Author Topic: Soilwork Appreciation  (Read 49288 times)

Online gazinwales

Re: Soilwork Appreciation
« Reply #420 on: August 19, 2022, 08:23:29 PM »
One my second listen to the new album, so far delighted at what I am hearing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #421 on: August 19, 2022, 08:55:39 PM »
I'm digging this!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: August 19, 2022, 08:56:39 PM »
Why haven't I gone out and picked this up yet?  Glad to hear positive things.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: August 21, 2022, 03:33:07 AM »
Picked up a copy on CD today.  Just started my listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: August 21, 2022, 04:26:25 AM »
Hmmm....I need another listen.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #425 on: August 22, 2022, 01:55:48 AM »
Has another listen today in my car, I'd give it a solid 8/10.
The two instrumentals I'd drop and a couple others, for 10 killer tunes.
The rest could be 'bonus' tracks or a limited edition disc.
That said it's still a banging album with lots of interesting twists.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: August 22, 2022, 05:05:43 AM »
I've had 3 listens now and I'm not sure.  Not quite feeling it yet.  There's quite a few songs on here that are pretty bland, weak and quite forgettable.

The singles are all fantastic though.  Great catchy tunes.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #427 on: August 27, 2022, 01:14:08 PM »
"Övergivenheten" didn't blow me away on first listen, but this album is the definition of a grower!

I like it more every time I spin it. it's going to be a while, before I can attempt to rank it in their discography though.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #428 on: August 27, 2022, 07:35:19 PM »
I listened to it within a day or two of it coming out, but I'm gonna need more listens and time to process it.  The singles were ok but didn't really connect with me, and only one song on the full album so far really resonated with me ("Vultures").  Even the middle portion of the solo for that song feels really stilted, but the chorus is pretty addictive, it has some nice riffs and blasts, and I love the chilled out dorian ending.  Overall the album feels like B-sides from the prior album mixed with NFO so far, but it does seem like the sort of album that will unfurl itself eventually.  Teleporting someone from '00 when they'd just released TCHM to hearing this would be a real mindfuck. 

Edit:  "Death, I Hear You Calling" is probably the second standout so far now that I'm skimming the album again a bit. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 08:15:06 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #429 on: September 03, 2022, 09:56:03 PM »
Got my first full listen in. Was surprised, is mostly what I can say so far. I agree this will need some more listens. Seems Speed is saving the brutal stuff for Act Of Denial because there was very little 'Death' here in terms of Melodic Death Metal. This album is kind of all over the place. Just need to get used to it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: September 04, 2022, 03:35:40 AM »
I've had a few spins now and it's definitely a grower.  A lot of the tunes I thought were weak and while some lack memorable melodies, each is opening up quite nicely.  Slyvain only getting one solo is a joke, but I guess he doesn't write anything.  That's one thing this whole thing lacks, memorable guitar work.  They are a different band now and not focused on that aspect but a few more rippers would have beefed things up a bit. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #431 on: September 04, 2022, 12:21:23 PM »
It's kind of like a version of what they went through in the mid-00s around the time of FNF.  They were tired of being a "guitar solo band" and de-emphasized them for awhile.  But they eventually came back. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #432 on: September 14, 2022, 08:16:11 AM »
Damn.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #433 on: September 14, 2022, 08:17:17 AM »
Just read from both Soilwork and TNFO Instagram pages, that David Andersson has passed away! :( :(

What an awful loss for both bands! Primary songwriter for both bands during the last 10+ years. Guy who is responsible for some of my favorite music of the last decade. Going to blast Soilwork and TNFO all night for his memory.

Brings the lyrical themes of the latest Soilwork album into new focus. :(

R.I.P Dave.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #434 on: September 14, 2022, 08:53:53 AM »
Unbelievable... really sad... I truly love his music both on Soilwork and TNFO. What a loss...
The strangest thing is that he was passing throught all of this and being super productive at same time in the last 10 years.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #435 on: September 14, 2022, 09:15:21 AM »
Oh wow  :( :(

Online gazinwales

« Reply #436 on: September 14, 2022, 11:57:28 AM »
Saw the news via both bands FB page and I had to read it twice, couldn't believe my eyes.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #437 on: September 14, 2022, 12:10:15 PM »
Saw the news via both bands FB page and I had to read it twice, couldn't believe my eyes.

Neither could I - it's just awful.  Listening to a song like Death I Hear You Calling just gives me the chills today.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #438 on: September 14, 2022, 02:28:22 PM »
Wow, this is terrible.  As much as I liked Peter and Ola, and never would have thought they could be properly replaced, it was quite serendipitous that arguably SW's best album with TLI happened with David and Sylvain revitalizing the band. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: September 14, 2022, 04:31:06 PM »
OMG.  I must admit, when I purchased the new album and was flicking through the booklet, when I saw the pic of David, I actually thought to myself, "Jeez, he doesn't look well/happy at all."   :(

What a tragic turn of events.  His songwriting was what brought Soilwork back to life and into a brand new era.  The Ride Majestic has become one of my all time favs, a perfect album with incredible songwriting.  This is just tragic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: September 14, 2022, 04:32:38 PM »
Unbelievable... really sad... I truly love his music both on Soilwork and TNFO. What a loss...
The strangest thing is that he was passing throught all of this and being super productive at same time in the last 10 years.

And high quality too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: September 14, 2022, 05:12:21 PM »
Damn, just read David was a doctor also.  What a tragic loss.  :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: September 15, 2022, 04:05:23 PM »
I've had 3 listens now and I'm not sure.  Not quite feeling it yet.  There's quite a few songs on here that are pretty bland, weak and quite forgettable.

The singles are all fantastic though.  Great catchy tunes.

I kind of have the opposite opinion on the album now, I think the whole thing is fantastic.  Put it back in the car due to the tragic news yesterday but it keeps opening up.  The songs I thought were bland, weak and forgettable, now I think are mature, creative and very interesting and have great replay value.  Reminds me of the Ride Majestic the way that album took a long time to open up but became brilliant.  It won't beat that album, but it's better than Verkligheten.  Not sure how it rates against Atlantic yet though.

This passing though is hitting me harder than one has for a while, not sure why.  :(

Offline Glasser

« Reply #443 on: September 26, 2022, 01:06:58 AM »
I'm so disturbed over this. Alcohol and mental illness was the cause and it crushes me knowing he was a sufferer. The "Invisible Monster" has taken another life.  :| :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: September 26, 2022, 04:51:11 AM »
Yeah it's shocking it got that bad that he had no control and he's no longer here.  Such a smart guy but what a demon to take to the grave.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #445 on: September 26, 2022, 05:08:08 AM »
It seems a lot of extremely talented musicians have their demons, DA will be sorely missed by all.
Totally forgot about the band's November AU tour, looking forward to finally seeing them in the flesh.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: September 26, 2022, 05:32:39 AM »
It seems a lot of extremely talented musicians have their demons, DA will be sorely missed by all.
Totally forgot about the band's November AU tour, looking forward to finally seeing them in the flesh.

Yeah, looking forward to it too mate.  Should be a cracking show.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #447 on: October 01, 2022, 12:22:55 PM »
https://youtu.be/FTQ5akx7syQ

Has anybody heard this?

This is a song from the "Metal: Hellsinger" video game, and Björn is providing vocals for this one!
Damn that was intense, that could almost be a Soilwork song! A ****ing fantastic Soilwork song! :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »
That whole soundtrack from the game and the game itself is amazing!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: November 05, 2022, 03:51:29 PM »
Saw these guys last night.  It was a wonderful show.  I'll be honest though, I hated the setlist.  I like new Soilwork but the amount of new stuff didn't sit well with me.  Only Bastard Chain, Nerve and Stabbing the Drama in the way of old stuff.  I think it needed more balance.

Must say though, Bjorn was incredible.  His vocals were on point and he's a great front man.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #450 on: November 05, 2022, 04:03:53 PM »
Saw these guys last night.  It was a wonderful show.  I'll be honest though, I hated the setlist.  I like new Soilwork but the amount of new stuff didn't sit well with me.  Only Bastard Chain, Nerve and Stabbing the Drama in the way of old stuff.  I think it needed more balance.

Must say though, Bjorn was incredible.  His vocals were on point and he's a great front man.
That's disappointing to have so few old songs. How long was the setlist?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: November 05, 2022, 04:22:30 PM »

That's disappointing to have so few old songs. How long was the setlist?

Lucky to be an hour and a half.  16 songs I think.  After those 3 songs I think 5 from the new one, 3 from Verkilighten, 3 from TLI, 1 from Ride and 1 from Atlantic.  Ending the main set with Death Diviner and closing the show with Stalfagel was fucking strange.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #452 on: November 05, 2022, 05:28:39 PM »
Nothing at all from NBC?  Yikes. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: November 05, 2022, 06:48:37 PM »
This was the set from the night before;

Övergivenheten
This Momentary Bliss
Stabbing the Drama
The Living Infinite I
Is It in Your Darkness
Electric Again
The Living Infinite II
Bastard Chain
The Nurturing Glance
The Ride Majestic
Harvest Spine
Death Diviner

Encore:
Nerve
Arrival
Valleys of Gloam
Stålfågel

Only difference is they swapped VOG and TRM, but VOG came mid set.  I almost didn't go due to this setlist as I was on 13 days in a row for work but glad I did.  It was funny, a lot of people around me seemed to really take to the new stuff.  The reactions were somewhat similar to the likes of Bastard Chain.  It was weird.  If I just got say two more, like a Follow the Hollw and Rejection Role, it would have made all the difference.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #454 on: November 05, 2022, 07:20:33 PM »
The Live in the Heart of Helsinki DVD/CD had a pretty stellar setlist, including at least a song from every album.  They seem to have totally ignored the first two albums these days.  I guess the connection with the Night Flight Orchestra has drawn in a lot of fans who wouldn't care for their harsh-only material.