Author Topic: Soilwork Appreciation  (Read 49101 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Soilwork Appreciation
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:55 AM »
Hmmm...just listened to the second disc.  It could be better than the first.  This album is really something special.

Antidotes, Leech, Sentiment and Parasite are all absolutely incredible.

Just read Soilwork are coming to Aus in October too.  Just might have to go and see them.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »
I have the last week spent more time with disc 2 because for some reason I automatically kept putting on disc 1. There are some really strong songs that have grown on me on disc 2 like Leech, The living Infinite II, Paradise Blues, Long Live The Misanthrope and Rise Above The Sentiment. The intro riff on Leech and the song in general just blows me away everytime! It has the best song structure on the album imo.  :metal

Wolfking...you may be right, this disc may actually top the first.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2013, 05:18:19 AM »
I'm torn between the discs to be honest.  Number 1 is just straight forward Soilwork, but disc 2 is more experimental but perhaps has more to offer.  This is my album of the year so far.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
BUMP!

Nothing really that exciting but they released a new lyric video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N20rH7fRKhE

TLI is still a great album so I don't mind letting them spread the words about this masterpiece.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2014, 02:50:31 AM »
I love the guitar leads in RATS at 2:32-3:05. Starting with harmonies into a black metal riff and ending with a kick-ass solo.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2014, 05:44:14 AM »
I love the guitar leads in RATS at 2:32-3:05. Starting with harmonies into a black metal riff and ending with a kick-ass solo.

That's probably my fav from the whole album, and seriously one of the best things the band have ever done.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
Posted yesterday on Facebook
To celebrate our October 18th show at Tokyo’s Loud Park festival, Avalon/Marquee is releasing a special limited edition EP entitled Beyond The Infinite! It contains five unreleased tracks from The Living Infinite sessions and was recorded, mixed and mastered at Fascination Street by Jens Bogren and Johan Örnborg. Yes, this release is for Asia only, and no, we don't when these tracks will be available elsewhere.

Beyond The Infinite tracklist:
1. My Nerves, Your Everyday Tool
2. These Absent Eyes
3. Resisting The Current
4. When Sound Collides
5. Forever Lost In Vain

Judging from the comments, a lot of people are not very happy about this release in Japan only.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2014, 05:11:01 AM »
Posted yesterday on Facebook
To celebrate our October 18th show at Tokyo’s Loud Park festival, Avalon/Marquee is releasing a special limited edition EP entitled Beyond The Infinite! It contains five unreleased tracks from The Living Infinite sessions and was recorded, mixed and mastered at Fascination Street by Jens Bogren and Johan Örnborg. Yes, this release is for Asia only, and no, we don't when these tracks will be available elsewhere.

Beyond The Infinite tracklist:
1. My Nerves, Your Everyday Tool
2. These Absent Eyes
3. Resisting The Current
4. When Sound Collides
5. Forever Lost In Vain

Judging from the comments, a lot of people are not very happy about this release in Japan only.

Damn right!  I'm sure these tracks will surface online, but I'd happily spend my cash on it if they released it worldwide.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »
I don't see what the drama is, you order from Japan or wait for the inevitable NB release?

Offline adace

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2014, 02:02:26 AM »
Goddamn how many songs did they write for TLI?  :lol

Sounds cool though!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2014, 04:21:36 AM »
Sounds pretty good, I've ordered the EP from CD Japan along with Solution 45 debut, that I somehow missed getting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2014, 05:35:27 AM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2014, 01:12:44 AM »
This lot arrived today

You can't see from the pic, buy the vinyl is a beautiful ocean blue, got it for just $8.82 plus shipping from Amazon.
The Beyond The Infinite EP is outstanding, more of the same killer riff-age and songs that made The Living Infinite my fave release of last year.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2014, 01:34:34 AM »
Awesome man! Actually forgot about the EP, will have to do something about that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2014, 05:05:26 AM »
That's beautiful.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
What is the general consensus on The Panic Broadcast album?
I don't have it and can get the CD/DVD for a decent price if the recommendations are good.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:04:48 PM by gazinwales »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2014, 11:26:17 PM »
It's not really in the same league as TLI, but I really enjoyed it.  It didn't really live up to the hype of Peter coming back and is nothing like old Soilwork, but it's worthy of a purchase IMO.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2014, 12:28:32 AM »
What is the general consensus on The Panic Broadcast album?
I don't have it and can get the CD/DVD for a decent price if the recommendations are good.

The Akuma Afterglow was the song that got me hooked in Soilwork! There are other excellent songs as well like: Night Comes Clean, Enter Dog of Pavlov, Two Lives Worth of Reckoning and Let This River Flow.

IMO, its up there with their best albums with The Living Infinite and Natural Born Chaos

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2014, 12:58:27 AM »
I love The Panic Broadcast, it was my first album of theirs that I got.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2014, 02:32:14 AM »
Cheers fellas, I would not expect it to be on par with TLI, that to me is their career defining masterpiece and the bench level for MDM in the past few years.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2014, 05:26:31 AM »
Great to see positive opinions on it.  I've been into Soilwork since NBC, so I'll always be into their older stuff more than the new stuff, that includes TLI.  I think it's definitely their best in a long time, but over time, it still doesn't top Chainheart, NBC or APP for me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »
Great to see positive opinions on it.  I've been into Soilwork since NBC, so I'll always be into their older stuff more than the new stuff, that includes TLI. I think it's definitely their best in a long time, but over time, it still doesn't top Chainheart, NBC or APP for me.
Glad to see some old timer fans! :tup I myself have been a fan for a long time. I even saw them in a small club during the APP era with roughly 40 in the audience. I was a big fan of their older drummer Henry Ranta back then, Dirk is in a league of his own though and I was pretty damn excited once I heard Dirk was doing session work for Soilwork.

SbS, TCM and APP have a special old school flair to it compare to their other albums. The songs and style is a bit diffrent and the production is more organic with less editing than NBC and future albums. I love APP, NBC and FNF. With that said I do like some of their newer albums especially their latest which I think is their magnum opus. Just the fact that it's a double album with basically no filler tracks is pretty damn unique in the MDM scene.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
Chainheart made my top 50.  It's incredible.

Great to see positive opinions on it.  I've been into Soilwork since NBC, so I'll always be into their older stuff more than the new stuff, that includes TLI. I think it's definitely their best in a long time, but over time, it still doesn't top Chainheart, NBC or APP for me.
Glad to see some old timer fans! :tup I myself have been a fan for a long time. I even saw them in a small club during the APP era with roughly 40 in the audience. I was a big fan of their older drummer Henry Ranta back then, Dirk is in a league of his own though and I was pretty damn excited once I heard Dirk was doing session work for Soilwork.

SbS, TCM and APP have a special old school flair to it compare to their other albums. The songs and style is a bit diffrent and the production is more organic with less editing than NBC and future albums. I love APP, NBC and FNF. With that said I do like some of their newer albums especially their latest which I think is their magnum opus. Just the fact that it's a double album with basically no filler tracks is pretty damn unique in the MDM scene.

I can agree with this.

Henry Ranta was amazing too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »
Whoah, wait a sec here fellas, I'm no newbie  ;D
Been a fan since APP, lost interest after NBC and was re-ignited last year with TLI.
Sop I am missing a few and filling in a few blanks  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
Whoah, wait a sec here fellas, I'm no newbie  ;D
Been a fan since APP, lost interest after NBC and was re-ignited last year with TLI.
Sop I am missing a few and filling in a few blanks  :metal

I meant the other two guys that commented that it was the album that got them into the band.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »
Picked up The Panic Broadcast today and yes it's pretty damned good.
Got the CD/DVD for only $14.99 from a local store in Sydney.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2014, 04:48:25 AM »
Love their co-video they did with IF back in the day:

Soilwork - Rejection Role
In Flames - Trigger

Just a cool idea!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2014, 05:03:28 AM »
Love their co-video they did with IF back in the day:

Soilwork - Rejection Role
In Flames - Trigger

Just a cool idea!

I think both of these videos might have been my introduction to melodeath.  Love both of these and a great idea.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »
It was 1993 when I bought Carcass Heartwork that was my first 'extreme' metal album.
But it would have been Bodom's Something Wild that was my first proper MDM album.

Back to Soilwork, how is Sworn To A Great Divide?
I've read a lot of negative things about it, some even says it's their worst?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2014, 04:50:54 AM »
Back to Soilwork, how is Sworn To A Great Divide?
I've read a lot of negative things about it, some even says it's their worst?

I really liked it, there's a lot of great catchy songs on it.  It probably would be their weakest, but that is just cause their discography is so strong.  Actually, I'd have to re-listen but there's a chance that I would take it over TPB.

Also, I listened to Stabbing the Drama yesterday and forgot how much of a cracking album that one is.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2014, 04:28:54 AM »
So, I used to quite like Soilwork back in the day, and enjoyed the three album run of Predator's Portrait - Natural Born Chaos - Figure Number Five (never really had any interest in their first two albums). I then lost interest years ago and didn't bother keeping up with any of their new material.

Discovered The Living Infinite recently and I really like it, so I got that and have been listening to it quite a bit - solid album. I'm just now going back over the albums I missed - I'm a few tracks into The Panic Broadcast and so far it's pretty good as well.

Based on various places, it seems the other two are not very highly regarded. Should I lower my expectations a bit for those?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2014, 06:08:37 AM »
Based on various places, it seems the other two are not very highly regarded. Should I lower my expectations a bit for those?

Sworn was always pretty poorly received, but I always thought Stabbing the Drama was really well received.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2014, 03:24:14 AM »
So, I've become a little bit obsessed with This Momentary Bliss. I'm having a bit of a tough time at the moment, and the song just has such an incredible energy and surprisingly good lyrics (or at least lyrics that I find myself really getting into) and I've been listening to it on repeat quite a lot.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2014, 05:08:39 AM »
Best song on the first disc.