. First of all, it looks kinda whacky imo and the handling aspect is a problem as well.

I did ride the M8 one at a demo day and it just wasn't for me. But this one today was so sweet. If it was black I would have started talking about a trade.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1111 on: August 24, 2022, 02:18:07 PM »
Does it come with a level pump shotgun? And a bar owner's sunglasses?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1112 on: August 24, 2022, 02:28:13 PM »
Does it come with a level pump shotgun? And a bar owner's sunglasses?

I didn't see those, but when I left for the test ride, I told the guy "I'll be back"  ;D

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: August 25, 2022, 07:13:56 AM »
Damn that looks like a nice bike. I've always ridden sport bikes for the most part, how manageable is the weight on that thing?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1114 on: August 25, 2022, 08:10:55 AM »
Thanks Reaper

The weight was surprisingly not that bad. Parking lot was definitely more cumbersome to maneuver, but once you get going on the road I thought it was fine.

I got on it pretty good and it was so damn fun. I don't think I felt that way since the first time I ever got on a motorcycle.

So now I will start looking for a black one like this:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: August 25, 2022, 09:33:46 AM »
That's really nice Phoenix. How is the reliability on those things?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1116 on: August 25, 2022, 01:56:34 PM »
Not very  :lol

Definitely nowhere near as reliable as the Japanese bikes, but so far mine's been ok and they have the same engine so here's hoping. Lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1117 on: August 29, 2022, 03:27:44 PM »
Was out on another adventure today. Did 80 miles and I think I now can safely say my bike is the right bike for me. It just fits me so perfectly, even though I do love that fat boy. I think I might switch out of the backrest/luggage rack for a harley one though. (and good ol harley, it will be over $350 dollars)  :tdwn vs. the $50 bucks for the generic one on there. but we'll see

Half the day was spent trying to find a restaurant that is open on a monday. My dad and I went to our normal spot by the river, but that was closed so we went on a mission to find a spot. But we finally found this place that had like the best damn roast beef sandwich I every had.

Such a great day overall

« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 04:22:30 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: August 29, 2022, 08:47:21 PM »
Looks like a gorgeous day to do some riding and that sandwich looks awesome too.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1119 on: August 30, 2022, 03:10:14 AM »
thanks Reaper