Author Topic: Soilwork Appreciation  (Read 49109 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Soilwork Appreciation
« Reply #455 on: November 05, 2022, 07:34:44 PM »
The Live in the Heart of Helsinki DVD/CD had a pretty stellar setlist, including at least a song from every album.  They seem to have totally ignored the first two albums these days.  I guess the connection with the Night Flight Orchestra has drawn in a lot of fans who wouldn't care for their harsh-only material.

I think you could be onto something here.  There were more females there than I thought they'd be an I just kinda got the feeling not many were really concerned with the lack of old stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #456 on: November 05, 2022, 07:47:02 PM »
I mean, not even just women, growl-hesitant guys like 425 dig some of their more recent material, and probably wouldn't really be into The Chainheart Machine.  I think there might be a song or two on the album this year that my parents might be ok with (even Pain of Salvation was too growly for them growing up). 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: November 05, 2022, 07:56:03 PM »
Eh, I can't complain, I'm glad I saw them, they were tight and put on a great show regardless.  Funny though, Bjorn only mentioned something briefly about David while the band were playing the start of The Nurturing Glance.  Before it kicked in Bjorn said something like, "here's a song written by one of the best song writers in the world, David Andersson, may he RIP."  then it kicked in.  I thought there would have been a spoken segment between the songs but it was very brief.

Given the fact that the band played all but 3 songs from the new era, it will be interesting to see where they go from here now David is gone.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: November 05, 2022, 07:57:41 PM »
Also, Slyvain has a great stage presence and decent feel and solos on his parts, but the new bloke was very ordinary in his guitar playing.  Nothing wrong with it, just very run of the mill and nothing special, yet did his job.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #459 on: November 05, 2022, 08:08:08 PM »
Also, Slyvain has a great stage presence and decent feel and solos on his parts, but the new bloke was very ordinary in his guitar playing.  Nothing wrong with it, just very run of the mill and nothing special, yet did his job.

I saw them in 2016 and was front row for most of the show.  I loved watching Sylvain - he was raging the whole night.  We had a decent setlist that night - I can't remember all of the songs, but they played these:  The Chainheart Machine, Bastard Chain, Follow the Hollow, Rejection Role, Overload, Stabbing the Drama, The Crestfallen.  Then there were 2-3 songs from Living Infinite and at least The Ride Majestic, if not one more from that disc.  They also played Late to the Kill, Early to the Slaughter and Two Lives Worth of Reckoning.

I give them credit for committing to the new stuff, but I'd be bummed about the set too if they played 8 songs from the last two and barely any older songs. 

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #460 on: November 05, 2022, 08:12:33 PM »
Interesting, Simon's done some pretty good work in the past.  Satariel's Hydra, Edge of Sanity's Crimson II, plus other things from The Project Hate, Tiamat, Witchery, Wolf, and others. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: November 06, 2022, 03:08:50 AM »
Interesting, Simon's done some pretty good work in the past.  Satariel's Hydra, Edge of Sanity's Crimson II, plus other things from The Project Hate, Tiamat, Witchery, Wolf, and others.

Huh, didn't know the Crimson 2 reference.  I though Mike Wead did all the leads, looks like I'm wrong.  To be honest, I know nothing about him.

I'm not saying he's a bad guitarist, just didn't wow me last night.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: November 06, 2022, 03:10:59 AM »

I saw them in 2016 and was front row for most of the show.  I loved watching Sylvain - he was raging the whole night.  We had a decent setlist that night - I can't remember all of the songs, but they played these:  The Chainheart Machine, Bastard Chain, Follow the Hollow, Rejection Role, Overload, Stabbing the Drama, The Crestfallen.  Then there were 2-3 songs from Living Infinite and at least The Ride Majestic, if not one more from that disc.  They also played Late to the Kill, Early to the Slaughter and Two Lives Worth of Reckoning.

I give them credit for committing to the new stuff, but I'd be bummed about the set too if they played 8 songs from the last two and barely any older songs.

Looks like an amazing set.  I'm thinking maybe all the new stuff is a tribute to David, but a lot of the songs played last night were Bjorn songs so not sure.  Maybe they are just starting to turn into In Flames with the song selections.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #463 on: November 06, 2022, 11:58:55 AM »
I mean, not even just women, growl-hesitant guys like 425 dig some of their more recent material, and probably wouldn't really be into The Chainheart Machine.  I think there might be a song or two on the album this year that my parents might be ok with (even Pain of Salvation was too growly for them growing up). 
It's not just about vocals. I listen to plenty of growls-only music and I have no real interest in the first two albums because I simply don't find the music interesting.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #464 on: November 06, 2022, 02:37:44 PM »
Yeah, I suppose everyone has different tastes.  Honestly it was probably my least favorite album of theirs for quite awhile myself (still not sure where it would rank now without thinking about it more), and it seemed my online circle was far more over the moon about it than me.  It has a level of speed and vocal aggression on some tracks that makes even At The Gates seem calm and restrained.  Still, it's hard to imagine fans of melodeath not being able to appreciate the melodicism of tunes like these, unless those clean vocal choruses are an absolute necessity.  It's grown on me a lot over time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l-kAL6u5FU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST7caG6mXUM

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: November 06, 2022, 02:57:26 PM »
Chainheart Machine made my top 50.  It's a near perfect melodic death metal album IMO.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #466 on: November 06, 2022, 02:59:52 PM »
Chainheart Machine made my top 50.  It's a near perfect melodic death metal album IMO.

Oh hell yes!!!!  :metal  :tup

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #467 on: November 06, 2022, 03:10:31 PM »

A harsh-only melodeath album needs some good acoustic guitar work to be perfect, but that's my taste. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: November 06, 2022, 04:45:49 PM »

A harsh-only melodeath album needs some good acoustic guitar work to be perfect, but that's my taste.

I respect that and see where you are coming from.  I think that's one thing that made Chainheart really grow for me.  The vocals mixed with the type of metal behind it.  Not to mention a lot of bluesy guitar licks which made a great contrast again.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #469 on: November 07, 2022, 12:23:12 PM »
Honestly, I too am not a huge fan of Steelbath Suicide or Chainheart Machine. I like A Predator's Portrait much more.
It has the aggression of the first 2 albums, but also the identity of the later Soilwork albums, as Strid started to introduce clean vocals in the mix.

Soilwork are doing a Finnish tour in April, and I'm going to see them in a town near me! :tup

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #470 on: April 06, 2023, 03:27:13 AM »
Yesterday I was at a Soilwork show, in a town called Jyväskylä!

First time seeing them live, despite being a fan for over 10 years now.

They delivered and then some! :metal Setlist was almost exactly the same as the one from the Australian tour. Only 3 songs from the 1998-2010 era. I didn't mind. It would have been nice to hear some more deep cuts, but I was satisfied!

They are a seriously well oiled machine! Björn's vocals sounded great.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2023, 06:06:06 AM »
Yeah, I still am super impressed how good they were, especially Bjorn.  Incredible, dominating frontman.

Hopefully more variety in the sets in future tours but the new stuff did come across well.