Author Topic: Motorcycle Thread  (Read 73418 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #1015 on: September 28, 2021, 04:47:08 PM »
Wow that really sucks Herrick. Most important thing is you are ok.

As far as the v-strom I think those are great bikes. The seating position took a little bit to get used to. You sit really high on those touring bikes.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1016 on: September 28, 2021, 05:07:55 PM »

As far as the v-strom I think those are great bikes. The seating position took a little bit to get used to. You sit really high on those touring bikes.

Yeah the seat height has really kept me away from seriously checking one out. I'm only 5'8" with a 32-inch inseam.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1017 on: September 28, 2021, 05:39:36 PM »

This ^^^

Hopefully you will dig the V-strom. I'm 5' 9 and couldn't flat foot it so it was a little awkward, but the V-strom a great bike though.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1018 on: September 29, 2021, 12:11:08 PM »
Herrick ,

I'm really glad you're OK!

I've been rear-ended before and while it sucked, at least it was at low speed and I was able to live another day. I was sitting at a stop light waiting for my turn to turn left when all of the sudden the bike lurched forward. I actually had enough time to question in my mind 'what's wrong with my bike'? Luckily, I landed on the passenger seat which then put me gently on the ground. I then stood up (I was in full leathers) looked at the bike and then looked behind me - and there he was. His mouth was agape and I think he was afraid to come out but he did and we exchanged insurance. The bike had minor damage but the gave me 1500.00 dollars and I came out with 700.00 in cash after repairs.

BTW - it helps tp learn how to pick up your bike!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: September 29, 2021, 12:30:26 PM »

Yeah the seat height has really kept me away from seriously checking one out. I'm only 5'8" with a 32-inch inseam.

Man I'm 6' tall and I have a 32 inseam, I have small legs :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: September 29, 2021, 03:38:17 PM »
i'm 5'7" and i'm a 32" waist.

Make of that what you will.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1021 on: October 01, 2021, 09:06:50 PM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1022 on: October 02, 2021, 05:19:28 AM »
Awesome.

and that is one of the most reliable engines out there. My SV650 never gave me a single problem.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: October 02, 2021, 06:38:17 AM »
Oh that is a beautiful bike. Is that a corbain seat?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1024 on: October 02, 2021, 06:50:16 AM »
Oh that is a beautiful bike. Is that a corbain seat?

It's something called a Sit & Fly cover. It's supposed to alleviate Swamp Ball Syndrome. I took it off yesterday to see how the stock seat feels and to see if I could flatfoot the bike better. I'll leave that cover off for now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: October 02, 2021, 05:57:54 PM »
It was properly torrential rain today for my 30km ride to work so got on all my waterproofs and two jackets and balaclava and went 40mph the whole way.

One long stretch of road which was completely underwater. :o

Luckily by the time I came home it had stopped raining for a while and the roads had dried out.

Also luckily my job finishes on Nov 1st and I don't have to re-apply for next year as I want something closer to home

as i'm fed up of going all that way every day - getting home drenched when it rains and having to hang everything up to dry AGAIN.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1026 on: October 02, 2021, 08:24:05 PM »
It was properly torrential rain today for my 30km ride to work so got on all my waterproofs and two jackets and balaclava and went 40mph the whole way.

One long stretch of road which was completely underwater. :o

Luckily by the time I came home it had stopped raining for a while and the roads had dried out.

Also luckily my job finishes on Nov 1st and I don't have to re-apply for next year as I want something closer to home

as i'm fed up of going all that way every day - getting home drenched when it rains and having to hang everything up to dry AGAIN.

How did your rain gear hold up?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: October 03, 2021, 05:33:53 AM »
Not bad. Felt a few drips in my boots and my hands were slightly blue from my hoodie ( under my biker jacket ).

But dry enough.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: October 03, 2021, 07:40:46 AM »
Dry is good. I feel you on the long commute. When I lived in Florida I'd commute to work on my bike and Florida being Florida I got rained on, a lot.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1029 on: October 03, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »
Not bad. Felt a few drips in my boots and my hands were slightly blue from my hoodie ( under my biker jacket ).

But dry enough.

That is good. And congratulations on the soon-to-be-ended long commute!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: October 03, 2021, 12:27:54 PM »
Yeah getting all kitted out - riding all that way - getting changed. Finishing work - getting changed again - riding home - getting changed AGAIN and hanging everything up to dry AGAIN...

Is such a chore. :(

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1031 on: October 04, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »
Totally agree with Reaper

And there's really no reason to fully hibernate the bike imo. I plan on riding year round for the remainder of my life and its really only a matter of getting the right gear, and the fun will never stop.

And those tents should be pretty good for storage. Not totally perfect, but they work pretty well.

I was looking into heated gear but I don't know...I definitely need warmer gloves. I have "winter" gloves but my hands were very cold the last time I rode to work and it was only 37 degrees. I didn't even go on the highway. I was mostly driving between 30 mph & 55 mph for the 9-mile ride to work.

Do some research on handlebar chaps or handlebar gauntlets. In all my years, I have never found any winter gloves worth a darn. Heated gear is just fine but if you don't want to spend the money handlebar chaps are worth every penny.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1032 on: October 04, 2021, 07:49:30 AM »
Herrick ,

I'm really glad you're OK!

I've been rear-ended before and while it sucked, at least it was at low speed and I was able to live another day. I was sitting at a stop light waiting for my turn to turn left when all of the sudden the bike lurched forward. I actually had enough time to question in my mind 'what's wrong with my bike'? Luckily, I landed on the passenger seat which then put me gently on the ground. I then stood up (I was in full leathers) looked at the bike and then looked behind me - and there he was. His mouth was agape and I think he was afraid to come out but he did and we exchanged insurance. The bike had minor damage but the gave me 1500.00 dollars and I came out with 700.00 in cash after repairs.

BTW - it helps tp learn how to pick up your bike!

I'm hoping I'll make some money out of this.

Totally agree with Reaper

And there's really no reason to fully hibernate the bike imo. I plan on riding year round for the remainder of my life and its really only a matter of getting the right gear, and the fun will never stop.

And those tents should be pretty good for storage. Not totally perfect, but they work pretty well.

I was looking into heated gear but I don't know...I definitely need warmer gloves. I have "winter" gloves but my hands were very cold the last time I rode to work and it was only 37 degrees. I didn't even go on the highway. I was mostly driving between 30 mph & 55 mph for the 9-mile ride to work.

Do some research on handlebar chaps or handlebar gauntlets. In all my years, I have never found any winter gloves worth a darn. Heated gear is just fine but if you don't want to spend the money handlebar chaps are worth every penny.

Thanks mang but that was a couple years ago :) I bought Gerbing heated gloves back in 2019 and earlier this year, I bought a heated jacket liner. Sooooooo nice.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1033 on: October 07, 2021, 11:12:24 AM »
Have you mangs ever connected heated gear to a Battery Tender pigtail? I have a Battery Tender Jr. that came with a separate connector for the battery. My Harley already had a connection so I never needed this separate connector until now.

So I connected the connector (pigtail) to the Suzuki battery and I'm wondering if I can plug my heated gear safely into it. The connector has a fuse port that can be opened so I think it might be good to go if I put in the proper fuse for my heated gear.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: October 12, 2021, 07:20:20 AM »
My Dad had a 900cc Yamaha and one day it fell over and he couldn't pick it up. So he decided to sell it and get a 600cc Yamaha Diversion which is a lot smaller.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1035 on: October 12, 2021, 08:40:56 AM »
My Dad had a 900cc Yamaha and one day it fell over and he couldn't pick it up. So he decided to sell it and get a 600cc Yamaha Diversion which is a lot smaller.

How does he like it compared to the other Yamaha?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: October 25, 2021, 05:08:08 AM »
No idea ;D but it is a lot smaller. I'd never dare ride a big bike - I rode the 600cc around the yard and I just didn't feel safe at all.

It's MOT time again for mine and I hate thinking my bike is roadworthy enough to pass the test - then we take it to the mechanic who lives on

my Dad's drive and he starts looking at it going "hmmm...mmm...nah..." and you're like

::) that's me getting the bus to work for the foreseeable then.

Fair enough the rear tyre was getting pretty thin. The front one is not far off and my number plate light is off but still. It means I cant ride it until

everything is sorted and tyres are not exactly cheap. Double annoying - since I only need the bike for another week.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1037 on: October 25, 2021, 06:46:54 AM »
That sucks hard. Damn tire shortage.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: October 25, 2021, 08:35:32 AM »
I kept getting punctures in the same tyre - so I decided to put an inner tube in - that way I can at least repair the inner tube and not replace a BRAND NEW TYRE...

When I change the front tyre i'll put a tube in there too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: October 28, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »
:zydar:

My Bike passed the MOT Test with minor caveats - so i can legally ride it but I might get the bus for the next 2 days as the weather is terrible.

Yay though. :)

- Minor caveats - like on a driving test... I just realised that in music minor means sad or bad. Major would be happy or celebratory. haha.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1040 on: October 28, 2021, 07:21:42 AM »
That is good news. Did you start that other job that's closer to your home?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: October 28, 2021, 07:41:21 AM »
Not yet. Weirdly - people keep asking me in for interviews and then cancelling with no warning.

The optimist in me ( yes there IS one...) thinks it's cause something better is coming along...

Fingers crossed anyway. :(

But I said to my Dad - i'm 43 in a week. I'm so DONE with just settling for minimum wage jobs just cause they pay the bills and nothing else.

The job that finishes on Sunday - was my 10th different job in 15 years. All min wage. And for the most part i've not enjoyed most of them.

Like in the Mastodon song it's time to " Pursue happiness...with diligence..."

:D

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1042 on: October 28, 2021, 07:52:37 AM »
It must be tough to find a job that's enjoyable. I've been at the same place for 18 years. I don't hate it but I don't enjoy it either. Meh. At least I can read a lot when it's not busy.

And goddamn it. I washed the liner for my helmet yesterday and it's still fucking wet. I left it outside all night. I think it must've rained because it's still pretty much soaked. Luckily, I don't plan on going anywhere today. Hopefully it'll be dry tomorrow. Gots to go to my lovely job tomorrow.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: October 28, 2021, 09:00:49 AM »
I actually don't HATE my job. It's just that it's 30 mins there and 30 mins back every day on my 125.

If it's torrential rain it's really not fun at all.

If it was the same job but I could get there in 5 minutes on my bike I might stay.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1044 on: October 28, 2021, 12:53:12 PM »
I actually don't HATE my job. It's just that it's 30 mins there and 30 mins back every day on my 125.

If it's torrential rain it's really not fun at all.

If it was the same job but I could get there in 5 minutes on my bike I might stay.

I don't know the road conditions where you are or what kind of commute you have but a 125cc is a beating if you go anything over 45MPH. You should try and find a Suzuki Savage or S40. They are light and they are a 600cc but incredibly quick and parts are easily available. Check it out!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: October 28, 2021, 04:30:37 PM »
I have no intention of ever going bigger than 125 for a few reasons.

1. My 125 is dirt cheap to insure and tax and repair.

2. To do my 2-year Learner test to ride a 125cc on the road with L plates is £100. To ditch the L plates, carry a passenger and go on motorways is £700+ ridiculous.

3.My 125 is plenty fast enough for me. I can keep up with traffic and I don't hold anyone up. It's light and I don't feel unsafe. Plus it's very nice to cruise on the road at 60mph.

It's very stable.

:)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: October 29, 2021, 04:04:01 AM »
Well my bike passed, obviously  :police:

But they advised me to change my front fork seals as oil was leaking out. That's it.

I can ride myself to work and back again - so naturally it's raining.  ;D

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1047 on: October 29, 2021, 07:41:28 AM »
Well my bike passed, obviously  :police:

But they advised me to change my front fork seals as oil was leaking out. That's it.

I can ride myself to work and back again - so naturally it's raining.  ;D

Do you put anything on your helmet visor to keep the rain off? I had difficulty seeing through my visor on the way home from work a few nights ago when it was raining. It really sucked.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: October 29, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
Nah I just crack open the visor and when a car approaches with the lights blinding me - i just tilt my head back and look through the gap in the visor.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1049 on: October 29, 2021, 08:31:20 AM »
I have no intention of ever going bigger than 125 for a few reasons.

1. My 125 is dirt cheap to insure and tax and repair.

2. To do my 2-year Learner test to ride a 125cc on the road with L plates is £100. To ditch the L plates, carry a passenger and go on motorways is £700+ ridiculous.

3.My 125 is plenty fast enough for me. I can keep up with traffic and I don't hold anyone up. It's light and I don't feel unsafe. Plus it's very nice to cruise on the road at 60mph.

It's very stable.

:)

Yeah - I had forgotten about the strict guidelines Europe has for motorcycles. Here in the States we have no real restrictions and the stories of people buying a cruiser as their first bike and crashing are all too common.